Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Tel074

Just watched an interview with a Belgian player of Köln - said they trained all day with the 3 players which have afterwards been confirmed as positive cases. Not sure how one can justify that? His wife is a heart patient too, so he's not eager on playing out the season.

The virus is slowing down but simply hasn't died down fast enough to warrant any restart of a sports competition. We don't even know what the long-term effects on health will be, e.g. lung or heart complications. It's just not worth it for a top professional to sacrifice or risk his entire career to play a few more games because the leagues want them to. It's sad, and everyone wants to see some football ASAP, but it's just not responsible or even justifiable at this moment.

I think there's also a discrepancy between players who don't have anything left to play for (Aguero) and those who do (De Bruyne) regarding their desire to finish the season. Some would say it's an acceptable risk, others wouldn't bother anymore because what's the point.

Great post .

Totally agree with everything you said . It's at times like these that we realise that football just isn't that important and it's only a game . As much as we all love it and are passionate about our teams it just isn't worth someone dying over

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great post .

Totally agree with everything you said . It's at times like these that we realise that football just isn't that important and it's only a game . As much as we all love it and are passionate about our teams it just isn't worth someone dying over
It's also worth remembering though that football is also the source of livelihood for many people. Maybe the players aren't affected monetarily so badly, but the whole industry, which would include many low paid workers are affected.
People often underestimate how intricately connected industries are in this capitalist economy of ours. It's not simply about shutting down one industry, because with it many others will also suffer.

Tel074

It's also worth remembering though that football is also the source of livelihood for many people. Maybe the players aren't affected monetarily so badly, but the whole industry, which would include many low paid workers are affected.
People often underestimate how intricately connected industries are in this capitalist economy of ours. It's not simply about shutting down one industry, because with it many others will also suffer.

Just like nearly everyone else atm . My businesses have been shut for 7 weeks now with no sign of a reopen and I understand because we are seen as non essential. I understand loads of people are affected by football not being played but no way should football be reopened when deemed not safe while the rest of us are still unable you do so .

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Maybe one of the german lads can comment but I dont understand why they have delayed by a week. Is it because of the 10 cases, because they have said its to ensure a quarantine of 14 days. If that is the case what happens when you get another 10 cases, I though the point was that they didnt care if there were individual players with the virus, the games would go on?
There was not a delay. Do not believe the mirror c**ts.
Today was the first time the government made a decision about that.
There is no way that PL will void the season while Bundesliga is back in business.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Belgian football suspended until (at least) 31 July, the government announced an hour ago.

Redcy

There is no way that PL will void the season while Bundesliga is back in business.

Ah ok, makes more sense! I assumed it was true which was stupid given its the mirror.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Facts. I don't know why people forget this. Of course, entertainment isn't a necessity but people tend to have a very myopic view of its impact. Sports leagues and clubs employ directly employ many people and affect the livelihoods of thousands of small and medium-sized businesses. Professional sports and entertainment industries do not operate in a vacuum. Go tell small businesses in Austin the impact of canceling SXSW (some of the personal stories are heartbreaking) or the furloughed staff of professional leagues.

I was too was initially very critical of people who wanted to get back to work. However, after hearing more than enough stories of people losing their livelihoods due to the economic impact of COVID, I not only realize the privilege I have to keep my job and work from home, but I also realize I sound foolish passing judgment on individuals or industries that have been severely impacted.

arnie_ni

None of those people will be helped by bcd games though?

Playing these games out wont help the man working in the club store, or the man with a burger van

OleBoiii

Belgian football suspended until (at least) 31 July, the government announced an hour ago.
It's interesting to see so many different solutions...

France: finish season "as is"
Netherlands: void(minus CL and EL places)
Germany = OK to start playing in mid/late May.
Belgium = Not OK to start playing before 31 July, and maybe not even then

Blackwidow

Does not really surprise - the countries were differently hit by the virus and the lockdown measures are different, too.

Germany never had a lockdown of the industry, the society is already more opened than in Spain, France etc. - the players are already in training (even if only in small groups with distancing) since about a month.

Death per 100,000 inhabitants/weeks

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

We've had a resolution on the table since early April to end the season with Bruges as champions and no relegation - just needs to be verified by the general shareholders meeting, but their session has been postponed for 4-5 times or so. I expect a decision will be made soon now after the government's announcement. There's next to no chance that we'll finish this season, but almost sure that Bruges will be declared champions.

OleBoiii

Does not really surprise - the countries were differently hit by the virus and the lockdown measures are different, too.

Germany never had a lockdown of the industry, the society is already more opened than in Spain, France etc. - the players are already in training (even if only in small groups with distancing) since about a month.

Death per 100,000 inhabitants/weeks
Cheers!

Wow, I knew things were bad in Belgium, but not THAT bad!

We've had a resolution on the table since early April to end the season with Bruges as champions and no relegation - just needs to be verified by the general shareholders meeting, but their session has been postponed for 4-5 times or so. I expect a decision will be made soon now after the government's announcement. There's next to no chance that we'll finish this season, but almost sure that Bruges will be declared champions.
I just looked at the table. Are you really just one round of football away from finishing the season? Surely it's possible to finish it before next season? It will be weird to finish the season and then immediately start the next one a week later, but it seems like the best solution to me.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'm at the point where I don't give a feck about next season right now. Suspend indefinitely until players can play then finish the season out and worry about downstream shit (next season, CL, Euros, WC) then.

Something about pretending like 28 games didn't happen, doesn't sit well with me.
Exactly. I’ve been saying this from the beginning but it seems it not has even been considered as option when seasons stop/cancelled when it’s not even clear the next one can start as planned.

Redcy

just looked at the table. Are you really just one round of football away from finishing the season? Surely it's possible to finish it before next season? It will be weird to finish the season and then immediately start the next one a week later, but it seems like the best solution to me.

They have a weird play off system that follows that 1 game

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
Surely those in the bottom 3 will want to play if relegation remains.
Out of interest - who came up with the 70% rule.

This vote all comes down to what and how the option is presented to the clubs/players if the games are not played. Sadly for the clubs it will all come down to how much they stand to lose or gain financially.

can you imagine your a Norwich player on performance bonus if the clubs avoids relegation. Get paid by default for underperformance.

I think staying in doors I am starting to go mad but I like the wacky idea of having a super one-off playoff between the relegation mix teams and the top teams in the championship to see who get promoted/relegated. Before the new season if these prem games are not voted in favour.

OleBoiii

They have a weird play off system that follows that 1 game
For promotions and relegations? If so, it's only a handful of extra games.

Then again, looking at the graph posted above Belgium should probably chill for many more months :(

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
For promotions and relegations? If so, it's only a handful of extra games.

Then again, looking at the graph posted above Belgium should probably chill for many more months :(
We have 10 more games remaining after the 1 game, so 11 in total, in line with other European leagues.

Our numbers aren't quite as bad as the graphic suggests by the way, we've just got a very strange way of counting our deaths in elderly homes - we include every death, even non-Covid related since there are (or weren't, it's better now) not enough tests available. That leads to highly likely over-reporting of Covid-19 deaths.

Member 101269

Facts. I don't know why people forget this. Of course, entertainment isn't a necessity but people tend to have a very myopic view of its impact. Sports leagues and clubs employ directly employ many people and affect the livelihoods of thousands of small and medium-sized businesses. Professional sports and entertainment industries do not operate in a vacuum. Go tell small businesses in Austin the impact of canceling SXSW (some of the personal stories are heartbreaking) or the furloughed staff of professional leagues.

I was too was initially very critical of people who wanted to get back to work. However, after hearing more than enough stories of people losing their livelihoods due to the economic impact of COVID, I not only realize the privilege I have to keep my job and work from home, but I also realize I sound foolish passing judgment on individuals or industries that have been severely impacted.
There is no disputing that sport/football supports directly and indirectly others. Football directly supports less as a proportion of its revenue than many other industries. Add that to the centralised and BCD matches, it boots the financial impact argument out of the park.

Last edited by a moderator:

OleBoiii

We have 10 more games remaining after the 1 game, so 11 in total, in line with other European leagues.
That's certainly an interesting system. I've never seen anything like that before!

Our numbers aren't quite as bad as the graphic suggests by the way, we've just got a very strange way of counting our deaths in elderly homes - we include every death, even non-Covid related since there are (or weren't, it's better now) not enough tests available. That leads to highly likely over-reporting of Covid-19 deaths.
That's good to hear!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Exactly. I’ve been saying this from the beginning but it seems it not has even been considered as option when seasons stop/cancelled when it’s not even clear the next one can start as planned.
Yeah it's weird.

And obviously things can't be dragged on forever, we can't have things in limbo for over a year for example so at that point bin it all. That time point is arbitrary and there is no right/wrong answer. However it shouldn't be binned so that we can start next season on time, we don't even know if a next season can be normally started.

stevoc

Out of interest - who came up with the 70% rule.

This vote all comes down to what and how the option is presented to the clubs/players if the games are not played. Sadly for the clubs it will all come down to how much they stand to lose or gain financially.

can you imagine your a Norwich player on performance bonus if the clubs avoids relegation. Get paid by default for underperformance.

I think staying in doors I am starting to go mad but I like the wacky idea of having a super one-off playoff between the relegation mix teams and the top teams in the championship to see who get promoted/relegated. Before the new season if these prem games are not voted in favour.
How about a play-off between the top two sides to decide who wins the premier league also?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Which should not be an accurate statement. The countries have been affected by the virus in completely different manners, therefore solutions should be adapted to their country.

But because of £££ that'll probably end up being the case (not that it's got anything to do with the Bundesliga, in fact).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Just watched an interview with a Belgian player of Köln - said they trained all day with the 3 players which have afterwards been confirmed as positive cases. Not sure how one can justify that? His wife is a heart patient too, so he's not eager on playing out the season.

The virus is slowing down but simply hasn't died down fast enough to warrant any restart of a sports competition. We don't even know what the long-term effects on health will be, e.g. lung or heart complications. It's just not worth it for a top professional to sacrifice or risk his entire career to play a few more games because the leagues want them to. It's sad, and everyone wants to see some football ASAP, but it's just not responsible or even justifiable at this moment.

I think there's also a discrepancy between players who don't have anything left to play for (Aguero) and those who do (De Bruyne) regarding their desire to finish the season. Some would say it's an acceptable risk, others wouldn't bother anymore because what's the point.
He's one player out of all from two divisions to say anything against the procedure being put in place.

He's already said that his girlfriend has gone to Belgium in the meantime, which is the logical thing to do. People ask have to realise that football clubs also need football back to survive and prevent heavy losses. Players would need to sacrifice a bit to complete the season given the strict procedures in place.

Again, it's not as if football is the only industry being brought back in Germany. Slowly all industries are coming back all with the same risks that football faces.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wish they'd just hand City the title already, it was obvious they were going to win it.

I mean, why delay the inevitable?

90 + 5min

Is there any document showing how Bundesliga is supposed to play? What rules have been put and how is it going to happen.

Rooney24

Comparing Germany with the UK is a pretty pointless comparison.

On every single metric Germany are ahead of the UK on this and by a distance as well. So just because the BL will start isnt at all to say the PL will.

A more fair comparison would be with Italy. If they get Serie A up and running then the PL would have a chance.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Be interesting to see what happens in the vote. So far, it is suggested that the bottom 6 do not want to play again, but surely you can add Chelsea and Leicester to that list. They would be mental to want to play on, especially Chelsea. So, I would say it is 8 against.

The teams certain to want to play, I would list as; Dippers, Le Arse, Spuds, Utd, Wolves, Sheff Utd. So, 6.

That leaves; City, Palace, Everton, Burnley, Newcastle, Southampton to split the vote. Personally, if I were Newcastle and Southampton, I wouldn't feel that safe with all the changes being suggested and for Newcastle the rumours surrounding Bruce, whilst I am not too sure what is in it for City, especially as Pep's mother died of it.

Everton, Burnley and Palace really do not have any skin in the game, so will probably just go with the group/teams they usually associate with.

Blackwidow

Which should not be an accurate statement. The countries have been affected by the virus in completely different manners, therefore solutions should be adapted to their country.

But because of £££ that'll probably end up being the case (not that it's got anything to do with the Bundesliga, in fact).
How functions training in the different countries?

Barcelona had medicals today before starting training - but I did not get out at first glance what kind of training that will be.

The Bundesliga does training in small groups since three or four weeks after training together often in team conferences at home before that. The players surely are top fit right now - even if they will need some days of full training before the start of the league.

hp88

Comparing Germany with the UK is a pretty pointless comparison.

On every single metric Germany are ahead of the UK on this and by a distance as well. So just because the BL will start isnt at all to say the PL will.

A more fair comparison would be with Italy. If they get Serie A up and running then the PL would have a chance.
Yep, they're miles ahead of us. Think we will end up tracking what ever Italy do with regards to the lockdown.

TheLord

From what I gather, the first major hurdle to a potential resumption of the season is whether 14 clubs will agree with the idea of playing the remainder of the season in neutral venues. If that agreement is not reached, I am sure that is curtains for the season.
Even if the ‘neutral venue issue’ agreement is reached, there are dozens of other serious issues, but seemingly, this is the first point of contention.