Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It won't. It certainly won't benefit Liverpool as their second string is considerably weaker than their starting eleven.

If changing from 3 to 5 subs is the latest thing opposition fans are trying to use as some sort of stick to beat Liverpool with its the most embarrassing one so far and that's saying something!
Once again, I'd say it's more to do with the integrity of the competition.
Is it fair that one team gets three subs for one game but another gets 5?
It affects every team, not just Liverpool, it's basically changing the rules two thirds through the season. The integrity has gone now.

Pagh Wraith

Making multiple subs at the same time takes longer than making a single sub, it just does, given the nature of the process.
Come on, that's surely minimal. And even if it takes slightly longer, having one break for subs is still preferable to having two in quick succession (which the poster I quoted seemed to be worried about). And I'm not even sure if it is true anyway. From what I've seen so far, multiple subs enter the pitch at the same time without any delay. Plus players are not taking ages to leave the field anymore as there is no crowd to clap them off.

As I said, there has been less time wasting in the Bundesliga so far, fewer fouls and therefore fewer breaks in general. Interestingly, also more back-passes.

Also, not sure if that's related, we've seen a new all-time record for ground covered in the Bundesliga. Vladimir Darida ran 14.36 km for Hertha vs Augsburg.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Come on, that's surely minimal. And even if it takes slightly longer, having one break for subs is still preferable to having two in quick succession (which the poster I quoted seemed to be worried about).
It's definitely better for sure.

I'd like sub windows in a game:
0 to 60 mins: up to 3 sub windows
61 to 80 mins: up to 2 sub windows
81 to 90 mins up to 1 sub windows.

Get cramp in the 89th min when you're 1-0 up and under pressure? Tough shit, play on.

ColvaleGoa

Looking at the number of deaths still here..I very much doubt that project restart will progress beyond 2 -3 games. With social distancing going for a toss and with partial lockdown on , I fear we will see a spike in cases soon which will trickle down to squads.
As much as I want football back I really think the numbers should have been more in Control. I hope we can finish what we started but I will be very amazed if it happens.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking at the number of deaths still here..I very much doubt that project restart will progress beyond 2 -3 games. With social distancing going for a toss and with partial lockdown on , I fear we will see a spike in cases soon which will trickle down to squads.
As much as I want football back I really think the numbers should have been more in Control. I hope we can finish what we started but I will be very amazed if it happens.
Ah the famous second spike, not appeared anywhere but apparently a sure thing!

Champ

Pedantics, but it happened in Korea and China, and Spain to a lesser degree but only a handful of countries are over the first spike so it's too early to tell.
The NHS are preparing for a second spike in cases now, so it's expected.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Pedantics, but it happened in Korea and China, and Spain to a lesser degree but only a handful of countries are over the first spike so it's too early to tell.
The NHS are preparing for a second spike in cases now, so it's expected.
South Korea and China were isolated clusters not second waves, Wuhan, over a month after reopening tested almost their entire population and found only 300 cases. There's been no sign of a second spike anywhere in Europe since opening up, some of which for nearly two months.

I mean it could happen down the line (but certainly not the certainty people on social media make out) and the NHS are correct to prepare for the worst but there's no evidence it's immediately around the corner, quite the opposite infact.

Slysi17

Perhaps I’ve missed it but is 21/22 still scheduled to start mid-August?
It's not going to start mid August. I imagine it will start mid September. Got to remember UEFA want to finish the champions league and Europa league in August. Plus players need a months break.

C'est Moi Cantona

South Korea and China were isolated clusters not second waves, Wuhan, over a month after reopening tested almost their entire population and found only 300 cases. There's been no sign of a second spike anywhere in Europe since opening up, some of which for nearly two months.

I mean it could happen down the line (but certainly not the certainty people on social media make out) and the NHS are correct to prepare for the worst but there's no evidence it's immediately around the corner, quite the opposite infact.
Of course you're right, it's understandable that people are questioning the restart and general opening of things, but infection rates are clearly on the way down right now, which is why they are doing this. Hopefully not, but there is a good chance we'll see some sort of 'second wave' this winter, which is why we should absolutely be making the most of any relative period of calm that we might have in the meantime.

The consequences to football are massive already, but to right this season off, and then run the risk of having to do the same next season, just doesn't bare thinking about.

Champ

Like I said, most of Europe has been in enforced lockdown for the past two months and are only gradually reopening places up so it's far too early for a second spike in majority of cases, but certainly Spain noticed localised increases.
The second spike will only be in clusters anyhow, it won't be a nationwide spike due to localised lockdowns, which have happened in Korea and China already, and our esteemed Government have suggested this to be the case over here. In fact the figures suggest rising cases in the north east of England right now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Like I said, most of Europe has been in enforced lockdown for the past two months and are only gradually reopening places up so it's far too early for a second spike in majority of cases, but certainly Spain noticed localised increases.
The second spike will only be in clusters anyhow, it won't be a nationwide spike due to localised lockdowns, which have happened in Korea and China already, and our esteemed Government have suggested this to be the case over here. In fact the figures suggest rising cases in the north east of England right now.
Some country's like Denmark and Austria have been reopen for nearly two.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
But they started by doing things properly in Denmark and Austria unlike what happened in the UK.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The R rate is bubbling around the 1.0 marker again so it's finely poised.

It seems fairly logical than it can all spike majorly again bearing in mind it only reduced because we shut people down.
People are out protesting and in massive groups, so unless the virus has just disappeared it does seem inevitable it'll spike again

Let's hope not though eh as a second proper lockdown would be horrible.

Champ

Less dense population mass, correct governmental decisions etc, both played a part in assisting the swift decline in cases in both countries.
Just a note for you also, the 'first spike' if you like, as in the main peak we just had was in clusters, mainly in major cities, some more so than others, so stands to reason that the 'second spike' will be in clusters also.
What impact that will have on the premiership is debatable, let's say Manchester is locked down for two weeks again, could well mean City or United would have to play a game at a neutral ground or postpone a game altogether.
This once again brings into play the integrity of the tournament.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The R rate is bubbling around the 1.0 marker again so it's finely poised.

It seems fairly logical than it can all spike majorly again bearing in mind it only reduced because we shut people down.
People are out protesting and in massive groups, so unless the virus has just disappeared it does seem inevitable it'll spike again

Let's hope not though eh as a second proper lockdown would be horrible.
The further infections go down the less prominent the R rate becomes, hence why no one's really panicking in Germany when certain areas or even the whole country hit that magic number (think I saw a tweet around Monday that Berlin hit something like 2 but by Thursday went back down below 1, hopefully one of the German posters can confirm).

For example if you have 1 new infection on Monday, 5 on Tuesday and 1 again on Wednesday the R rate goes from 5 to 0.20 in 24 hours.

Thats an extreme example but there's a lot of local areas right now that are seeing minimul cases which will lead to a lot of fluctuations with the R rate.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A second wave is certain. It's just the Tories don't care nor do their puppets.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The Mirror reported the other day the PL will start next season 12th September with fans slowly being reintroduced in stadiums to allow social distancing to start with.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Someone the other day was talking about friendlies. Today, Chelsea played Chelsea at Stamford bridge with Lampard and his assistants as ref and linos.

A good idea to get the players used to totally empty Stadiums (insert joke about Man City having an advantage).

There's no footage and they've not released the result (although RLC did score) but there was a few photos on the Chelsea website.

stevoc

Someone the other day was talking about friendlies. Today, Chelsea played Chelsea at Stamford bridge with Lampard and his assistants as ref and linos.

A good idea to get the players used to totally empty Stadiums (insert joke about Man City having an advantage).

There's no footage and they've not released the result (although RLC did score) but there was a few photos on the Chelsea website.

Who won?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Great news. That’s the second test since contact training was permitted. So far it looks like the PL, the clubs, players and staff are all working hard to minimise any risk of infection.

montpelier

I worry about a 2nd spike because lockdown was late, the infection might not have been properly squashed.

Data assessment is compromised when numbers are low.

Football is kind of in its own bubble now with its own testing stats. Will depend what happens, to state the obvious. They've given themselves the best chance and no one will want it to stop again - also obvious.

I don't think they're are any guarantees though. Saying its all over is a bold claim I think.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Surprised not to see more on the fact we've just had a 2nd all clear round of tests. Hopefully hit 2 in a row on the next one, which I think is manageable as the numbers are insanely low so far in the tests carried out.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

How did the ref do

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Surprised not to see more on the fact we've just had a 2nd all clear round of tests. Hopefully hit 2 in a row on the next one, which I think is manageable as the numbers are insanely low so far in the tests carried out.
On here? Really? :)

Clubs were always going to be well insulated. It's par for course than a surprise really. Germany had similar successes I believe.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
On here? Really? :)

Clubs were always going to be well insulated. It's par for course than a surprise really. Germany had similar successes I believe.
I'm not surprised at the low numbers of positives, just surprised it hasn't been discussed more.

I couldn't give two shits about Liverpool, its been obvious you'd be getting the title since about January and you deserve it. But I'm excited as hell to get to watch United play again.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm not surprised at the low numbers of positives, just surprised it hasn't been discussed more.

I couldn't give two shits about Liverpool, its been obvious you'd be getting the title since about January and you deserve it. But I'm excited as hell to get to watch United play again.
Because most people flooding this thread are fear and doom mongers. Posting news which go opposite of spreading fear doesn't interest them. Had that tweet said there were 20 infected, this thread would have had extra 50 pages by now with most just calling to void and null the season.

Last edited:

C'est Moi Cantona

Because most people flooding this thread are fear and doom mongers. Posting news which go opposite of spreading fear doesn't interest them. Had that tweet said there were 20 infected, this thread would have had an extra 50 pages by now with most just calling to void and null the season.
Very true, likewise if we get a sudden jump in cases just before we kick off, or worse still half way through the restart, then they'll be some who will literally be falling over themselves to be the first on here to say 'told you so', and 'how football should be ashamed of itself', etc.

Everything is looking very good, and if stays like this then it's a feather in cap to the decision makers for holding their nerve.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Very true, likewise if we get a sudden jump in cases just before we kick off, or worse still half way through the restart, then they'll be some who will literally be falling over themselves to be the first on here to say 'told you so', and 'how football should be ashamed of itself', etc.

Everything is looking very good, and if stays like this then it's a feather in cap to the decision makers for holding their nerve.
Yeah the doom mongers soon head over to another thread when it is clear it is going to restart. I for one cannot wait for the season to restart as we do need to get some normality back bit by bit.

Everyone is happy for the protestors to be mingling in cities as it is a good cause but never mind grandma who they will infect at the next 6 person bbq but football with no spectators is a no go.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah the doom mongers soon head over to another thread when it is clear it is going to restart. I for one cannot wait for the season to restart as we do need to get some normality back bit by bit.

Everyone is happy for the protestors to be mingling in cities as it is a good cause but never mind grandma who they will infect at the next 6 person bbq but football with no spectators is a no go.
They're not, it's just difficult to articulate your concerns without seeming like an arsehole, but hopefully the virus is so much on the way down we'll get away with it.

I too cannot wait for it to be back, loads of people saying they're indifferent to it, and haven't really missed it, etc, but are here on a football forum saying this, they have missed it just as much as the rest, it's just more fashionable to say you haven't at the moment.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
They're not, it's just difficult to articulate your concerns without seeming like an arsehole, but hopefully the virus is so much on the way down we'll get away with it.

I too cannot wait for it to be back, loads of people saying they're indifferent to it, and haven't really missed it, etc, but are here on a football forum saying this, they have missed it just as much as the rest, it's just more fashionable to say you haven't at the moment.
Hopefully the virus is on the way down but maybe it is something we have to live with until a vaccine is found (if ever). Nobody knows enough about it yet but hopefully with social distancing in the majority of people’s mindsets and hand cleanliness improving then maybe it can be controlled by our behaviour.

Try stopping the Liverpool fans having their celebrations now after the scenes in London.