Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Home games with a crowd yes. Home games with no crowd probably less so.
I dunno. In a scenario like this I'd like to be somewhere I feel comfortable such as my home dressing room and a ground I feel familiar in whether there is a crowd or not. All of that plays to advantage too. There are also some clubs that design their home dressing room to be excellent and the away dressing room shite to put the opposing team off.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apparently Wolves returning to training on Monday. Not sure why they would do this unless they feel fairly confident about the PL starting again. There should be no reason for them to return to that unless football is coming back.

Home games with a crowd yes. Home games with no crowd probably less so.
Exactly. So how can it be fair that some teams eg Bournemouth got to play Chelsea at home with a crowd and get a 2-2 draw, but their relegation rivals Villa and West Ham will have to play them at home without a crowd. Or even worse in some neutral venue. Home advantage is a real thing and some teams had it already, and some won't be able to get it.

romufc

Exactly. So how can it be fair that some teams eg Bournemouth got to play Chelsea at home with a crowd and get a 2-2 draw, but their relegation rivals Villa and West Ham will have to play them at home without a crowd. Or even worse in some neutral venue. Home advantage is a real thing and some teams had it already, and some won't be able to get it.
This works to our benefit ? We have 5 away games and only 4 home games. Playing Palace, VIlla, Spurs and Leicester at a neutral ground could benefit us.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Apparently Wolves returning to training on Monday. Not sure why they would do this unless they feel fairly confident about the PL starting again. There should be no reason for them to return to that unless football is coming back.
Wonder where they are going to train. Their training facilities were being used as a food distribution centre as far as I know.

El Zoido

It’ll be back in June, I’m certain of it. We’re past the peak of this now, everyone is feeling it. Crowds won’t be allowed in for a while yet but it’ll be safe enough to resume games BCD.

Ludens the Red

So if that is the case then surely none of the testing capacity that exists within the country should be diverted away from key workers and towards non essential workers like footballers and their support staff then?
*takes a deep breathe*

The PL are sourcing their own testing, they are not taking it out of this phantom ‘nationwide pool’.
You have suppliers worldwide with different kits, some more expensive, some that work better. Some for home testing, some for wider testing. You buy from the suppliers.

The UK government have been promising and failing to provide these kits quickly, due to their general incompetence.
The PL are not incompetent and therefore have provided it for their staff. The PL is not responsible for providing testing centres or kits for anyone other than their own institution. But clubs and players have done exactly that.

The message from above is that ALL essential workers can now be tested. It’s all over the internet and the NHS and Metropolitan police have told their staff they can be tested. So again, yeah nothing is being diverted, nobody is taking anything from anyone.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
Wonder where they are going to train. Their training facilities were being used as a food distribution centre as far as I know.
no aldersley stadium is used for food distribution. Compton has been accessible for individual training since the beginning of the lockdown.
interesting they were informed on Friday

Chelsea team told to fly back too

This works to our benefit ? We have 5 away games and only 4 home games. Playing Palace, VIlla, Spurs and Leicester at a neutral ground could benefit us.
Possibly. Maybe we do and maybe Chelsea or Wolves have a harder run in for fourth place. Whatever the result, it obviously makes it an unfair competition.

romufc

The PL are not incompetent and therefore have provided it for their staff.
Are you sure about that?

The sole reason the season is being complete is because of the money they would lose out on. With no thought given to human life.

What do you think will happen once Liverpool win the 2 games and are crowned champions? people celebrating whilst social distancing?

Emotions will play a big part, hopefully people are sensible on how they go about things if football does start up again.

stevoc

*takes a deep breathe*

The PL are sourcing their own testing, they are not taking it out of this phantom ‘nationwide pool’.
You have suppliers worldwide with different kits, some more expensive, some that work better. Some for home testing, some for wider testing. You buy from the suppliers.

The UK government have been promising and failing to provide these kits quickly, due to their general incompetence.
The PL are not incompetent and therefore have provided it for their staff. The PL is not responsible for providing testing centres or kits for anyone other than their own institution. But clubs and players have done exactly that.

The message from above is that ALL essential workers can now be tested. It’s all over the internet and the NHS and Metropolitan police have told their staff they can be tested. So again, yeah nothing is being diverted, nobody is taking anything from anyone.
The PL will obviously be sourcing their own tests but i'm sceptical that they will be buying them all from outside the UK. Do you know for certain all the kits they purchase will be coming from outside the UK and not from companies that the UK government are buying from? Even if they aren't using the same companies it increases demand for test kits worldwide however little and makes it potentially more difficult for the the government to buy more.

I'd also say its very likely every PL footballer will be tested before all the key workers get tested. Which i feel is the point some are trying to get across in here. The optics of that are bad from a PR standpoint, regardless of where those test kits arrive from.

The PL are not incompetent
Thats debatable.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
*takes a deep breathe*

If the premier league can source tests and the government cannot, it’s the FA’s social obligation to ensure that these tests reach key workers before footballers.

If the FA join the market for covid tests, the government task of sourcing them instantly becomes harder.

It’s really not difficult to understand.

hmchan

1/2. No, incorrect, in a lot of jobs you cannot social distance, it is impossible. You can do as much as you can but it is physically impossible, for example working in a Mcd’s, being a barber, playing football. There is no full proof way of being completely safe and there never ever ever ever will be. The minute this is accepted and we stop going down ‘what if’s’ only then can we actually continue. And again you cannot spread a virus that you don’t have.The Pl is investing in highly advanced, expensive and fast result producing accurate testing kit. There is literally nothing more they can do to be safer short of putting player in giant plastic balls.

3. Supermarkets are essential, McDonalds is not. McDonald’s is a billion dollar profit organisation who routinely brag about the money they make yet their staff are on mediocre wages and work in poor, impossible to socially distant conditions. They unlike the PL will not take anywhere near the same measures at protecting their staff. That is why I originally mentioned them, let’s not get so deep into the specifics of revenue and expenditure.

4. resources .The Uk has continually ranked amongst the lowest in testing, appearing like a third world country whilst football has been suspended. You’ve got countries openly telling the world “we have half a million unused kit” . And we have people in this country on this forum somehow attributing lack of kit/testing to the football(that isn’t even being played and hasn’t for 7 weeks), do you not see how completely ridiculous and absurd this is? Do you think this goes on in any other country?
It’s great being outraged at the state of affairs and taking a moral stand but if it’s directed at the wrong people, it’s meaningless.
The Pl literally have a club that designated their stadium for NHS staff to be tested.

5. The PL contribute billions in tax to the economy. How are you not aware of this? And yes it everyone’s responsibility to pay for the Nhs but it is the governments responsibility to use that money to provide the adequate materials for the emergency services to use which they have failed to do. I know I’ve mentioned this before but our government a few weeks ago spent millions on kit that didn’t work. It’s embarrassing.
Many of your points are actually countered in #9922 and #9943.

There are plenty of precautions you can adopt working as a supermarket staff, a barber, or a McDonald's staff, but not as a football player. You can wear a surgical mask in a supermarket, but you can't wear one during a match; you can stay distant from others in a supermarket, but you can't ask players to stay away when playing; you can manage the customer flow in a supermarket, but you can't avoid crowding in corners; you can avoid conversation in a supermarket, but you can't avoid contacts in football.

"You cannot spread a virus you don't have", how can you be so sure? The sensitivity of testing has always been questioned since the outbreak, even the most sensitive PCR method has an unsatisfactory false negative rate. It is also worth to note that the virus has a latent period of 14 days. I'm a healthcare professional, so I wonder what the highly advanced, expensive and fast result producing accurate testing kit is? Enlighten me and hopefully we may become Nobel Prize contenders. Otherwise we are just making bold decisions based on some unreliable results.

Testing, testing and testing, the one and only point you keep repeating is that the Premier League is rich and it can afford testing. Again and again, I have emphasized that testing is a diagnostic tool, not a precaution. Testing should never be treated as an indicator of "safe to proceed", rapid tests in particular. It's actually dangerous for a carrier who is tested negative to think he's fine and spread the virus everywhere. You can do scans to diagnose a cancer, but doing scans every day does not lower your risk of getting cancer, no matter how good the scan is. Simple as that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If it's true they're pursuing plans to restart because of TV deals/contractual demands, I'd be fuming if I worked at Sky at the suggestion of scrapping relegation.

Watford v Norwich, and it's live.... *Tumbleweed*

romufc

The optics of that are bad from a PR standpoint, regardless of where those test kits arrive from.
Exactly, the optics on this is terrible.

Also, how is this for optics? govt tests results take a couple days currently. The PL want tests that will give results in 2 hours? So that players can get tested before every game.

This doesn't sit well, how can the PL get hold of these tests and the govt can't?

romufc

If it's true they're pursuing plans to restart because of TV deals/contractual demands, I'd be fuming if I worked at Sky at the suggestion of scrapping relegation.
What is the point of completing the season when teams will be playing for nothing? The only reason is TV deals.

Majority of companies have lost millions of £ due to this pandemic, why is everyone worried about football losing money when it is an industry which probably has the most money? I understand clubs will lose on money, but alot of travel companies will lose out on money too.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Exactly, the optics on this is terrible.

Also, how is this for optics? govt tests results take a couple days currently. The PL want tests that will give results in 2 hours? So that players can get tested before every game.

This doesn't sit well, how can the PL get hold of these tests and the govt can't?
I’m especially confused; I’m identified as a keyworker, complete with a letter to show if I get stopped by Police when travelling to work (right. now I don’t have to, I can WFH, but will need to go onsite soon as I can’t remote into operational systems for obvious security reasons), and have been told I can get tested, however that is with the prerequisite that I’m showing symptoms. If I’m not showing symptoms, I can’t get a test.

Ludens the Red

The PL will obviously be sourcing their own tests but i'm sceptical that they will be buying them all from outside the UK. Do you know for certain all the kits they purchase will be coming from outside the UK and not from companies that the UK government are buying from? Even if they aren't using the same companies it increases demand for test kits worldwide however little and makes it potentially more difficult for the the government to buy more.

I'd also say its very likely every PL footballer will be tested before all the key workers get tested. Which i feel is the point some are trying to get across in here. The optics of that are bad from a PR standpoint, regardless of where those test kits arrive from.

Thats debatable.
haha, we don’t produce anything here. We’re importers. Of course there’s no way to know for certain but a good idea was the government purchasing a load of faulty self administering kit from China a few weeks back using millions of pounds to do so. As for demand, like I’ve said a few times, there are countries out there telling us they have 400,000 unused testing kits. What’s more likely? These countries are lying or the Uk government is incompetent ?
If the premier league can source tests and the government cannot, it’s the FA’s social obligation to ensure that these tests reach key workers before footballers.

If the FA join the market for covid tests, the government task of sourcing them instantly becomes harder.

It’s really not difficult to understand.
That last line, should heed your own advice. In the post of mine you quoted I literally told you in the last line that essential workers can now all be tested. And are literally being tested in a Premier League ground. Do not let the government get off scot free. The Pl have filled their social obligation by doing that but it isn’t their job to sort out the whole structure. Are the Pl meant to wait till the government get their house in order and stop dragging their feet in order for them to be able to do anything?
Also why should they bail out the government?

romufc

I’m especially confused; I’m identified as a keyworker, complete with a letter to show if I get stopped by Police when travelling to work (right. now I don’t have to, I can WFH, but will need to go onsite soon as I can’t remote into operational systems for obvious security reasons), and have been told I can get tested, however that is with the prerequisite that I’m showing symptoms. If I’m not showing symptoms, I can’t get a test.
Yeah, the govt are only testing individuals who are showing symptoms, probably to keep the demand down so they can get as many people with symptoms tested.

The PL will have every staff tested prior to games. Which would be a big cost.

arnie_ni

haha, we don’t produce anything here. We’re importers. Of course there’s no way to know for certain but a good idea was the government purchasing a load of faulty self administering kit from China a few weeks back using millions of pounds to do so. As for demand, like I’ve said a few times, there are countries out there telling us they have 400,000 unused testing kits. What’s more likely? These countries are lying or the Uk government is incompetent ?

That last line, should heed your own advice. In the post of mine you quoted I literally told you in the last line that essential workers can now all be tested. And are literally being tested in a Premier League ground. Do not let the government get off scot free. The Pl have filled their social obligation by doing that but it isn’t their job to sort out the whole structure. Are the Pl meant to wait till the government get their house in order and stop dragging their feet in order for them to be able to do anything?
Any proof all essential workers can now be tested?

hmchan

Yeah, the govt are only testing individuals who are showing symptoms, probably to keep the demand down so they can get as many people with symptoms tested.

The PL will have every staff tested prior to games. Which would be a big cost.
The government is only testing individuals who are showing symptoms because it's meaningless to test a random asymptomatic guy. It's even dangerous for a carrier who is tested negative to think he's fine and spread the virus everywhere.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If you are honest then you have to admit that talking about a gift in this context is pretty ridiculous. Liverpool believes (as anyone would in their situation) that they already won it so how can you gift them something they already have? Yeah I know mathematically it's still possible but let's be real here. I mean would you say that United was "gifted" a PL place next year because they avoided relegation if the season was cancelled? Again Liverpool is one of the only teams that will gain nothing and can only lose.
I didn't know they already won the league.

Extra time of 1999 CL final and your team are winning 1-0, United score two goals, in two minutes, and bag the trophy.
Remember?

hmchan

If you are a keyworker, you can go to work, probably with precautions such as wearing a surgical mask. But again, testing is a diagnostic tool, not a precaution, so it's meaningless to do one if you aren't showing symptoms.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
*takes a deep breathe*

Who is going to do the testing actually for the Premier League? Are they also buying medical staff and labs and not taking them out of this, as you call it, phantom nationwide pool?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

They wouldn't be bailing out the government, by the way, the same government who is currently giving them all sorts of financial aid, but they would be bailing out the population of the country.

TheLord

Do you understand the difference between those hundreds of thousands of unused rapid diagnostic kits that are primarily intended for mass surveillance (antibodies) and the actual PCR based diagnostic tests needed for active disease confirmation?

And that relying on these rapid kits (sensitivity anywhere between 30 to 80%, possibly to be brought from China) to start a contact sport is like playing with fire?

Ludens the Red

Many of your points are actually countered in #9922 and #9943.

There are plenty of precautions you can adopt working as a supermarket staff, a barber, or a McDonald's staff, but not as a football player. You can wear a surgical mask in a supermarket, but you can't wear one during a match; you can stay distant from others in a supermarket, but you can't ask players to stay away when playing; you can manage the customer flow in a supermarket, but you can't avoid crowding in corners; you can avoid conversation in a supermarket, but you can't avoid contacts in football.

"You cannot spread a virus you don't have", how can you be so sure? The sensitivity of testing has always been questioned since the outbreak, even the most sensitive PCR method has an unsatisfactory false negative rate. It is also worth to note that the virus has a latent period of 14 days. I'm a healthcare professional, so I wonder what the highly advanced, expensive and fast result producing accurate testing kit is? Enlighten me and hopefully we may become Nobel Prize contenders. Otherwise we are just making bold decisions based on some unreliable results.

Testing, testing and testing, the one and only point you keep repeating is that the Premier League is rich and it can afford testing. Again and again, I have emphasized that testing is a diagnostic tool, not a precaution. Testing should never be treated as an indicator of "safe to proceed", rapid tests in particular. It's actually dangerous for a carrier who is tested negative to think he's fine and spread the virus everywhere. You can do scans to diagnose a cancer, but doing scans every day does not lower your risk of getting cancer, no matter how good the scan is. Simple as that.
Yes, i know it’s not the same level of social distancing but by virtue of the testing capabilities of the Pl compared to say a Mcds or shop, the risk of spread is reduced considerably. Unless you are suggesting that testing is that ineffective that it will make no difference to the comparative spread in these industries?

I’m a bit confused, are you asking me how I can be so sure you can’t spread a virus you don’t have ? You’re gonna have to enlighten me on that bit, maybe I’ve misread?

I mean the internet is there, you can find loads of information on high quality kit/machines, bad quality ones. We know the Pl is intending on investing on the best available.

Testing should never be an indicator of safe to proceed? Then why the feck are we even bothering with anything? The whole basis for us carrying on as a society is implementing a track and trace method via testing.
And that cancer comparison makes no sense.

Any proof all essential workers can now be tested?
I’m an essential worker and that’s what I’ve been personally emailed.
This is of course with symptoms, but even mild. Ideally, I’d like to get tested every time I turn up for work regardless of symptoms but unless there’s a 2 minute diagnostic machine out there that can test hundreds a day that won’t be happening.

Who is going to do the testing actually for the Premier League? Are they also buying medical staff and labs and not taking them out of this, as you call it, phantom nationwide pool?
Can’t answer that but I Imagine the theory will be this is staff being taken away from covid wards. The reality will of course be different.

Ludens the Red

Do you understand the difference between those hundreds of thousands of unused rapid diagnostic kits that are primarily intended for mass surveillance (antibodies) and the actual PCR based diagnostic tests needed for active disease confirmation?

And that relying on these rapid kits (sensitivity anywhere between 30 to 80%, possibly to be brought from China) to start a contact sport is like playing with fire?
Haha, the whole point of my argument has been that the PL wont be using inadequate testing. So yes I understand.

They wouldn't be bailing out the government, by the way, the same government who is currently giving them all sorts of financial aid, but they would be bailing out the population of the country.
I mean more in the sense of responsibility. There’s a lot of misdirected anger imo. If the focus becomes too much on the PL people will forget the shambolic performance of the government through all of this. People in the covid thread expressed these concerns a while back when footballers were getting randomly attacked. Deflecting attention from the government. Maybe that’s why the government are very pro for a return of the PL. So the attention and criticism goes there and not on them. :wenger:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Haha, the whole point of my argument has been that the PL wont be using inadequate testing. So yes I understand.

I mean more in the sense of responsibility. There’s a lot of misdirected anger imo. If the focus becomes too much on the PL people will forget the shambolic performance of the government through all of this. People in the covid thread expressed these concerns a while back when footballers were getting randomly attacked. Deflecting attention from the government.
I don't believe that to be true. And if football was criticised, which in honesty was correct given clubs were attempting to take government funds to furlough staff, then that critisim was warrented. I agree anger was missplaced as people went for the players, but the critism for football was warranted. It did not stop the government getting criticism

arnie_ni

Is it true liverpool ladies want their league voided, who are in the relegation zone?

Hilarious if true

stevoc

Right so the UK government bought faulty kits from China and some countries somewhere in the world may or may not have surplus testing kits of some description. Good to know thanks for the info mate.

What does that have to do with what we were discussing with regards to the PL?

Also has it occurred to you that countries stockpiling so many test kits that they haven’t used them all yet doesn’t preclude the possibility there is or could be a shortage of viable test kits available for sale on the market?

Ludens the Red

I don't believe that to be true. And if football was criticised, which in honesty was correct given clubs were attempting to take government funds to furlough staff, then that critisim was warrented. I agree anger was missplaced as people went for the players, but the critism for football was warranted. It did not stop the government getting criticism
Fair point about the furlough and that shouldn’t be forgotten about. It was disgusting and despicable, though at least Spurs went some way towards something of a redeem by making their ground available for NHS staff to be tested.

I Just think it’s really misguided. Dunno if we have any resident Spanish or Italian people in this thread but I’d love to know if Serie a and La Liga are getting the same stinging criticism in their countries. We’ve seen a few German posters on here not bat an eyelid but their situation is different.

Right so the UK government bought faulty kits from China and some countries somewhere in the world may or may not have surplus testing kits of some description. Good to know thanks for the info mate.

What does that have to do with what we were discussing with regards to the PL?

Also has it occurred to you that countries stockpiling so many test kits that they haven’t used them all yet doesn’t preclude the possibility there is or could be a shortage of viable test kits available for sale on the market?
Well isn’t the argument that the PL are reducing the uks overall resource because there’s a shortage and that the PL are partly the cause of that?

What do we know so far? We know the uk testing throughout has been mediocre and resembles statistics from a third world country. We know they failed to find adequate Ppe in timely manor. We know they spent a lot of money on rubbish kit. We know they took too long to test emergency services workers.We know they’ve been making it up as they go along. We know they came on tv and told us “sorry you feel that way”...all this by the way whilst no football was being played.
Why does every other comparative country to us seem to be better at us with this particular area?

So if we’re to draw conclusions, what is more likely? The UK government are incapable of providing adequate and efficient testing kits/procedures because they’ve repeatedly shown themselves to be useless or that the UK government is struggling to do this because the PL are taking their intended resources ?

Last edited:

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
The french and dutch leagues have already been voided.
They have been abandoned not voided, two different things.

In the dutch league the standings have been used for CL qualification.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
''Of the two options, Finish behind closed doors or finish with the current table, which do you prefer?''
None of these two is my preference.

''Also in the event that we are unable to develop a vaccine or a treatment for the virus, how do you propose football deals with this?''
Football can wait not be pushed by Sky, BT and Liverppol.

''Sure. It's not my number one priority either.''
We all know what your number one priority is: anything that gifts the League to Liverpool.
Voiding the season has been taken off the table. Its between finish behind closed doors or finish with the current table now, so of those two options which one would you pick?

If we never develop vaccine or treatment, then Football will have to adapt to the virus, just like all industries around the world. Some clubs will already be massively up against it now as the rely on gate receipts.

I didn't know they already won the league.

Extra time of 1999 CL final and your team are winning 1-0, United score two goals, in two minutes, and bag the trophy.
Remember?
How can you compare being 1-0 up to being 25 points clear? If you want an accurate analogy Liverpool are at least 6-0 up with a few minutes to go.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
How can you compare being 1-0 up to being 25 points clear? If you want an accurate analogy Liverpool are at least 6-0 up with a few minutes to go.
At least 6-0 up - They're so fantastic!
The greatest team in the History of Football.