Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, I honestly don't see it happening.

Regarding what that means for European football, pretty much nothing if Germany finish theirs since I agree that we won't see European football for a bit, let alone domestic for that matter.
A lot of the other arguments go round and round don't they.

Neither side gets the others' certainty about things.
The "it has to finish" is the one I find most inexplicable. Why does it? Everything in the world is affected, and most of us aren't demanding to go back in time to pick up exactly as we were.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am happy for the league to be completed, one way or the other, in order to decide European places and relegation. But I think that we can all agree that this season should not form part of the permanent record books.
I think this "European places" thing will eventually be a total red herring. It takes a real stroke of optimism to think there will be European football next year.

EwanI Ted

I think this "European places" thing will eventually be a total red herring. It takes a real stroke of optimism to think there will be European football next year.
The only reason for any optimism with Europe is that you can feasibly start the competitions a lot later than you can with the league. If they were prepared to compromise and play single round knockouts, you could start each competition in October, at which point it seems like behind closed doors games will be possible. If a country was still suffering with a breakout they could play their 'home' games on a neutral ground in a country that was doing better. Not great, but for clubs starved of attendance income it would still be welcome. And there's a very good chance that by the time the final comes round in May 2021 it'll be played in front of fans again.

Fridge chutney

I think people have taken this seriously for probably the same amount of time you have and that should be remembered.
Definitely not, I had my team working from home in early March. The UK government response, in my opinion, has been slow and borderline shambolic.

Pep's Suit

Germany's approach was act like nothing's happening so I'm not surprised their league bosses want to restart in May. We'll see what's their situation like 2-3 weeks from now.

Fridge chutney

I've tried to warn all my friends who smoke cigarettes and shisha to just stop in order to clear their lungs as much as possible. This disease, although statistically more focused on a category of people, can be pretty nasty as many cases show young and seemingly healthy people suffer from it, die from it. Stats are one thing and reality is another indeed.
Exactly, well said. The doctors I know are concerned, they are working on the front lines and i have spoken to them extensively. And that makes me concerned.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
All of that doesn't matter. They'd be complaints either way. The fact is its looking more likely to be cancelled than it was a few weeks ago

You best prepare yourself
Haha that's what you are trying to convince yourself. It's no more likely to be cancelled than it was a few weeks ago. Absolutely no one know how things will be in a few months. I'm glad the premier league are taking their time and not being hasty into making a decision so soon.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
So bundesliga is starting in May... and some on here some think it's out of the real of possibility for our league starting in July (2 months after)

You guys are incredible.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So bundesliga is starting in May... and some on here some think it's out of the real of possibility for our league starting in July (2 months after)

You guys are incredible.
I’ll wager with you that this season won’t finish and I’ll leave the caf if it does. If it’s cancelled you leave?

cyberman

You guys are incredible.
You think Germany and the shit show sandwich called the UK handling of this are on the same, linear path?

PoTMS

You guys are incredible.
Er you what? No, they're not. They agreed to suspend Bundesliga until April 30 at the earliest just like the PL. There's no actual way either will restart in May.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Exactly, well said. The doctors I know are concerned, they are working on the front lines and i have spoken to them extensively. And that makes me concerned.
I used to smoke some shisha and cigarettes but not for 17 days now, I'm doing cardio everyday. I have no idea if it will be much of an help but it's something I guess

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I’ll wager with you that this season won’t finish and I’ll leave the caf if it does. If it’s cancelled you leave?
whatever the outcome there could be quite a few people leaving:lol:

But if it gets cancelled I’ll stay and take the onslaught that follows.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There must be some mitigating factors these bodies are thinking of. Such as the three you mentioned above. I think furthermore they're probably aiming/hoping all fit and healthy footballers and staff have already been hit and have built up the IgL (?) antibodies where they are no longer a danger to anyone including themselves. This would require these anti body test kits to be readily available in the millions by June or July. Maybe football clubs being so rich will get the first lot (after national medical staff obviously).
And here's a first view of this from other than my own mind:

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...-could-speed-up-return-to-work-after-covid-19

Pagh Wraith

Er you what? No, they're not. They agreed to suspend Bundesliga until April 30 at the earliest just like the PL. There's no actual way either will restart in May.
That's what has been decided today, though. Doesn't mean much for the UK of course.

AlwaysRed66

You guys are incredible.
Does Merkel know? I think the government might have a say in this, particularly as German deaths are now starting to increase more rapidly.

Also, why do people keep going on about the spike maybe such & such a date. Until there is a vaccine Mr Coronavirus isn't going anywhere, & the government will be reluctant to get down to full normality, being gradual. Certainly Football wont be their main concern.

Pagh Wraith

What the report has said is that is what the clubs want to do, but they aren’t the final decision maker in this scenario, the German government will be.
The league's CEO confirmed they are in talks with the government. I cannot imagine they would have gone ahead with this without the green light from the government.

Judas

Open to offers
The ignorance in thinking just because Germany might be able to start their league season means we'll be able to just shows how desperate people are. Look at the stats, Germany seem to be handling this so much better than us, I wouldn't look at them as a sign that the PL will start again. If Serie A or La Liga start again, then people can hope the PL has a chance.

deleon

The only reason for any optimism with Europe is that you can feasibly start the competitions a lot later than you can with the league. If they were prepared to compromise and play single round knockouts, you could start each competition in October, at which point it seems like behind closed doors games will be possible. If a country was still suffering with a breakout they could play their 'home' games on a neutral ground in a country that was doing better. Not great, but for clubs starved of attendance income it would still be welcome. And there's a very good chance that by the time the final comes round in May 2021 it'll be played in front of fans again.
This really depends on completion of other domestic leagues (and the 2019/20 European competitions) though. If say Italy or Spain cancel their domestic seasons, then it's all up in the air, and Premier League's European places might be moot.

fck

Supports
Bayern

You guys are incredible.
well it's not a given that the Bundesliga will restart in May but I agree that it's an incredible pessimistic outlook to believe that no football can be played before August.
I mean it's 3 months away which is massive amount of time.

Dve

Does Merkel know? I think the government might have a say in this, particularly as German deaths are now starting to increase more rapidly.

Also, why do people keep going on about the spike maybe such & such a date. Until there is a vaccine Mr Coronavirus isn't going anywhere, & the government will be reluctant to get down to full normality, being gradual. Certainly Football wont be their main concern.
After identifying 40 mutations of the virus, Icelandic scientists suggest it´s acting like the flu virus, by becoming less harmfull with time. The virus that caused millions of deaths in 1918-1920 is still around, but it has become a seasonal flu. A vaccine would be great, but we may not depend on it.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

After identifying 40 mutations of the virus, Icelandic scientists suggest it´s acting like the flu virus, by becoming less harmfull with time. The virus that caused millions of deaths in 1918-1920 is still around, but it has become a seasonal flu. A vaccine would be great, but we may not depend on it.
What are you talking about. There is no evidence that it is getting less harmful over time, though it might be seasonal & slowly go away, but coming back again later in year. Either way, all countries are going to be very wary, as it will still be there in the background. Are you also saying that the Spanish flu has mutated to the common flu. What rubbish. The Spanish flu went away but never had a vaccine for it, being as deadly as when it finished.

The amount of nonsense spouted by people everywhere is amazing.

TheReligion

Abusive
Haha that's what you are trying to convince yourself. It's no more likely to be cancelled than it was a few weeks ago. Absolutely no one know how things will be in a few months. I'm glad the premier league are taking their time and not being hasty into making a decision so soon.
Trying to convince myself? I want my club to get CL football and win a trophy. Couldn't care less about Liverpool and the incessant complaints from those around the club that the league might be cancelled. There's thousands of people dying around the world yet some of you lot still keep trying to drive the narrative this can be done behind closed doors and it must be concluded etc. Do you really think the whole world revolves around Liverpool Football Club?

The fact is comments from UEFA, the SFA and the FA suggest cancelling the league is far more likely than it was a few weeks ago when they released a holding statement suggesting there's no cut off date. It's also a fact that you should prepare yourself for the possibility of it being cancelled. It doesn't matter how many newspaper theories or farfetched solutions you post on here you only need to open your eyes to see how this is heading.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

You guys are incredible.
Try watching the news.
In the address tonight, they said that Germany have a big skewing of younger people getting the virus, hence their lower than most death rates. But in time it may hit more old people.

Let's actually see if Germany DO start playing games before you get too smug?

EwanI Ted

This really depends on completion of other domestic leagues (and the 2019/20 European competitions) though. If say Italy or Spain cancel their domestic seasons, then it's all up in the air, and Premier League's European places might be moot.
Cancelling an entire season would make every club in that league insolvent, so I don’t see that happening. It may be disrupted but they’ll all continue in some form.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I just don't know how anyone could be watching the news and have high hopes it'll finish? If you live in an ignorant bubble, sure yeah.
I think we've established Ronnie's mum doesn't watch the news.
Or at least doesn't understand what is being said.

Dve

What are you talking about. There is no evidence that it is getting less harmful over time, though it might be seasonal & slowly go away, but coming back again later in year. Either way, all countries are going to be very wary, as it will still be there in the background. Are you also saying that the Spanish flu has mutated to the common flu. What rubbish. The Spanish flu went away but never had a vaccine for it, being as deadly as when it finished.

The amount of nonsense spouted by people everywhere is amazing.
No, it´s too early to prove this to be the case. I said Icelandic scientist suggest this to be the case after studying the mutations.

Edit: This is a pretty common feature of viruses (but not a rule). From an evolutional perspective, it does not benefit the virus to kill it´s host.

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Are you glad because you're worried about the people dying or because the scousers may not win the league?!

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
You're comparing confirmed positive tests, but ignoring that Germany are testing about 10 times more than the UK are.
Plus the fact we have over twice as many deaths so it's obviously more dangerous here due to the NHS being completely stretched. But yeah let's get playing again because Germany are :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You're posting articles saying the league may be voided, and then saying it's "no more likely" to be cancelled now, then before?

There weren't these articles for one thing!