Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/man-utd-dean-henderson-transfer-18215643

The Henderson loan is an interesting situation. We have no reason to extend his loan beyond the end date and help Sheffield United beat us to CL football
We'd be complete idiots to extend it but watch us do it for "sportsmanship" reasons.
If it means getting top 4 ahead of Sheffield United, absolutely.
Extending it is the only sensible solution. We are yet to play Sheffield and he would be ineligible anyway. Chelsea and Leicester are yet to play them. The only time they've conceded 3 goals this season was when he didn't play so bringing him back would essentially mean gifting 3 points to both Leicester and Chelsea.

If we are to get top 4 we need to overtake either Leicester or Chelsea. Weakening Sheffield also means strengthening Leicester and Chelsea in the process which would be incredibly daft. We've started playing some nice football and Rash/Pogba will be back. Beat a Henderson-less Sheffield at OT and that's them pretty much done in the CL race anyway.

Ludens the Red

If said players go home to their family then u risk their family obviously
But that wasn’t the discussion, seems you’re clutching at straws. But I’ll play ball. If any footballer HAS to look after an elderly and ill parent then obviously they shouldn’t go back to playing football. If it’s a case of them having an elderly and ill parent who doesn’t require looking after then I would suggest that unless completely necessary they shouldn’t be visiting them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Even though I said it’s what I think, they are still the most likely causes as they can be backed up with stats and evidence that has been seen not just with this virus but other diseases and medical conditions, and not just in the UK either. What reasons could there be other than to do with socio economic factors? Unless you are saying the virus itself is racist :houllier:
Or Im just saying exactly what I said. We don’t know why yet

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Watch how every relegation threatened club starts to contract the virus :lol:
:lol:

With the, ahem, ‘symptoms’ being open to interpretation, and those showing symptoms being asked to self-isolate, the system is certainly open to corruption.

Considering how morally bankrupt the Premier League is, and the grotesque money swirling around the league, clubs will almost certainly not go down without a fight, and if flaunting the rules allows a club to survive and continue to receive their slice of the pie, expect them to do so.

The next few weeks are going to be brilliant with all the accusations and counter-accusations. The Premier League is going to eat itself from the inside out. Get the popcorn ready! :drool:

Cassidy

But that wasn’t the discussion, seems you’re clutching at straws. But I’ll play ball. If any footballer HAS to look after an elderly and ill parent then obviously they shouldn’t go back to playing football. If it’s a case of them having an elderly and ill parent who doesn’t require looking after then I would suggest that unless completely necessary they shouldn’t be visiting them.
No the discussion what his point not the headline. If you bothered to find out what his point was...

Cassidy

His mother lives in his house by the way

Sara125

Or Im just saying exactly what I said. We don’t know why yet
Okay. So you mentioned genetic differences...what possible genetic differences between BAME and white people do you think could cause the disproportionate deaths from the virus?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Oh without a doubt. This is going to be so messy legally, and clubs are going to be kicking up a huge fuss no matter what is decided. Pretty sure Plymouth Argyle are already readying their legal case against the EFL inevitably cancelling their season.

On the plus side, Sky could always get the TV rights for these court cases - sure fans will be willing to follow this more than a match between Norwich and Aston Villa with chance of relegation having been taken off the table :lol:
:lol:

The judge holds John Terry in contempt of court for pissing in Daniel Farke's Coke can. Sounds great, I'm in!

Cassidy

Okay. So you mentioned genetic differences...what possible genetic differences between BAME and white people do you think could cause the disproportionate deaths from the virus?
Ive said plenty of times I have no idea what causes the difference. Which was the point

We need an rvn

:lol: feck me are these Liverpool fans now seriously insinuating that a grand conspiracy is at play, where footballers are deliberately contracting Covid-19 to prevent them "their" "title".
Not just Liverpool fans who think there might be foul play so that Brighton aren't able to complete the season and avoid relegation. Very odd for 3 senior players to contract it when they should be isolating separately and the club is actively fighting for the season to restart. I'm not bothered about the title element of the argument.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I just think it's a bit petty tbh. Of course he is Man. United player so you can do what you like with him.

Man. United have behaved very well throughout this crisis imo compared to a few clubs so would seem odd to me to recall someone just so you have a better chance of 5th (let's remember it's Chelsea in 4th you need to catch) especially as we don't know what will happen with Man. City's appeal or even if european football will happen next season (I'd say not).

Also before the break your defence had really improved. Clean sheets v Chelsea and Man. City so wouldn't suggest it was a huge problem even with De Gea past his peak.

BCD will be bigger factor in odd results when play is resumed, more so than recalling loan players.

Skills

Snitch
I just think it's a bit petty tbh. Of course he is Man. United player so you can do what you like with him.

Man. United have behaved very well throughout this crisis imo compared to a few clubs so would seem odd to me to recall someone just so you have a better chance of 5th (let's remember it's Chelsea in 4th you need to catch) especially as we don't know what will happen with Man. City's appeal or even if european football will happen next season (I'd say not).

Also before the break your defence had really improved. Clean sheets v Chelsea and Man. City so wouldn't suggest it was a huge problem even with De Gea past his peak.
Letting him stay there just seems stupid. Imagine if he gets the virus while playing/training for Sheffield United and it results in any kind of long term complication (there are indications of lung damage, which are devastating for an athlete) - what do we get out of it? Will Sheffield Utd reimburse us for the loss then, considering he's worth 30-40m in the current transfer market?

Personally I think all loans should be voided at this time.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Letting him stay there just seems stupid. Imagine if he gets the virus while playing/training for Sheffield United and it results in any kind of long term complication (there are indications of lung damage, which are devastating for an athlete) - what do we get out of it? Will Sheffield Utd reimburse us for the loss then, considering he's worth 30-40m in the current transfer market?

Personally I think all loans should be voided at this time.
My guess would be that there are insurance clauses in his loan contract which cover any injury/illness which ends his career. No consolation to him or Utd fans of course, the lad is excellent and could be your keeper for the next 10 years.

Tel074

Not just Liverpool fans who think there might be foul play so that Brighton aren't able to complete the season and avoid relegation. Very odd for 3 senior players to contract it when they should be isolating separately and the club is actively fighting for the season to restart. I'm not bothered about the title element of the argument.

Brighton don't have 3 players newly tested positive with the virus . 2 tested positive earlier in the pandemic while this one new case has happened . It's just the way it's been reported

prateik

The Henderson situation is irrelevant.. the league is not starting again.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t think there’ll be any football in the UK for the rest of this calendar year.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t think there’ll be any football in the UK for the rest of this calendar year.
The way the UK govt are managing the pandemic you could be forgiven for thinking that they are trying their best to reduce the possibility of a second wave by just sustaining the first wave.

Tel074

I would agree with this. People are getting excited because the German league is restarting yet Germany and the UK are miles apart on the affects of the virus .
I'd be looking to see what Italy do because thats a more likely timeframe to follow for the UK

Reactions: Jippy

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I think they'll be some football in August/September. Have to hope by then new cases and deaths are very low so circumstances will be a little better now than they are now. Whether that's the old season or new season I don't know. However once we get to November I can see more disruption purely with winter starting.

Will all be behind closed doors in any case.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The way the UK govt are managing the pandemic you could be forgiven for thinking that they are trying their best to reduce the possibility of a second wave by just sustaining the first wave.
Well this is the same government that openly suggested herd immunity as an option initially, with a Prime Minister who boasted about shaking hands with people who had the virus.
I think they'll be some football in August/September. Have to hope by then new cases and deaths are very low so circumstances will be a little better now than they are now. Whether that's the old season or new season I don't know. However once we get to November I can see more disruption purely with winter starting.

Will all be behind closed doors in any case.
I can’t see it coming back whilst there’s a risk of players getting it. No professional athlete wants to risk their career like that. Imagine a 20 year old catches it and gets lung damage which ruins his career.

Pagh Wraith

I would agree with this. People are getting excited because the German league is restarting yet Germany and the UK are miles apart on the affects of the virus .
I'd be looking to see what Italy do because thats a more likely timeframe to follow for the UK
Around four weeks, I'd say. No football for the rest of the year is absurd.

The FAs in Spain, Italy and England are working intensely on coming up with a plan to restart their leagues. You could be forgiven for dismissing Germany's efforts in the beginning because they were the first, even though the league had been openly briefing everyone for a while. But to still to be claiming there will be no football for the foreseeable future is bordering on wilful ignorance at this point. And do not confuse the question of whether or not the league will continue with whether it is (morally) right to do so or not. This is what the discussion with regards to Germany seems to have shifted to now that everyone has realised the Bundesliga is indeed continuing next weekend.

arnie_ni

Which then effects the squad a team can pick from and its not comparable to picking up an injury

RyRy11

If it wasn't Liverpool at the top of the league, ahead by X number of points, would you think it fair to award that team the title? In turn, legitimising the matches they took part in this season, and then turning to the other 19 clubs and saying this season never happened?

You would literally be saying that every game they had taken part in only counted for them, and not their opposition.

I want a solution to the end of the season which acknowledges how teams have performed, but I don't want a rule for one and not the others.
Agreed. Giving Liverpool the title after completing 2/3s of the season isn't fair if they've not won it mathmatically but what would be worse is awarding them the title and not relegating or promoting teams (and vice versa). You either do all or none.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Well this is the same government that openly suggested herd immunity as an option initially, with a Prime Minister who boasted about shaking hands with people who had the virus.
Yep and incredibly the last time I looked his and the govt's ratings are very high. A compliant media has helped them turn the second highest death toll and the fourth highest death rate into a "success" story. :confused:

stevoc

Hilarious to see these Liverpool fans constructing these increasingly deranged and lethal ideas to get footballers "back to work". What's next for these delusional fools? 3 and in competitions in full hazmat , using a beach ball for extra social distance, whilst a recording of You'll Never Walk Alone by Judy Garland is piped through a tannoy. They're making a mockery of their club, sporting competition and themselves.

It's over, it's done, null and void, the title is dead.
Beach balls are still a sore point for them lets not forget.

C'est Moi Cantona

I can’t see it coming back whilst there’s a risk of players getting it. No professional athlete wants to risk their career like that. Imagine a 20 year old catches it and gets lung damage which ruins his career.
If they want zero risk, then that means a vaccine or a full proof treatment, both those two could be far in future, or may never happen, so there won't be a career to protect for lots of them.

Unless they are happy to find other careers then at some point they are going to have to get on with things, some risks attached, but risks that will have way more levels of protection built in than the average person who is about to be asked to return to work will ever have.

Tel074

Around four weeks, I'd say. No football for the rest of the year is absurd.

The FAs in Spain, Italy and England are working intensely on coming up with a plan to restart their leagues. You could be forgiven for dismissing Germany's efforts in the beginning because they were the first, even though the league had been openly briefing everyone for a while. But to still to be claiming there will be no football for the foreseeable future is bordering on wilful ignorance at this point. And do not confuse the question of whether or not the league will continue with whether it is (morally) right to do so or not. This is what the discussion with regards to Germany seems to have shifted to now that everyone has realised the Bundesliga is indeed continuing next weekend.

4 weeks ? Germany have dealt with the virus way better than the UK or Italy that's why they can even think about football . The UK are around 4 weeks behind Italy and i can't see any football being played in Italy in the next 4 weeks .
So it could be at least 8 weeks before any football could even be possibly thought about in the UK.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Beach balls are still a sore point for them lets not forget.

The new stuff is great but hard to beat an old classic. Honestly though I don't know a Liverpool fan who doesn't think the beach ball incident is hilarious. It must be the whackiest goal in Prem history - imagine it had been in a game with the title or relegation at stake!

stevoc

So we should pause his development and make him sit out the rest of the season instead and piss off a promising player of ours?
How do you know it would piss him off?

Thats an assumption on your part, though we should extend his loan if the league does continue its the right thing to do.

But theres a lot at stake if CL places are still a factor so i could see us not extending his loan from a business point of view.

And that is a microcosm that shows how the integrity of the league season will be out the window if it gets resumed after June.

cyberman

The new stuff is great but hard to beat an old classic. Honestly though I don't know a Liverpool fan who doesn't think the beach ball incident is hilarious. It must be the whackiest goal in Prem history - imagine it had been in a game with the title or relegation at stake!
Is that allowed with VAR do we think?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Is that allowed with VAR do we think?
I'm not sure. Is there now a rule for foreign objects on the pitch contributing to a goal? There must not have been at that time anyway, or at least it wasn't applied.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
As far as I know, UEFA has actually extended all the contracts until the end of season automatically. Which means Henderson case is not in our hands anymore.

stevoc

At the time i knew a few who were livid. But yeah since then i haven't heard any not see the funny side of it.