Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

vivaronaldo

looking away when tackled :wenger::wenger:....this is becoming a joke...how people can get excited for games behind closed doors void of any atmosphere when players look like they cant be bothered is laughable

end it now , give lfc their belovered * and we move on

stevoc

That's ridiculous. The R rate has apparently gone up to 1, which is still manageable. New cases are below 1000 as well and active cases continue to drop. Although it is true that the rate of decline of new cases has slowed down in the last week. Let's see how things develop.

Nothing to panic about as of yet though.
After just posting the lowest number of new infections since early March?

Depending on the source you use, the R value is currently at 0.94 (Robert Koch Institute) or 0.82 (Helmholtz Centre) or 0.42 (University of Ilmenau) which tells me we shouldn't probably be looking too closely at it on a daily basis if they differ that much.
I’m not claiming this. I’m just relaying what a few “newspapers” reported today. It could be why the other poster was under the impression things were going bad in Germany again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...us-cases-considers-emergency-brake-2020-5?amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...y-coronavirus-infections-triple-lockdown/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ex...lift-tougher-lockdown-rules-angela-merkel/amp

RedDevil@84

No its the fact the players will all have been rigurously tested by the time they step onto the pitch. You can't catch the virus off of someone that hasn't got it.
Wouldn't that depend on lot of factors? Some of them I thought of just now. It is a different thing if the numbers are so low that below scenarios are no longer applicable.

- The frequency of tests on players. If a player has no infection on gameday - 3 or - 2, is that enough for the gameday?
- Once tested, will each player be put in rigorous quarantine so that they would not get a virus from sources inside their family or outside, accidentally.
- Will the player families be vetted in the same way as the players?
- Is this applicable to all club staff and stadium staff as well?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Everyone would love to watch football again. But not some artificial project. And if it can't be done in right way then stop it. How hard is to take decision to stop the League, declare Liveprool winners, try to fix standings in all leagues under Premier League and move on by planing how next season will be played.

You are aware that it isn't only Permier League that have to be fixed but also EFL? You are aware that there is FA cup still going on? European games with all quarantine rules? How can it be finished before August/September? Problem with contracts? Sponsors? Lot of problems.
I keep hearing this but am yet to hear an explanation on why people think that things will be any different in regards to next season. If you cannot play Premier League and Football League games in June, what will make you able to play them in August or September?

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I am looking forward to football again. Unlike a lot of people in this thread is seems. Should be fun to watch even if it will not be fully the same.
If you can callit football, i am certainly not looking forward to BCD friendlies., because thats all they will really be.

AlwaysRed66

I am looking forward to football again. Unlike a lot of people in this thread is seems. Should be fun to watch even if it will not be fully the same.
Fun to watch? It will be an absolute joke & nothing to do with professional football. I look forward to sides suing the pants of other sides & PL for not playing to a professional standard if results go against them & they are relegated. I hope Sky/BT refuse to pay out due to not being up to a professional standard, which it wont.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fun to watch? It will be an absolute joke & nothing to do with professional football. I look forward to sides suing the pants of other sides & PL for not playing to a professional standard if results go against them & they are relegated. I hope Sky/BT refuse to pay out due to not being up to a professional standard, which it wont.
Millions tuned into the South Korea game last weekend and most enjoyed the opportunity to be able to see live sport again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...-v-Suwon-Bluewings-South-Koreas-K-League.html

If the numbers that high for a random game in Asia imagine once the PL restarts.

90 + 5min

I keep hearing this but am yet to hear an explanation on why people think that things will be any different in regards to next season. If you cannot play Premier League and Football League games in June, what will make you able to play them in August or September?
Nobody know if it can be played. It is still few months until August /September. But one thing is that you have time to work out a plan. Right now there is no plan. Only some fast homefixed solutions that are far from good and where players/managers/owners are not even accepting. And looking at some polls there isn’t even big public support for the game.

JSArsenal

Everyone would love to watch football again. But not some artificial project. And if it can't be done in right way then stop it. How hard is to take decision to stop the League, declare Liveprool winners, try to fix standings in all leagues under Premier League and move on by planing how next season will be played.

You are aware that it isn't only Permier League that have to be fixed but also EFL? You are aware that there is FA cup still going on? European games with all quarantine rules? How can it be finished before August/September? Problem with contracts? Sponsors? Lot of problems.
What about relegation? You can't just declare Pool winners. If you're going to award the Premier League trophy then it stands to reason you also have to declare who gets relegated. As we're seeing with Ligue 1 and one of the relegated teams preparing a suit that isn't so cut and dry.

Let's leave aside relegation for a minute. If you're declaring a Premier League Champion then you also have to declare a Championship winner. Are you going to just promote the winner and not second place? That's another problem. Promote them both and you're back to the relegation issue again. The league won't be able to function with two added teams. Then you have the teams in the play off spots in the Championship.

Now do the same exercise all the way down to the Championship. This isn't just about Liverpool, nor should it be.

This is a legal quagmire

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Still, they have some point. It is said that it will be testing in training aswell. So they would be sure that no player have virus when group training starts. Right? This is only more of "look, we can fix it"-talk without any meaning.
Hard to disagree mate.

RyRy11

People that are excited for football to come back on the tele are in for a shock. Games with no atmosphere between players who haven't played for at least 3 months... Sky might want to avoid those aspects when they make their "Footballs Back!" advert.

montpelier

I wouldn't mind their forthright determination to finish this season and resolve issues if it was being accepted that it needs to happen on a limited basis and not over 92 games because of this integrity concept which is gone anyway.

At least it gives you a reasonable starting point in a way that that the "we can fix everything because its football" claims don't, imo.

What happens to the project when one club has to pull out because of significant infection? The whole thing collapses, innit.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
:lol: I actually want Liverpool to get the title now. It is so contaminated with Tory manipulation, callous greed of football's money men and utter stupidity.

Liverpool the 2020 Tory-turn-your-face-away-in-dusgust Trophy winners.

Andi Latte

Fair play to you. Ballsy decision

Still too early in my opinion, even though the numbers are going down here even after we reopened pretty much everything a bit more than a week ago.

But with our (Austria) government being the shallow self-marketing machinery that they are, the whole point of this (and everything else, really) is to hammer home how great we reacted and how even greater the men in charge are. The best at everything. Pretty much a more subtle Trump approach, aching under the yoke of neoliberalism.

There's nothing ballsy about it, I fear, it's yet another kneeling before the economists, packaged neatly in a pool of self-indulgence

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Wouldn't that depend on lot of factors? Some of them I thought of just now. It is a different thing if the numbers are so low that below scenarios are no longer applicable.

- The frequency of tests on players. If a player has no infection on gameday - 3 or - 2, is that enough for the gameday?
- Once tested, will each player be put in rigorous quarantine so that they would not get a virus from sources inside their family or outside, accidentally.
- Will the player families be vetted in the same way as the players?
- Is this applicable to all club staff and stadium staff as well?
It's already been said that the players will be expected to be quarantined together throughout the period they are going to be playing (if it goes ahead)

There isn't really a way to play the games without doing that.

Got to say I'm sceptical myself of it going ahead safely, but if the tests are in place and everyone is sufficiently isolated then there is no risk of them catching it whilst playing. The main gripe should be on the tests it is taking away from others who could need them like front line staff.

Greck

It's already been said that the players will be expected to be quarantined together throughout the period they are going to be playing (if it goes ahead)

There isn't really a way to play the games without doing that.

Got to say I'm sceptical myself of it going ahead safely, but if the tests are in place and everyone is sufficiently isolated then there is no risk of them catching it whilst playing. The main gripe should be on the tests it is taking away from others who could need them like front line staff.
I think they are investing in their own private tests, at least I'd hope so. The PL can afford the same amount a small country can on health tests.

BaneIsPain

Since they want to introduce look away tackles, time to abolish red card. Let the tackles fly away.

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

I cannot believe these newspapers seriously compare the numbers from two consecutive days (from Sunday to Monday no less!) and then postulate some sort of trend off that. The case numbers wildly differ from source to source depending on when they get reported and transmitted (the RKI is often a bit behind in that regard) and we should really be looking at averages. For what it's worth, the Johns Hopkins University posted these numbers for Germany: Sunday 555, Monday 697, Tuesday 595. No tripling there.

I'd say we are doing really, really well. Especially considering we have reopened everything. Fewer than 20,000 active cases now and as I said before, new infections haven't been this low since the beginning of March.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No guarantee but you're buying months more time as it's clear there's no chance currently.

romufc

Unfortunately the impetus that was driving our team, at the time the league was stopped, is now lost for us and we have to dig deep to try and capture that same form.
On the other hand Spurs were depleted by injuries and that would have helped us win the next game but now.............who knows?
I think that is the case with every team now. Spurs were depleted but dont forget we have Pogba and Rashy back too now. So never know how any team will perform. That is the annoying thing, teams prob wont be able to play themselves into form because the games will be coming so quick and fast.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
They're seriously expecting players to quarantine themselves away from their families for the duration? What about next season? Imagine being forced to leave your family for the best part of a year during the biggest global crisis of most of our lifetimes.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can’t believe that the players haven’t had their say yet. What happens if half of them don’t want to play? They need to take their feedback and suggestions from them onboard before making a major decision

Member 101269

So are non looking away tackles eligible for review by VAR?
Muddypuddle have benefitted from no looking VAR all season, they're just increasing it to; no COVID, no equality on rules, no crowds... players may as well suit up in a product suppled for adult activity.

I can’t believe that the players haven’t had their say yet. What happens if half of them don’t want to play? They need to take their feedback and suggestions from them onboard before making a major decision
The interview posted on sky yesterday is pretty telling. top down management in football, who would have thought it..

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yep next season is going to be impacted if it can even happen at all.

Brightonian

I'm all for players having the option to refuse to play. No one should be forced to put their health or, more pertinently, that of their loved ones, in danger. But if they continue to do so after the rest of us have had to go back to work then they should be furloughed and put on £2500 a month. And be grateful, since by then plenty of the rest of us won't even have that option - it'll be work or lose your job/pay.

pascell

I'm guessing if the Government declare it safe for them to return to work, they won't have much say in the matter.

I'm not saying I agree with them rushing the PL back for 'boosting morale' BTW, because I don't agree with it.