Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

arnie_ni

Yeah exactly and I'm not sure why the scouse can't accept this or even agree?

They just seem to care about their own interests which is very crass given the circumstances.
Im all for a open honest discussion on it, but saying liverpool should be champs and no relegation is not that

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thats not what he said.

He said European qualification should be sporting merit.

"European football's governing body wants clubs to qualify for European competitions through "sporting merit"."

https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...rpret-sporting-merit-if-seasons-do-not-finish
To me they shouldn't even be thinking about European football for this season or next. Teams traveling all over Europe can't be a good thing. People moving around from country to country is one of the ways it spread in the first place.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I love where you get that 0.01% chances of the virus doing any harm if you're young.

So if we're 18-35 we're practically immune from corona? Now why didn't we think of that?
I never said that. Please read more carefully. I was talking (and yes, pulling out of my backside) the odds of one of the top players in the squad catching the virus because of playing football (which should be fairly small, if proper precautions are taken) multiplied by the chance that an under 30 year old person in top physical shape gets severe complications (which should be even smaller).

arnie_ni

I agree relegation is the important issue or at least the most difficult but us getting the title doesn’t affect it.
Yes it does! Can you not see how awarding liverpool the title and leeds not getting it and promtoion is hypocrisy?

arnie_ni

To me they shouldn't even be thinking about European football for this season or next. Teams traveling all over Europe can't be a good thing. People moving around from country to country is one of the ways it spread in the first place.
I also agree with that, cant see Europe happening. But thats the only reason holland ended their league the way they did, because uefa ordered them to pikc European places on sporting merit.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Im all for a open honest discussion on it, but saying liverpool should be champs and no relegation is not that
That’s not what I said though. I would much prefer there to be relegation but I’m saying it’s possible and even quite likely for them to have a title winner and no relegation (a 22 or 23 team prem next season would be a compromise most stakeholders would accept).

TheReligion

Abusive
That’s not what I said though. I would much prefer there to be relegation but I’m saying it’s possible and even quite likely for them to have a title winner and no relegation (a 22 or 23 team prem next season would be a compromise most stakeholders would accept).
Why is it quite likely? Because you want it to be?

You've made up the reasons that the Dutch FA finished their league as they did and you've also misquoted UEFA to try and fit what you want.

I get you're desperate but come on.

Slysi17

But your opinion doesnt matter if your not a healthcare official
Well I believe scientists too. And yes scientists have said there is a very slight chance I could get seriously ill even though I am only 29. But what i don't believe is when people spout stuff that scientists haven't said and act like they are an expert. That is what annoys me.

arnie_ni

They might fudge relegation but not the title. The situations at the top of the table between Holland and England could hardly be more different. Can’t believe people still think this is possible.
Liverpool champs, no relegation.

Its exactly what you said

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Why is it quite likely? Because you want it to be?

You've made up the reasons that the Dutch FA finished their league as they did and you've also misquoted UEFA to try and fit what you want.

I get you're desperate but come on.
The PL have agreements with the EFL and FA about promotion and relegation. If the season can’t be concluded especially considering Villas situation with a game in hand I think a compromise is highly likely. What do you expect to happen considering voiding isn’t an option.

arnie_ni

Well I believe scientists too. And yes scientists have said there is a very slight chance I could get seriously ill even though I am only 29. But what i don't believe is when people spout stuff that scientists haven't said and act like they are an expert. That is what annoys me.
He quoted NHS quidance, i didnt read it, but are they not a valuable resource.

For what its worth i think the chances of a player being adversely effected by it is minimal.

My biggest concern is them getting it and passing it on to some it will effect greatly, and the image it will portray to the public, 22 men running around a pitch playing a contact sport when the government is telling everyone else to be vigilant.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yep. I've noticed some people are actually way too eager to get bad news about this corona situation pertaining to anything football related so they can feel vindictive and type I told you so. It's quite disturbing honestly.

Any slight bump into any football restarting projects will be met with those same type of posters licking their lips at the prospect of filling pages with complaints and moaning about this entire situation and those approving of football to get started at some point.
Think you're massively overstating here.

Any real football fan wants the game to return at the highest level as soon as possible, but this should only be done when it is safe to do so/the integrity of competitions that have already been running under a specific set of rules aren't overly compromised. There will, of course, need to be some compromises, but there also has to be a line drawn.

I think that an entire football club having to isolate for 2 weeks before the game has even returned is a red flag. It doesn't really matter who the club is/where they are in their league, it could easily happen to any team. If it is happening before matches have even resumed, it's probably safe to assume similar cases will carry on cropping up.

arnie_ni

The PL have agreements with the EFL and FA about promotion and relegation. If the season can’t be concluded especially considering Villas situation with a game in hand I think a compromise is highly likely. What do you expect to happen considering voiding isn’t an option.
What Holland done is honestly what i think will happen which isnt the fairest of outcomes.

But i just dont see how they solve the relegation/promotion arguement across all divisions

TheReligion

Abusive
We are going around in circles. You're passing off what you want to happen as fact which is dangerous and how misinformation spreads. Without being rude but you've already been factually proved incorrect twice in as many minutes but you keep banging your own narrative which suits your club as if it's the universally agreed way things have been decided.

Again I get you're probably quite worried at the moment (I would be in your clubs situation) but let's not make things up.

The league could very well be suspended/postponed and how the finish is then decided no one knows.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Given the number of players who had cardiac arrests over the years, the safest thing would be to ban professional football altogether.
What a stupid comment.
This is something totally different.

Member 101269

In other words; lets predict that Liverpool will be champions and everyone else can do one. Yep, i see the integrity

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Voiding is the only option.

arnie_ni

Really? That’s not what you quoted. We’re dealing in what we think they might do not what I think they must or should do - big difference.
That post is the exact one that started this converstion, religion replied to it and you replied about karius and the balon dor.

Stop back tracking.

Just own your stance. You want liverpool champions and dont care how it happens.

Thats fair enough, youve waited long enough.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
What Holland done is honestly what i think will happen which isnt the fairest of outcomes.

But i just dont see how they solve the relegation/promotion arguement across all divisions
I agree there is no fair outcome that everyone will be happy about. Relegation and promotion especially from and to the prem are the big money decisions which together with TV money are driving project restart but I can’t see it happening. The country is not managing c19 well enough yet.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Well the Brighton player had better play anyway or they will be relegated.

Where's the irony in mentioning a title hasn't been won properly if it hasn't?
Because the same people that are saying its not safe to resume playing are also saying in the event of being unable to resume that Liverpool haven't won the title properly. You can't have it both ways! If the table stops after 29 games then Liverpool can't be caught.

And what about if it's decided to finish the season with no Champions or relegation like in Holland?
Its already been discussed on here that The Premier League can't just stop relegation and promotion without the consent of the football league.
Why wouldn't you declare a champion in a league where a team are further ahead of the 2nd place team than any other league in Europe?

You cant do one an not the other.

Itl never fly with leeds etc all the way down the chain if liverpool are crowned champions and they aren't and therefore not promoted.

For some reason you fail to see that.

If liverpool are champions, they must do promotion and relegation.

Your option is the worst of the lot.
As mentioned this won't happen. Also what do you do if they play one round of games behind closed doors Liverpool win, City lose. then have to stop playing.
So Liverpool are now completely unable to be caught even over 38 games but nothing else is decided?

arnie_ni

Because the same people that are saying its not safe to resume playing are also saying in the event of being unable to resume that Liverpool haven't won the title properly. You can't have it both ways! If the table stops after 29 games then Liverpool can't be caught.

Its already been discussed on here that The Premier League can't just stop relegation and promotion without the consent of the football league.
Why wouldn't you declare a champion in a league where a team are further ahead of the 2nd place team than any other league in Europe?

As mentioned this won't happen. Also what do you do if they play one round of games behind closed doors Liverpool win, City lose. then have to stop playing.
So Liverpool are now completely unable to be caught even over 38 games but nothing else is decided?
Your liverpool buddy just said liverpool champions no relegation. Take it up with him mate

Slysi17

For what its worth i think the chances of a player being adversely effected by it is minimal.

My biggest concern is them getting it and passing it on to some it will effect greatly, and the image it will portray to the public, 22 men running around a pitch playing a contact sport when the government is telling everyone else to be vigilant.

I don't believe in the premier league restarting now obviously when the UK is in lockdown. I live in New Zealand by the way and that NHS document is basically what to do while in lockdown. It's similar guidelines to here. Basically in NZ we were in total lockdown for 5 weeks. Businesses closed and only essential businesses could operate. Plus you couldn't see friends or family and could only go to the supermarkets or for a walk by yourself or with people you lived with. We might be loosening restrictions and and restuarents and businesses will be open. Also professional sport including rugby can resume which is even worse than football for spreading the virus. Football should restart when the lockdown eases and places start to open up again like restaurants and bars etc and people go to work. That is when football should resume if it is safe to do so.

Last edited:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
That post is the exact one that started this converstion, religion replied to it and you replied about karius and the balon dor.

Stop back tracking.

Just own your stance. You want liverpool champions and dont care how it happens.

Thats fair enough, youve waited long enough.
Again I was talking about what I think will happen. I’ll say it again - I want relegation to happen if possible but think it might be difficult if the league doesn’t restart.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
You won't have won the title properly though, you'll have been gifted it. There's no irony in that. It's not that difficult really.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You and Megaman have been churning out the same arguments (if we can call them that!) and always with the ''quite likely'' Title winner and no relegation just because you just want one thing and nothing else - Liverpool being gifted the League at all costs.

We'll see how fair it is to have teams like Brighton playing with the problems they currently have.

Null and Void.

In addition to Dresden being in quarantine, Germany's reproduction rate is back above 1 and theyve still got a week to go before the restart of Bundesliga. That date will be pushed back again at this rate. Talk of the PL restarting is pie in the sky stuff.

stevoc

Please provide evidence of players that have caught COVID having ruined careers due to reduced lung capacity? The scaremongering that has been going on for the past few months is pathetic!

There are very few cases of people in the age range 18-35 getting seriously ill from COVID In the general population and to state otherwise is wholly irresponsible.

I’m a healthcare professional btw
To be fair to do that he would have to travel into the future and bring the evidence back.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
You and Megaman have been churning out the same arguments (if we can call them that!) and always with the ''quite likely'' Title winner and no relegation just because you just want one thing and nothing else - Liverpool being gifted the League at all costs.

We'll see how fair it is to have teams like Brighton playing with the problems they currently have.

Null and Void.
The PL will not be voided.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not sure what you're saying really.

How far ahead is irrelevant and the league might decide to do that if they decide to stop relegation and promotion with the consent of the football league.

arnie_ni

Null and Void.
Null and void wont happen either for what its worth

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah exactly and I'm not sure why the scouse can't accept this or even agree?

They just seem to care about their own interests which is very crass given the circumstances.
Its not about our own interests. I want teams to be relegated and promoted. I've always said that they shouldn't punish teams that have had a good 19/20 season to reward teams that have had a bad 19/20 season. As I've said before Liverpool finishing 1st is easy to sort out as its a formality. Its not being crass or arrogant its just the reality of a team being 25 points clear with 9/10 games to play.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I agree relegation is the important issue or at least the most difficult but us getting the title doesn’t affect it.
Problem is consistency, and the trickle down probable legal effect this would then have on teams looking to come up from the Championship.

By applying final league standings to you/Liverpool being legitimately recognised champions, and in turn ruling out relegation, where does this leave clubs going for European places? Which bracket of legitimacy/voiding to they fall into?

And it isn't just champions/relegation that are the issues, every single final placing in a table has it's implications - financially and in terms of European qualification.

Do you then go through the league picking out which team deserves to have their performances this season legitimised? How do you implement a system that does this fairly?

I think all would agree that Liverpool would win the league. But then you would have far more people agreeing that Norwich would be relegated than Aston Villa/Bournemouth. Is it fair that Norwich survive because those 2 clubs are so close on points?

It's a fecking horrible scenario no matter how you look at it, and with clubs seemingly having to agree on the final outcome, I don't see how we reach any conclusion any time soon.

This is all assuming that the league isn't able to play out remaining games. And it's because of the above that I can totally understand why they want to find a way of playing remaining games.

arnie_ni

Its not about our own interests. I want teams to be relegated and promoted. I've always said that they shouldn't punish teams that have had a good 19/20 season to reward teams that have had a bad 19/20 season. As I've said before Liverpool finishing 1st is easy to sort out as its a formality. Its not being crass or arrogant its just the reality of a team being 25 points clear with 9/10 games to play.
But thats irrelevant if you cant sort out promotion and relegation.

The decision will be decided on that.