Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

TheReligion

Abusive
Let's be honest this season's integrity has well and truly gone. It will be like having 9 pre season friendly matches if they do force this through. This begs the question why bother when you can look at other non playing ways to finish the season? People keep going on about testing but they don't seem to realise the same people would have to be tested every single game and maybe in training. There's no antibody test in circulation that can give you quick results and/or is deemed reliable enough, and science doesn't fully understand if having it once makes a difference or not. That's a whole lot of speculative testing when we still have people who are unwell struggling to get access.

Red00012

If I were a manager / coach / officionales of any stripe -right now more than any other time in my professional lifetime - I would be focusing my whole being on making the right public statement noises. Talk is cheaper than that Derby player was after his contact got cancelled for drunk driving his team mates into a wall. At the end of the day, Frankie will get in line and do what he is told.
The Derby player that was sacked wasn’t driving , the player that was driving still plays for Derby.

Heardy

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but why don’t they just start the 2020/2021 season with teams starting with their current point total?

This would gives teams recognition for their current seasons efforts, at least partially! Got to feel sorry for teams that are looking for promotion to the premier league only to have that voided.

Kag

Appalling, self-serving shite from Wallace in The Telegraph today. Football may well get used to this new-found ambivalence it’s experiencing within society right now. The modern game is grotesque and absolutely impossible to relate to from a working-class perspective. If the powers-that-be think the hundreds of thousands around the country who are now unemployed give two fecks about football and the money problems within, they are in for a rude awakening. Many are already admitting that they don’t miss football (or sport in general) as much as they thought they would.

Society will prioritise things that are essential in times such as these, and funding the most vacuous, self-aggrandising, insular industry in the country is far, far, far down that list of priorities right now.
His article acknowledges the self-serving nature of football’s return. It doesn’t make him any less accurate. Football will struggle to survive unless a return takes place. If the money doesn’t trickle down the pyramid, then clubs will go bust right across the spectrum. Furthermore, this has an impact on the wellbeing of communities, as well as employment within the community.

The entire debate is significantly more nuanced than the mere return of Premier League millionaires.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You were the poster and I said your biggest fear is dramatic.
What? I was replying to someone who said the biggest fear was xxxx and i said more like a biggest fear is a much worse scenario.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but why don’t they just start the 2020/2021 season with teams starting with their current point total?

This would gives teams recognition for their current seasons efforts, at least partially! Got to feel sorry for teams that are looking for promotion to the premier league only to have that voided.
Total non starter. You either finish this season, either bcd, or wait, or whatever. You don't merge it with a new season. That'd be bizarre.
Especially as a new season might have massive doubts at being complete anyway.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His article acknowledges the self-serving nature of football’s return. It doesn’t make him any less wrong. Football will struggle to survive unless a return takes place. If the money doesn’t trickle down the pyramid, then clubs will go bust right across the spectrum. Furthermore, this has an impact on the wellbeing of communities, as well as employment within the community.

The entire debate is significantly more nuanced than the mere return of Premier League millionaires.
Yeah that's what people don't realize, football is the lifeblood of communities down the lower league, look at Bury fans and how they reacted when they lost their club.

People getting all outraged over football seem to support a club who will survive regardless, worst case scenario they miss out for a year then they go back to challenging top 4/title. For example I lived in Exeter in the late 00s and if (as a community) they lost their football club i dread to think how many would cope, I meet someone there who got over some of the darkest times in his life thanks to Exeter City being there, it's underestimated just how much a wet trip to Carlisle can make a difference to someone if the alternative is sitting at home alone with his thoughts.

That's what get lost in all this. The big cats, big clubs and world class players people are getting angry at won't really lose out in the long run, if this say goes on for over a year they will lose money and part of their career but ultimately they'll be able to eat well in the interim and the fans will still go back to seeing their club challenge for top 4/title like the game never went away. The real losers in such scenario would be the hand to mouth workers at football clubs, lower league players (who's wages are a lot lower than people think) and fans of communities like Exeter where the game brings people together.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The reality of the whole problem is that mankind will not return to normality until one of two things:

1) a medicine currently on the market works against Covid-19;

2) a vaccine is found.

But some humans are more interested in ending a football season, at all costs and in any way possible, and to the possible detriment to everyone and anything else.

Last edited:

RedRover

That's one of the problems right there. Why should asymptomatic players get tests when symptomatic members of the public can't get tests ?
On the various podcasts I've been listening to over the last week the Journalists who seem to have the inside line at the PL said it is accepted that it can't be seen to be "jumping the queue" for testing. Since testing is being ramped up that issue may now not be as pressing.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
By what logic would a professional footballer deserve testing ahead of the thousands of NHS workers who are at risk daily?
They dont. It is possible to test both though? It's not an either or scenario. By the time football is due to restart we should have scaled up testing to be able to test people in all industries if required.

My own theory is that they are deliberately not testing Nhs staff because they know that many of them would test positive and have to stop working. Nhs workers are being treated as cannon fodder in this pandemic.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But some humans are more interested in ending a football season, at all costs and in any way possible, to the detriment of everyone and anything else.
Not one person ever said that, this is just the typical faux outrage to people who secretly/subconsciously hate football.

People have all been in wide agreement that a restart should only be considered once logical (NHS not underwhelmed, cases at a massively manageable rate etc) but ofcourse people like you ignore that then pretend they never said it so it suits your narrative that people that want football back also want people to die.

RedRover

The reality of the whole problem is that mankind will not return to normality until one of two things:

2) a vaccine is found.

But some humans are more interested in ending a football season, at all costs and in any way possible, and to the possible detriment to everyone and anything else.
It isn't that simple though is it. There are varying shades of normality and things won't stay as they are now for months and years. Restrictions will be relaxed to some degree over the coming months. That is a certainty.

I also don't believe that your last point is the case at all. I don't see anyone saying that. That's an emotionally loaded statement and it doesn't reflect the reality of what people think at all.

I personally think the plans won't be viable, bit I have no issue in an industry trying to get itself back on its feet and trying to be innovative.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
As far as im concerned the League has finished.

Whatever they bring back wont be the same and have no more interest for me other than 9 friendly matches.

Right now i have free Sky Sports, if football comes back Ill still cancel Sky Sports for 2 reasons, financial costs and no interest in 9 friendlies.

Imagine scoring a goal. Only for your teammates to give a clap or a reassuring nod as they maintain the 2 mtr distance rule.

The season is done, regardless of what they say or do, it already finished for me back in March during that souless, lifeless behind closed door match against Lask.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Whatever they bring back wont be the same and have no more interest for me other than 9 friendly matches.

Right now i have free Sky Sports, if football comes back Ill still cancel Sky Sports for 2 reasons, financial costs and no interest in 9 friendlies.

Imagine scoring a goal. Only for your teammates to give a clap or a reassuring nod as they maintain the 2 mtr distance rule.

The season is done, regardless of what they say or do, it already finished for me back in March during that souless, lifeless behind closed door match against Lask.
It's 9 for us. 90 games total for epl

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Not one person ever said that, this is just the typical faux outrage to people who secretly/subconsciously hate football.

People have all been in wide agreement that a restart should only be considered once logical (NHS not underwhelmed, cases at a massively manageable rate etc) but ofcourse people like you ignore that then pretend they never said it so it suits your narrative that people that want football back also want people to die.
Read through the whole thread and you will see that there are many who said that and kindly don't insinuate that i secretly/subconciously hate football.

''People have all been in wide agreement that a restart should only be considered once logical (NHS not underwhelmed, cases at a massively manageable rate etc)''

Your quote is such a sweeping statement saying ALL have been in wide agreement - that's simply not true but ofcourse people like you ignore that then pretend they never said it so it suits your narrative.

Kag

Yeah that's what people don't realize, football is the lifeblood of communities down the lower league, look at Bury fans and how they reacted when they lost their club.

People getting all outraged over football seem to support a club who will survive regardless, worst case scenario they miss out for a year then they go back to challenging top 4/title. For example I lived in Exeter in the late 00s and if (as a community) they lost their football club i dread to think how many would cope, I meet someone there who got over some of the darkest times in his life thanks to Exeter City being there, it's underestimated just how much a wet trip to Carlisle can make a difference to someone if the alternative is sitting at home alone with his thoughts.

That's what get lost in all this. The big cats, big clubs and world class players people are getting angry at won't really lose out in the long run, if this say goes on for over a year they will lose money and part of their career but ultimately they'll be able to eat well in the interim and the fans will still go back to seeing their club challenge for top 4/title like the game never went away. The real losers in such scenario would be the hand to mouth workers at football clubs, lower league players (who's wages are a lot lower than people think) and fans of communities like Exeter where the game brings people together.
Absolutely. At Carlisle alone you will have admin staff, cleaners, groundstaff, a small media team and more. These people will already be on furlough, and live in a region that is economically difficult and short of employment as it is. You will also have the man who has a burger van just down the road, or the small pubs in and around the stadium that get much-needed custom every match day. Of course, jobs are doing to be lost in all of this, but let’s not pretend this issue boils down to Liverpool and Manchester United at the top of the pyramid.

I’m more convinced of this now than ever; too many people need to pull their heads out of the arse of this virus and think a little bigger. It’s an awful virus, and very real, but the world is still turning and people are still suffering elsewhere. Allowing football to collapse, among other sports, only serves to extrapolate that suffering.

TheReligion

Abusive

Yeah I'm feeling pretty much like this. This season is now irrelevant and it makes sense to just finish it with minimum risk and fuss.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Read through the whole thread and you will see that there are many who said that and kindly don't insinuate that i secretly/subconciously hate football.

''People have all been in wide agreement that a restart should only be considered once logical (NHS not underwhelmed, cases at a massively manageable rate etc)''

Your quote is such a sweeping statement saying ALL have been in wide agreement - that's simply not true but ofcourse people like you ignore that then pretend they never said it so it suits your narrative.
Have you got one quote, just one, from someone that states they want football back at all costs?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool

2) a vaccine is found.

What happens if we never develop a vaccine or treatment that works?

if it's not safe to finish this season in June and July then it certainly won't be safe to start a new season in August/ September.

My own preference would be to wait until later in the year or even next year to finish the season at a safer point, but that doesn't seem to be an option? Of the two options that are being presented, Finish the season based on the current table or finish behind closed doors, I would prefer the first option.

TheReligion

Abusive
What happens if we never develop a vaccine or treatment that works?

if it's not safe to finish this season in June and July then it certainly won't be safe to start a new season in August/ September.

My own preference would be to wait until later in the year or even next year to finish the season at a safer point, but that doesn't seem to be an option? Of the two options that are being presented, Finish the season based on the current table or finish behind closed doors, I would prefer the first option.
I think that's the point really. No one is that interested in finishing this season by playing it now or in a few months. The integrity is gone. It should be ended now, prize money paid and clarity given to clubs. They can then think of a way as to how they will call it and what model they use but at least it deals with this will they, won't they scenario that leaves everyone guessing. It also allows clubs to prepare properly for the future without the burden of these 9 compromised games to circumnavigate.

It's totally pointless.

arnie_ni

Have you got one quote, just one, from someone that states they want football back at all costs?
Have you got one from someone saying they hate football? Youve accused half the posters of it at this stage

fck

Supports
Bayern
I will admit it and I will be the first to troll if they get denied the title and I will also be the first to troll you if the German government deny you the title.

@TheReligion is a great poster and I am confused as to why you are giving him shit like this.
hey I have no problem with you or anyone else trolling Liverpool fans.. nothing wrong with it in this situation. Every fanbase under the sun would do the same.. let's just not pretend otherwise.
The Bundesliga is still on path to return btw and we will see if this works or not.. I'm pretty sure everyone around here hopes that it succeeds and that it can be a blueprint for the PL ;)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

Probably no EL/CL next season.

So we probably have nothing to play for if it is finished.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By that rationale pubs and clubs can be open as well. All they need is bouncer with rapid test at the door.
The reality is, if a pub or club had the ability to be certain that everyone inside Their premises had tested negative, what are they closing for exactly? Just to seem like ‘we’re all in this together?’.

There are no tests that give you an on the spot result, so the example is pointless.

montpelier

So this is a project that involves close to a 100 games, the majority of which are or could be meaningless. The claim of maintaining integrity is pretty weak.

How about a middle path?

I say this because when I looked at the tables of all the divisions, the unresolved issues and teams involved seemed pretty obvious.

They could trial the idea via the organisation of some playoffs.

It's different enough to create some interest and could involve all the Leagues. And a lot fewer games.

If people start getting ill, you're only back at the start, you haven't created a load of new problems.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Let's be honest this season's integrity has well and truly gone. It will be like having 9 pre season friendly matches if they do force this through. This begs the question why bother when you can look at other non playing ways to finish the season? People keep going on about testing but they don't seem to realise the same people would have to be tested every single game and maybe in training. There's no antibody test in circulation that can give you quick results and/or is deemed reliable enough, and science doesn't fully understand if having it once makes a difference or not. That's a whole lot of speculative testing when we still have people who are unwell struggling to get access.
Indeed. The purposed idea is not the same competition. Instead, it is equivalent to the PL stopping 3/4's of the way through, then deciding and add a separate tournament to finish the league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Oh, come on, you're talking about an entirely different situation altogether.

Shopping for essentials is one thing, playing a game of football merely to provide entertainment for the public is another. The two are not remotely comparable in terms of necessity.

Yes, we should only leave our homes if absolutely necessary.
We are talking about ‘causing people to die unnecessarily’, which was the I think hyperbolic way it was described. Again, football, especially without fans, is not just an but of fun’, it is just work for the majority of the 300 people that will be in the stadium.

I didn’t say football and buying food was of equal necessity, I’m saying that the premise of going to a supermarket presently is NOT that it is okay for the 300 people in there ‘to die’. Hence the precautions in place when you go to a supermarket, as opposed to before this pandemic. The idea is for people to be able to buy food (and others who are simply at the supermarket doing their jobs) without dying. These precautions are absolutely nothing in comparison the precautions proposed at a stadium.

There is no point at all if having tests of society just proceeds as we were before testing was available. If the fact that everyone in a room has tested negative does not enable them to proceed as if they will not transmit a virus that they don’t have - then I don’t understand the hysteria and drive for urgent testing to be rolled out by the public. We should just continue with this model of isolating, and contacting the medics if you show symptoms. The main benefit and point of testing is to allow people to confidently engage with others in the knowledge that they will not transmit or contract. The then minute percentage of a chance that people somehow still contract the virus is the price we pay for not having to live in solitary confinement forever. It is the same as the risk you take in having unprotected sex with someone who has tested negative for an STI. You could still refrain on the basis of ‘well, you never know’. But then testing is almost pointless. Just live in fear.

I’m only proposing football be allowed to resume NOT because of the importance or essential nature of it, but due to the steps the industry will take to ensure it’s safety. If other industries were able to take such measures, I think they would open sooner too, at least in a controlled manner, which is being proposed at football. I don’t think it’s feasible that everyone should stay in home until further notice personally. Reintegration needs to be controlled and phased, but it will need to happen.

montpelier

We are talking about ‘causing people to die unnecessarily’, which was the I think hyperbolic way it was described. Again, football, especially without fans, is not just an but of fun’, it is just work for the majority of the 300 people that will be in the stadium.

I didn’t say football and buying food was of equal necessity, I’m saying that the premise of going to a supermarket presently is NOT that it is okay for the 300 people in there ‘to die’. Hence the precautions in place when you go to a supermarket, as opposed to before this pandemic. The idea is for people to be able to buy food (and others who are simply at the supermarket doing their jobs) without dying. These precautions are absolutely nothing in comparison the precautions proposed at a stadium.

There is no point at all if having tests of society just proceeds as we were before testing was available. If the fact that everyone in a room has tested negative does not enable them to proceed as if they will not transmit a virus that they don’t have - then I don’t understand the hysteria and drive for urgent testing to be rolled out by the public. We should just continue with this model of isolating, and contacting the medics if you show symptoms. The main benefit and point of testing is to allow people to confidently engage with others in the knowledge that they will not transmit or contract. The then minute percentage of a chance that people somehow still contract the virus is the price we pay for not having to live in solitary confinement forever. It is the same as the risk you take in having unprotected sex with someone who has tested negative for an STI. You could still refrain on the basis of ‘well, you never know’. But then testing is almost pointless. Just live in fear.

I’m only proposing football be allowed to resume NOT because of the importance or essential nature of it, but due to the steps the industry will take to ensure it’s safety. If other industries were able to take such measures, I think they would open sooner too, at least in a controlled manner, which is being proposed at football. I don’t think it’s feasible that everyone should stay in home until further notice personally. Reintegration needs to be controlled and phased, but it will need to happen.
OK, how do you feel about the football we get to watch.

And is 90+ games banged out like this the best most sensible approach when there shouldn't be any in the summer anyway.

Fresh start is better I'm saying I suppose. Trial of project and fresh start, even.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
His article acknowledges the self-serving nature of football’s return. It doesn’t make him any less wrong. Football will struggle to survive unless a return takes place. If the money doesn’t trickle down the pyramid, then clubs will go bust right across the spectrum. Furthermore, this has an impact on the wellbeing of communities, as well as employment within the community.

To be fair, you are correct. I didn’t mean to direct my ire at Wallace or his writing, per se; more so the message he was conveying that football should resume, despite the health and safety risks, simply because some football clubs could fold. My point was ‘So what?’. Is John, from Moston and recently unemployed with five mouths to feed at home, going to be aggrieved that some multi-millionaire/billionaire owner is struggling to keep his play-thing football club afloat?

No chance, and it’s high-time that football clubs realise this. They are inconsequential in the scheme of things and only entertainment at the end of the day.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
OK, how do you feel about the football we get to watch.

And is 90+ games banged out like this the best most sensible approach when there shouldn't be any in the summer anyway.

Fresh start is better I'm saying I suppose. Trial of project and fresh start, even.
I’m not against a restart at the normal time in August. I was more speaking about the issue with footballers playing football at all. I don’t agree that they should close for a year.

I can of course appreciate the willingness to complete a season that has already gone 3/4 of the way for integrity’s sake. Many team’s fates were already all but determined. This is before we even get to the financial implications, which is not as crass to consider as people are making out.

Regarding the football I get to watch, of course, it will not be the same in an empty stadium. That said, that isn’t important either. Nobody asked for this virus and we’re all trying to make the best of the situation. Obviously fans at the stadium is ideal, but equally obvious is why it can’t happen right now, so we just have to get on with it. Unless, of course, we close it down until some time next year because we like our football how we like our football and refuse to watch it until we get the full experience. Compromise is needed. Many clubs wouldn’t last. And people worry about the football now - I can only imagine the standard of football if players all take a year off. They’d need a 6 month pre-season!

Okey

Now I hear more clubs are open to neutral venues if the threat of relegation is removed. Making less and less sense. What would be the purpose of finishing if the usual outcomes won't apply? Crown a champion and fill European places but no relegation??? Farce...

cyberman

Now I hear more clubs are open to neutral venues if the threat of relegation is removed. Making less and less sense. What would be the purpose of finishing if the usual outcomes won't apply? Crown a champion and fill European places but no relegation??? Farce...
So every side outside of European places wont even try anymore.
That will suit United more since thats the rest of our fixtures after Spurs but what an unfair waste of time that is

laughtersassassin

Anyone hear this nonsense of finishing the season but no Relegation because of neutral grounds?

If that happens the PL are absolute idiots.

If the league gets finished their must be relegation.

If it doesn't get finished then sure you can not relegate anyone but if it's finished the standings have to be final. Simple as.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, you are correct. I didn’t mean to direct my ire at Wallace or his writing, per se; more so the message he was conveying that football should resume, despite the health and safety risks, simply because some football clubs could fold. My point was ‘So what?’. Is John, from Moston and recently unemployed with five mouths to feed at home, going to be aggrieved that some multi-millionaire/billionaire owner is struggling to keep his play-thing football club afloat?

No chance, and it’s high-time that football clubs realise this. They are inconsequential in the scheme of things and only entertainment at the end of the day.
And what about John's next door neighbour Derek who's employed as a cashier in that clubs megastore and needs football resumed in some capacity to be able to feed his five kids? Or Donna across the road who's the secretary at that clubs training ground and has a son with cerebral paulsy who's needs don't come cheap? Or the many communities and businesses where football is their life blood? (both emotionally and economically) What about the bloke in the burger van outside Oldham who has kids and lives hand to mouth?

As I've said it won't be the multimillionaires that suffer in the grand scheme of things, it will be the random John and Derek's and small communities like Exeter/Carlisle etc al, that use football as an escapism of reality and such outlets will be needed more than ever once this is over/threat is minimal.

And that's before I mention how much taxes football as a whole puts into the pot, taxes that go a long way to keeping the NHS running and unemployed families fed (figures that's are already at record numbers and counting, numbers that probably won't drop significantly for many years at best).

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So every side outside of European places wont even try anymore.
That will suit United more since thats the rest of our fixtures after Spurs but what an unfair waste of time that is
European football under the current format is gone for 20-21 IMO unless they cancel the Euros again and play into July 2021.

They need to play 80+ CL matches and around 180+ Europa League matches from late June to late August. That can't happen for French clubs and Dutch clubs as their governments have banned football till Sep. I'm sure other European countries will have a similar ban.

They just can't fit it all in as things stand.