g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I would love that just one (!!!) pundit, journo or Liverpool's fan give further explanation when they say that Liverpool must be crowned as champion if season will not be finished. I read 100 times already; "Liverpool must get their title". Even Neville said that phrase.
But nobody is saying how to give them, based on what (except that they "deserve it"), what to do with other clubs, is it legit, how to solve promotions, relegations, CL, EL etc....

It pisses me off that people can't understand that any competition which is not finished is not legit. How is that that hard to understand?
Yeah it all really annoys me too. Literally the whole concept of a league is to play every team home and away and add up the points at the end. If you don't complete it you cant award anything. Liverpool were going to win the league but if you're going to hand leagues out for being 25 points clear, where do you draw the line with when you wouldnt?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's incomparable. There is absolutely no chance they will lose so many games to let Citeh win it even if the season continues at some point. FA Cup and EL are different
Who knows, especially now all teams have unfit players.

Nobody can foresee the future, just look at this virus, if I said to you in December a virus would become a global pandemic bringing the world to a standstill you would have laughed!
If the season returns and Liverpool blow it now it would be more unprecedented than this pandemic.

For perspective they need to have Derby 07/08 form to blow it and even then they will only be punished if City win every game, won't happen, not even once in a million.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
UEFA have apparently sent out a memo saying that leagues should not cancel seasons yet and if they do they may not get access to the CL/EL. This I think is being done for two reasons:

1) They are still praying that the season is able to finish. This is obviously money motivated but at the same time would be the best outcome.

2) They want uniformity across the leagues to preserve the CL/EL next season. In my opinion this means if they do have to cancel they want to go again with the same teams as this year (so to avoid qualifying games.) Thus, no new entrants for next season, which would mean a voiding of this year.

brian017

It’s scary how people are suggesting games BCD are a possibility because “nobody would be in danger” wiyhout realising, besides everything else, it would take vital frontline NHS resources away from where they should be. I was called a ”plum” and a “United or City fan” for pointing this out

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
So you would take the League Cup off City then?
Apples and oranges. EFL Cup has been completed. The difference with the league is that nothing has been mathematically settled and it still has 25% of the competition to go.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They're absolutely oblivious or wilfully stupid.

Spectator sports are going to be the absolutely last step on the road to normalcy. I cannot see them coming back in 5 or 6 months, unless a workable treatment/vaccine show up before (which would be nothing more of miraculous).

Putting 50,000 people together in a single place is lunacy until we have immunity in a lot of people. These UEFA types don't get it because they sit in their VIP boxes with their own toilets with less risk of infection.. The haven't shared a pissoir with 20 pissed guys singing at the top of their lungs.
If football returns it will be BCD for the rest of the year, I'm not sure why people are still getting confused.

Of course no one wants that and everyone would prefer things as they were as recently as early Feb 2020 (that feels like 5 years ago now) with capacity crowds for Manchester derby but it's not going to happen for a long time.

Afraid it's going to have to be a big concession to at least get parts of seasons up and running again.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Saw a suggestion online that the Premier League halt the season now, and allow for promotions only for next seasons, offering the additional games as a bonus for broadcasters in order to hopefully retain that income in full. Pretty sensible suggestion imo. Problem being the additional games, and the inflexibility should there be another outbreak during next season. Assuming that would mean promotion only for the top 2, expanding the PL to 22 clubs for one season.
I'm actually for that if we have to void the season in next month.

I remember they asked the Brighton CEO fairly early on in the outbreak about that possibility and he was quite receptive to it so I can see that becoming a decent Plan B.

22 team league with 5 getting relegated. It of course would be harsh on the play off contenders. The sweetner would be no teams getting relegated with parachute payments and still three promotion spots on offer so teams like Forest and Brentford would have their best ever chance of getting promoted.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It’s scary how people are suggesting games BCD are a possibility because “nobody would be in danger” wiyhout realising, besides everything else, it would take vital frontline NHS resources away from where they should be. I was called a ”plum” and a “United or City fan” for pointing this out
Premier league have accepted that in the latest statement. They're just waiting for the mass rollout of reliable testing to the general population the government has been promising for the last month.......

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm actually for that if we have to void the season in next month.

I remember they asked the Brighton CEO fairly early on in the outbreak about that possibility and he was quite receptive to it so I can see that becoming a decent Plan B.

22 team league with 5 getting relegated. It of course would be harsh on the play off contenders. The sweetner would be no teams getting relegated with parachute payments and still three promotion spots on offer so teams like Forest and Brentford would have their best ever chance of getting promoted.
So no relegations and a Villa fan (villa with a massive chance of going down) liking the idea.

This is why this will all be a real sh!tshow. Because of the absolutely obvious self interest!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So no relegations and a Villa fan (villa with a massive chance of going down) liking the idea.

This is why this will all be a real sh!tshow. Because of the absolutely obvious self interest!
Ahhh....I was actually going to preface that by saying it would be a massive get out of jail free card for us (biggest would be Norwich of course as they remain a bit adrift).

I'd certainly prefer the season to be completed and us to earn it by winning some games in whatever circumstances.

There is no ideal way. If people are just to take the standings as they are and void season now then we'd have pretty good grounds on appeal given we have a game in hand and in effect punished for reaching the league cup final on March 1st which meant we couldn't play the game v Sheffield United (so also impacts on top 6).

That's all trivial atm.

Given how we've looked this season, likely to lose Grealish and 5 relegation spots next season then relegation would likely be delayed by a year so I don't think it's the worst proposal personally of all the ones offered up.

Rooney24

Yeah it all really annoys me too. Literally the whole concept of a league is to play every team home and away and add up the points at the end. If you don't complete it you cant award anything. Liverpool were going to win the league but if you're going to hand leagues out for being 25 points clear, where do you draw the line with when you wouldnt?
Exactly. The whole Concept of home and away is the very first rule in the PL Handbook under the rules of the League Competition.

Each Club shall play two League Matches against each other Club each Season, being the Home Club in respect of one such League Match and the Visiting Club in respect of the other.
This is all going to come down to self interest at the end.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yes and once that's not possible anymore, you have to look for alternatives and not stubbornly hold on to rules which are designed for "regular" seasons. Exceptional times call for exceptional measures and solutions - there are more than a few out there which could still lead to a "deserving" champion in the end, whether or not they've played each team home&away. Much better than just not having a champion at all.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Villa is the best example why league must be finished or canceled. Nothing between.
If FA or UEFA say in june; "Season can't be finished, lets use current standings" then Villa can say and make a appeal that they have game in hand with which they can avoid relegation. Hell, they can even say that they still have a chance to catch Champions league ;) .

I know one thing. This will be a huge huge mess if season will not be finished until 30.06.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Why does there have to be a line? There's no rules for how to end the season when faced by a global pandemic, why do decisions have to be made as if it should set the precedent for a concrete line over winners?

Have teams vote on it, as simple as that. Do they think a team that has (up until this point) had the best season record in English football history warrants the league? Do they think it needs to be mathematically won? Make those decisions in light of the current circumstances. The next time a catastrophic occurrence happens, they can vote on it again in light of the context of that scenario.

cyberman

Why does there have to be a line? There's no rules for how to end the season when faced by a global pandemic, why do decisions have to be made as if it should set the precedent for a concrete line over winners?

Have teams vote on it, as simple as that. Do they think a team that has (up until this point) had the best season record in English football history warrants the league? Do they think it needs to be mathematically won? Make those decisions in light of the current circumstances. The next time a catastrophic occurrence happens, they can vote on it again in light of the context of that scenario.
What happens if the league was suspended at Christmas? You were just as far ahead then..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In think that season will maybe end in some kind of playoffs. Sure it will not be fair to some clubs but hey, life is not fair, right?
They can use some average points based on something (sorry but i am just throwing an idea here so..) and then top 8 from that alternate table play for title, CL and EL, bottom 8 for relegation and middle 4 are free.

I know, i know, million questions here but it might happen

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

To decide about title, who goes in CL where money is, who goes in EL and who goes in championship (and lose huge money) with voting? That voting would be something special. I would pay to watch that. It would be a bloodbath.

GiddyUp

It's incomparable. There is absolutely no chance they will lose so many games to let Citeh win it even if the season continues at some point. FA Cup and EL are different
Tell me, what were the odds on Leicester City winning the league again? There is always a chance in sport and until you are the winner you are not the winner.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well, according to math that is simply not true. 100% not true.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Melissa Reddy always puts a Liverpool favoring slant on ordinary headlines. I fully expect the headlines to be something like 'League suspended indefinitely but hoping to finish this season if it's possible'

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Tell me, what were the odds on Leicester City winning the league again? There is always a chance in sport and until you are the winner you are not the winner.
Liverpool have to have a run of 1-1-7 and even then will only be punished if City win everygame, not going to happen.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Melissa Reddy always puts a Liverpool favoring slant on ordinary headlines. I fully expect the headlines to be something like 'League suspended indefinitely but hoping to finish this season if it's possible'
She supports them dosen't she?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, but she's not posting as a Liverpool fan. She's posting as an independent journalist here
And what she's reporting is being confirmed by other independent journalists such as McNulty. I agree that she's massively Liverpool-biased but it's not the case here.

SirAnderson

UEFA have apparently sent out a memo saying that leagues should not cancel seasons yet and if they do they may not get access to the CL/EL. This I think is being done for two reasons:

1) They are still praying that the season is able to finish. This is obviously money motivated but at the same time would be the best outcome.

2) They want uniformity across the leagues to preserve the CL/EL next season. In my opinion this means if they do have to cancel they want to go again with the same teams as this year (so to avoid qualifying games.) Thus, no new entrants for next season, which would mean a voiding of this year.
Correction, they said it should be the "Last resort".

EDIT: Covered in your "yet".
Carry on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
And what she's reporting is being confirmed by other independent journalists such as McNulty. I agree that she's massively Liverpool-biased but it's not the case here.
Not a great counter example, McNulty is a rabid Liverpool fan. Used to remember his cheerleading column on BBC sport website.