Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

acnumber9

Despite this guy being a bit of an idiot, he seems to have inside sources

So the only thing different from just ceasing the league where it is is Arsenal would move above Spurs and Sheffield United above Wolves? Seems less fair than leaving it and a little pointless.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The only things he's ever got right are leicester lineups.
He won't have any inside knowledge of the fa.

What would average points do. Help the couple of teams with games in hand only. And penalises teams who had crap runs and are now on the up..like us.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So the only thing different from just ceasing the league where it is is Arsenal would move above Spurs and Sheffield United above Wolves? Seems less fair than leaving it and a little pointless.
I don’t get that average thing either, there’s really no sense to it

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
The two best case scenarios for the FA are 1) Wait for all this madness to end and finish the season and 2) declare the season void.

Third scenario would be to end the season on the current standings, a scenario I am sure they all want to avoid, no matter how many say the FA want to see Liverpool league winners. No they do not, at least not in this situation now. From a legal point of view, they would be flooded with law suits, a total disaster that nobody at the FA would even want to think of at this point really.

Going by the tune of "It is impossible we lose the next matches and City win them all, look how we've won 30 something out of 30 something lately" - I give you something to think about: Monday, May 5th, Selhurst Park, Liverpool FC are 3 nil up with 12 minutes to go, match gets suspended because of a similar situation we're living now. LFC fans would say they should be awarded the win because "look at the scoreline, we were 3 nil up and Palace were dross, what could happen in 12 minutes, we're probably put even 3 more in the score sheet and make it 6-0". And don't even try to deny that would not be the tune of ALL Liverpool fans.

Well, it did not happen and 12 minutes were enough for Palace to score three. Nothing can't be taken for granted in life, nevermind football.

Would this (Liverpool lose all, City win all until the end) happen? I don't think so. Can it mathematically happen? 100%. Case closed then. You can't just award the league title to someone that has not won it yet, MATHEMATICALLY. No matter how good they have been and how much they deserve it. City would deserve it as well should they win all the matches until the end (and Liverpool lose them all). Just for their heroic fight, right?

What about United, Wolves, Sheffield? What makes you think they cannot end in the top 4? The FA can't just split the league in two and award Liverpool the title because "they were too good and it's impossible they let it slip", when actually there is a possibility, but United are out of the CL spots because they were not in top 4 when mathematically they had all the chances in this world to finish the season there.

To finish the season as it is now woulf be too big of a headache for the FA and it will not happen. LFC fans should hope for this virus mania to end soon, otherwise the title is gone.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
@hasanejaz88 you keep saying 29 games is enough to show the standing but the whole point of a league is everyone plays everyone else TWICE. There’s teams in the bottom 3 that have had to player tougher games (stronger opposition) than those above them, and you will be denying those the chance to even those games played.
It's not a perfect solution but how is it a better solution to tell those clubs to go at it again giving them no reward for for their efforts. Again, asking clubs like Wolves, Sheffiled to try and win European places again when their rivals will have the whole summer to build up their squads with much more money is a poor solution. For the teams that will be relegated, they have not been playing at a high level throughout the season so it isn't fair that those who deserve the reward to move up (championship clubs) don't get their due but those who have been poor get to keep the PL money and rewards despite not deserving it.

Also, how will you decide who gets to play in Europe? Based on the previous season so Spurs, who have been utter shite, get to play in the UCL again?

Woodzy

That wouldn't be fair in the slightest. We have an incredibly strong chance with our current form of qualifying for the Champions League via either PL and EL.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

What would average points do. Help the couple of teams with games in hand only. And penalises teams who had crap runs and are now on the up..like us.
Considering we've pretty much played all our most difficult games we would be wise to strongly oppose that idea.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Slightly fairer than just leaving it as teams at least get credit for any games in hand

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's either void it (the best option) or conclude the season at a later date (which would have a huge domino effect on football scheduling for the next season or two).

You can't go handing teams titles because they were likely to win it.
Yep. Simple choice. Void it or get the games complete somehow.

You can't award on the current as all but the title was in the balance. And you can't be awarding anything on 3/4 completion as it sets precedents.

In a few weeks sport might seem pathetically unimportant in the scheme of life

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
There is really
I don't understand who the averages thing will work? The only difference will be to those clubs who have played one game less, otherwise it's the same table as before.

I can't see why they can't have those teams play each other BCD, have everyone in the staff tested before and then have the matches on one day.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not a perfect solution but how is it a better solution to tell those clubs to go at it again giving them no reward for for their efforts. Again, asking clubs like Wolves, Sheffiled to try and win European places again when their rivals will have the whole summer to build up their squads with much more money is a poor solution. For the teams that will be relegated, they have not been playing at a high level throughout the season so it isn't fair that those who deserve the reward to move up (championship clubs) don't get their due but those who have been poor get to keep the PL money and rewards despite not deserving it.

Also, how will you decide who gets to play in Europe? Based on the previous season so Spurs, who have been utter shite, get to play in the UCL again?
Nothing is fair. But starting and going again is the fairest and least made up Playing football god solution

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Nothing is fair. But starting and going again is the fairest and least made up Playing football god solution
How is that fair?

Sheffield are currently above Spurs and Arsenal (and potentially us), so then suppose Spurs/Arsenal go in the summer and buy expensive players which adds to the quality of their squad, how do you expect Sheffield to compete with them again and retain the same spot in the table?

acnumber9

Slightly fairer than just leaving it as teams at least get credit for any games in hand
It isn’t fairer than points actually won and only Wolves would suffer from it in comparison to where they are now. Sheffield United’s game in hand is against Villa. Wolves haven’t had the benefit of two games against Villa.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So if its voided what happens to the champions league teams. Its the exact same as last year I presume? Same teams groups etc.

Rajma

Imo when everything dies out a bit, they will finish it off behind the closed doors. Any other decision unless agreed by all clubs will sink the league in huge lawsuits.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
So if its voided what happens to the champions league teams. Its the exact same as last year I presume? Same teams groups etc.
No one who has mentioned that option has come out with a viable option for that. Still waiting to hear one.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The telegraph seems to think liverpool will be awarded the league and we'll have a 22 strong team with 5 relegation slots next season and no league cup.

Can't believe that personally.
That's not going to happen, already fixture list congestion with all the cups anyway, add in another 4 games somewhere and you'd have a real struggle imo

Untied

How is that fair?

Sheffield are currently above Spurs and Arsenal (and potentially us), so then suppose Spurs/Arsenal go in the summer and buy expensive players which adds to the quality of their squad, how do you expect Sheffield to compete with them again and retain the same spot in the table?
Why is it fair for poor Saudi owned Sheffield United to finish above those sides simply because they haven't played them twice - 7 of their last 10 fixtures are against the top 10.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes. Maths is the only thing that matters - if you don’t have the points then you don’t have the points.
No it’s an unprecedented and unaccounted for situation. It won’t be about maths, it’ll be about principles. The Premier League has a set of values and principles that guide how it goes about its business. Those come to the fore when you have to take a decision like that which is outwith the regulations of the competition. Put bluntly I do not think their four values of ambitious, inspiring, connected and fair are going to chime well with a null and void scenario cancelling out everybody's efforts and which is clearly massively unfair to a number of teams. That fairness value is what will guide their decision-making when the clubs come together to work out a plan. It's probably what will lead to the Telegraph solution of an expanded league with Liverpool awarded the title, if the season cannot be concluded over the next few months. That'll be seen as the fairest option on the table.

laughtersassassin

The telegraph seems to think liverpool will be awarded the league and we'll have a 22 strong team with 5 relegation slots next season and no league cup.

Can't believe that personally.
Would suck for us as we would be robbed of our chance at CL

diarm

And benefit teams who had good runs and are now on the way down... like Liverpool (4 losses in 5 games). Would they have even held on? Probably yes but for as long as I live I'll be telling Liverpool fans otherwise.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

This is an absolutely shit idea. Look at the position of the teams we are yet to play:

United:

Tottenham = 8
Sheffield = 7
Norwich = 20
Brighton = 15
Bournemouth = 18
Villa = 19
Southampton = 14
Palace = 11
West Ham = 16
Leicester = 3

Average = 13.1
Top 6 left to play: 1
Rivals for CL spot: 1
Bottom 6 left to play: 6

Then Chelsea:

Villa = 19
City = 2
Leicester = 3
West Ham = 16
Watford = 17
Palace = 11
Sheffield United = 7
Norwich = 20
Liverpool = 1
Wolves = 6

Average = 10.2
Top 6 left to play: 4
Rivals for CL spot: 2
Bottom 6 left to play: 4

Leicester:

Watford = 17
Chelsea = 3
Brighton = 15
Everton = 12
Palace = 11
Arsenal = 9
Bournemouth = 18
Sheffield United = 7
Tottenham = 8
United = 5

Average = 10.3
Top 6 left to play: 2
Rivals for CL spot: 2
Bottom 6 left to play: 3

laughtersassassin

Can't take current or last year's positions for CL spots. Play off must be done atleast.

Relegation is easier cause worst case just relegate no one and promote 2.

diarm

If I was in charge:

Void the season. No winner, no relegation.
Leeds & West Brom promoted to 22 team league next year.
Make next years League Cup an U21 tournament for Prem sides (should be anyway)
Use last years European Qualifier places but give Arsenal City's CL place and Sheffield United Arsenals EL place.

Sucks for us but we'll get over it because it's worse for Liverpool.

Edit: Shit, I just remembered Leicester. This is why I'm not in charge.

paulscholes18

@Pexbo that Norwich game is a F.A cup game

If the season can’t be completed you are never going to be able to please everyone, I would void the league and promote the top 2 of each division and next season in the prem bottom 4 go down and the top 2 of the championship go up, and have no league cup

arnie_ni

There is also the Sky/BT etc problem, whereby the PL & UEFA are paid to supply a certain amount of televised games in a season. From what I can gather, if they don't fulfil this criteria the contracts don't need to be paid. Be interesting. Sky will have enough problems with probably their own customers demanding refunds & doubt will be to be pleased if the PL doesn't play ball. I wonder if they don't fulfil the contracts, the media companies might decide to draw up less favourable new ones.

This is a nightmare situation for all concerned whether fans, football clubs or media companies, & I am glad I wont be making the decisions, as it wont end well whatever they do.
Im going to ring and cancel sky sports and bt i think.

Castia

Because, just like how it is used to decide the tables after 38 games, GD is used to decide which team has been better in case of equal points. Over 29 games the other team was better because they had more GD.

Again, there have been 29 games played. Plenty of time for show the quality of each team over the course of the season.

Not it isn't. The season is 38 games, they have 9 fixtures to get where they want to be.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How is that fair?

How is that fair?

Currently above yes, with lots of high pressure games to be played.

But they’ve done ok upto now so let’s just reward them anyway.

Same as Liverpool, haven’t got enough points to mathematically win the league But they’ve played good so let’s give them a trophy anyway.

Woodzy

If I was in charge:

Void the season. No winner, no relegation.
Leeds & West Brom promoted to 22 team league next year.
Make next years League Cup an U21 tournament for Prem sides (should be anyway)
Use last years European Qualifier places but give Arsenal City's CL place and Sheffield United Arsenals EL place.

Sucks for us but we'll get over it because it's worse for Liverpool.

Edit: Shit, I just remembered Leicester. This is why I'm not in charge.
There's no way you could justify promoting teams from the Championship but not handing the title to Liverpool at the same time.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Because, just like how it is used to decide the tables after 38 games, GD is used to decide which team has been better in case of equal points. Over 29 games the other team was better because they had more GD.

Again, there have been 29 games played. Plenty of time for show the quality of each team over the course of the season.
A season is 38 games, the placing of all teams are dependent on their performance over all of those matches.
Take Utd in 95/96, Newcastle were 12 points clear in January and we’re supposed to win it easily, but we won the title by 4 points.
You, like a lot of others, are ignoring the fact this doesn’t impact just 1 team, it impacts 20 teams. They all have to be treated equally, therefore they all have to play each other twice, they all have to have the ability to use the same squads they had when the last transfer window closed, any long term injuries that are keeping a player out until the end of the planned season should exclude that player from reappearing in a delayed finish etc etc.

The moment ANY of the teams feel it has been treated unfairly in relation. To any other team then the lawyers will come out and have a field day. There is only one way to treat every team the same as all others, and that’s to void all the leagues for this season and start a new season when the situation allows for it.