Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, dunno what Mcanuff is on about to be honest. The virus isn’t racist, it’s not attacking black and Asians because of their skin colour. It’s that black and Asians are more likely to have those underlying health issues the virus is lethal in. Issues you won’t have as a black or Asian millionaire footballer because you’ll be eating well and living in a stable environment.
I heard it's something to do with the fact BAME are more prone to Vitamin D deficiency.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-bame-medic-deaths

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It's like a fecking police state being promoted on bbc news 24 right now. How to track not just your location, but your biometrics and how close you are to someone else.

feck off. I'd rather die.
Unless you’re on the Interpol top 1000 or world richest 10,000, or a serving politician etc, I doubt anyone really cares about your personal details.

The level of narcissism involved in majority of people’s privacy issues is alarming and funny at the same time.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I heard it's something to do with the fact BAME are more prone to Vitamin D deficiency.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/role-of-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-bame-medic-deaths
I've spent some time researching this for work and it's really quite complicated. It's a combination of race amplifying poverty stresses, Afro-Caribbean obesity, South Asian susceptibility to type 2 diabetes at lower BMIs, increased BAME presence in NHS, and likelihood of South Asians to live in mixed generation households. I'm really not sure Vitamin D is a factor.

Ludens the Red

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Talksport saying leagues one and two will be cancelled.
Wonder what’ll happen to the clubs in those leagues. If (and that’s a big if) a new season can start as normal in August, it’ll probably be behind closed doors so no match day revenue will be received.

Could end up with a few clubs going under.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
Would you hand on heart have the same view if you were in the relegation zone?
And would 95% of utd fans calling for the league to be null and void have the same view if it was they that were top of the league and 25 points clear? Absolutely not! And those that suggest others are merely deceiving themselves. I genuinely take what they say with a pinch of salt because they aren't being honest no matter how they try and dress it up with their posts by using health as an excuse to end the season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's like a fecking police state being promoted on bbc news 24 right now. How to track not just your location, but your biometrics and how close you are to someone else.

feck off. I'd rather die.
You dont need tracking. Soon we all be lining to get welfare and will fill the form willingly for a few more bucks, forget where you live. We'd tell them about our bank account if that's what it takes to get our money

Blackwidow

The local health authority decided to put the team into quarantine. Nothing the club can do about it. Presumably they did it because by the time the third test was taken, the squad was back training as one group. At the time of the second test (which came back negative for everyone) a few days earlier, they were still split into smaller training groups.
That is probably the reason. And it is nothing that comes really surprising. Better now than in some weeks. The schedule still has some buffering. But it rises the awareness of the players and the staff of other clubs, too. They have to take care in their own environment and life that they live as low risk as possible.

Member 101269

Thats why they will need to get those in place going forward and for this season I expect they will end up voting on various options.
Weaponising the future to get what you want in the past; then you wonder why clubs will say no.

You dont need tracking. Soon we all be lining to get welfare and will fill the form willingly for a few more bucks, forget where you live. We'd tell them about our bank account if that's what it takes to get our money

we've all learnt that the economy doesn't need work. what's next a national wage? £2500 per month? keep printing as the ship sinks

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The local health authority decided to put the team into quarantine. Nothing the club can do about it. Presumably they did it because by the time the third test was taken, the squad was back training as one group. At the time of the second test (which came back negative for everyone) a few days earlier, they were still split into smaller training groups.
Let’s hope this is just an isolated incident and the local health authorities don’t interfere with football again.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Wonder what’ll happen to the clubs in those leagues. If (and that’s a big if) a new season can start as normal in August, it’ll probably be behind closed doors so no match day revenue will be received.

Could end up with a few clubs going under.
Id say more than a few unless costs can be reduced and grants given

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What people who "wants football resumed" also fails to consider is that their beloved players can catch corona, and it could potentially ruin their career, having a reduced lung capacity means that's it for professional athlete.

From the clubs point of view they're risking 500M worth of assets, and if one caught the virus and spreads it all it'll be a catastrophic financial lost.

Imagine if pogba gets sick and put into ventilator (slim chance, he's fit as a bull), if god forbid it happens it'll probably took more than a while for him to get back to top condition, if it's even possible with a reduced lung capacity.

Do we actually want to take that risk?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Coronavirus:
Bundesliga 2 side Dynamo Dresden players test positive, return delayed
Dresden were due to play Hannover away on May 17;
entire squad, coaching and supervisory staff must go into 14 days of quarantine at home

Pagh Wraith

Kinda expected, People are gonna be wetting themselves over it. A fair few on here want your (Germany) experiment to fail. Better brace yourself and start putting up your defences.
To be fair, it is pretty significant news. But the league has already come out and said it won't affect the restart.

90 + 5min

To be fair, it is pretty significant news. But the league has already come out and said it won't affect the restart.
Sure it will affect no matter what leagues say. Dresden can’t play at least two first games. What league is doing is natural. Protecting their decision no matter what. It would be suicidal to say ”oh we were wrong to start this”. I’m afraid that there is a risk that it will be some fact fixing in future because you can’t have this thing coming out whole time. ”Injuried” players should be closly watched and there should be some independent doctors watching tests.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Anyone going to pay for BT Sport to watch Bundesliga? I’m tempted - FC Köln are my team - but I can’t really justify the cost.

Thiagoal

What people who "wants football resumed" also fails to consider is that their beloved players can catch corona, and it could potentially ruin their career, having a reduced lung capacity means that's it for professional athlete.

From the clubs point of view they're risking 500M worth of assets, and if one caught the virus and spreads it all it'll be a catastrophic financial lost.

Imagine if pogba gets sick and put into ventilator (slim chance, he's fit as a bull), if god forbid it happens it'll probably took more than a while for him to get back to top condition, if it's even possible with a reduced lung capacity.

Please provide evidence of players that have caught COVID having ruined careers due to reduced lung capacity? The scaremongering that has been going on for the past few months is pathetic!

There are very few cases of people in the age range 18-35 getting seriously ill from COVID In the general population and to state otherwise is wholly irresponsible.

I’m a healthcare professional btw

Red00012

Anyone going to pay for BT Sport to watch Bundesliga? I’m tempted - FC Köln are my team - but I can’t really justify the cost.
You’re better off using a river . There’s no guarantee the season will be be finished in Germany .

Sparky Rhiwabon

It’s so irresponsible of the Premier League to be even talking of a restart right now, way too soon. Although I don’t think it’s fair in a sporting sense, I’m actually coming round to the idea of just giving Liverpool the title (with a big asterisk) now and then I’m pretty sure all the pressure to restart so soon would fall away and we can start having a sensible conversation about a future restart.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Unless you’re on the Interpol top 1000 or world richest 10,000, or a serving politician etc, I doubt anyone really cares about your personal details.

The level of narcissism involved in majority of people’s privacy issues is alarming and funny at the same time.
What has it to do with narcissism? Is there no other reason? Why not ask them, rather then accuse people of narcissism..This is the problem with lots of people. People are so used not to having conversations that actually matter, they come to conclusions that are not true (and yes, i'm aware that's a presumption). Your opinion, isn't fact. If people cannot see the truth in how they respond then that's something people need to address. There are lots of issues here. One is walking roughshod over peoples 'rights'.

On topic, they should cancel the season. We're now in May. People talking about is it fair? Yes we can say it's not fair but what do you weigh it against? Is being unfair heavier then the risk? Human life comes before entertainment. The people who panic are the money men and well they should but maybe in the long run, wages/prices were unhealthy and supporters but we have something to look forward to. There is no perfect solution, but human life is priority and maybe we learn to respect borders to avoid this happening in the future. Something will always offend someone but this topic could last until the end of time. The media are promoting another 'outbreak' so you could never really shake it off. They want their vaccines. So from a football perspective, this is an impossible situation

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah, dunno what Mcanuff is on about to be honest. The virus isn’t racist, it’s not attacking black and Asians because of their skin colour. It’s that black and Asians are more likely to have those underlying health issues the virus is lethal in. Issues you won’t have as a black or Asian millionaire footballer because you’ll be eating well and living in a stable environment.
Again do you know that for a fact. Genetically we are different its not all social or economic. Diets are also different whether you have money or not.
Fact is there is no definitive evidence as to why those groups are dying more so stop making it up.

Hes not calling the virus racist. He is simply pointing out he and other minorities and their families may be at a higher risk

villain

Hates Beyoncé
They’re still kicking the can down the road because they want to keep up appearances.

European football isn’t happening next season, especially considering qualifiers begin in about 6 weeks.

The only real ramifications revolve around money, which to an extent I understand - but surely there’s a way to resolve that?
If TV money has already been paid & clubs can’t return it, give them the chance to sell assets over the summer transfer window to make up any deficits. If they still fail to do so, deduct a % from their payout for next season.

BT & Sky aren’t going bankrupt in the next 6 months, I’m sure they can take on that risk.

Next season is likely to be curtailed at some point - so if they get rid of the 3pm rule, and negotiate a temporary deal that allows sky & BT to have rights for more games (all games?) next season. Possibly paid out on a per-game basis, or negotiated to be paid based on amount of games played every half season.

These are extreme ideas that haven’t been thought out of course - but ultimately the penny needs to drop when it comes to this disease.
Things aren’t just going to return to ‘normal’ - there will be a difference in life pre-corona and post-corona. Sports isn’t exempt - long term changes will be made to alter how accustomed we’ve been to life up to now.

I think cup competitions are the most likely to remain in the short term - one off games that can be spread 2/3 weeks apart is actually the best format to maintain some sporting schedule.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Please provide evidence of players that have caught COVID having ruined careers due to reduced lung capacity? The scaremongering that has been going on for the past few months is pathetic!

There are very few cases of people in the age range 18-35 getting seriously ill from COVID In the general population and to state otherwise is wholly irresponsible.

I’m a healthcare professional btw
Wow, just wow, you're a professional healthcare and you think this is scaremongering?

Then 18-35 should just resume lives? and not stay at home? Because hey.. it doesnt kill, it doesnt even harm them, you can get covid, stay at home for 14 days and resume your lives? Why don't we all just get one and take a 2 weeks vacation, and let's resume our lives.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t-home-protect-the-nhs-save-lives-web-version

This is what NHS says btw

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...oronavirus/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-lungs

Like other respiratory illnesses, COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, can cause lasting lung damage. As we continue to learn about COVID-19, we’re understanding more regarding how it affects the lungs while people are sick and after recovery.
Is COVID-19 lung damage reversible?
After a serious case of COVID-19, a patient’s lungs can recover, but not overnight. “Recovery from lung damage takes time,” Galiatsatos says. “There’s the initial injury to the lungs, followed by scarring. Over time, the tissue heals, but it can take three months to a year or more for a person’s lung function to return to pre-COVID-19 levels.”

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Crazy
That should be the end of that regarding this season. It simply is not fair to carry on a season with the same ramifications i.e relegation when squads can be depleted and rules change.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on

Given the number of players who had cardiac arrests over the years, the safest thing would be to ban professional football altogether.

Runaway Sue

Wow, just wow, you're a professional healthcare and you think this is scaremongering?

Then 18-35 should just resume lives? and not stay at home? Because hey.. it doesnt kill, it doesnt even harm them, you can get covid, stay at home for 14 days and resume your lives? Why don't we all just get one and take a 2 weeks vacation, and let's resume our lives.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t-home-protect-the-nhs-save-lives-web-version

This is what NHS says btw
Ehh, yes? Me, my little brother and his girlfriend are all under 35 and we've all had it (since we work in health care we have been tested). I hardly felt anything, my brothers girlfriend was down for about a week, my brother had it worst and was down for about 2 weeks, he lost the sense of smell and taste but we are all back to work. In a district close to ours they had multiple people tested positiv in our age group, most of them had little to no symptomes (some didnt even know they had it).

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Kinda expected, People are gonna be wetting themselves over it. A fair few on here want your (Germany) experiment to fail. Better brace yourself and start putting up your defences.
Yep. I've noticed some people are actually way too eager to get bad news about this corona situation pertaining to anything football related so they can feel vindictive and type I told you so. It's quite disturbing honestly.

Any slight bump into any football restarting projects will be met with those same type of posters licking their lips at the prospect of filling pages with complaints and moaning about this entire situation and those approving of football to get started at some point.

Tibs

Yet the Scousers want to plough ahead with resuming football ‘by hook or by crook’.

Have absolutely no shame, that lot.
Although we already know that, we must put similar blame on the PL, and other clubs for just chasing the money. 19 clubs could tell Liverpool and the FA to feck off, but aren't

Tel074

Yep. I've noticed some people are actually way too eager to get bad news about this corona situation pertaining to anything football related so they can feel vindictive and type I told you so. It's quite disturbing honestly.

Any slight bump into any football restarting projects will be met with those same type of posters licking their lips at the prospect of filling pages with complaints and moaning about this entire situation and those approving of football to get started at some point.

I'm not sure it's people who are eager to moan about football returning it's just some people see that football is a game and really isnt important right now . Also some people feel it's not worth risking one single life just so the money machine that is football can return .

We all want football back some just have different opinions on time frames than others