Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I think the scousers will be awarded the league. Just a feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

If that happens, Villa gets relegated despite being a win away from safety and having a game in hand over Watford and Bournemouth.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
And then Liverpool, who have played the first 11 all year, run them into the ground, look knackered, on a losing streak get to have a nice 6 months rest and start again refreshed.

I don’t think so
Well everyone would get a chance to refresh and have all their players back fit. We could have Pogba and Rashford back for example

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There's no way you could justify promoting teams from the Championship but not handing the title to Liverpool at the same time.
Yep, agreed. Call me stupid but have the Championship teams finished their full fixtures already? No? Then how can we promote anybody? Is everything voided and all teams are forced to stay in their respective leagues?

Legal ramifications. :D

laughtersassassin

If I was in charge:

Void the season. No winner, no relegation.
Leeds & West Brom promoted to 22 team league next year.
Make next years League Cup an U21 tournament for Prem sides (should be anyway)
Use last years European Qualifier places but give Arsenal City's CL place and Sheffield United Arsenals EL place.

Sucks for us but we'll get over it because it's worse for Liverpool.

Edit: Shit, I just remembered Leicester. This is why I'm not in charge.
There is no great options but it looks like we are the ones most likely to come of of this fecked.

I'm for a play off on the summer

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think the scousers will be awarded the league. Just a feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

If that happens, Villa gets relegated despite being a win away from safety and having a game in hand over Watford and Bournemouth.
Honesty this is the only situation I’m 100% certain won’t happen. They simply won’t stick with the current standings, we are either going to get the fixtures played out at a later date or the whole thing will be void. Thinks it’s as black and white as that.

opopop

Currently above yes, with lots of high pressure games to be played.

But they’ve done ok upto now so let’s just reward them anyway.

Same as Liverpool, haven’t got enough points to mathematically win the league But they’ve played good so let’s give them a trophy anyway.
Currently above yes, with lots of high pressure games to be played.

But they’ve done ok upto now so let’s just reward them anyway.

Same as Liverpool, haven’t got enough points to mathematically win the league But they’ve played good so let’s give them a trophy anyway.
From now on let's play until the 76th minute and then if we are winning can just stop the game.

If the other team was good enough they should have been beating us by then and also it'd be unfair to void the result when we played so well for 76 minutes.

arnie_ni

I thought it was a mass wind up about a null and void outcome to prevent Liverpool from securing the title, but are folk actually serious that is a realistic end to the title race?
Of course its a serious option. It actually fecks utd over because we wont make the cl

Infra-red

Imo when everything dies out a bit, they will finish it off behind the closed doors. Any other decision unless agreed by all clubs will sink the league in huge lawsuits.
It will September before that can happen - so next season is massively curtailed in order to finish off the previous season?

Havak

Pokemon master
Voiding the whole season (and other tiers) is the only completely fair thing to do, which is unfortunate as I do think Liverpool should get the title. However, if there is no possibility to resume and finish the season by July or so, with the transfer windows altered for a season, then the full void simply has to happen.

This opens up the least can of worms as next season can begin as normal, the transfer windows can remain the same and players contracts ending in June can remain as is.

In regards to European places, you have to use the previous seasons.

The only issues are:

1) TV Packages - I'd like to think this is easy to resolve. Customers refunded for the remaining months and don't have access to the channels until June. Money given to the TV companies to compensate losses.

2) Record Keeping - This one is a bit less of an issue and would probably just stand. However, if the season is void, do we scrap the history of win/loss/draw records between teams and the goals/assists for every player?

I'd be more inclined to just give the players and teams the latter, but it's at least a question to ask albeit a rather moot point in the circumstances.

Any playoffs, average points, current standings, behind closed doors and whatever else just aren't feasible no matter what argument anyone comes up with IMO. You are always going to be more fair to one team than another which ruins the integrity of the competition. It either all happens as normal or none of it does. Those are the only two options, it's a waste of time debating anything else. Hopefully, this break grants enough time to find a way to resume, but I think the spread of the virus will worsen in that time frame so I expect a full season void.

arnie_ni

There is no scenario in which we make the CL. It isn't going to happen, so everyone should just forget about it.
If the league was cancelled now and final positions as is we do because we're 5th and city are banned.

Or if they finish the league id be confident we'll make it

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I read how lots of fans, pundits and journos are saying how it would be fair to award Liverpool PL title. But how people can't understand that only Liverpool have "clear" situation. All other clubs don't. They are few points from playing in CL or not, playing in Championship or not.

So you just can't legally and logically give Liverpool Pl title and cancel season. If season is canceled then only two solution are possible:
1) void a season ( some clubs unhappy)
2) use current standings.( most of clubs unhappy with legal ground to appeal).

As someone said it is black or white. There is no middle here. "Hey, lets cancel whole season like it didn't happen but lets give Liverpool title". Title of what if season does not exist in history?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Voiding the whole season (and other tiers) is the only completely fair thing to do, which is unfortunate as I do think Liverpool should get the title. However, if there is no possibility to resume and finish the season by July or so, with the transfer windows altered for a season, then the full void simply has to happen.

This opens up the least can of worms as next season can begin as normal, the transfer windows can remain the same and players contracts ending in June can remain as is.

In regards to European places, you have to use the previous seasons.

The only issues are:

1) TV Packages - I'd like to think this is easy to resolve. Customers refunded for the remaining months and don't have access to the channels until June. Money given to the TV companies to compensate losses.

2) Record Keeping - This one is a bit less of an issue and would probably just stand. However, if the season is void, do we scrap the history of win/loss/draw records between teams and the goals/assists for every player?

I'd be more inclined to just give the players and teams the latter, but it's at least a question to ask albeit a rather moot point in the circumstances.

Any playoffs, average points, current standings, behind closed doors and whatever else just aren't feasible no matter what argument anyone comes up with IMO. You are always going to be more fair to one team than another which ruins the integrity of the competition. It either all happens as normal or none of it does. Those are the only two options, it's a waste of time debating anything else. Hopefully, this break grants enough time to find a way to resume, but I think the spread of the virus will worsen in that time frame so I expect a full season void.
Yep, exactly my thoughts on it

Infra-red

If the league was cancelled now and final positions as is we do because we're 5th and city are banned.

Or if they finish the league id be confident we'll make it
They won't finish the league, it's over.

City's ban may well be suspended by CAS until a judgement is reached (which won't be anytime soon).

arnie_ni

They won't finish the league, it's over.

City's ban may well be suspended by CAS until a judgement is reached.
Hence my point. You didnt read my post.

The only fair way to end this is null and void even though it fecks us over. Theres no bias in my post, its the only fair way and utd will just have to take it on the chin that we wont have cl footy the next season europe is back and that will likely mean no sancho/partey/whoever else fans want

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I honestly think the following situation is extremely possible:

- Season is not finished
- There are no champions for 19/20
- There are no relegations or promotions
- Current top 4 excluding City get into Europe

Which would obviously be a wet dream for us

If they put last seasons top 4 into Europe it wouldn’t be fair as 2 of them have already been knocked out so you would be reinstating them into the competition. This would be ridiculous as Spurs would qualify for a competition they have already been eliminated from and were looking likely not to qualify for next year.

spiriticon

Could we void next season and finish this one off next year?

Would anybody be unhappy about that? (Apart from us on the caf obv)

It's possible that we may only have half of next season anyways

Last edited:

Infra-red

Hence my point. You didnt read my post.

The only fair way to end this is null and void even though it fecks us over. Theres no bias in my post, its the only fair way and utd will just have to take it on the chin that we wont have cl footy the next season europe is back and that will likely mean no sancho/partey/whoever else fans want
I don't disagree. I was simply making the point that United won't be playing CL football next year. Everyone should just get used to it. The likelihood of football even being played in August, is very low.

SirAF

Ageist
This is all getting rather tiring. However, at the end of the day even if they «award» Liverpool the title it’s going to be heavily tainted.
No final whistle to make everyone run onto the pitch to celebrate, no bus parade and no trophy lifting in front of the fans - it will be like it never happened actually.

laughtersassassin

There is no scenario in which we make the CL. It isn't going to happen, so everyone should just forget about it.
Well I hope United don't. There is an argument to say we could have easily made it. We have 2 avenues in with Prem and EL.

1. Games played behind closed doors in Summer an option

2. Play off for positions another but unlikely (Fairer than current positions)

3. Hope Europa is finished in Summer the last.

Either way it will be unfair if we don't get a chance and will cost the club a hell of a lot of money considering are Adidas deal so let's hope they don't keel over.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Ad-hoc solution of awarding Liverpool the title while asking rest of the PL to make do with 2018-19 table is never going to work. It's going to be contested by other 19 clubs and opens up litany of law suits which I suspect FA would've little intention of dealing with.

I read how lots of fans, pundits and journos are saying how it would be fair to award Liverpool PL title. But how people can't understand that only Liverpool have "clear" situation. All other clubs don't. They are few points from playing in CL or not, playing in Championship or not.
Majority of media are so far up Liverpools' ass, that all logic goes out of the window when they speak about them. How can you rule in favour of one team and declare team champions but make up different rules for the others? Leicester have also had an amazing season, what happens to their CL place? What about Sheffield Utd, will they get a EL place? If they use the GW27 table as final, then that works for both. But then what do you tell the club just outside the CL/EL places? No relegation idea works, but then, how do you deal with promotions? Do you only promote Top 2 teams? What happens to the play-offs then?

There are so many questions if they decide to take a call on using current tally as final for on-going season to declare Liverpool champions.

Chalk this entire season off, across all leagues, all competitions. None of it ever happened or has any significance. Start the next season on basis of final tally of 18/19, it means us playing EL for another season. Then so be it.

I honestly think the following situation is extremely possible:

- Season is not finished
- There are no champions for 19/20
- There are no relegations or promotions
- Current top 4 excluding City get into Europe

Which would obviously be a wet dream for us
This will never work, teams just behind us have a good chance as any to finish in CL places if the whole season was completed.

If they put last seasons top 4 into Europe it wouldn’t be fair as 2 of them have already been knocked out so you would be reinstating them into the competition. This would be ridiculous as Spurs would qualify for a competition they have already been eliminated from and were looking likely not to qualify for next year.
Not, if current season of CL is declared completely void, meaning none of it matters.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Well if Liverpool do get the title it will be dampened by the fact that the league was never finished and they mathematically could still have been caught so we will still have that to rub in the scouser faces!

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think regarding European football the only way to do it that would be sort of fair would be to just not have any European football next season.
If nobody has it then nobody is at a disadvantage.
Obviously this would still be rubbish for the likes of Wolves and Sheff Utd but to me it’s much fairer than having last seasons champions league teams get another go at it for free.
Obviously this would be bad for us too, I think given our form we’d have been likely to get champions league football and maybe win one or two of the trophies available to us, but it is what it is.
Hopefully they can finish the season even if it’s behind closed doors.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Does everyone here genuinely think Liverpool we’re going to win the league? It seemed obvious to me they were going to bottle it after recent form and injuries.

Now the league is cancelled and they get the league? feck that

SharpshooterTom

What about other leagues like La Liga?

Barcelona are 2 points clear of Real Madrid. Everyone has played 27 games.

Barcelona have a tougher run in than Real Madrid do, so that means those 27 games played so far aren't equal since Real Madrid have played more of those 'tougher' games up till this point.

Real Madrid are likely to be knocked off the CL are Barcelona probably will progress, meaning Real Madrid will have less distractions in the league run in.

Surely in those circumstances you couldn't award Barcelona the league?

SirAF

Ageist
Well if Liverpool do get the title it will be dampened by the fact that the league was never finished and they mathematically could still have been caught so we will still have that to rub in the scouser faces!
Exactly.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's not a perfect solution but how is it a better solution to tell those clubs to go at it again giving them no reward for for their efforts. Again, asking clubs like Wolves, Sheffiled to try and win European places again when their rivals will have the whole summer to build up their squads with much more money is a poor solution. For the teams that will be relegated, they have not been playing at a high level throughout the season so it isn't fair that those who deserve the reward to move up (championship clubs) don't get their due but those who have been poor get to keep the PL money and rewards despite not deserving it.

Also, how will you decide who gets to play in Europe? Based on the previous season so Spurs, who have been utter shite, get to play in the UCL again?
Football is business. Only us (fans) look at it like good old football. So any solution must have legal ground because clubs will NOT accept that they lose money despite is it fair, morale or whatever. Neither of those clubs care for Liverpool's big season.
So what has more legal ground? Voiding whole season or using current standings? You think that United, Spurs and relegation clubs will accept losing over 100 mil? Yeah right, sure they will do. Because it is "fair and morale" thing to do.

LInkash

I think regarding European football the only way to do it that would be sort of fair would be to just not have any European football next season.
If nobody has it then nobody is at a disadvantage.
Obviously this would still be rubbish for the likes of Wolves and Sheff Utd but to me it’s much fairer than having last seasons champions league teams get another go at it for free.
Obviously this would be bad for us too, I think given our form we’d have been likely to get champions league football and maybe win one or two of the trophies available to us, but it is what it is.
Hopefully they can finish the season even if it’s behind closed doors.
There's too much money in it for that to happen.

Maybe now is the perfect opportunity for that European Super League...

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So, what if they gave Liverpool the title despite the fact that they could be mathematically caught, started a new season, played 5 games and then an even bigger Corona outbreak occurred...?

They would then have to give whoever was at the top after 5 games a PL title.

My point is, where's the line drawn? It sets a dangerous precedent to start giving out trophies for unfinished campaigns.

If the entire population is being told to 'take it on the chin' by Boris Nonsense, meaning at least hundreds of thousands of humans will die, then Liverpool can deal with this. It's not a big deal.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
As Manchester United have won the league more than any other team surely they should be awarded the league title this season, no?

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
Does everyone here genuinely think Liverpool we’re going to win the league? It seemed obvious to me they were going to bottle it after recent form and injuries.

Now the league is cancelled and they get the league? feck that
I was about to rage on this post but then I saw your nickname.
I dont want no trophy given. I think thats bullshit. If you are still reachable by second place, then it cant be given. End of. I dont want our first PL title to be forever tainted in history. Ugh.
I do think that if the situation is so bad we cant resume the matches by, lets say, june/july, then void it. Even if we had the best start to a season EVER. That is going to hurt like hell, and it will never make sense for me, but do it.

Woodzy

So, what if they gave Liverpool the title despite the fact that they could be mathematically caught, started a new season, played 5 games and then an even bigger Corona outbreak occurred...?

They would then have to give whoever was at the top after 5 games a PL title.

My point is, where's the line drawn? It sets a dangerous precedent to start giving out trophies for unfinished campaigns.

If the entire population is being told to 'take it on the chin' by Boris Nonsense, meaning at least hundreds of thousands of humans will die, then Liverpool can deal with this. It's not a big deal.
Agreed. Just cancel it - it's horrible to a handful of teams that were odds on to achieve something, but a clean slate is the fairest way.