Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
He must he a dipper, restarting the league and having to listen to the scouse crowing whilst all this is still going on will be unbearable, lift the nation's spirits my arse.
From the comments I've seen, denying Liverpool the title would be the best way to lift the majority of the nations spirits!

Snafu17

Slovenian FA released a statement pretty much begging the government to let them play as soon as possible, because otherwise football is completely fecked over here.

I can't imagine other leagues outside the top 5 are all that different. There's going to be a fair amount of clubs folding all around Europe over the course of this pandemic.

90 + 5min

Slovenian FA released a statement pretty much begging the government to let them play as soon as possible, because otherwise football is completely fecked over here.

I can't imagine other leagues outside the top 5 are all that different. There's going to be a fair amount of clubs folding all around Europe over the course of this pandemic.
That is when football becomes to big. If there were common sense in economic thinking there wouldn’t be any problems. But clubs have lived without reflection what would happen in bad times.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This is getting ridiculous. I understand that you have to think about every possible solution but it is not football anymore. There is no logic whatsoever in playing football. Cancel, give Liverpool title and move on planing next season.
Cancel, don't give Liverpool the title and move on planning next season.

From the comments I've seen, denying Liverpool the title would be the best way to lift the majority of the nations spirits!
Such a good idea - thank you lots. :lol:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Its literally the definition of null and void. You can't void the season and pay out prize money etc. If you void the season then essentially teams have just played 28/29 meaningless friendly's so fans and broadcasters have paid way over the odds for games that didn't mean anything. Finishing the season with the current table is completely different to null and void. Prize money can be paid out and the games would still be classed as league games. You are right though it would be down to the FA to determine if they should follow the examples set by France or the Netherlands.

Yeah I've seen that. So even if PSG were only ahead on goal difference they would have been crowned champions in France? If the English Premier League season finishes on 29 games though it would be very unlikely that they would deny Liverpool the title because of how certain they were of winning it. Sorting out the rest of the table is more of an issue.
You cant sort out liverpool and not everyone else. I have been consistent from the outset on this - whatever the outcome it has to treat all teams the same.

Regarding the part that people paid over the odds for 29 meaningless friendlies, this is a non starter. At the time the games were played they were competetive league matches and nobody could have reasonably foreseen that the world was about to be turned upside down by this virus. Its like saying you want a refund for something that you have already eaten. The 29 games have come and gone and the sponsors have got the exposure and publicity or whatever they paid for already.
The missing 9 games is the issue - thats where they have the argument. Broadcasters should have no say in the competitive integrity of the game. The issue for them is getting 9 games worth of ROI on their sponsorship investment.
Finishing with the current table is not fair for several clubs. It suits the top 4 alone.

Dve

Several news outlets quote Reuters that German football will be given green light to start up again from May 15.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
You cant sort out liverpool and not everyone else. I have been consistent from the outset on this - whatever the outcome it has to treat all teams the same.

Regarding the part that people paid over the odds for 29 meaningless friendlies, this is a non starter. At the time the games were played they were competitive league matches and nobody could have reasonably foreseen that the world was about to be turned upside down by this virus. Its like saying you want a refund for something that you have already eaten. The 29 games have come and gone and the sponsors have got the exposure and publicity or whatever they paid for already.
The missing 9 games is the issue - thats where they have the argument. Broadcasters should have no say in the competitive integrity of the game. The issue for them is getting 9 games worth of ROI on their sponsorship investment.
Finishing with the current table is not fair for several clubs. It suits the top 4 alone.
There is no outcome that will treat all teams the same. voiding the league is punishing teams that have had a good season to benefit teams that have had a bad season. You are effectively deducting Liverpool 82 points and Man City 57 etc.

You aren't taking in to consideration things like prize money though. You can't void the league and award prize money. If no more football can be played before the cut off point for ending the season you would have to award prize money based on the current table or not at all. Finishing with the current table is very harsh on the three clubs currently in the relegation zone and also Wolves, Man United and Sheffield United as the 4th Champions League place was hard to call. The other 14 clubs would be fairly happy, except maybe Spurs and Arsenal who would benefit by gaining entry to Europe, but even then I don't think this would compensate enough for loss of prize money and other financial incentives.

Its a really difficult thing to call at the moment. As one of my mates pointed out, if they start playing behind closed doors and Liverpool get to the point where they can't be caught, will they just 'rest' their entire first team and throw in the kids for the remaining games? Also if they scrap relegation then the majority of teams have very little to play for!

My own personal preference would be to wait until later in the year to resume the season, but that seems to have been taken off the table now. As far as I can see its between finish with the current table vs behind closed doors.

Pagh Wraith

Other European leagues have confirmed starting dates now. Hungary (23 May), Poland (29 May), Portugal (30 May)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Cancelling the women's football as it's not "safe", yet ploughing on trying to get the men's one going is bizarre.
It's almost like there's 100s of millions of moolah different between the two.
Potential court cases if male players catch it after women’s is cancelled

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Hancock's interview on R4 Today this morning indicates that there is now political will behind bringing back Premier League football as a 'morale booster'. I won't repeat the well-worn practical objections here, but that could be the clincher. Oh, and horse racing, too.
Foreign minister Raab on restarting sport leagues: "It would lift the spirits of the nation".

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...es-behind-closed-doors-minister-idUSS8N2BG07E
Good call there @Scriblerus . The Tories really are laughably predictable.

I was sort of against a quick restart here in Germany but given that they'll sort of have reopened everything by mid May anyway I guess that'll be it. From a risk perspective the reopening of restaurants will hit way way harder then a couple of matches behind closed doors, from a society's perspective it's obvious that football has been given special treatment compared to others but big money obviously talks. And given that there are way way bigger examples of economic privileges and disgusting neoliberal mechanisms (such as German government once again planning to helping out the car industry instead of prioritizing green and sustainable sectors) right now I don't even bother too much. Oh and I'll definitely be a hypocrit and watch as well.

Once is for sure, if the Bundesliga really is given the green light and the first two matchdays go through as planned it'll result in an arms race for the other leagues to get going as quick as possible. Just for marketing reasons the big leagues will want to be back in the spotlight as quick as possible.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The whole thing seems to be an extraordinary mixture of ill thought out idea.
Even Raab today refused to give any sort of "well, we're in lock down at the moment, so of course any idea of football is ludicrous for the foreseeable"

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
There is no outcome that will treat all teams the same. voiding the league is punishing teams that have had a good season to benefit teams that have had a bad season. You are effectively deducting Liverpool 82 points and Man City 57 etc.

You aren't taking in to consideration things like prize money though. You can't void the league and award prize money. If no more football can be played before the cut off point for ending the season you would have to award prize money based on the current table or not at all. Finishing with the current table is very harsh on the three clubs currently in the relegation zone and also Wolves, Man United and Sheffield United as the 4th Champions League place was hard to call. The other 14 clubs would be fairly happy, except maybe Spurs and Arsenal who would benefit by gaining entry to Europe, but even then I don't think this would compensate enough for loss of prize money and other financial incentives.

Its a really difficult thing to call at the moment. As one of my mates pointed out, if they start playing behind closed doors and Liverpool get to the point where they can't be caught, will they just 'rest' their entire first team and throw in the kids for the remaining games? Also if they scrap relegation then the majority of teams have very little to play for!

My own personal preference would be to wait until later in the year to resume the season, but that seems to have been taken off the table now. As far as I can see its between finish with the current table vs behind closed doors.
I think we're both on a similar wave length here but the issue of prize money can't be dictating a conclusion based on that it has to given out. Don't you think the top 6 clubs could forgo their portion to help the smaller clubs that will be in dire financial needs after this shit storm.

There's too many issues to consider for a simple solution and it will start coming to a head when Boris and his gaggle tell the club's what they can and cant do.

Its fairly obvious where certain clubs will be for a table as is scenario and who won't be.
Sporting integrity is the most important for me and any ending must maintain that but my hunch is that sporting integrity will go out the window for the money that will dictate the situation. This will truly prove that the money has rotted the core of the football

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Every comments section under all these tweets is exactly the same.
Anyone who says anything except for play it out, is accused of being a bitter Manc, or a supporter of a relegation fodder team!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I would want to watch it, but how do we watch it when we're not in Korea? Question from someone in the US...

Edit: Looks like ESPN might buy the rights. Good to know!
It will be on the betting sites.

Raab was actually asked about football restarting next month in the presser today and he was pretty much all for it. Government is all for it coming back so that's another reason why premier league hasn't thought of voiding unless it gets taken out of their hands like France did with their sports.

90 + 5min

Cancelling the women's football as it's not "safe", yet ploughing on trying to get the men's one going is bizarre.
It's almost like there's 100s of millions of moolah different between the two.
Equality. Football family. Bla bla bla. For some, there is only some signs that are important. €, $, £.

90 + 5min

Never ending story. Lot of questions but there are people at top that just want to go trough with it. Whatever it takes. Wouldn’t suprise me if someone came up with solution to finish League and Cups by playing games on playstation. If they only had same amount energy and will for other things, like enviroment and social injustice.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
The left leaning politicial idiot that has destroyed the U.K. has resigned because he couldn’t keep his cock in his pants. The U.K. needs to be released from this idiots influence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52553229
Last time I checked it was a bunch of hard right idiots running the country and responsible for political decisions. Re: keeping cock in pants - the one at the top of this cabal won’t even reveal how many kids he has fathered.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
Last time I checked it was a bunch of hard right idiots running the country and responsible for political decisions. Re: keeping cock in pants - the one at the top of this cabal won’t even reveal how many kids he has fathered.
Boris is not right wing, he is a puppet. It’s about time we all realsed that we are being taken for mugs. Politicans are only interested in themselveS. Honest people are not represented by any politicial party in the U.K. This Ferguson doctor has destroyed the U.K. regardless of your political persuasio.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If I was a footballer I would currently be very aware of the fact that a large section of the UK's politicians, media and populace tend to regard footballers with some degree of contempt. As such, in the event that football returns and a risk is suddenly posed to my health there would be a lot of people happy to shrug their shoulders and say "well, they're paid well enough", with little sympathy for the impact it could potentially have on my life. With that in mind, now is very a much a moment where footballers should be looking to stand up for themselves and protect their own wellbeing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Boris is not right wing, he is a puppet. It’s about time we all realsed that we are being taken for mugs. Politicans are only interested in themselveS. Honest people are not represented by any politicial party in the U.K. This Ferguson doctor has destroyed the U.K. regardless of your political persuasio.
Who is he a puppet of?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Advisors advise and politicians make the decision. The govt are responsible for this mess. They decided not to learn from Exercise Cygnus, implement a late lockdown and have been on the back foot ever since. The FT are reporting that true current death toll could be >50k. No doubt the govt will try to shift blame and the inquiry will be a whitewash. Like the miners at Orgresve, the fans at Hillsborough and the firefighters at Grenfell some group will get the blame. It’s a well worn routine - starts with denial, moves on to cover-up and ends up with a limp apology decades later when it’s new faces in govt.

AlwaysRed66

Advisors advise and politicians make the decision. The govt are responsible for this mess. They decided not to learn from Exercise Cygnus, implement a late lockdown and have been on the back foot ever since. The FT are reporting that true current death toll could be >50k. No doubt the govt will try to shift blame and the inquiry will be a whitewash. Like the miners at Orgresve, the fans at Hillsborough and the firefighters at Grenfell some group will get the blame. It’s a well worn routine - starts with denial, moves on to cover-up and ends up with a limp apology decades later when it’s new faces in govt.
Lets get one thing straight here. The government wasn't days late, or even weeks late, it was months late. Just like Abe, Sanchez, Conte, Macron, Merkel, Trump & every other western leader in Europe. China should have been locked down mid Jan, & we should have had clear guidelines, quarantining everyone from these areas. The whole thing has been a dismal failure from the start, & questions should be asked about the lot of them after this has ended. This doesn't include the economic aftereffects. We are on an Island for heavens sake. New Zealand & later even Australia used this to their advantage.

Dve

If football players catch the virus during games, I don´t see why their case being any stronger than for a school teacher, or a bartender.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If football players catch the virus during games, I don´t see why their case being any stronger than for a school teacher, or a bartender.
True but they could argue that ladies football was declared unsafe but men’s wasn’t. Why?

Dve

If I was a footballer I would currently be very aware of the fact that a large section of the UK's politicians, media and populace tend to regard footballers with some degree of contempt. As such, in the event that football returns and a risk is suddenly posed to my health there would be a lot of people happy to shrug their shoulders and say "well, they're paid well enough", with little sympathy for the impact it could potentially have on my life. With that in mind, now is very a much a moment where footballers should be looking to stand up for themselves and protect their own wellbeing.
What about others who will soon also have to go back to work? All football players will even get tested before the games, while the hairdresser won´t have the luxury of having her customers testet before she starts touching their hair. Compared to lot of other workers, footballers are actually quite well protected.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
What about others who will soon also have to go back to work? All football players will even get tested before the games, while the hairdresser won´t have the luxury of having her customers testet before she starts touching their hair. Compared to lot of other workers, footballers are actually quite well protected.
I agree with this, I dont want football back because you know for a fact the scouse will be flooding the streets for days celebrating their first title win in decades (would take an incredible amount of discipline not to).

Footballers are well insulated from everything, I think them piping up now saying they're being hard done by would just exasperate the public's feelings towards them.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Depends on who those others are.

Football is an extremely nonessential industry where physical distancing is impossible. So if I was a footballer, I would be placing my prospective return to work in that context. If other completely non-essential workers aren't returning to jobs where close physical contact is guaranteed then I'd be asking what justification there is for us being fast-tracked. Particularly given that (as you mentioned) a footballer returning to work would gain access to resources that a lot of other more useful workers don't have.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
True but they could argue that ladies football was declared unsafe but men’s wasn’t. Why?
I am not sure anyone is claiming its safe, it is weighing pros and cons.

The safest thing is for everyone to spend the next 18 months at home but there are other considerations.

Greck

The honest truth is no one is likely winning any court case for being told to resume work especially if approved by the government (as long as they arent flouting agreed safety protocols). Even the Judges would have also had to resume work to hear that suit. They aren't making a decision that opens the floodgates in a time of economic necessity

Redcy

The honest truth is no one is likely winning any court case for being told to resume work especially if approved by the government (as long as they arent flouting agreed safety protocols). Even the Judges would have also had to resume work to hear that suit. They aren't making a decision that opens the floodgates in a time of economic necessity
depends on what protocols are used and if the players can show the measures were not good enough.Government approval has nothing to do with it.

arnie_ni

If you have 2 groups of footballers in the same country and one is told they cant continue because its unsafe and the other is given the ok, that leads to a potential lawsuit in my unprofessional view