Liverpool aren't champions.

See.

iHicksy

A key difference is that after 5 games the team at the top of the league could be mathematically caught by every single team in the league, whereas after 29 games Liverpool are 25 points ahead of the only team that could catch them. Man City haven't won more than 4 league games in a row all season, so in all probability Man City wouldn't get 26 points from the remaining 30 and even if they did, Liverpool would get the 6 points they need from the remaining 27 available.

To suggest anything different to this is clutching at straws!
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter that only Man City can catch you. The fact is they can catch you. However unlikely, it could happen. Your comeback in Istanbul was unlikely, yet no one gets crowned the winners at half time do they? Probability doesn't matter. Only mathematics certainty matters. Now, it is very very unfair. But you simply can't go handing out titles based on odds and probability. No matter how likely. City would be well within their rights to sue the league, because it is possible they could win the title.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Finish the league even if it takes months.

Start next season later and make up time by cancelling League Cup and International friendlies. All winter breaks across all leagues cancelled too. sorted.

AaronRedDevil

Let’s say they cancel this whole season. Does the top 4 still get the CL next season? So united will be in it too considering City is banned. IF that’s stays where it is.

redmanc

I think the issue is if you make Liverpool champions it opens up a huge fecking debate about promotion and relegation from surrounding leagues, as much as Liverpool have ran away with it this season if they are crowned champions at this stage, the teams currently in relegation and promotion spots would rightly kick up a massive fuss, probably even legal action if they were not promoted, its a huge can of worms, can genuinely see the season being voided for this reason alone.

Judas

Open to offers
Let’s say they cancel this whole season. Does the top 4 still get the CL next season? So united will be in it too considering City is banned. IF that’s stays where it is.
If this season is cancelled, it means this season never happened. So it would go off last seasons final table. We wouldn't' be in the CL next season.

arnie_ni

No. It would revert to last years standings id imagine. Which would be arsenal who finished 5th

arnie_ni

I think the issue is if you make Liverpool champions it opens up a huge fecking debate about promotion and relegation from surrounding leagues, as much as Liverpool have ran away with it this season if they are crowned champions at this stage, the teams currently in relegation and promotion spots would rightly kick up a massive fuss, probably even legal action if they were not promoted, its a huge can of worms, can genuinely see the season being voided for this reason alone.
Yep. If liverpool are crowned champions that means every other league position in every other league has to be final as well. Meaning promotion and relegations positions which would be total uproar.

You cant make 2 rulings.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter that only Man City can catch you. The fact is they can catch you. However unlikely, it could happen. Your comeback in Istanbul was unlikely, yet no one gets crowned the winners at half time do they? Probability doesn't matter. Only mathematics certainty matters. Now, it is very very unfair. But you simply can't go handing out titles based on odds and probability. No matter how likely. City would be well within their rights to sue the league, because it is possible they could win the title.
But being 3-0 down at half time is not comparable!

A more realistic comparison would be if a team were 6-0 down with 5 minutes to play then the game got abandoned. If Liverpool were a few points clear then fine, but they are 25 points ahead!

Luckily it seems like the people that actually make the decisions have a lot more common sense.

Irwin99

The reality is that with the 29 games suggestion, some will have been lucky with the fixtures and some won't, it's absurd and completely unfair to everyone fighting to get top 4 or avoiding relegation. Mental idea
It's the fairest solution in my opinion in a situation where no result will be totally fair and acceptable for everyone. Whatever decision is made is going to piss off a lot of people.

From a United perspective, Sheffield could still lose/draw their game in hand and with City's CL ban coming in to effect it would mean CL football at 5th place. However, if Sheffield won that game you'd just have to hold your hand up and say we weren't good enough over the 29 games played. The fact that we've come into some good form now is unlucky but the situation in the world has drastically changed and we should have been better before this. It's the same principle for those in the relegation places. Everyone will have had an equal amount of games and It's not as if only 6 or 7 games have been played, we've played 3 quarters of the season. If you're in those relegation places you're there because you haven't done very well.

Obviously there will be an element of bad luck/good luck with the fixtures left but the teams can't argue too much with the league table as it stands. If they do then they should have done better. Again it's not fair but I don't see a situation that will please everyone.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Uefa is independent to the PL. My bet is they would take a ranking approach to see who should qualify for CL and who shouldn't.
So when it's a question of what should happen about the champions league spots incase of voiding the league, everyone says 'let UEFA decide' (essentially because there is no solution to that if you want to completely void the league) but when it comes to the league everyone thinks there should only be one solution :lol:

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I didn't know that assuptions and odds are valid in sports when you are deciding who wins what. :houllier:. I understand how you Liverpool fans feel. First title in 30 years so emotions are high but use some common sense ffs. To suggest that league is played only for Liverpool is ridiculous. There are 19 clubs more involved in this league. And they are all affected with this. So everything used for Liverpool will be used for other clubs.
Are you mathematically champions? NO! So giving you a title would be based on assumption. Which creates domino effect. We ( United) can say then that we are in best form in league and we would catch 3rd place. Norwich can say that they have more points in last 5 games then lets say West Ham and that they need to avoid relegation. SU have game in hand and can say that they would 100% win that game and finish above United. Some other club will say that they played more away games than home games. Etc...etc...

League have 38 games. All games must be played. If not, league is not valid. Simple as that.
Yeah, it sucks. It is not fair. Life is not fair. You are morale winners and shit like that. But if league will not be finished you are not valid winners. Except for you ( Liverpool fans).

IF FA decides to use current standings i fully expect from us, Spurs, Su, Wolves, Arsenal and some other clubs to make appeal on court. Canceling whole season is only logical thing to do
You are missing the point though. After 28/29 games the only thing in the league that looks 100% certain is that Liverpool will win it because they are so far clear.
There is no realistic argument that can be made to suggest that Liverpool wouldn't win the league now and you know it!

Everything else is up for debate. Its very close in the top four race and for relegation.

As far as I am concerned the best option is to wait until it is safe to start playing matches again (even if behind closed doors) and finish the season, however long it takes. Even if it causes a delay to the start of next season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No matter how close Liverpool have come to winning it, you cannot award a competition to a team that has not actually won it, as that then sets a precedent for locking in every other position in the league pyramid.

The way I see it, the only actual obligations we have are to provide European spots, and UEFA will likely default to their own rankings to decide them anyway. Perhaps any team still remaining in a competition could be awarded a spot for next season if they wouldn't otherwise qualify.

Liverpool are the only team to have mathematically secured themselves a CL spot for next season, so that's the only thing we can lock in from this season's results.

No promotions. No relegations.

If next season has to be delayed a bit, scrap the League Cup, and possibly even the FA Cup depending on how long the delay is.

You are missing the point though. After 28/29 games the only thing in the league that looks 100% certain is that Liverpool will win it because they are so far clear.
There is no realistic argument that can be made to suggest that Liverpool wouldn't win the league now and you know it!

Everything else is up for debate. Its very close in the top four race and for relegation.

As far as I am concerned the best option is to wait until it is safe to start playing matches again (even if behind closed doors) and finish the season, however long it takes. Even if it causes a delay to the start of next season.
It's not highly realistic, but given your recent form, it's not completely impossible that you did the ultimate bottle job. You've gone from being on course for a Treble winning, unbeaten season, to being convincingly knocked out of the FA Cup by Chelsea, tonked by Watford, and losing both legs of your CL tie against Atletico to be turfed out of that too.

Your last four victories have all been by a single goal, and came via a late own-goal against League One Shrewsbury in an FA Cup replay, a late goal against a relegation scrapping Norwich, a late goal to come from behind against a relegation scrapping West Ham, and coming from behind against a relegation scrapping Bournemouth.

Your next game would have been against Everton, and I don't need to tell you how much they'd be up for at least delaying your title celebrations. After that you were supposed to have City, who again, are more than capable of beating you. That takes you from needing two wins in nine to two wins in seven, having lost three of your last four Premier League games. Your run in would then include Chelsea and Arsenal still fighting for Champions League places, and Brighton, Aston Villa and Newcastle who are all fighting to stay up. Hell, even Burnley and Crystal Palace would't be easy fixtures, with both equally as likely to steal a European spot as they are to get sucked into the relegation fight.

iHicksy

You really are clueless. It's you that's missing the point because you're blinded by the fact you're a Liverpool fan. I'm not sure what it is with pool fans and the inability to apply logic to anything.

"Looks 100% certain" Doesn't matter.

There doesn't need to be a "realistic" argument made you numpty. You do not and can not be declared league winners until it is mathematically impossible for another team to do so.

It matters not one jot that it isn't "fair". You don't get awarded the league title based on what might happen. The fact is, Manchester City could catch you. It doesn't matter it's unlikely, we don't base football results off of how likely something is to happen. You and every other Liverpool fan needs to get it through their head the league doesn't owe you a trophy until you actually win it. You have not won it. Man City could still win it. We don't award trophies 3 quarters of the way through the season just because it looks like you'll win. I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. No matter how unlikely, Liverpool could collapse and City could win the league. It doesn't matter that it's more unlikely, it is still possible. Until it's mathematically impossible you cannot be crowned champions. The world doesn't revolve around you and what you want, nothing does.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's pretty simple.

You try and play games out if at all possible.

If it's obviously going too late in the year, say beyond July, then you have to void it. Otherwise you're making next season a farce on top of this season being unfortunate. Ideas like only playing half the league games, or scrapping cups just surely water everything down.
With Euro 2020 bound to move to Euro 2021, that's even more reason why you can't cut too far into next season, as there's no breathing room in summer 2021.

There can't be any situation where you can't play games and just decide to award a title to Liverpool because of their lead. There's still 1/4 of the season to go.
If you did that, you'd have to award every other position as it stands, which obviously becomes an absolute bastad as it's so tight, there's games in hand etc.

If they awarded Liverpool the league, but made a couple of other teams play one off season deciders, it'd just be baffling.

djembatheking

Does everyone here genuinely think Liverpool we’re going to win the league? It seemed obvious to me they were going to bottle it after recent form and injuries.

Now the league is cancelled and they get the league? feck that
Thats how I see it too . They looked mentally and physically shot against Atletico and I reckon they would have lost to Everton on the monday which would have been a crushing blow as they never lose to Everton. As it is now we will never know as the break has given them time to recharge. I`m gutted as I honestly think it could have been the greatest bottle job ever.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
No matter how close Liverpool have come to winning it, you cannot award a competition to a team that has not actually won it, as that then sets a precedent for locking in every other position in the league pyramid.

The way I see it, the only actual obligations we have are to provide European spots, and UEFA will likely default to their own rankings to decide them anyway. Perhaps any team still remaining in a competition could be awarded a spot for next season if they wouldn't otherwise qualify.

Liverpool are the only team to have mathematically secured themselves a CL spot for next season, so that's the only thing we can lock in from this season's results.

No promotions. No relegations.

If next season has to be delayed a bit, scrap the League Cup, and possibly even the FA Cup depending on how long the delay is.

It's not highly realistic, but given your recent form, it's not completely impossible that you did the ultimate bottle job. You've gone from being on course for a Treble winning, unbeaten season, to being convincingly knocked out of the FA Cup by Chelsea, tonked by Watford, and losing both legs of your CL tie against Atletico to be turfed out of that too.

Your last four victories have all been by a single goal, and came via a late own-goal against League One Shrewsbury in an FA Cup replay, a late goal against a relegation scrapping Norwich, a late goal to come from behind against a relegation scrapping West Ham, and coming from behind against a relegation scrapping Bournemouth.

Your next game would have been against Everton, and I don't need to tell you how much they'd be up for at least delaying your title celebrations. After that you were supposed to have City, who again, are more than capable of beating you. That takes you from needing two wins in nine to two wins in seven, having lost three of your last four Premier League games. Your run in would then include Chelsea and Arsenal still fighting for Champions League places, and Brighton, Aston Villa and Newcastle who are all fighting to stay up. Hell, even Burnley and Crystal Palace would't be easy fixtures, with both equally as likely to steal a European spot as they are to get sucked into the relegation fight.
So you think Man City are going to win all ten of their remaining league games despite not having won more than 4 in a row all season and having lost 2 of their last 4?

See it works both ways. Even if Liverpool lost all of their next 9 games (despite only losing 2 of their last 67+ league games) City are on course to get less than the 82 points Liverpool have locked in.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
at least you’re consistent. I’m the opposite, I think it should just all be voided without any official declaration of champions. Too many variables to be comfortable with an outcome that awards a domestic leagues grandest prize to the “would be” winners. Messes up 10 in a row aswell
A gap of 6-8 points or so and with 2 Old Firm games remaining it would be up for grabs. A 10-point gap is probably insurmountable.

Liverpool's lead of 25 points is as cut and dried as it can be, any other outcome than a Liverpool title win is complete nonsense IMO.

Marooned

Games will continue once Corona is contained, all the fixtures will be played, I really can't see the season being called off. Considering the world cup 2022 December/January break, all European leagues may do some rotations on season start/end times.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
So you think Man City are going to win all ten of their remaining league games despite not having won more than 4 in a row all season and having lost 2 of their last 4?

See it works both ways. Even if Liverpool lost all of their next 9 games (despite only losing 2 of their last 67+ league games) City are on course to get less than the 82 points Liverpool have locked in.
No, I don't, but the point is that we can't say for certain that it wouldn't happen.

You haven't mathematically won the league, therefore you cannot be awarded the title.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

The main issue is that many of Liverpool fans (including you) are ignoring the cascading effect it'll have on the rest of the league. You can decide the league on basis of GW27 table, which would make Liverpool champions. But, it fecks over 5-6 clubs who were in a shout of finishing in CL/EL spots. You can even say there will be no relegation, but then how do you decide how many teams come up through championship? None, or Top 2? What would happen to those teams who would've played in play-offs? Or you change the rule in between and say only 2 teams would be promoted this season? Using an unfinished league as final tally will have an effect which trinkles down to several leagues below the PL.

So, stop thinking it from only your perspective and spend some time for a moment how it'll affect 100s of other clubs. A rule has to be universal, and applicable to everyone equally. What you're asking will have the completely opposite effect. Current season should only have some bearing if they can find a way to finish it completely. If it can't be finished, it has to be declared, null and void in addition to rest of the leagues as well as club competitions.

redmanc

I dont think they will want to impact the start of the next season by delaying this one for months on end, best to write it off and draw a line under it even if its comically unjust on the scousers, the ramifications of giving them the title impacts the relegation and promotions in other leagues far too greatly.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If it were Man city on the brink of winning the league title would the media be just as vocal?
My assumption would be probably not. And i am trying to take all my biases out of this as much as i can. I say probably not because they've obviously won it before so it's not as novel. There's also a "romanticism" about Liverpool wining it (hasten to add, i absolutely don't feel this way about it just to make that very clear) from media types as it hasn't happened for so fecking long. It's really quite pathetic. Out of all the possible ramifications that could happen if the football in this country is cancelled, this is much lower down the list.

UncleBob

It's the fairest solution in my opinion in a situation where no result will be totally fair and acceptable for everyone. Whatever decision is made is going to piss off a lot of people.

From a United perspective, Sheffield could still lose/draw their game in hand and with City's CL ban coming in to effect it would mean CL football at 5th place. However, if Sheffield won that game you'd just have to hold your hand up and say we weren't good enough over the 29 games played. The fact that we've come into some good form now is unlucky but the situation in the world has drastically changed and we should have been better before this. It's the same principle for those in the relegation places. Everyone will have had an equal amount of games and It's not as if only 6 or 7 games have been played, we've played 3 quarters of the season. If you're in those relegation places you're there because you haven't done very well.

Obviously there will be an element of bad luck/good luck with the fixtures left but the teams can't argue too much with the league table as it stands. If they do then they should have done better. Again it's not fair but I don't see a situation that will please everyone.
Unless it's mathematically impossible that your league position will change, it doesn't really fecking matter as the season isn't 29 matches long, it's 38. It really doesn't matter, in any way whatsoever, that Leicester or Chelsea have done well to be in 3rd and 4th after 29 matches, when their remaining matches are difficult and they could both easily find themselves outside the top 4. The same goes for the bottom teams...."Nah, look here, we're well aware that you could've easily finished outside of relegation / inside the top 4, but you were there after 29 matches and we really want to give Liverpool the title"

Any Manchester United supporter, or supporter of any other team than Liverpool, should find the nearest wall, preferably a brick wall, and ram their face into it for even thinking it would be fair to conclude the league after 29 matches and accepting this as the final league position.

It's rather fecking simple. The remaining matches won't be played, there's a massive disaster on the way and the UK reckons they'll handle it by keeping calm and carrying on, mint..There's the june contract situations and the transfer window, and there's no simple way around that. The league must be concluded as null and void, with no teams being relegated, and they will then need to promote teams from the championship and extend the league.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
At this stage i dont give a shit who wins the PL.

Next two weeks are expected to be awful in Ireland.

Josep Dowling

Making a run for the Polish border as it closes at midnight. People crying in the street. I’ve been separated from my friend and been put on seperate buses. Things have got scary now. Hopefully we can fly home from Berlin.

RedCurry

I'm not averse to this idea (in the Telegraph) that every team in PL would retain their place, top two from the Championship promoted for a 22 team league next season with 5 relegated. As well as expanding the qualifiers for the CL to include more teams who are currently in a bit of a grey area, such as ourselves.

The least bad idea I've heard so far.
They just cannot make arbitrary rules like that. We will either see the league resume at some point, completely cancelled and voided, or in the most controversial case every team in current position is treated as if they finished in that position. I just don’t see any other scenario playing out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Oh, bloody hell. Are you fecking with us? If you are then ok, i can accept it. But if not then logic is not your biggest strength.
Again ( and again and again); it doesn't matter how small chances are for City catching you. The fact is that they can catch you. So you are not mathematically champions. And in sport you can't get title (or win or anything) based on odds or assuption. How is that hard to understand ffs?

On top of that league has 38 games. 38 games must be played to league becomes legit. Even if you have lead of 40 points after 37 games, you are still not a champions. Because it is not and i repeat, league is not only about you. Do you understand that only few points seperate clubs of missing CL or not, being relegated or not. They will for sure say that they want to play all 38 games (which is by the bloody rules).

Gasolin

In NYC, it's a mix of 9/11 and Sandy now. Stores are starting to get empty for toilet papers, pasta and rice. Meat too. The shelves seem to get stocked for now, albeit slowly.
Now that we are all asked to work from home, I wonder what will be our lives... any good Netflix show to recommend?

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
How about we finish the season playing Fifa, all players take their positions on Club Pro.