g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Devil81

Let them finish every remaining game via penalty shoot out?

Fair enough it's a crap way of finishing things but at least will be all done quickly and we can get a final position for everyone.

Scrap the European tournaments, I think it's more important to finish the domestic leagues.

Five takers for each team and if it ends a draw after five pens it's a draw.

You could get them all on one pitch in zones and televise the event, at least it would give us something interesting to watch.

diawl_coch

Fair enough it's a crap way of finishing things but at least will be all done quickly and we can get a final position for everyone.

Scrap the European tournaments, I think it's more important to finish the domestic leagues.

You could get them all on one pitch in zones and televise the event, at least it would give us something interesting to watch.
Could be a solution. No need to be in the same place.

Miniature plastic replica of the Premier League trophy to the winners.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If they can't start playing again in a reasonable time:

Give Liverpool a 3/4 size trophy, have some sort of play off for Champions League spots and don't relegate anyone. Promote a reasonable number of teams and have a 30 team prem next season with the bottom 10 getting relegated.

It's not fair but neither is life so deal with it.

Devil may care

Let's get something straight, according to pretty much every expert out there, a vaccine is not in the cards for the near future. It seems to takes a long time to develop a vaccine for a new virus that can be approved for people, from what I've been reading. Can we afford the world to stop for possibly a year? It's simply not sustainable. A testing is not the be all and end all, but it's a MAJOR step in getting the world to spin again. Again, I'm not an expert, but I would imagine if you can test people without a lab and get results within minutes, then what the hell is stopping you from getting games going again in closed stadiums and televising them? If the proper measures are taken, it can be done. I haven't yet heard a valid reason why not.
On the two bolded points, you're right in the first part that the world can't stop, but football matches, cinemas, restaurants etc....they are not essential for the world to keep moving, they are luxuries of life, with streaming services available everywhere and food still aplenty on the shelves, there is no logic in starting up non essential things again until there is more of an understanding of this virus, I mean when it started it was only supposedly a risk to old people and people with weak immune systems, but this morning on the news a 13 year old boy who was fit and healthy has died from this, there shouldn't be any rush to get non essential stuff going again where the potential for more spreading can happen, and wasting resources setting up tests before and after every game just so there can be some football in empty stadiums is the epitome of non essential when the players could simply stay in their homes and wait this out.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You mean you don't like the one where the last 9 games count for this AND next season???
In this Coronavirus phase we agree on only one thing which makes sense for all the people of the UK and other countries:

Football is not the most important thing right now so - Null and Void.

Not good for United too but the most sensible thing to do.

fck

Supports
Bayern
In this Coronavirus phase we agree on only one thing which makes sense for all the people of the UK and other countries:

The Football is not important argument can be used for every option though.
Still don't understand why many are so eager to cancel this Season. I mean who cares about next Season right now anyway. Let's try to finish this one because it's the fairest option and most importantly still possible.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
On the two bolded points, you're right in the first part that the world can't stop, but football matches, cinemas, restaurants etc....they are not essential for the world to keep moving, they are luxuries of life, with streaming services available everywhere and food still aplenty on the shelves, there is no logic in starting up non essential things again until there is more of an understanding of this virus, I mean when it started it was only supposedly a risk to old people and people with weak immune systems, but this morning on the news a 13 year old boy who was fit and healthy has died from this, there shouldn't be any rush to get non essential stuff going again where the potential for more spreading can happen, and wasting resources setting up tests before and after every game just so there can be some football in empty stadiums is the epitome of non essential when the players could simply stay in their homes and wait this out.
Simple answer would be to finish the season as it is with current placings standing as final. That way everyone could focus on the important things which is to get through this crisis with as few casualties as possible. Football could then possibly look to starting a new season - hopefully as planned - in August with all promotion & relegation issues settled, along with European places sorted out, & of course, the Premier League having new champions. Some clubs would fare better than others, but there are obviously more important issues that need to be addressed. I think that's something we can all agree on.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Still don't understand why many are so eager to cancel this Season. I mean who cares about next Season right now anyway. Let's try to finish this one because it's the fairest option and most importantly still possible.
:lol: Come on mate, this is a Manchester United forum. We all know why they're so keen on voiding the season despite all the strawman arguments.

Smores

For Liverpool does it really matter if the season is cancelled or finished now? Either way it'll be considered a Liverpool title but not a proper one.

Whereas it makes a big difference to those teams in relegation or European positions.

Finish the season if you can but it'll have to be voided otherwise because you can't disadvantage all the other teams just because Liverpool want something to be official.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Football cant be using NHS resources at this time.

Thats the bottom line. Torypool,ABU Dhabi fc, Glazers etc shouldn't be allowed use NHS resources during a pandemic.

Why should some multi-millionaire footballer take up valuable resources at this time if they get injured?

Last edited:

fck

Supports
Bayern
For Liverpool does it really matter if the season is cancelled or finished now? Either way it'll be considered a Liverpool title but not a proper one.
you want to brand Liverpools title with an Asterik, really? They won't win it because of this crisis so I don't know exactly what point you are trying to make here.

0le

Okay, how about the following:
- all contracts extended by one year.
- all sponsorships extended by one year.
- summer 2020 transfer window suspended.
- season 2020/2021 is cancelled.
- season 2019/2020 continues and is finished at some point either this year or early next year.
- spring/summer 2021 play the Euro's.
- resume 2021/2022 as normal.
- all international friendlies cancelled.

Would that work?

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan

Whereas it makes a big difference to those teams in relegation or European positions.

Finish the season if you can but it'll have to be voided otherwise because you can't disadvantage all the other teams just because Liverpool want something to be official.
The idea that world footballing decisions are being made to revolve around Liverpool is a really strange one. If these decisions are being made, other stuff is under consideration.

To your first point, if Liverpool win it on the pitch then any attempt to discredit it would be silly. Does anyone ever discuss Thomas's famous title winning goal for Arsenal in the context of Hillsborough and consequently Liverpool having to play a ridiculously condensed schedule before that game? No, because Arsenal won it on the pitch and deserved it.

Football is not important right now, neither though is the sanctity of a schedule for football that's not even been played. The idea that void=moral, everything else=immoral is really disingenuous (as is the opposite, this is not black and white)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
- season 2019/2020 continues and is finished at some point either this year or early next year.

Would that work?
It would destroy the lower leagues.

Josh 76

Would that work?
Yeah
A whole season removed from the calendar with Liverpool at their peak.
I'll be happy with that.

fck

Supports
Bayern

Thats the bottom line. Torypool,ABU Dhabi fc, Glazers etc shouldn't be allowed use NHS resources during a pandemic.

Why should some multi-millionaire footballer take up valuable resources at this time if they get injured?
yeah not this time but in 1-2 months time.
And going by that logic you have to then ban many activities that could result in needing NHS resources.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: Come on mate, this is a Manchester United forum. We all know why they're so keen on voiding the season despite all the strawman arguments.
And you're liverpool. Explaining your ludicrous post above about keeping the current standings as it suits your lot. Ignoring that almost every other position and league is competitive or has teams with games in hand.
So is anything but "simple"

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Course it matters. It either counts or it doesn't.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Right now that obviously goes without saying, people are obviously refering to when the situation has "calmed down" (if we can call it that) back to the situation of late Feb/very early March, whenever that may be.

arnie_ni

Would that work?
Players will never agree to point 1

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I agree with the first part of the bolded bit, not the second one. Football is not the most important thing right now, indeed, but a "soooo... NULL AND VOID!" reasoning doesn't make sense either and is premature. Let's just not focus on football, solve the current crisis, and once that is done, assess the remaining options.

stevoc

If they can't start playing again in a reasonable time:

Give Liverpool a 3/4 size trophy, have some sort of play off for Champions League spots and don't relegate anyone. Promote a reasonable number of teams and have a 30 team prem next season with the bottom 10 getting relegated.

It's not fair but neither is life so deal with it.
So a 58 game league campaign?

stevoc

Of course but there has to and there will be a cut off point. They can't just keep it dangling for months on end.

The clubs have to budget for next season, theres a transfer window coming up, loads of contracts are ending, Uefa/Fifa, other football associations, sponsors, kit manufacturers, broadcasters, insurance companies etc. will all want some assurance as to what the FA/PL's plans are, what is a likely time frame and when/if this season is going to be completed and when the next season will be starting.

Theres a lot of moving parts that need to be sorted out, the Premier League does not exist in a bubble.

My personal opinion is sometime around June/July if it can't be completed (which by that stage it likely won't be able to) then it will have to be null and voided. I just don't see how it could drag on into next season.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Of course but there has to and there will be a cut off point. They can't just keep it dangling for months on end.

The clubs have to budget for next season, theres a transfer window coming up, loads of contracts are ending, Uefa/Fifa, other football associations, sponsors, kit manufacturers, broadcasters, insurance companies etc. will all want some assurance as to what the FA/PL's plans are, what is a likely time frame and when/if this season is going to be completed and when the next season will be starting.

Theres a lot of moving parts that need to be sorted out, the Premier League does not exist in a bubble.

My personal opinion is sometime around June/July if it can't be completed (which by that stage it likely won't be able to) then it will have to be null and voided. I just don't see how it could drag on into next season.
But by saying this bolded part, you're already taking into account a very specific scenario and timeframe where football can't resume in June/July but would be perfectly fine to start mid-August. What are the chances that happens? Imo there's a much bigger chance we can either i) resume sooner and finish the season in time, or ii) not resume in June/July but cannot resume in August either. What's most important in that case? Say the FA are given the green light to start up again at the end of September or something like that. What takes precedence, finishing the 19/20 season or starting the 20/21 season (which is also already pretty fecked by then)?

There's just no way to tell right now. We can only start coming up with solutions once it's perfectly clear when it's safe to resume the season again. In my opinion, once the break has cut into next season, it makes sense to finish this one first and come up with a solution for next season (just shorten it, most likely) because I think that would have the least legal (and financial?) implications.

Phurry

Furry Fecker

Would that work?
It fails at point 1, you cannot arbitrarily force a contract to be extended.
It fails at point 2 for the same reason as point 1.
Stopped reading after that to be honest.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's getting voided. They cannot use present standings as final and it will be far too long before football can resume again for their to be the rationale or motivation to finish this season by that point - not to mention the minefield that will become of player's transfers, loan deals and contracts. They'll start afresh, and when the time comes this season will be a distant memory and the vast majority of fans will just be grateful to have football back. I mean, the Liverpool-Atletico game already feels like a lifetime ago, imagine how long ago the most recent Prem fixture your team played will feel in several months?

Rooney24

Lockdown is getting to some people in this thread I see with some of the ideas put forward :lol:

D. Mungai

Would that work?
-Who gives such an order?
-In which territory will such an order be enforced? Eg. Cancel summer window in Europe or whole world? They is talk China might start playing after 2 months, where, what and how to do with them eg Ighalo, and other players in Chinese league, Singapore leagues?
- if the order is only in European football, what happens in other leagues windows, summer, contracts and sponsorships, signing players from Africa, South America, Asia?

Its not easy to tailor made solutions because it will not work. The easiest solution is to void if play can't resume by end of June, this I and some few posters here said from 1st time it was suspended. June is the cut off day. It avoids complications, and trying to cook up stories.

Smores

The idea that world footballing decisions are being made to revolve around Liverpool is a really strange one. If these decisions are being made, other stuff is under consideration.

To your first point, if Liverpool win it on the pitch then any attempt to discredit it would be silly. Does anyone ever discuss Thomas's famous title winning goal for Arsenal in the context of Hillsborough and consequently Liverpool having to play a ridiculously condensed schedule before that game? No, because Arsenal won it on the pitch and deserved it.

Football is not important right now, neither though is the sanctity of a schedule for football that's not even been played. The idea that void=moral, everything else=immoral is really disingenuous (as is the opposite, this is not black and white)
I meant finished now as in current standings are final, not competing all games. If you've won it on the pitch of course that counts.

We most likely won't do that though. My question in that respect is would you as a Liverpool fan really care if the FA classifies it as official win or not? Given it'll disadvantage others if official and nobody else really cares because they'll make their own determination if it's a proper win (which it wouldn't be).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Uefa seem set to announce that they will postpone the UCL and EL to August. How on the world will they complete this and have the qualifiers for next year's UCL?!

The feeling seem to be that this season is going to be complete no matter how far this goes. Probably even if it eats up into next seasons fixtures. They'll probably try to squash next year's fixtures into a tighter schedule.

iHicksy

Oh sorry is thousands of people dying and people thinking football is somehow some kind of special entity driven by money that should be allowed to put even more people at risk of death now a strawman argument?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Uefa seem set to announce that they will postpone the UCL and EL to August. How on the world will they complete this and have the qualifiers for next year's UCL?!

The feeling seem to be that this season is going to be complete no matter how far this goes. Probably even if it eats up into next seasons fixtures. They'll probably try to squash next year's fixtures into a tighter schedule.
AVB presented the idea of having the next two full seasons in calendar years leading upto the world cup.

If that's the case Europe will have 7 full months (well 6 as a months break will be needed in between, especially with what is inevitably going to be a hectic WC and Euro's filled next two years) to fill out the season somehow.

reddevilchennai

I work for an engineering company constructing the 60,000 capacity stadium in Al Khor.
Nowhere near ready to hold a camp as you’re suggesting.
I stayed in Al Khor behind Lulu Mall. Great to know

I reckon Romero will be played in all these penalty shootout then.

But they will never come to this conclusion.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Would seem bizarre to announce a postponement of euro games, without the same agreement on leagues to me.
We're either going to have an absolute hotch potch of organising, or we're going to have to accept next season is some sort of half measures/heavily cut/ write off.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Oh sorry is thousands of people dying and people thinking football is somehow some kind of special entity driven by money that should be allowed to put even more people at risk of death now a strawman argument?
You do realize you can care for life and football? They're not mutually exclusive.

iHicksy

You do realize you can care for life and football? They're not mutually exclusive.
Thanks for proving my point. If you care about life then you shouldn't be trying to find some workaround to finish a football season because it directly endangers people for something as insignificant as football. People's lives and football aren't even in the same category. You realise the entire country is in lockdown and people are dying and losing their jobs everyday? To add further pressure to an NHS that can't cope by putting people in even more risk potentially killing and infecting others for the sake of football is a travesty. Hence why it's not a fecking strawman argument.

macheda14

They should cancel the league, and if it’s safe postpone the CL and Europa until August - we win that and we’re in the CL next season. Sorted.