Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

0le

Yeah but when every other major league around the world has cancelled or supports behind closed doors (i.e. no fans), you can see that there's precedence. Sometimes you have the opportunity to make bold decisions as a leader no matter what other people say because you're gathering input from others to make the call and it's your call, it's your head.
So you want him to go against the advice he is receiving from the experts. Right...

Snafu17

Italy is about to overtake China in total active cases in a day or two. How is Europe not worried all over the place, god knows.

Spain, France and Germany catching up too.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China80,796+183,169+1162,82614,8014,25756.1
Italy15,113+2,6511,016+1891,25812,8391,153250.0
Iran10,075+1,075429+753,2766,370120.0
S. Korea7,869+11466+63337,47054153.5
Spain3,059+78286+311892,78412665.4
Germany2,502+5365+2252,472929.9
France2,28148122,22110534.9
USA1,396+9539+1151,342104.2
Isn't it? There have been a lot of different response measures all around continental Europe. Mostly not quite as hardcore as China's but there's definitely a significant amount of worry.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He is listening to advice from the scientists and doctors who have knowledge in this area. This isn't a decision he is making just on a whim...
I don't understand how this can be the case though? Surely thousands and thousands of people from all over the place being in enclosed spaces (stands, transport, outside the ground) would allow the spread of a virus?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just imagine if Everton manage to get the win on Monday and then it's all called off an declared null. :lol:

Scouse fans would probably make themselves a moral trophy or something.

Also, the possibility of Leeds leading the Championship and not getting promoted. :lol:

UncleBob

He is listening to advice from the scientists and doctors who have knowledge in this area. This isn't a decision he is making just on a whim...
"We were wrong" is essentially what they are now saying in Norway, which was then followed by closing all schools, kindergartens, hairdressers etc etc

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Reading some of these points below, it's suggesting that ONLY people who had tickets will be able to tap into these streams?

For free presumably? Still not the same as being there when you're paying £40 a ticket!
Even more awkward when you basically look after a couple of tickets like I do.

Will you get compensated? Very awkward all round.

● All Premier League season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games will be able to stream coverage of matches into their homes;

● No games will be shown in pubs so as to avoid congregation of people;

● Premier League games will not be shown live in the 3pm slot on Saturday afternoons;

● Broadcasters will be permitted to screen more than one Premier League game during both the lunchtime and tea-time television slots on Saturday, and the scheduled slots on Sundays and Mondays; and

● Season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games at Football League clubs will be allowed to watch matches on iFollow streams.
Seeing that all sports around the world is being suspended - vide: NBA / MLS / F1 and many others, are we the only country who want to continue slogging it out with our Football Leagues? Even behind closed doors ?!

Does the money from television companies dictate what happens ?!

edcunited1878

So you want him to go against the advice he is receiving from the experts. Right...
He's not going against experts, he's taking into consideration their opinions. Yet everywhere around the world, leaders such as governors of states (California) have imposed directives that public gatherings of over 250+ people should be cancelled...have guess what, cancelled the event. So did those leaders go against the advice they received from the experts?

He's one of a very few around the world, in local and state level government, who has allowed public gatherings to happen when people need protection from themselves.

0le

He's not going against experts, he's taking into consideration their opinions. Yet everywhere around the world, leaders such as governors of states (California) have imposed directives that public gatherings of over 250+ people should be cancelled...have guess what, cancelled the event. So did those leaders go against the advice they received from the experts?

He's one of a very few around the world, in local and state level government, who has allowed public gatherings to happen when people need protection from themselves.
So then why aren't you questioning our expertise rather than the PM?

AlwaysRed66

Isn't it? There have been a lot of different response measures all around continental Europe. Mostly not quite as hardcore as China's but there's definitely a significant amount of worry.
I wouldn't believe a word out of China. The real death toll there was probably in the 10's of thousands. Stories abounded of bodies being disposed day & night. Thanks to them a virus as rampaged around the world, not that it will do them much good, as the buyers of their products are in lockdown or going to be.

Withnail

Then why is he taking a much more relaxed approach than most other EU countries?

If you want to look into the future take a look at Italy.

edcunited1878

So then why aren't you questioning our expertise rather than the PM?
It's his ultimate call based on the experts...and we all know with the experts, there's agendas. Either way, as a leader it's his call. You study the landscape around you (i.e. the world), deduct what you can learn from them, consult with your experts as it relates to your community, and then make a decision on behalf of everyone. It's his call. He can hire/fire his experts, but it's still his call and it's questionable. Not everybody is going to like a decision no matter how big or small, but he's going to be accountable for it forever....especially when he (grimly) said, "more families are going to lose loved ones before their time".

Gasolin

I wouldn't believe a word out of China. The real death toll there was probably in the 10's of thousands. Stories abounded of bodies being disposed day & night. Thanks to them a virus as rampaged around the world, not that it will do them much good, as the buyers of their products are in lockdown or going to be.
I don't know about that. Look at HK, SG, Korea... it went up, but they stabilized it. Now it's under control in term of velocity. European countries are not handling it properly right now.
What I am trying to say is that maybe China has it under control for real as opposed to just faking numbers.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No, the virus spread like wildfire because that's what it does, everywhere. The only difference between italy and spain, france, germany, uk, etc is that we're a week or more ahead
Apologies buddy I worded that terribly, what I should have said is it took off so much because no one expected it to in the way it did and you guys weren't prepared, hence no taking precautions. I think other countries will learn from you guys and close down/shut up shop much quicker (or maybe thats wishful thinking).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Apologies buddy I worded that terribly, what I should have said is it took off so much because no one expected it to in the way it did and you guys weren't prepared, hence no taking precautions. I think other countries will learn from you guys and close down/shut up shop much quicker (or maybe thats wishful thinking).

Think you need to have a word with Boris.

matt10000

Italy is about to overtake China in total active cases in a day or two. How is Europe not worried all over the place, god knows.

Spain, France and Germany catching up too.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
China80,796+183,169+1162,82614,8014,25756.1
Italy15,113+2,6511,016+1891,25812,8391,153250.0
Iran10,075+1,075429+753,2766,370120.0
S. Korea7,869+11466+63337,47054153.5
Spain3,059+78286+311892,78412665.4
Germany2,502+5365+2252,472929.9
France2,28148122,22110534.9
USA1,396+9539+1151,342104.2
[/QUOTE
My mate is working in Hong Kong and said you can’t really trust anything that the Chinese Gov says...

padr81

Supports
Man City
Spreading slowly is better than spreading fast.
This is the key point people don't seem to be grasping, nothing is going to make it go away until we get a vaccine in 12-18 months

The idea is for it to spread as slowly as possible so we don't have too many people in the ICU or emergency room at the same time. Its much safer for 5m people to get it over 18 months than over 2 months. Less strain on the health services and a much higher chance of recovery. People are going into quarantine to stop the virus. They aren't closing schools and stopping gatherings to stop the virus, they are doing it to slow the virus and save lives because of better treatment for those worst affected.

Absolute fecking moron.
This country is such a joke :lol:
The guy really doesn’t have a scooby which is massively concerning
What 0le said for fecks sake, no evidence supports suspending sporting events etc to slow down the spread. I argued this yesterday too but people just make up their own truth I guess.

Then why is he taking a much more relaxed approach than most other EU countries?

If you want to look into the future take a look at Italy.
Did sporting events cause the spread? Should be loads of evidence that tonnes picked it up at a game then right?

I argued yesterday that unless you close down public rush hour transport and supermarkets/malls, it’s pointless.

Appears the UK science team agree and I’m glad there aren’t just doing is as a PR exercise because others are.

Member 101269

1 person releases the virus, on average (which average theyre referring to im unsure) 1 person infect 2-3 people.. so you have a low probability of effecting people.. is low WOW... so large events are ok because we don't and aren't measuring people as infected at home..

ROFLUTION

Did sporting events cause the spread? Should be loads of evidence that tonnes picked it up at a game then right?

I argued yesterday that unless you close down public rush hour transport and supermarkets/malls, it’s pointless.

Appears the UK science team agree and I’m glad there aren’t just doing is as a PR exercise because others are.
Seems rather stupid to nothing instead of something to me. But of course both things should be done.

Btw, som educations, schools and public work has been suspended for 14 days here in Denmark to avoid a breakdown in the hospitalsector. Can't believe Germany, France and England are so slow to act.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

It's not about what caused the spread anymore, it's about preventing it from spreading further. Closing down sporting events will go some way to achieving that.

It's not about what caused the spread anymore, it's about preventing it from spreading further. Closing down sporting events will go some way to achieving that.
No, once again there's absoltely no proof that it does if you continue to keep tubes open, public rush hour transport, schools etc.

None whatsoever. The government's science team have confirmed that, an argument myself and another poster were making yesterday.

Withnail

It's about social exclusion to slow down the spread and it's a gradual ramp up of the response.

Initially it's big events and then they move on to smaller ones.

Over here we've banned gatherings of more than 500 outdoors and 100 indoors and everyone's been advised to work from home where possible.

I'm working from home for the next two weeks at least.

Last edited:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
How the hell is the Leicester vs Watford game going ahead when the City vs Arsenal one was called off? Puzzling.

Dante

Average bang
If Liverpool are denied the title, it'll be proof of what everyone already knew. God is a United fan.

Member 101269

guys, the government have made their position clear, you're on your own... close environments aren't stadiums.. stay safe

ThinkTank@Cafe

EPL officials are not going to withhold pressure any longer. Imagine mass outbreak of the virus after a game. They will look stupid to let it happen after virtually all sports events throughout the world were suspended. Expecting EPL to be cancelled in the next couple of days.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not if the science doesn't back it up.

Doing "something" in that case is nothing more than PR mate so a government can say "look, we're doing something".
It's purely a means of preventing the spread spiraling out of control.

Just picture the public outrage if Rashford contracted the virus during a game against Spurs, for example, because the government refused to allow him to self-isolate like the rest of the world. The government must take all necessary measures to prevent this virus from spreading out of control, closing down all sporting events and preventing large numbers of people from congregating (70k in some cases) achieves that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There has been widespread criticism of Atletico de Madrid fans being in Liverpool after the English city confirmed 10 new cases of coronavirus.

There were 3,000 fans of Atleti in the English city to see their team record a memorable Champions League victory on Wednesday night, but the decision to allow fans into the match had been met with great skepticism and alarm.

Marca cites the Liverpool Echo in quoting a public health expert who criticised the decision of allowing the fans to come in from the Spanish capital – with multiple coronavirus cases – to drink in the bars and potentially spread the virus.
https://www.football-espana.net/202...coronavirus-cases-after-atletico-madrid-visit

bushyzor

So the Premier League handbook states:

'Season' is defined as:

That's about the entirety of the relevant material remarkably. Section L: Fixtures makes no allowance for fixtures simply not to be played at the discretion of the league or anything like that. Section X : Arbitration could handle any dispute over it, I guess.
Ahhhhh Way to ruin my dreams
So the best scenario for us is then to hope we win this weekend and Chelsea lose. That way when they postpone the league next week we will be sitting in fourth and will definitely get a champions league spot

Withnail

How the hell is the Leicester vs Watford game going ahead when the City vs Arsenal one was called off? Puzzling.
The Leicester players have symptoms but weren't proven to be exposed to the coronavirus and were told by health officials they just have a cold or flu and to self isolate as a precaution.

The Arsenal players definitely were exposed to someone infected.