Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

hmchan

We are talking about ‘causing people to die unnecessarily’, which was the I think hyperbolic way it was described. Again, football, especially without fans, is not just an but of fun’, it is just work for the majority of the 300 people that will be in the stadium.

I didn’t say football and buying food was of equal necessity, I’m saying that the premise of going to a supermarket presently is NOT that it is okay for the 300 people in there ‘to die’. Hence the precautions in place when you go to a supermarket, as opposed to before this pandemic. The idea is for people to be able to buy food (and others who are simply at the supermarket doing their jobs) without dying. These precautions are absolutely nothing in comparison the precautions proposed at a stadium.

There is no point at all if having tests of society just proceeds as we were before testing was available. If the fact that everyone in a room has tested negative does not enable them to proceed as if they will not transmit a virus that they don’t have - then I don’t understand the hysteria and drive for urgent testing to be rolled out by the public. We should just continue with this model of isolating, and contacting the medics if you show symptoms. The main benefit and point of testing is to allow people to confidently engage with others in the knowledge that they will not transmit or contract. The then minute percentage of a chance that people somehow still contract the virus is the price we pay for not having to live in solitary confinement forever. It is the same as the risk you take in having unprotected sex with someone who has tested negative for an STI. You could still refrain on the basis of ‘well, you never know’. But then testing is almost pointless. Just live in fear.

I’m only proposing football be allowed to resume NOT because of the importance or essential nature of it, but due to the steps the industry will take to ensure it’s safety. If other industries were able to take such measures, I think they would open sooner too, at least in a controlled manner, which is being proposed at football. I don’t think it’s feasible that everyone should stay in home until further notice personally. Reintegration needs to be controlled and phased, but it will need to happen.
It's all about the balance between risk and benefit. Opening a supermarket is risky, but it benefits a lot as it provides necessities to the public and many of the staffs are actually living hand-to-mouth. On the contrary, the 300 people in the stadium include 40 players, 32 coaching and medical staffs, 12 match officials, 8 doctors, 3 league officials and 130 or more media personnel. For most of them, I think they are well paid enough to live for years without football, especially we are talking about the Premier League.

I haven't looked into the proposed precautions in detail, but there are just some precautions you can't implement in football. You can wear a surgical mask in a supermarket, but you can't wear one during a match; you can stay distant from others in a supermarket, but you can't ask players to stay away when playing; you can manage the customer flow in a supermarket, but you can't avoid crowding in corners; you can avoid conversation in a supermarket, but you can't avoid contacts in football.

Testing should never be treated as an indicator of "safe to proceed", rapid tests in particular. It's indeed dangerous to do so especially when the false negative rate is so high and the virus has a latent period of 14 days. The actual point of testing is for epidemiological study so that the government can have a better picture about the rate of transmission, make estimation and tighten/loosen the measures accordingly. The more testing is performed, the better the estimation is. Testing in healthcare professionals also helps assess the adequacy of PPE and prevent transmitting to other patients. So, it isn't pointless after all.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We are talking about ‘causing people to die unnecessarily’, which was the I think the hyperbolic way it was described. Again, football, especially without fans, is not just a but of fun’, it just works for the majority of the 300 people that will be in the stadium.

I didn’t say football and buying food was of equal necessity, I’m saying that the premise of going to a supermarket presently is NOT that it is okay for the 300 people in there ‘to die’. Hence the precautions in place when you go to a supermarket, as opposed to before this pandemic. The idea is for people to be able to buy food (and others who are simply at the supermarket doing their jobs) without dying. These precautions are absolutely nothing in comparison to the precautions proposed at a stadium.

There is no point at all if having tests of society just proceed as we were before testing was available. If the fact that everyone in a room has tested negative does not enable them to proceed as if they will not transmit a virus that they don’t have - then I don’t understand the hysteria and drive for urgent testing to be rolled out by the public. We should just continue with this model of isolating and contacting the medics if you show symptoms. The main benefit and point of testing are to allow people to confidently engage with others in the knowledge that they will not transmit or contract. The then minute percentage of a chance that people somehow still contract the virus is the price we pay for not having to live in solitary confinement forever. It is the same as the risk you take in having unprotected sex with someone who has tested negative for an STI. You could still refrain based on ‘well, you never know’. But then testing is almost pointless. Just live in fear.

I’m only proposing football be allowed to resume NOT because of the importance or essential nature of it, but due to the steps, the industry will take to ensure it’s safety. If other industries were able to take such measures, I think they would open sooner too, at least in a controlled manner, which is being proposed at football. I don’t think it’s feasible that everyone should stay at the home until further notice personally. Reintegration needs to be controlled and phased, but it will need to happen.
For your suggestion to be an effective one, testing for the coronavirus must return 100% accurate results, but the problem is no such testing exists.

There are two tests available to the NHS that can determine if you're carrying the virus; a swab test, and a blood test, neither of which are even remotely accurate. Scientists from China who have been studying the virus the moment it emerged are saying 3 out of 10 confirmed carriers might return negative results.

All it takes is for one person among the 300 in attendance of a BCD match to be carrying the virus (but test negatively) to begin another outbreak in that area. Considering there will be 100's of BCD matches going on across the country at the same time, all with a minimum of 300 people working in close proximity of one another, the likelihood of an infected person testing negative seems dangerously high.

It's an unnecessary risk.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's all about the balance between risk and benefit. Opening a supermarket is risky, but it benefits a lot as it provides necessities to the public and many of the staffs are actually living hand-to-mouth. On the contrary, the 300 people in the stadium include 40 players, 32 coaching and medical staffs, 12 match officials, 8 doctors, 3 league officials and 130 or more media personnel. For most of them, I think they are well paid enough to live for years without football, especially we are talking about the Premier League.

I haven't looked into the proposed precautions in detail, but there are just some precautions you can't implement in football. You can wear a surgical mask in a supermarket, but you can't wear one during a match; you can stay distant from others in a supermarket, but you can't ask players to stay away when playing; you can manage the customer flow in a supermarket, but you can't avoid crowding in corners; you can avoid conversation in a supermarket, but you can't avoid contacts in football.

Testing should never be treated as an indicator of "safe to proceed", rapid tests in particular. It's indeed dangerous to do so especially when the false negative rate is so high and the virus has a latent period of 14 days. The actual point of testing is for epidemiological study so that the government can have a better picture about the rate of transmission, make estimation and tighten/loosen the measures accordingly. The more testing is performed, the better the estimation is. Testing in healthcare professionals also helps assess the adequacy of PPE and prevent transmitting to other patients. So, it isn't pointless after all.
Risk isn’t calculated simply as benefit of football vs cost, which is naturally causing everyone to turn their noses up because footballers with their Ferrari’s practically caused this virus. It is the benefit of ‘normality vs cost’ in this instance. The alternative isn’t as simple to me as not playing football, it is more a question of living in fear of human interaction for indefinite amount of time, and not.

I don’t say that footy is risk free completely, but do resent the dehumanising of everything football related. I don’t think footy is comparable to Supermarkets in significance, but as I’ve said, I do think that when people other than docs and check-out assistants can leave their homes - footballers should be allowed to play too. I appreciate that everyone doesn’t necessarily go body to body at work - but then they will not be policed to the same level of precaution either. You say they can wear surgical masks in a supermarket, but it isn’t a requirement. It isn’t a requirement for everyone in there to be tested, regularly, and their isolation when not in the supermarket is not Policed to the extent of the isolation camps being proposed for footballers. And why not? Is it because we are saying their lives don’t matter? Everyone now suddenly cares so much about the risks being posed to footballers - why are essential supermarket people not being protected in the same way? People are all touching the same surfaces in a supermarket, regardless of going body to body. Nobody is testing people at the door.

A footballer who is isolated in a camp and tested 2-3 times a week, I imagine, is less likely to contract the virus than the rest of the country is by simply shopping and using public transport daily. And again, I’m also a believer in managing/learning to live with the risks as opposed to just staying at home until it goes away, whenever that is.

And while the 300 are financially better off than hourly rare checkout assistants, after that group, they are the same as everyone else. People are so quick to say anyone footy related basically doesn’t need any money, but I reckon only a third at most of that 300 can afford to not work for a year. The footballers perhaps, coaching staff possibly, but probably not the rest. Not to mention the several others who make a living off the football business who do not need to be in the stadium, such as pubs, cabs, hotels, staff who work at William Hill or whatever.

TheReligion

Abusive
So the lower placed teams are now saying they'll agree to the proposed neutral venue idea providing relegation is scrapped..

The more this goes on the more farcical this gets so I have to ask what's the actual point?

Ludens the Red

For your suggestion to be an effective one, testing for the coronavirus must return 100% accurate results, but the problem is no such testing exists.

There are two tests available to the NHS that can determine if you're carrying the virus; a swab test, and a blood test, neither of which are even remotely accurate. Scientists from China who have been studying the virus the moment it emerged are saying 3 out of 10 confirmed carriers might return negative results.

All it takes is for one person among the 300 in attendance of a BCD match to be carrying the virus (but test negatively) to begin another outbreak in that area. Considering there will be 100's of BCD matches going on across the country at the same time, all with a minimum of 300 people working in close proximity of one another, the likelihood of an infected person testing negative seems dangerously high.

It's an unnecessary risk.
Just a couple of things and I’m not trying to be a dick but there’s a few things you’ve said in some of your posts that are incorrect. To start with the PL is not taking kits from the NHS. The PL are investing in their own testing machines/kits which are extremely costly but produce the most effective results. The government are responsible for the NHS and members of the public being tested. It is not the responsibility of the PL. Pl players and clubs have donated money and facilities to the Nhs to assist with testing etc. That’s the most we’re going to get. Expecting the Pl to spend millions on machines and equipment to then roll it out to members of the public is not going to happen.
Lastly, emergency service workers are now ALL able to be tested. Or at least that is the message being told by the NHS to nurses and by the Met to police officers.
I think one of the biggest problems in this thread is misinformation. Don’t think anyone is deliberately doing it but it is one of the reasons there’s so much hostility in the thread. People basically think the Pl are mugging off the Nhs. Theyre really not.
By what logic would a professional footballer deserve testing ahead of the thousands of NHS workers who are at risk daily?

arnie_ni

So the lower placed teams are now saying they'll agree to the proposed neutral venue idea providing relegation is scrapped..

The more this goes on the more farcical this gets so I have to ask what's the actual point?
feck me just call it quits and give liverpool the title and be done with it.

No point whatsoever playing it out if there's no relegation

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

If relegation is scrapped the title surely has to be ? Integrity and all that. Which goes back to your point, what is the point ?

Scrap the whole damn thing.

TheReligion

Abusive
If relegation is scrapped the title surely has to be ? Integrity and all that. Which goes back to your point, what is the point ?

Scrap the whole damn thing.
This is what I've been saying and I know plenty of others agree. What is the actual point now? Think of a way to finish it without playing. Take away the risk and allow clubs to prepare for the new season whenever that may be. Pay the prize money out and workout with TV companies and the government to ensure no one struggles financially. I appreciate some clubs will take a hit but I'm not sure how this bizarre suggestion of trying to finish the game at random venues BCD keeps them afloat any more than it would calling it now and paying out

I'm sure everyone agrees the credibility of the season is already gone. Form is out of the window, players are back from injury and with the enforced break the whole thing has been disrupted too much to see these last 9 games as anything but glorified friendlies.

It's all pointless.

stevoc

I remember back in 2012 when the world was suppose to end on December 21st I was getting ready for work the day before and overheard on the radio that one in ten people were genuinely worried it was legit and the world was ending, some iirc hid in underground caves to try and survive whatever the hell was suppose to be happening.

At the time i thought surely not (1 in 10 think it's happening) but after these last couple of months my thought process has gone the other way to wondering if it was a massive under estimate :lol:
Are you comparing idiots being afraid of a stupid conspiracy theory that the world was going to end based on the Mayan calendar, with people being worried about a very real global pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands and continues to kill more people everyday?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Just a couple of things and I’m not trying to be a dick but there’s a few things you’ve said in some of your posts that are incorrect. To start with the PL is not taking kits from the NHS. The PL are investing in their own testing machines/kits which are extremely costly but produce the most effective results. The government are responsible for the NHS and members of the public being tested. It is not the responsibility of the PL. Pl players and clubs have donated money and facilities to the Nhs to assist with testing etc. That’s the most we’re going to get. Expecting the Pl to spend millions on machines and equipment to then roll it out to members of the public is not going to happen.
Lastly, emergency service workers are now ALL able to be tested. Or at least that is the message being told by the NHS to nurses and by the Met to police officers.
I think one of the biggest problems in this thread is misinformation. Don’t think anyone is deliberately doing it but it is one of the reasons there’s so much hostility in the thread. People basically think the Pl are mugging off the Nhs. Theyre really not.

I haven't paid much attention to the PL's BCD proposal or what measures they're taking to make it a safe working environment, so I had no idea they were going to introduce their testing equipment and use it on the 300 in attendance. Quick question, why does the PL believe their method of testing superior to the one currently in circulation across the globe?
And if it is genuinely superior (which I'm skeptical about) why has it not been made available for public use?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If the football doesn't start again until late 2020 or early 2021, they should just pretend that the last 12 months never happened and just restart from where we were. Have the one season spread out over 19/20/21. That way they don't need to try to fit in the end of 19/20 and start of 20/21.

Potential issues are player contracts and transfers meaning that teams won't have exactly the same line-ups, but it could be looked at as an extended mid-season window.

Personally I expect football to start back up earlier than that, but it's something they should have in the back of their minds if it does go that long.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If the football doesn't start again until late 2020 or early 2021, they should just pretend that the last 12 months never happened and just restart from where we were. Have the one season spread out over 19/20/21. That way they don't need to try to fit in the end of 19/20 and start of 20/21.

Potential issues are player contracts and transfers meaning that teams won't have exactly the same line-ups, but it could be looked at as an extended mid-season window.

Personally I expect football to start back up earlier than that, but it's something they should have in the back of their minds if it does go that long.
I wonder if just scrapping the transfer window from this summer until leagues can follow the same timeframe makes the most sense. It would mean the richer/bigger clubs would be stronger over the next few years, but also clubs who are feeling the strain financially now could alleviate that by cashing in on assets. It would be a way of the football economy to start moving a bit internally without the need to rush playing back and putting people at risk.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Are you comparing idiots being afraid of a stupid conspiracy theory that the world was going to end based on the Mayan calendar, with people being worried about a very real global pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands and continues to kill more people everyday?
Point is there's a fine line between appropriate precautions and irrational behaviour.

Things like washing your hands, avoiding hotspots and not touching anything you don't need need to falls into the former. Refusing to leave the house, shaming people who discuss the logistics of coming out of lockdown and/or wanting this scale of the lockdown until a vaccine fall into the latter.

Ludens the Red

I haven't paid much attention to the PL's BCD proposal or what measures they're taking to make it a safe working environment, so I had no idea they were going to introduce their testing equipment and use it on the 300 in attendance. Quick question, why does the PL believe their method of testing superior to the one currently in circulation across the globe?
And if it is genuinely superior (which I'm skeptical about) why has it not been made available for public use?
It is available to the public but it’s up to the UK government to purchase it and supply it. Suppliers aren’t going to just hand this out to the Nhs through goodwill, you’ve got to buy it. Anyway yeah the government probably won’t invest in it because it’s very expensive. This of course didn’t stop them spending millions on kits that didn’t work from China.
A few hospitals have got the equipment thanks to donations from some generous folk out there. But the Pl won’t be doing the same and to be honest it isn’t really their responsibility to.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news...-accuracy-to-be-rolled-out-across-uk-11967401

Last edited:

Member 101269

I decided to search donations; Manchester United are set to donate 60,000 prepared meals; Chelseas offer rooms in their hotel (presumably they were empty hotels anyway); PL donates 1000 tickets; Manchester United stars donate £3.5MILLION to their local NHS.

It's really nice that you've mentioned the PL has purchased advanced kits for self serving perposes. The NHS probably could have done with better testing, back end systems to support them, rather than 1000 tickets.

Whereas, some actually read what is happening on the ground, rather than misinformation or even change in counting. It's not just about mugging off, it's the inequality in testing.

NHS workers and reactively tested

The proposal is to proactively test footballers

Guess what, PL isnt actually doing anything to help lower that inequality.. Fine, you suggest that isn't the PL's job. You forget the privileged position in society that they hold. PL and footballers are role models, what this says is.. We're alright jack..

Interesting headline in the Telegraph;
Almost half of Britain's doctors have had to buy their own PPE

Last edited by a moderator:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Have you got one quote, just one, from someone that states they want football back at all costs?
I don't have to do the work for you but have you got one from someone saying they hate football?
You're accusing half the posters of it at this stage.

hmchan

Risk isn’t calculated simply as benefit of football vs cost, which is naturally causing everyone to turn their noses up because footballers with their Ferrari’s practically caused this virus. It is the benefit of ‘normality vs cost’ in this instance. The alternative isn’t as simple to me as not playing football, it is more a question of living in fear of human interaction for indefinite amount of time, and not.

I don’t say that footy is risk free completely, but do resent the dehumanising of everything football related. I don’t think footy is comparable to Supermarkets in significance, but as I’ve said, I do think that when people other than docs and check-out assistants can leave their homes - footballers should be allowed to play too. I appreciate that everyone doesn’t necessarily go body to body at work - but then they will not be policed to the same level of precaution either. You say they can wear surgical masks in a supermarket, but it isn’t a requirement. It isn’t a requirement for everyone in there to be tested, regularly, and their isolation when not in the supermarket is not Policed to the extent of the isolation camps being proposed for footballers. And why not? Is it because we are saying their lives don’t matter? Everyone now suddenly cares so much about the risks being posed to footballers - why are essential supermarket people not being protected in the same way? People are all touching the same surfaces in a supermarket, regardless of going body to body. Nobody is testing people at the door.

A footballer who is isolated in a camp and tested 2-3 times a week, I imagine, is less likely to contract the virus than the rest of the country is by simply shopping and using public transport daily. And again, I’m also a believer in managing/learning to live with the risks as opposed to just staying at home until it goes away, whenever that is.

And while the 300 are financially better off than hourly rare checkout assistants, after that group, they are the same as everyone else. People are so quick to say anyone footy related basically doesn’t need any money, but I reckon only a third at most of that 300 can afford to not work for a year. The footballers perhaps, coaching staff possibly, but probably not the rest. Not to mention the several others who make a living off the football business who do not need to be in the stadium, such as pubs, cabs, hotels, staff who work at William Hill or whatever.
So you regard "playing football in an isolated camp" as some sort of normality? With the number of cases and the transmission rate decreasing, the government should gradually loosen the measures, e.g. allowing people to go out, more shops back in business etc. By then the fear for human interaction would be long gone, football is only a bonus and an entertainment just as before. Playing BCD or in a isolated camp creates more fear to me.

Wearing a surgical mask in a supermarket isn't a requirement (frankly I think it should be), but people have the choice not to go to the supermarket, and the choice to wear one if they decide to go. Players, however, have no such option if football is to be restored, unless they gather to strike. They are forced to stay in the camp for months without seeing their loved ones, friends, and are completely isolated from the society. Do you resent these "dehumanizing" acts?

As I've mentioned in my previous post, testing is not an indicator of "safe to proceed", that's why it's meaningless to test people at the supermarket door. It's actually dangerous for a carrier who is tested negative to think he's fine and spread the virus everywhere. By definition, it takes 15 mins face-to-face contact with a COVID-19 positive patient to meet the requirement of "close contact". So unless the checkout assistant is really talkative or unlucky, he should be safe. That said, supermarket workers should be provided with masks and handrubs, and this is happening in my city.

People in an isolated space aren't really as safe as you imagine. Of course it'd be great if everyone stays healthy, but if someone somehow contracts the virus, it would easily cause an outbreak, just like 20% of the passengers were infected on Diamond Princess. I actually wonder how the whole isolated camp works, do you also put the media team in the camp? How about food delivery? Are there sufficient space and training facilities?

Reactions: Fortitude

stevoc

Point is there's a fine line between appropriate precautions and irrational behaviour.

Things like washing your hands, avoiding hotspots and not touching anything you don't need need to falls into the former. Refusing to leave the house, shaming people who discuss the logistics of coming out of lockdown and/or wanting this scale of the lockdown until a vaccine fall into the latter.
Yeah sensible precautions no doubt, i've had to work for the majority of the lockdown myself as i'm a self employed Electrician with my own business. I've been doing this while also caring for my elderly mother, so i've had to change my life drastically and take many precautions.

If that was your point fair enough but surely you could have got that point across without sounding like no offence a bit of a dick?

You or i have no idea why people may or may not be afraid to leave their house, and the personal circumstances in each one of their particular lives that has lead them to thinking that way. Maybe they've lost a loved one, maybe they have health problems physical or mental. I'm sure it wasn't your intention but your post came across like you think those people who are currently afraid because of this virus are akin to those conspiracy wackjobs that believe nonsense posted on Youtube/Facebook.

I don't want to seem like a dick either mate well hopefully i don't. You seem like a decent guy i'm sure. But i think people in here need to have a think about what they're posting, it all seems to be getting a bit personal with regards to peoples characters (on both sides of the argument). Especially with all this terrified, scared, afraid of their own shadows nonsense. Theres no need for it in my opinion.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
What happens if we never develop a vaccine or treatment that works?

if it's not safe to finish this season in June and July then it certainly won't be safe to start a new season in August/ September.

My own preference would be to wait until later in the year or even next year to finish the season at a safer point, but that doesn't seem to be an option? Of the two options that are being presented, Finish the season based on the current table or finish behind closed doors, I would prefer the first option.
This is a current pandemic problem.

Quite a few of us here have higher preferences after the death of more than 28000 people in the UK - for example Not getting sick, Not dying, Not being destitute which are priorities much higher than football.

Member 101269

Whereas, what i consider irrational behaviour is making decisions/ believing you're taking appropriate precautions when all factors aren't known. Perhaps we can called it a guess. It's well know in academia that managers ignore logic in preference for their own bias'.

Last edited by a moderator:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
United were the in-form team in the league before lockdown.
We were in a CL position, pending City's European ban, and we were in another two Cup competitions.
All this pause in proceedings impacts us the most and impacts the integrity of football.

Garry Buck

It’s inevitable at this stage that the season is going to be declared void and Liverpool declared champions. Brighton and now West Ham both oppose the idea of playing at neutral stadiums. The Premier League are running out of idea and in the coming weeks will fold to the pressure.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah sensible precautions no doubt, i've had to work for the majority of the lockdown myself as i'm a self employed Electrician with my own business. I've been doing this while also caring for my elderly mother, so i've had to change my life drastically and take many precautions.

If that was your point fair enough but surely you could have got that point across without sounding like no offence a bit of a dick?

You or i have no idea why people may or may not be afraid to leave their house, and the personal circumstances in each one of their particular lives that has lead them to thinking that way. Maybe they've lost a loved one, maybe they have health problems physical or mental. I'm sure it wasn't your intention but your post came across like you think those people who are currently afraid because of this virus are akin to those conspiracy wackjobs that believe nonsense posted on Youtube/Facebook.

I don't want to seem like a dick either mate well hopefully i don't. You seem like a decent guy i'm sure. But i think people in here need to have a think about what they're posting, it all seems to be getting a bit personal with regards to peoples characters (on both sides of the argument). Especially with all this terrified, scared, afraid of their own shadows nonsense. Theres no need for it in my opinion.
Granted I probably haven't come across the best in here at times but there's also been situations where I've practically been branded every adjective under the sun for my opinion here (which I back up in as much detail as possible for the most part).

The part that confuses me about the not leaving the house thing, why now? Risk is always there to some degree or another (for example for anyone under 40 with no health issues a car journey is probably more dangerous than the virus for them statically in terms of mortality), why now is there people convinced they'll basically playing Russian roulette once they unbolt the front door? I get this is a problem virus and it should be treated with the respect it commands but despite the issues surrounding it the odds are in any one person's favour, even letting it run free (which I'm not in the slightest suggesting we should have done) the morality predictions were still low in the context of the overall population. If I came out of a four month coma today and was first told about the measures taken and the further action lots of the public are taking before having the virus itself explained to me I'd genuinely think this was the bubonic plague, as grim as this situation is, it's far from that level of crisis.

Ultimately we need to find a way to coexist with this virus soon (in other words reopen the world with all the possible precautions) because these measures until a vaccine and by the time it arrives the virus will be the least of our problems.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Granted I probably haven't come across the best in here at times but there's also been situations where I've practically been branded every adjective under the sun for my opinion here (which I back up in as much detail as possible for the most part).

The part that confuses me about the not leaving the house thing, why now? Risk is always there to some degree or another (for example for anyone under 40 with no health issues a car journey is probably more dangerous than the virus for them statically in terms of mortality), why now is there people convinced they'll basically playing Russian roulette once they unbolt the front door? I get this is a problem virus and it should be treated with the respect it commands but despite the issues surrounding it the odds are in any one person's favour, even letting it run free (which I'm not in the slightest suggesting we should have done) the morality predictions were still low in the context of the overall population. If I came out of a four month coma today and was first told about the measures taken and the further action lots of the public are taking before having the virus itself explained to me I'd genuinely think this was the bubonic plague, as grim as this situation is, it's far from that level of crisis.

Ultimately we need to find a way to coexist with this virus soon (in other words reopen the world with all the possible precautions) because these measures until a vaccine and by the time it arrives the virus will be the least of our problems.
You've just said that you are not suggesting that we should have let the virus run free, only to few sentences later compare the measures taken to the ones you would have taken if there was bubonic plague. I'm really not sure you are taking the virus seriously enough, despite repeatedly saying that you are.

Judas

Open to offers
There's massive internalised hatred in football, this pandemic has really brought that right to the fore. I knew it wasn't well thought off by outsiders but I never realized the same low feeling of the game existed within aswell (not to this extent anyway).

The people you've reffered to in your last paragraph have most likely been suppressing those feelings (be it subconsciously or otherwise) for quite some time.
What the feck is this? You've made some truly bizarre posts in this thread, but how did this one not get more attention. Yes you've found us all out, we actually hate football, the greatest twist of all.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
This is a current pandemic problem.

Quite a few of us here have higher preferences after the death of more than 28000 people in the UK - for example Not getting sick, Not dying, Not being destitute which are priorities much higher than football.
Sure. It's not my number one priority either. However this is a thread discussing how the Premier League Season should be concluded.

Of the two options, Finish behind closed doors or finish with the current table, which do you prefer?

Also in the event that we are unable to develop a vaccine or a treatment for the virus, how do you propose football deals with this?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You've just said that you are not suggesting that we should have let the virus run free, only to few sentences later compare the measures taken to the ones you would have taken if there was bubonic plague. I'm really not sure you are taking the virus seriously enough, despite repeatedly saying that you are.
The self imposed measures some are taking along with the wish in some quarters to have these current measures until a vaccine are measures I would have expected for a bubonic plague.

I was an advocate of the intial lockdown because a sticky plaster solution was quite clearly needed as we as a nation were caught flat footed, now the death number is declining and all the measures are being put into place now is the time to find the way to coexist with it.

Ludens the Red

I decided to search donations; Manchester United are set to donate 60,000 prepared meals; Chelseas offer rooms in their hotel (presumably they were empty hotels anyway); PL donates 1000 tickets; Manchester United stars donate £3.5MILLION to their local NHS.

It's really nice that you've mentioned the PL has purchased advanced kits for self serving perposes. The NHS probably could have done with better testing, back end systems to support them, rather than 1000 tickets.

Whereas, some actually read what is happening on the ground, rather than misinformation or even change in counting. It's not just about mugging off, it's the inequality in testing.

NHS workers and reactively tested

The proposal is to proactively test footballers

Guess what, PL isnt actually doing anything to help lower that inequality.. Fine, you suggest that isn't the PL's job. You forget the privileged position in society that they hold. PL and footballers are role models, what this says is.. We're alright jack..
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....7-6bn-UK-economy-2016-17-report-EY-finds.html

People act as if the Pl is the only business in the country who make money, they also don’t cause a drain on the physical or mental well-being of the general public like other high profile big money making business. For example, McDonald’s annual revenue is more than the PL’s. They also pay the majority of their staff dog shit wages. Yet there is no outrage at them. What have they done? Offered free cheeseburgers to Nhs staff? Cheers....
And guess what? McDonalds plan to open up In the next few weeks. They plan to cram a load of underpaid staff into a small kitchen in order to serve garbage food to the unhealthy. Wonderful.

Will McDonalds purchase coronavirus testing machines/kits for their staff to use from their billion dollar business, Will they feck..

I get that pl footballers earn a lot of money but that seems to skew people’s opinion of what they choose to do in terms of assisting during this period but it is the governments responsibility ultimately not theirs.
The government have a far bigger war chest.

I get this is a football thread and it’s about the Pl and ultimately they’ll be the ones under scrutiny but for feck sake there needs some logic and fairness to these discussions. The constant vilification isn’t actually helpful and makes discussions look agenda driven.

We must be the only country in the world where it’s citizens thinks it’s premier football competition is meant to have any sort of financial responsibility for the health service in the country. It’s beyond stupid especially when they actually do contribute, certainly a lot more than other big money businesses.

And as for inequality? This is life, it’s been like this forever, this virus isn’t going to change that. People all over the world have suffered from poverty, horrendous illness etc for years and years whilst other people live in luxury and get better access to medical care purely because of their finance and stature. Seems very disingenuous to try and suggest the PL is responsible for changing this.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What the feck is this? You've made some truly bizarre posts in this thread, but how did this one not get more attention. Yes you've found us all out, we actually hate football, the greatest twist of all.
Ah look, it's the hypocrite who shams people who wants football back while practically begging for Jadon Sancho to come to this club!

Member 101269

It’s inevitable at this stage that the season is going to be declared void and Liverpool declared champions. Brighton and now West Ham both oppose the idea of playing at neutral stadiums. The Premier League are running out of idea and in the coming weeks will fold to the pressure.
They can't declare Liverpool Champions if the season hasn't ended. The only tools in the armoury is to continue to extend the season; at some point they'll have to decide whether its more time on 19/20 or 20/21. Will Liverpool try to force an award?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can be a transfer muppet and still think your posts are absolutely mind boggling mate.
You're shaming anyone who expresses a desire for football back (when logistically possible) but are happy to express clear desire for your club to smash their transfer record in what's going to be the hardest economic climate for decades if not century's.

Mind boggling shameless hypocrisy!

Garry Buck

They can't declare Liverpool Champions if the season hasn't ended. The only tools in the armoury is to continue to extend the season; at some point they'll have to decide whether its more time on 19/20 or 20/21. Will Liverpool try to force an award?
It’s been widely reported that most if not all the teams in the league would not oppose Liverpool being awarded the title. You keep on extending this season then next will be affecting and so on. It will never end. This season will not finish.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
Why not? French league made PSG champions and same thing happened in Dutch league last time I heard.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why not? French league made PSG champions and same thing happened in Dutch league last time I heard.
I don't think they have in the Dutch league but yeah of course there can. They can do what they like. Even if it would be absolutely ridiculous and make the whole thing even more farcical than it already is.