Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some lower league clubs could be in trouble in the next couple of weeks - no season ticket sales for next season.
Yep. While I think there's no chance this season will continue indefinitely, season tickets are one hell of an issue.

Clubs like to get those in around May, but who on earth is going to buy one if there's no guarantee a season will start anytime near August, will have the usual set of games, or won't be affected by a return of this virus menace again.

I wonder what clubs will do about the unused games if it's all voided too?
I hold season tickets at 2 clubs, with 2 at United. I'd probably let the smaller one keep it, but i'd not be happy losing £320 for the United ones!

ti vu

Some lower league clubs could be in trouble in the next couple of weeks - no season ticket sales for next season.
World economy already taken the hit. Even if you try to have everything plan out (impossible with no vaccine in sight), have next season ticket sales for next season, your revenue wouldn’t be the same. People’s jobs are unstable. Very few would want to pay an huge amount of money up front for season ticket.

It’s just running in circle with this discussion when one doesn’t look at the bigger picture. Football matter is just a dot in this picture of the world.

Snuffkin

There are only two solutions.

1. Finish the season, even if that means playing it in July and August.

2. Cancel season and declare it void.
2. Shit happens. Sorry scouse but I've no sympathy. It will be them smelly bindippers not washing their hands that's caused this.

TheReligion

Abusive
agree logistics are a nightmare but I think they value integrity of the leagues above some extra logistical tasks. I’m encouraged by what I heard tonight on sky. Sounds like a lot of clubs want to finish it.
I get that they may want to but that counts for nothing if it gets to a point where it's not possible and unfortunately what's going on in the world suggests it simply won't be.

With all the will in the world a point will come when it's simply not viable. You can surely understand that?

ti vu

Yep. While I think there's no chance this season will continue indefinitely, season tickets are one hell of an issue.

Clubs like to get those in around May, but who on earth is going to buy one if there's no guarantee a season will start anytime near August, will have the usual set of games, or won't be affected by a return of this virus menace again.

I wonder what clubs will do about the unused games if it's all voided too?
I hold season tickets at 2 clubs, with 2 at United. I'd probably let the smaller one keep it, but i'd not be happy losing £320 for the United ones!
It would need to be refunded. They’re waiting on final decisions from sports associations. And these associations take one step at a time following government announcement. They don’t want to stir a social unrest.

For example: even if they know the global pandemic would last until the end of this year from the government, they would not want to open the can of worm. Suspending the season with several short consecutive periods, before making a final call based on government announcement is the way to go.

They are just sports officials, not politicians, and governors. These positions with sports Association are gained from relationship and know how. Once you lose the trust, you’re out.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
The government have basically cancelled all sport for the foreseeable today. No mass gatherings = no sport.

I'm not sure how people think we are just going to suddenly shoehorn the rest of the season in.

GTF with your double-standards & hypocrisy. I've never seen so many laughter emoticons used in threads relating to people dying. Most coming from your fans I have to say.
what an appalling post. There’s no one laughing about anyone dying. The situation with Liverpool not winning the league though, is unbelievably hilarious

Yes but you’ll have 0% chance if it’s voided. Surely some chance is better? If I’m not mistaken you haven’t went two consecutive seasons without CL since the start of the PL.
who cares. Football doesn’t matter. Couldn’t care less about the CL next year. Far more important is the health of the nation, not finding any excuse to finish off a league season just so Liverpool can win the league. Do yiu

Of course I understand teams want to protect their own interests. But it’s about integrity and fairness. Every team signs up to a full season of home and away against all teams.
bollocks. You and every Liverpool fan have a massive agenda, and it’s understandable. But when you look at it rationally (oh the irony), then if we can’t finish the season by 30 June, it’s far more logical to abandon this season and start the new season when we can at some point later in 2020.

sp_107

Give another 2 months and resume it in May once things get back to normal,
As there wont be any EURO cups, EPL can schedule 2 games a week so remaining matches can be finished by June15( players will have 2 months off before new season)

If the virus gets more dangerous and by May situation doesnt come under control then declare this season as void.

I want second thing but dont like to wish severe impact on people lives just to laugh at Liverpool.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I get that they may want to but that counts for nothing if it gets to a point where it's not possible and unfortunately what's going on in the world suggests it simply won't be.

With all the will in the world a point will come when it's simply not viable. You can surely understand that?
I accept that there are major hurdles to overcome to finish the season. There is no doubt about that. But do you accept that IF those hurdles can be overcome finishing the season is the best solution from a fairness and integrity perspective?
If it’s voided teams at top and in European places will be at the very least unhappy but some will undoubtedly launch legal action.
If it’s frozen and today’s placings are final then legal action will come from relegation teams as well as some at the top. (Hearts have already confirmed they will do this.)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The government have basically cancelled all sport for the foreseeable today. No mass gatherings = no sport.

I'm not sure how people think we are just going to suddenly shoehorn the rest of the season in.
The bans will come, for now it's all "advice" not to gather, while they work on pulling through the legislation to ban it properly!

I suppose some Pool fans are clinging to the hop that they can play football out behind close doors. But as some of the players are saying, what sort of football is that. It can work for a game or two, but it's moved on from that being an option the second players started getting ill.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The bans will come, for now it's all "advice" not to gather, while they work on pulling through the legislation to ban it properly!

I suppose some Pool fans are clinging to the hop that they can play football out behind close doors. But as some of the players are saying, what sort of football is that. It can work for a game or two, but it's moved on from that being an option the second players started getting ill.
I think the development from the Valencia team proves that there is no way this will be played behind closed doors. There doesn't seem to be a safe way to do it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I accept that there are major hurdles to overcome to finish the season. There is no doubt about that. But do you accept that IF those hurdles can be overcome finishing the season is the best solution from a fairness and integrity perspective?
If it’s voided teams at top and in European places will be at the very least unhappy but some will undoubtedly launch legal action.
If it’s frozen and today’s placings are final then legal action will come from relegation teams as well as some at the top. (Hearts have already confirmed they will do this.)
Club allegiance aside, the long and short of it, is of COURSE it's best to finish a season off.
But not under any circumstances.

It just looks impossible to resolve at the moment. Originally "closed doors" seemed the obvious way, then players started getting ill, so that's off the agenda.

Then the real fear is that you curb the spread with some really dramatic measures, but once those measures are removed it comes back!

When football is back, we need to know it's here to stay. That means it'll likely be even later than any of us fear.

ti vu

National state of emergency. The sports Associations follow the governments’ advices. Good luck with those legal cases and reason.

Toad

Couldn’t give a shit about a bloody game at the moment. Too many people now caught up in whether Liverpool should be handed the title when there are thousands of imminent deaths across the world, fecking pathetic really. I’m more worried about how the majority of us are going to afford our bills rather than the rich and famous not getting handed luxuries.

spiriticon

Unfortunately the money lost for FIFA/UEFA/FA/Sky/BT in missing out the WHOLE of next season outweighs that which is earned by finishing the last third of this season.

Unless all of Europe and FIFA can coordinate all leagues to finish in a specified time for the start of next season (whenever that is but probably no more than a couple of months delay) and also not have too many knock on effects for the seasons after, then it just makes economical sense to scrap this one.

It will be the money that decides in the end, not a sporting decision.

ti vu

Couldn’t give a shit about a bloody game at the moment. Too many people now caught up in whether Liverpool should be handed the title when there are thousands of imminent deaths across the world, fecking pathetic really. I’m more worried about how the majority of us are going to afford our bills rather than the rich and famous not getting handed luxuries.
I don’t think there are too many. Just a few which refused to see senses.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I can see them finishing the season at some point for the simple fact that the broadcasters have a 38 game TV deal with the PL...they are going to lose a load of money through lost advertising revenue and cancelled subscriptions and will no doubt be after that money back from the Premier League if a quarter of the season is written off. Regardless of what the supporters want I think that will clinch it as they are so reliant on each other.

spiriticon

I can see them finishing the season at some point for the simple fact that the broadcasters have a 38 game TV deal with the PL...they are going to lose a load of money through lost advertising revenue and cancelled subscriptions and will no doubt be after that money back from the Premier League if a quarter of the season is written off. Regardless of what the supporters want I think that will clinch it as they are so reliant on each other.
But will they agree to cancel all of next season's revenue just to earn a third of this season's?

Not sure that makes sense.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
But will they agree to cancel all of next season's revenue just to earn a third of this season's?

Not sure that makes sense.
Next season's will be renegotiated if there are changes to the format, no? If next season is going to be totally cancelled then this season ain't finishing either.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Costs will just have to be eaten like you know, the rest of the world.

ti vu

As if people wouldn’t just unsubscribe because world economy recession, and football would be a lower priority.

What about the next season?

You’re missing a lot of “they” here. What about the whole population? Governments?

spiriticon

Next season's will be renegotiated if there are changes to the format, no? If next season is going to be totally cancelled then this season ain't finishing either.
I think the only way for this season to continue is if they cancel next season. And thinking about it, I don't think they will cancel next season because it just doesn't make money sense. So that means this season will have to finish before August really, and I think that is very difficult to achieve in the current state of things.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Sorry but I don’t agree.

This issue is an ‘act of god’ - something that affects the here and now. Something that could not be accounted for beforehand, its purely bad luck for the teams that feel aggrieved.

Regardless of what teams would effectively be forced to agree to for next season, subsequent seasons should not be effected or we are just prolonging the impact.

For a start nobody knows how long this pandemic will continue and how soon it will fade to an acceptable level to resume playing.

What if the virus starts to lessen and you have a large proportion of players who still don’t feel comfortable playing again until the virus is totally disappeared? That is likely to be months and months away.

You can’t expect players to risk playing until they are totally in the clear, never mind factoring in players who play for teams that would benefit from not playing again this season (which is a can of worms in itself.)
I'm not getting how 'subsequent seasons should not be affected' yet you've stated there are various reasons why they will be affected by matters outwith anybody's control. Surely therefore you agree that it is sensible to plan for a shortened season next year?

TheReligion

Abusive
Of course I accept in an ideal world the season would get finished (United stand a chance of two trophies and CL qualification) but I don't accept it needs to be finished at all costs.

You've just said it yourself. Voiding the season will upset everyone equally but no one can be accused of being treated unfairly. No one would win the league, no one would be relegated. The next season would start a fresh. Obviously it's far from ideal but I'm not sure why you can see why it's fair and prevents mass unsolvable complications.

James Ward

I would say its a given that the cups are cancelled.

Just play out the league for two months and give the players a months off in the summer. They have a long rest now as well so a month should be fine.

Euro's won't go ahead.

spiriticon

I would say its a given that the cups are cancelled.

Just play out the league for two months and give the players a months off in the summer. They have a long rest now as well so a month should be fine.

Euro's won't go ahead.
We're already at the quarters of the FA Cup. It's not exactly a big chunk of time gained by cancelling it. A week or two at most.

We're already at the quarters of the FA Cup. It's not exactly a big chunk of time gained by cancelling it. A week or two at most.
It’s a ridiculous notion to cherry pick which competitions you proceed with - again the Liverpool bias. THE LEAGUE MIST BE COMPLETED AT ALL COSTS!

why should teams in the FA cup suffer? Indeed, it would be quicker just to complete the FA cup, and not bother with the league. That’s ridiculous logic of course to prove the point.

you also have to fit the championship, L1 and, L2 playoffs in if your finishing the league. We are not going to have the time to do it.

James Ward

Yea suppose the FA cup would be grand. Anyone's with international travel should be banned.

Devil may care

The amount of petty shit around this situation is crazy, the easiest thing to do is to hope that things have returned to some sort of normality come August and we can start the new season, yes some will have lost opportunities including us, and they should probably suspend transfers as well, but at the end of the day a clean slate makes more sense than jacking up another season just to finish this one.

spiriticon

Yea suppose the FA cup would be grand. Anyone's with international travel should be banned.
If there is an all clear in Europe to restart competitions, I'd like to see someone convincing UEFA to cancel their cash cow... :lol:

It will have to be all competitions restarted, top to bottom. And there needs to be time to fit it all in.

We'll see. August is a while away yet.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Has anyone got a link to the gif of the subtitled discussion in which the bloke is being told the league is cancelled and then starts dancing?

Slysi17

Why don't they play the rest of the Europa league/champions league instead of going on a pre season tour. Winner of Europa league gets champions league football. Also the premier league teams play their game in hand like Sheffield United. Some left field thinking needs to be done get the season finished if possible.

caid

I'd consider delaying the next season to finish this tbh. Its just easier and more realistic to get through a 10 game schedule than a 40 game one. Getting through a 40 game schedule might not be possible next year

RUCK4444

I'm not getting how 'subsequent seasons should not be affected' yet you've stated there are various reasons why they will be affected by matters outwith anybody's control. Surely therefore you agree that it is sensible to plan for a shortened season next year?
Sorry but that’s not what I said.

I said this is a freak situation that is an act of god. That this should only therefore affect the season in which it occurred.

Why on Earth should we fundamentally change the structure of next season? No matter how it is resolved it should only affect the season in which this act of god occurred.

I don’t care how it’s resolved, even give Liverpool the title if need be, but let’s not prolong this mess longer than need be.

Frankly I would cancel the season as it stands, like in Golf, play it as it lies.

It’s not the FA’s fault, not UEFA’s, like I say it’s an act of god, nobody is responsible so the governing bodies just need to take that hard line approach and tell the teams ‘hard luck lads, chin up and get on with it next season.’