Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Pep's Suit

I'm all for players having the option to refuse to play. No one should be forced to put their health or, more pertinently, that of their loved ones, in danger. But if they continue to do so after the rest of us have had to go back to work then they should be furloughed and put on £2500 a month. And be grateful, since by then plenty of the rest of us won't even have that option - it'll be work or lose your job/pay.
Agreed. Clubs have one product: football. If the government says it's ok to play and players refuse then they shouldn't be paid full wages.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm guessing if the Government declare it safe for them to return to work, they won't have much say in the matter.

I'm not saying I agree with them rushing the PL back for 'boosting morale' BTW, because I don't agree with it.
But surely at least consult them for ideas etc

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Another solution to this dilemma is having the players perform in hazmat suits over their kits.

Rashford would be unstoppable in that :drool:

Sylar

I'm all for players having the option to refuse to play. No one should be forced to put their health or, more pertinently, that of their loved ones, in danger. But if they continue to do so after the rest of us have had to go back to work then they should be furloughed and put on £2500 a month. And be grateful, since by then plenty of the rest of us won't even have that option - it'll be work or lose your job/pay.
Wouldnt that be worse for the country though? I mean the amount the players would be taxed would be reduced, and the amount going back to the country thus reduced (tax money going to NHS and other stuff).
The only ones who benefit from this are the greedy owners.

Or am I missing something?

TheReligion

Abusive
Clubs won't go against their players wishes.

TheReligion

Abusive
I can’t believe that the players haven’t had their say yet. What happens if half of them don’t want to play? They need to take their feedback and suggestions from them onboard before making a major decision
Very odd. Especially when you have a number of PL players already speaking out against the idea. Aguero, Rose, Murray etc

Brightonian

Clubs won't go against their players wishes.
I'm not really making a practical suggestion. I just find it slightly obscene that footballers will be paid their absurd wages to do nothing while normal people will be forced to go back to work and face a far higher risk of infection than a footballer would, or else earn nothing.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Its just going to add to the narrative of out of touch millionaire football players refusing to go back to work when the rest of the country does.

It would be interesting to see how many players were prepared to drop their wages down to £2000 a month over going to work.

Pep's Suit

Its just going to add to the narrative of out of touch millionaire football players refusing to go back to work when the rest of the country does.

It would be interesting to see how many players were prepared to drop their wages down to £2000 a month over going to work.
Probably none but if they simply claim to feel unwell or sick or whatever then they won't play and clubs will have to pay them anyway. Like I said before: clubs need more power over players because right now it's the opposite.

Ludens the Red

Wouldnt that be worse for the country though? I mean the amount the players would be taxed would be reduced, and the amount going back to the country thus reduced (tax money going to NHS and other stuff).
The only ones who benefit from this are the greedy owners.

Or am I missing something?
First part is a fair point but then it’s slightly negated by the second one. Whilst there are rich owners in the PL. The rich owners in the PL acquired their wealth outside of football. In general owning a football club isn’t actually that profitable due to the vast sums paid to players and the money spent on transfers.

A lot of clubs would run out of money if they went a season or two without tv money etc. and then wouldn’t be able to pay their players anyway. Obviously though you’ve got the likes of city, Chelsea who have owners with astronomical wealth made outside of football but they’re actually few and far between.

arnie_ni

Its not the same at all. Im not sitting touch tight to my co worker at the office dripping in sweat.

Its incomparable

Tibs

What's all this rubbish about players going on furlough or dropping wages to £2k a month :lol

Haven't the United players all dropped by 30% and that money going to charity? Even if they went a year without pay, it makes no difference to them. Worst case scenario they have to sell a house or two. They're not key workers, and are financially successful enough to the PL/FA to feck off.

On a side note, I just downloaded that photo of the Liverpool fan crying, ready to post for whenever season is cancelled, or they're GIVEN the title

romufc

Probably none but if they simply claim to feel unwell or sick or whatever then they won't play and clubs will have to pay them anyway. Like I said before: clubs need more power over players because right now it's the opposite.
Players have all the power, that is exactly the reason we have not seen clubs cutting their wages.

If you think about it, players should really be furloughed, there is no way the can work and it would save alot of money for clubs.

Sylar

First part is a fair point but then it’s slightly negated by the second one. Whilst there are rich owners in the PL. The rich owners in the PL acquired their wealth outside of football. In general owning a football club isn’t actually that profitable due to the vast sums paid to players and the money spent on transfers.

A lot of clubs would run out of money if they went a season or two without tv money etc. and then wouldn’t be able to pay their players anyway. Obviously though you’ve got the likes of city, Chelsea who have owners with astronomical wealth made outside of football but they’re actually few and far between.
but is what I wrote incorrect? They are the only ones who benefit from players taking a paycut.
I think 'run out of money' is a bit of hyperbole no?

Would be interesting to see how many investors have actually increased their wealth vs made a loss. The loss for me seems to be the 'sugardaddies' as opposed to many other owners who have tried to make as much profit as possible before this pandemic.

Would also be interesting to see what contracts would state on circumstances like this. A player being told 'play in these conditions or take a pay cut to 2k' could see a lot of issues come from this, but thats a different point. (and its not going to happen like the initial person I quoted, stated)

romufc

I don't think you understand how the furlough payments actually work...
Yes you are the only one who knows this, apologise.

Rashford who cannot play football, cannot go to the training ground at United earning 200k a week.
The club furloughs him and the club saves 200k a week.

Rashford gets £2k a month until he can return.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don't think you understand how the furlough payments actually work...
I think he does he’s just insanely unrealistic to think players on £200k a week are going to accept £2.5k a month.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Champions League next season should be a World Cup style month long tournament that is played after all the domestic games.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
I think he does he’s just insanely unrealistic to think players on £200k a week are going to accept £2.5k a month.
I also suspect that most players aren't actually employees, more like self-employed contractors who then contract to a club. If so, that alone makes trying to furlough them an interesting idea, they are a supplier with a very different contract to an employee...

romufc

That is a different subject, Ofcourse I know no player will accept this hence why I started off saying players have all the power.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Champions League next season should be a World Cup style month long tournament that is played after all the domestic games.
But for national teams and call it Euro 2021

romufc

Don’t massively disagree with the idea to be honest.
The only reason they are protected is because they are footballers, any other industry, employees are on furlough no matter the wage.

If we are not playing football, the players are not entertaining crowds so the club is not making any money, yet they are still having to pay millions in salary.

We have seen clubs around Europe force players to take salary caps, Juve players have taken cuts of 30% and these have been differed to be paid over the next 2 years or so.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I also suspect that most players aren't actually employees, more like self-employed contractors who then contract to a club. If so, that alone makes trying to furlough them an interesting idea, they are a supplier with a very different contract to an employee...
Nope.

Probably more than you would think. The money they make gives them the freedom to say feck it and sacrifice their salary for a few months if they fear for their health.

Ludens the Red

but is what I wrote incorrect? They are the only ones who benefit from players taking a paycut.
I think 'run out of money' is a bit of hyperbole no?

Would be interesting to see how many investors have actually increased their wealth vs made a loss. The loss for me seems to be the 'sugardaddies' as opposed to many other owners who have tried to make as much profit as possible before this pandemic.

Would also be interesting to see what contracts would state on circumstances like this. A player being told 'play in these conditions or take a pay cut to 2k' could see a lot of issues come from this, but thats a different point. (and its not going to happen like the initial person I quoted, stated)
No, you’re correct. The benefit would be to club owners... initially. But for arguments sake if footballers don’t want to play until 100% risk free and safe, football will need to be suspended indefinitely and if footballers remain on full pay ultimately the club will suffer and then so will fans.

It’s not a hyperbole at all, look at PL clubs wages and revenue. The margins are so thin. PL chairmen tend to make more money from their other businesses. If they went two seasons with no TV/prize money, their pool of money generated from football would run out and they’d then have to start funding the club via their other more profitable businesses. Sugar daddies obviously don’t have this problem. Nor the Glazers but the Glazers are Manchester United owners. We’re on another planet to most clubs . But the simple fact is most clubs aren’t run by sugar daddies and most clubs aren’t Manchester United or Arsenal.
When you start going into the lower leagues. Clubs and chairmen have got no chance. Simon Jordan’s story is a great example of what owning a club can be like if you’ve not bottomless funds or PL tv money to survive on.

No, you’re correct. The benefit would be to club owners... initially. But for arguments sake if footballers don’t want to play until 100% risk free and safe, football will need to be suspended indefinitely and if footballers remain on full pay ultimately the club will suffer and then so will fans.

It’s not a hyperbole at all, look at PL clubs wages and revenue. The margins are so thin. PL chairmen tend to make more money from their other businesses. If they went two seasons with no TV/prize money, their pool of money generated from football would run out and they’d then have to start funding the club via their other more profitable businesses. Sugar daddies obviously don’t have this problem. Nor the Glazers but the Glazers are Manchester United owners. We’re on another planet to most clubs . But the simple fact is most clubs aren’t run by sugar daddies and most clubs aren’t Manchester United or Arsenal.
When you start going into the lower leagues. Clubs and chairmen have got no chance. Simon Jordan’s story is a great example of what owning a club can be like if you’ve not bottomless funds or PL tv money to survive on.
Are they? Genuine question. We make 627m vs. 602 costs, and 178m of that is transfer spending that's technically optional. Our margins are anything but thin. I know we are a money machine but i would be surprised if other PL clubs were struggling, especially taking into account most will be having a year off on transfers.

Garry Buck

This whole thing is just weird. 1 day I wake up and and am convinced the league will resume and other days I wake up certain it will not.

What’s other people thoughts on this?

Will it resume or will it be done away with and decided via ppg?

Posh Red

Are they? Genuine question. We make 627m vs. 602 costs, and 178m of that is transfer spending that's technically optional. Our margins are anything but thin. I know we are a money machine but i would be surprised if other PL clubs were struggling, especially taking into account most will be having a year off on transfers.
To be fair their are certain ‘selling clubs’ where the lack of transfers could be a hindrance rather than a help.

Ludens the Red

Yeah exactly were Man United, this will have less of an impact on us as quick as it will on other clubs.
Im not saying they’re struggling or will struggle anytime soon. I’ll stress this is purely based on a situation where there is no football until it is 100% risk free which is a while away right? . Where footballers can still be paid full salary. If most clubs go one or two seasons with no tv or prize money, they will struggle to pay all their players in full.

arnie_ni

They're employees

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its not the same at all. Im not sitting touch tight to my co worker at the office dripping in sweat.

Its incomparable
You are touching the same surfaces all day however. Think it’s also a fair assumption that not one of you would have actually undergone a fecking test to see if you are infected either.

This is before we get into the conversation of how you get to and from your place of work.

Redcy

Yeah exactly were Man United, this will have less of an impact on us as quick as it will on other clubs.
Im not saying they’re struggling or will struggle anytime soon. I’ll stress this is purely based on a situation where there is no football until it is 100% risk free which is a while away right? . Where footballers can still be paid full salary. If most clubs go one or two seasons with no tv or prize money, they will struggle to pay all their players in full.
Clubs in the efl wouldn’t survive a year without attended games unless they were subsidized. Total income on attendance tickets alone in all efl is around 250m ignoring any other income on the day.

Ludens the Red

Clubs in the efl wouldn’t survive a year without attended games unless they were subsidized. Total income on attendance tickets alone in all efl is around 250m ignoring any other income on the day.
Oh yeah they’ve got no chance of surviving. I meant PL clubs would be ok for a while.

90 + 5min

Official: Serie A to return to team training May 18 and season continue June 13th.

https://app.football-italia.net/?re...t#article/footballitalia-153170&menu=news-all

Medical protocol agreed - if a player tests positive entire team will go into quarantine.
There have been a couple of players already tested positive. When Italy opens up little more there will be more who are going to be tested positive. Not less. It is nightmare. If they agree to continue season they should be planing for a finish 3-4 months longer than they believe. At same time, there is a big question about next season as well.