Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yeah same as if a team would already be mathematically relegated. They would still be in the same division next season. No official results.

I would gladly put up with another year in Europa League for this. I just hope next season can actually happen
Yeah, I'm highly doubtful of this personally.

Really hope I'm wrong and just being cynical. But I feel that until a vaccine is out there, the risk will be too great.

starman

For the City Arsenal game to be postponed it leads me to believe someone amongst the players/staff have tested positive and probably many will need to self isolate

Bulldog United

Yeah, I'm highly doubtful of this personally.

Really hope I'm wrong and just being cynical. But I feel that until a vaccine is out there, the risk will be too great.
I think it's a valid concern. One thing I'm wondering about is the insurance policies of players. Remember, from the clubs perspectives - they have hundreds of millions of pounds worth of assets running around on a football field. It's possible none of them will be insured if the policies suggest this falls into the category of taking undue risks.

Rooney1987

I think it's a valid concern. One thing I'm wondering about is the insurance policies of players. Remember, from the clubs perspectives - they have hundreds of millions of pounds worth of assets running around on a football field. It's possible none of them will be insured if the policies suggest this falls into the category of taking undue risks.
We’re talking about 10s of billions all round Europe. Obviously peoples health is more important but I think they play on for another week, then play a few behind closed doors and then postpone the league. They obviously should do that now but they won’t.

All world leagues, UEFA and FIFA need to come together here work out a plan. Postpone all world football till end of May. Hope by some unlikely miracle they can finish all leagues/Euro club tournaments it all in June/July, move Euros till 2021 and World Cup to winter 2023. Poeple will argue Qatar WC is 2 years away but I think organisers would like another year prep gives everyone breathing space.

Bojan11

They should definitely not do another champions league or Europa draw for a month.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hope we at least get this weekends fixtures out of the way so we can play Spurs while they're at their worst and we're on a high.

Don't think it'll get to the point of cancelling or suspending the season though and surely not next season. Maybe a slight delay, for some fixtures, but the media and coverage about it is out of control now. Yeah, it's an unknown virus and people are always scared of the unknown, but it'll normalize like everything else and worst case scenario is we all just learn to live with it around, like the flu.
Can definitely see the euro's getting delayed though, given the preparation required, how it's played over multiple countries but also with so many travelers from across the world. It's a bad time for it right now. But the normal leagues will likely be finished with at worst a slight delay.

Dudu

Cancel the season now and strip Liverpool of the title while it is still mathematically possible for City to catch up.

Everyone wins.

Rhyme Animal

Hope we at least get this weekends fixtures out of the way so we can play Spurs while they're at their worst and we're on a high.

Don't think it'll get to the point of cancelling or suspending the season though and surely not next season. Maybe a slight delay, for some fixtures, but the media and coverage about it is out of control now. Yeah, it's an unknown virus and people are always scared of the unknown, but it'll normalize like everything else and worst case scenario is we all just learn to live with it around, like the flu.
Can definitely see the euro's getting delayed though, given the preparation required, how it's played over multiple countries but also with so many travelers from across the world. It's a bad time for it right now. But the normal leagues will likely be finished with at worst a slight delay.
Isn't that actually kind of best case scenario...?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It would be sad to lose this entire season of the Premier League, but seems like this is what has to happen for the greater good of public safety. Hopefully everything will be in place to start afresh with the new season in August.

Bulldog United

We’re talking about 10s of billions all round Europe. Obviously peoples health is more important but I think they play on for another week, then play a few behind closed doors and then postpone the league. They obviously should do that now but they won’t.

All world leagues, UEFA and FIFA need to come together here work out a plan. Postpone all world football till end of May. Hope by some unlikely miracle they can finish all leagues/Euro club tournaments it all in June/July, move Euros till 2021 and World Cup to winter 2023. Poeple will argue Qatar WC is 2 years away but I think organisers would like another year prep gives everyone breathing space.
No, I believe we need to stick to the Premier League rules that say if competition is suspended for more than 60 consecutive days - the season is declared null and void. Unless all Premier League clubs agree to change the rules mid-season, we cannot be part of any global agreement to extend and complete our own season. The integrity and fairness of our Premier League depends on us abiding by the stated rules.

Obviously other leagues can go down a different path if they want, or their rules allow.

It would be sad to lose this entire season of the Premier League, but seems like this is what has to happen for the greater good of public safety. Hopefully everything will be in place to start afresh with the new season in August.
I completely agree. It will be very sad for many football fans, but public safety must come first; closely followed by enforcing the Premier League rules that state the season will be null and void.

bosnian_red

Isn't that actually kind of best case scenario...?
Best case scenario is it goes away. Ok maybe not worst case scenario, but a somewhat pessimistic but realistic scenario is that it just turns into something we all live with and deal with being out there.

Rhyme Animal

Best case scenario is it goes away. Ok maybe not worst case scenario, but a somewhat pessimistic but realistic scenario is that it just turns into something we all live with and deal with being out there.
Yeah fair enough. I don't think it'll ever go away at this point though...

I think more and more things will be cancelled / postponed until a vaccine is created and then the World and economy will experience a big lift as things are picked up again.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

I think more and more things will be cancelled / postponed until a vaccine is created and then the World and economy will experience a big lift as things are picked up again.
More likely cancelled because that will take longer than 65 days or whatever is needed to get the league cancelled.

bosnian_red

Would take far longer I'd imagine to get a vaccine, if at all. The common cold never got any vaccine, and this is a strand of the same family. Same with sars or mers, all from the same family of viruses (though those 2 were far more dangerous if you did get it). There's panic everywhere right now, but it'll normalize as all things do. People can't live in fear or just put everything on lock down endlessly. It's a short term solution to try and halt it really quickly, but likelihood is it's too widespread already and it just turns into something we deal with and live with (imo).

Last edited:

RyRoc

Would it not make sense to postpone all football for two weeks , hope everything clears by then , cancel the International break and play the games missed over that period with potentially extending the season for an extra week?

Rhyme Animal

Would it not make sense to postpone all football for two weeks , hope everything clears by then , cancel the International break and play the games missed over that period with potentially extending the season for an extra week?
Don't think things will've cleared in 2 weeks mate...

Think the most likely outcome is either an indefinite post-poning or a cancelling of this season - which, if we're honest has been a miserable and poorly contested PL season throughout anyway.

So, other than Liverpool fans, don't think anyone at all would mind that.

And in time, I'm sure Liverpool fans will learn to let this slip and just move on.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
What would you suggest, going to the Winchester till it all blows over :lol:

RedDevil@84

For the City Arsenal game to be postponed it leads me to believe someone amongst the players/staff have tested positive and probably many will need to self isolate
They met Olympiacos owner who has been confirmed positive later. So PL hasn o choice but to try to isolate these players from rest of PL.

RedDevil@84

Hope those Arsenal players didn't hang out with any boys from other teams. Else they are screwed too

mav_9me

Would take far longer I'd imagine to get a vaccine, if at all. The common cold never got any vaccine, and this is a strand of the same family. Same with sars or mers, all from the same family of viruses (though those 2 were far more dangerous if you did get it). There's panic everywhere right now, but it'll normalize as all things do. People can't live in fear or just put everything on lock down endlessly. It's a short term solution to try and halt it really quickly, but likelihood is it's too widespread already and it just turns into something we deal with and live with (imo).
It's not just a short term solution. The idea with a shutdown is not to prevent the spread completely or anything like that. The idea is to mitigate the problem so that the numbers are not so bad as to overwhelm the healthcare system.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
There will be some subjective factors involved, surely. Maybe the PL will wait for those 2 GWs and play behind closed doors so that Liverpool can officially win the title. And then they'll call the rest of the season off.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
That should be it then. Season has to be over now.
Wat? We have now reached the point where I can't tell that if any of you are seriously worried about that virus or you are trying to some weird ass mental mind games in hope that Liverpool's impressive league win wouldn't count?

Outside of Italy, calling anything to be behind closed doors or postponed is some serious overreacting.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Wat? We have now reached the point where I can't tell that if any of you are seriously worried about that virus or you are trying to some weird ass mental mind games in hope that Liverpool's impressive league win wouldn't count?

Outside of Italy, calling anything to be behind closed doors or postponed is some serious overreacting.
Have you not followed the news at all? How can people be so blasé about this virus?

midnightmare

Madness. Either you're just oblivious to the reality of the unfolding crisis around us or a Liverpool-supporting sociopath (not always an overlap). How can you not see the scale of the potential disaster? Lockdowns are about the only way to slow this and apparently you think it's "some serious overreacting".

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
is it asking too much to cancel the season so that Liverpool don't win the league, Leeds don't get promoted, we still get Champions League next season, and Villa still go down so we can buy Grealish on the cheap?
I have been looking forward to seeing Leeds back in the PL. They have been away far too long.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Have you not followed the news at all? How can people be so blasé about this virus?
Madness. Either you're just oblivious to the reality of the unfolding crisis around us or a Liverpool-supporting sociopath (not always an overlap). How can you not see the scale of the potential disaster? Lockdowns are about the only way to slow this and apparently you think it's "some serious overreacting".
I am Estonian, i follow our medical professionals first rest of the world later. Our medical staff are super chill about it, be vigilant, but no need to panic like most of you seem to do here.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Dream scenario:
  • Chelsea lose at Villa
  • United beat Spurs
  • All football is called off for the season
  • Since the league is void, there will be no winner this year but top 4 will be used to determine the CL spots