Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

arnie_ni

I can't seem them awarding European places to teams so tightly packed together and not awarding the title to someone so far ahead. Ideally they don't want anything awarded without 38 games being played but a restart looks very difficult so they'll have to make some tough choices soon.
Again, they wouldnt be awarding European places based on an uncompleted league unless ordered to do so.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, completely agree.

What I would like to see happen is UEFA/FIFA come out and say there will be no international/European competitions which require teams to travel overseas until there's a vaccine/we're back to something resembling normality.

This would allow major leagues to work to their own timeline/specific internal complications. We all know Germany will be able to return to a normal football season before the UK. Having these leagues working to the same deadlines is overly optimistic/dangerous.

It would also allow the Premier League to be more flexible with the deadline they set for the current season/can avoid starting next season when further lockdown interruptions are likely. There would be contractual difficulties, but this scenario would allow the league/clubs to find bespoke solution and have greater flexibility.
This is exactly what I would like. UEFA's deadlines have really put pressure on leagues which doesn't have to be there. UEFA will look silly if they don't start their CL/EL qualifiers in late July after forcing leagues into deadlines. Player contracts are a big issue though. Whichever way you turn there is a huge obstacle ahead.

TheReligion

Abusive
:lol: It's the hope that kills guys. I've said it about four times already in the last few months.

Not long ago you were happy to mark the Liverpool thread Champions in November even if to jinx it. More likely you wanted to accept the fact to lessen the pain. And then here comes covid to open up that wound, and a salt shaker.

Words like "It's a huge possibility" and "It's certainly on the table" is not helping you lot. I have never seen any league win rubbed in rival's faces before as much as this one. Sweet Groundhog Day. :D
The irony of this when your own fans are doing the exact same in reverse.

:lol:

stevoc

Its not about our own interests. I want teams to be relegated and promoted. I've always said that they shouldn't punish teams that have had a good 19/20 season to reward teams that have had a bad 19/20 season. As I've said before Liverpool finishing 1st is easy to sort out as its a formality. Its not being crass or arrogant its just the reality of a team being 25 points clear with 9/10 games to play.
Who decides who has had a ‘bad’ season though?

Villa for example to get promoted and survive their first season back in the PL would have considered themselves to have had a good season.

They would be out of the relegation zone if they won their game in hand. Yet it’s looking like they might not even get the chance to have a say in their own destiny if the league is decided by other means like PPG.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Your totalling missing what everyone is saying here.

90 percent of us have no objection to liverpool being awarded (note not given, but yes awarded, because it was earned) the title, if a consistent decision is applied across all leaves solving the promotion and relegation issue.

You can't just give liverpool the title and decide feck the rest of it.
Then I'm missing nothing. You want everything in cosmic powers for Liverpool to not be handed/awarded the title. Nothing to do with what happens to other clubs, they're just leverage for your stance. Just as they're leverage for our stance. This is why we are rival fans. So you opt for hope (the real killer here). :D

I don't know the intracacies of how the PL/FA will award positions and finishes. But I know they will eventually. They are the bosses and will crack the whip when it's time.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This is exactly what I would like. UEFA's deadlines have really put pressure on leagues which doesn't have to be there. UEFA will look silly if they don't start their CL/EL qualifiers in late July after forcing leagues into deadlines. Player contracts are a big issue though. Whichever way you turn there is a huge obstacle ahead.
Add to that their hopes of completing European club competitions in August.

The contract issue would only crop up for players out of contract at the end of the season/loan spells.

loan spells could presumably be agreed to be extended relatively smoothly. The one that comes to mind is Henderson being on loan at Sheff Utd from us, but I think we'd be mad not to let him stay. If we have real desire to play him in the future, preventing from him completing this season with them would hardly endear him to committing his future to us in the long term.

Players whose contracts up could negotiate rolling monthly contracts/walk away from their clubs if they want. It would be a mad time to willingly become a free agent though, especially with no football being played.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can't seem them awarding European places to teams so tightly packed together and not awarding the title to someone so far ahead. Ideally they don't want anything awarded without 38 games being played but a restart looks very difficult so they'll have to make some tough choices soon.
They have to sort out the European places, either by ppg or final standings because again there is a monetary cost to not doing so. They can't afford that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Then I'm missing nothing. You want everything in cosmic powers for Liverpool to not be handed/awarded the title. Nothing to do with what happens to other clubs, they're just leverage for your stance. Just as they're leverage for our stance. This is why we are rival fans. So you opt for hope (the real killer here). :D

I don't know the intracacies of how the PL/FA will award positions and finishes. But I know they will eventually. They are the bosses and will crack the whip when it's time.
If it wasn't Liverpool at the top of the league, ahead by X number of points, would you think it fair to award that team the title? In turn, legitimising the matches they took part in this season, and then turning to the other 19 clubs and saying this season never happened?

You would literally be saying that every game they had taken part in only counted for them, and not their opposition.

I want a solution to the end of the season which acknowledges how teams have performed, but I don't want a rule for one and not the others.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Add to that their hopes of completing European club competitions in August.

The contract issue would only crop up for players out of contract at the end of the season/loan spells.

loan spells could presumably be agreed to be extended relatively smoothly. The one that comes to mind is Henderson being on loan at Sheff Utd from us, but I think we'd be mad not to let him stay. If we have real desire to play him in the future, preventing from him completing this season with them would hardly endear him to committing his future to us in the long term.

Players whose contracts up could negotiate rolling monthly contracts/walk away from their clubs if they want. It would be a mad time to willingly become a free agent though, especially with no football being played.
I think there is something in those contracts which enables or at least makes it easier for players to continue to play until July 31st but after this date its more difficult. There would also be the issue of a player like Zyiech who is a Chelsea player on July 1st I think - could he play in games in July? Probably an easier one to resolve by the FA delaying registration until the PL is concluded. One thing is for certain lawyers must be looking at the football world and licking their lips. Its hard to see any solution which doesn't involve litigation.

arnie_ni

Feck me.

I just said liverpool deserve the title.

Take your tinted glasses of

Ludens the Red

Has anybody asked the question how 3 players in the same team that were supposed to be self isolating have all caught the virus at the same time?
Haha good point. Sex party? Delivering birthday cake to sister? Going over to mates house?

I give it two weeks before UEFA change those deadlines again. Ultimately UEFA don’t control football. They’re still at mercy to the domestic leagues. European football next season is looking unlikely anyway. Many goalposts will have to be moved if football is to return.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There is no definitive evidence? Yes there is. It is literally right there. Medical professionals are literally telling us diabetes and hypertension makes a huge difference.

Bame are more susceptible to diabetes and hypertension, they also seek treatment for it less and are treated for it less. And genetics plays a small part, if the social-economic and dietary conditions aren’t ‘Met’ most of the time you’ll be fine. Which is why the idea that Jobie McAnuff ‘black footballer’ is more at risk than other footballers is not really true at all.
Because u know what he and his extended family eat and what their conditions are. I happen to know his mother who he takes care of is high risk. In that sense what he is saying is right. Secondly not all footballers play in the premier league. Some are in league 2 and are not earning very much at all

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Hilarious to see these Liverpool fans constructing these increasingly deranged and lethal ideas to get footballers "back to work". What's next for these delusional fools? 3 and in competitions in full hazmat , using a beach ball for extra social distance, whilst a recording of You'll Never Walk Alone by Judy Garland is piped through a tannoy. They're making a mockery of their club, sporting competition and themselves.

It's over, it's done, null and void, the title is dead.

Cassidy

What do you mean by genetic differences? I think a combination of things contribute to more minority deaths. Diet is a factor- for example I’m African and our staple foods contain a lot of oil and seasoning that has salt way above the recommended daily intake, plus we usually have them in big portions (same with Caribbean foods. I can’t speak for Asian foods as I’m not too familiar with them but I’ll bet it’s similar). Not only that but ethnic minorities more likely to live in areas where there are chicken and chip shops etc. on every corner, so I think all these things add to underlying health conditions. Also due to poverty more likely to be ‘go to’ meals.

On top of that, BAME especially black people are statistically more likely to be under-treated by health professionals or seen when it’s too late. I’m sure there are other things also to do with social and economic environments but these are just two examples that sprang to mind instantly.
My point we don’t know the reasons for a fact yet so no point acting like we do. In regards to covid-19. Key words in your post is you think

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think there is something in those contracts which enables or at least makes it easier for players to continue to play until July 31st but after this date its more difficult. There would also be the issue of a player like Zyiech who is a Chelsea player on July 1st I think - could he play in games in July? Probably an easier one to resolve by the FA delaying registration until the PL is concluded. One thing is for certain lawyers must be looking at the football world and licking their lips. Its hard to see any solution which doesn't involve litigation.
Oh without a doubt. This is going to be so messy legally, and clubs are going to be kicking up a huge fuss no matter what is decided. Pretty sure Plymouth Argyle are already readying their legal case against the EFL inevitably cancelling their season.

On the plus side, Sky could always get the TV rights for these court cases - sure fans will be willing to follow this more than a match between Norwich and Aston Villa with chance of relegation having been taken off the table :lol:

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I really can't understand this logic of how Liverpool deserves the title.

The only people who deserve the title are those who win the title.

Remember when this happened,

April 27, 2014. League-leaders Liverpool versus second-placed Chelsea at Anfield in their third-to-last game of the season.

The Reds were on a 16-game unbeaten streak in the Premier League and had won their previous 11, including a dramatic 3-2 victory over title rivals Man City. They were five points clear at the top.

Imagine had the season stopped before the slip, people would have said the same thing, Liverpool deserves the league.

As Gerrard's slip shows us, anything can happen, awarding Liverpool the league before they actually win the league is not just stupid, it's plain wrong.

Cassidy

We'd be complete idiots to extend it but watch us do it for "sportsmanship" reasons.
So we should pause his development and make him sit out the rest of the season instead and piss off a promising player of ours?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Has anybody asked the question how 3 players in the same team that were supposed to be self isolating have all caught the virus at the same time?

“We’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky Scousers!”

Christ, the paranoia is obscene among the Mickeys of late. Brighton doing their best to null and void the season now, eh? Everyone is out to get Liverpool Football Club, it appears.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I really can't understand this logic of how Liverpool deserves the title.

The only people who deserve the title are those who win the title.

Remember when this happened,

April 27, 2014. League-leaders Liverpool versus second-placed Chelsea at Anfield in their third-to-last game of the season.

The Reds were on a 16-game unbeaten streak in the Premier League and had won their previous 11, including a dramatic 3-2 victory over title rivals Man City. They were five points clear at the top.

Imagine had the season stopped before the slip, people would have said the same thing, Liverpool deserves the league.

As Gerrard's slip shows us, anything can happen, awarding Liverpool the league before they actually win the league is not just stupid, it's plain wrong.
This is actually a valid argument. Miracles and odd things happen all the time but often times We don't notice them and get carried away. People go on and on about wanting football back and/or wanting Liverpool being handed the trophy but it is not good for the sake of humanity and footbality.

Skills

Snitch
So we should pause his development and make him sit out the rest of the season instead and piss off a promising player of ours?
We'll need our players, if they're going to compress the season into a few weeks. So he'll get plenty of games then, as even keepers will struggle to play a game every 2 days.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In addition to Dresden being in quarantine, Germany's reproduction rate is back above 1 and theyve still got a week to go before the restart of Bundesliga. That date will be pushed back again at this rate. Talk of the PL restarting is pie in the sky stuff.
It got there two weeks ago and within a couple of days was back down to 0.7 or something like that, the German posters posted as much on here.

Best to see where it is in a couple of days.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

“We’d have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky Scousers!”

Christ, the paranoia is obscene among the Mickeys of late. Brighton doing their best to null and void the season now, eh? Everyone is out to get Liverpool Football Club, it appears.
Watch how every relegation threatened club starts to contract the virus :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah exactly and I'm not sure why the scouse can't accept this or even agree?

They just seem to care about their own interests which is very crass given the circumstances.
Every club is acting in their own interests as much as they want to deny it.

Ludens the Red

Because u know what he and his extended family eat and what their conditions are. I happen to know his mother who he takes care of is high risk
Why are you talking about his family? The title of the article is ‘Premier League should note extra risk to black players’. Hence me talking about and referencing black players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We'll need our players, if they're going to compress the season into a few weeks. So he'll get plenty of games then, as even keepers will struggle to play a game every 2 days.
What's happened to Romero, in Argentina?

I assume you'll let him stay at Sheffield. He's built up fantastic relations there so I imagine he'd be p***ed off if you recalled him from play week in week out just to sit him on the bench and weaken their bid for 4th....or 5th.

Long term might mean he's less likely to sign a new deal when De Gea is no longer good enough.

Anyway I was going to ask are Man. United even allowed to play at Old Trafford or will you have to play at another venue?

I really dislike that idea and seems England is only major league to propose playing at neutral grounds. If it isn't judged safe enough for my team to play at BCD and cordoned off Villa Park then it shouldn't be coming back anytime soon as at least you get a tiny bit of normality as they're doing in the Bundesliga.

You could still have car parks open for testing given hardly any parking spaces would be required bar teams and officials and a few matchday ground staff.

Cassidy

Why are you talking about his family? The title of the article is ‘Premier League should note extra risk to black players’. Hence me talking about and referencing black players.
If said players go home to their family then you risk their family obviously.

Sara125

My point we don’t know the reasons for a fact yet so no point acting like we do. In regards to covid-19. Key words in your post is you think
Even though I said it’s what I think, they are still the most likely causes as they can be backed up with stats and evidence that has been seen not just with this virus but other diseases and medical conditions, and not just in the UK either. What reasons could there be other than to do with socio economic factors? Unless you are saying the virus itself is racist :houllier:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Because They don't fecking live alone and the virus spread from human to human in most cases, that's why the league needs to help slow down the infection. Self isolation doesn't mean you live alone in a forest, meditating and eating raw mushrooms.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I smell a conspiracy here. Maybe he thinks Brighton players have actively gone out on purpose to get the virus to stop Liverpool winning the league :lol:
I must admit, my first reaction when the news of their players having it came out was "hmmm convenient", but then I am a cynical type.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
:lol: feck me are these Liverpool fans now seriously insinuating that a grand conspiracy is at play, where footballers are deliberately contracting Covid-19 to prevent them "their" "title".

Skills

Snitch
What's happened to Romero, in Argentina?

I assume you'll let him stay at Sheffield. He's built up fantastic relations there so I imagine he'd be p***ed off if you recalled him from play week in week out just to sit him on the bench and weaken their bid for 4th....or 5th.

Long term might mean he's less likely to sign a new deal when De Gea is no longer good enough.
Not sure, but Henderson will probably be given the nod ahead of him.

He'll still be playing week-in week-out? I don't get it, it's not as if we're going to finish the season over 9 weeks? It'll be compressed into 3-4 weeks, and he'll still get a game every week.