Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Uefa having their meeting today, right? Anyone know what time that is? I know it doesn't cover the domestic leagues, but it may give us an idea of what could happen to them.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Uefa having their meeting today, right? Anyone know what time that is? I know it doesn't cover the domestic leagues, but it may give us an idea of what could happen to them.
Seems like UEFA are going to tell the associations that they want the domestic leagues to be finished by June. Utter lunacy from UEFA but we've come to expect that from these charlatans.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Seems like UEFA are going to tell the associations that they want the domestic leagues to be finished by June. Utter lunacy from UEFA but we've come to expect that from these charlatans.
Where have you read this? I haven't read too much on it so may have missed it

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So this is on the Sky Sports website in regards to the UEFA meeting:

UEFA have now finished their first conference call with the European Club Association and European Leagues. They merged both calls into one this morning, having initially intended to do them separately.

Their next call is with the 55 member associations, due to take place at midday. The UEFA Executive Committee call will be last, with a final decision expected this afternoon.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wow. So, religion/faith remains to be uncritically accepted or if you disagree you must remain silent or else be punished by the Caf moderators?

This kind of attitude in itself is a reason to reject it. But it’s for a different thread.
It's more you totally unnecessarily thinking you can insult others views just because you haven't heard of an expression.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Makes sense if it's more "have to be finished by end of june or voided" situation.

philipos

Wow. So, religion/faith remains to be uncritically accepted or if you disagree you must remain silent or else be punished by the Caf moderators?

This kind of attitude in itself is a reason to reject it. But it’s for a different thread.
The name Sad Chris says it all !!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Are you a clown? It has nothing to do with religion, it is a phrase used in legal terms. With regards to peoples religions etc yes you should wind your neck in, one thing to have a different opinion another to say people deserve ridicule.

Steve Bruce

I think it's one thing disagreeing or not believing in a religion/faith it's another when it's being disrespected.

I'm personally not a christian & church is the last place I would think of going, but I respect those who have their faith even if I don't understand or agree with it.

I live and let live, I'm not here to troll people with a different outlook in life.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This quote in the Telegraph regarding the UEFA meeting seems mad. The bit in bold, in particular.

Europe’s governing body also want the Champions League and Europa League to be completed and believe all leagues across Europe should restart at the same time.

That will spark more fears that the season may have to be declared void if the coronavirus outbreak makes it impossible for clubs to complete their fixture lists by June 30.
I can's see how this happens when you consider the uncertainty of what is going on at the moment, and the fact that some countries are being more affected by this virus than others. I just don't see how it's feasible to have all leagues across Europe being played at the same time AND by June 30th.

Pagh Wraith

If we want to be back to playing sooner rather later, then what cannot continue is isolating entire teams every time one player gets infected. Everyone has to be clear about this. If this policy continues, we will indeed not see football for some time.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Euros postponed.

Now we have the false hope that the season can be finished in May,June and early July.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
If we want to be back to playing sooner rather later, then what cannot continue is isolating entire teams every time one player gets infected. Everyone has to be clear about this. If this policy continues, we will indeed not see football for some time.
Valencia have 35% of the staff infected, almost all without any symptoms.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/spa...of-squadstaff-tested-positive-for-coronavirus

How could that be workable if there is any hope to contain the virus?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Does that mean players have been training as normal without any impact to their performance? Could it be Uefa will want players of different teams to not worry about infecting each other but isolate themselves from the rest of their communities/relatives to avoid onward infection? And obviously putting Woy in storage.

Stacks

This 21 year old footballer from Spain has also died from Coronavirus, in part due to Leukaemia which he didn't know he had. Europes youngest known victim. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-footballer-dies-coronavirus-aged-21701067

Obviously completing the season or not is a higher priority to some then peoples lives. Also, the fantasy that we will somehow start again in May is hilarious, considering no cure is likely for a year. Even if it goes away later in year it is likely to return & sport will be stopped again
those with Leukemia typically die from diseases a healthy human can handle e.g. Pneumonia.

Guy Incognito

I still think the idea people have of finishing the season in the summer is beyond wishful thinking, based on nothing but desperation more than logic.
Coronavirus will hit its peak in May/June, so if Britain is on lockdown there's no chance stadiums will be open.

The only way I can see games continuing is BCD.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Does that mean players have been training as normal without any impact to their performance? Could it be Uefa will want players of different teams to not worry about infecting each other but isolate themselves from the rest of their communities/relatives to avoid onward infection? And obviously putting Woy in storage.
I can see it now.

Team A needs to avoid defeat stay in CL places/avoid relegation.

Medical tests confirm half the squad have it. Can't play.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why on Earth should we fundamentally change the structure of next season? No matter how it is resolved it should only affect the season in which this act of god occurred.... but let’s not prolong this mess longer than need be.
I'm largely in agreement with you, every 'solution' I've heard so far, involves cancelling the European Championships, cancelling the Europa League, cancelling the Champions League, cancelling the FA Cup, cancelling the transfer window, disrupting next season's leagues and cup competitions too, and all for the sake of completing this one league season.

Also, many of these 'solutions' are relying on an almighty leap of faith by assuming that the virus will have passed by the end of suspension, and that the remainder of the season can be resumed in April or May.
What if we get to July, the season has not be able to resume, and the virus is worse than ever?

To me, the most logical 'solution' is to cancel this season and hope that a new league season can begin in August.
Its by far the least disruptive course of action.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I know, but just so very sad, & at his age. Still more important than caring about when the season restarts.
It is very sad. I'm trying to block it out but not block it out. Otherwise I'll just be crying all the time. If my brother and dad were alive to make it to 2020 I know I would probably be burying them both over the next 12 months. Worried for my mum, but still trying to remain positive.

sp_107

This means EPL can be played until June/July to conclude the season?

What about clubs pre-season money?
What about players contracts end by June?
What about players fitness if they have 2 months break and resume the season to play remaining 9 matches?
Does SKY/BT accept these changes as people will be on holidays and they may not make much money on matches being played in holiday period? (least worried case though)

You guys think of any other issues if this season extends until July after a 2 month break ?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Coronavirus will hit its peak in May/June, so if Britain is on lockdown there's no chance stadiums will be open.

The only way I can see games continuing is BCD.
Based on what? You haven't got a clue about that. If you don't know facts about the virus or it's repercussions please don't say anything at all.

Guy Incognito

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Could be 2021/2022 before the football resumes and a good number of us will be dead.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...il-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

I'm going what Public Health England predict. Sure, no one knows how long it will last, but in the UK it's obvious the coming weeks it will rise here.
"Could last until next spring" is not "will hit it's peak in May/June".

It also suggests that health chiefs are braced for as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the coronavirus over that time.
You always have to prepare for the absolute worst even though you only suspect the chances of it happening are very small.

I don't think a document which was "seen" by the Guardian and left to them to disclose without the guidelines of expert is information to go on. Better to read news from countries that have transparancies on the issue.

Guy Incognito

"Could last until next spring" is not "will hit it's peak in May/June".

You always have to prepare for the absolute worst even though you only suspect the chances of it happening are very small.

I don't think a document which was "seen" by the Guardian and left to them to disclose without the guidelines of expert is information to go on. Better to read news from countries that have transparancies on the issue.
Yet further down the article:

"Experts advising governments worldwide on the way epidemics grow and eventually decline say there will be a rapid rise in cases to a peak – and then a falling off. Whitty, who has seen the modelling done by UK and global scientists, says the case numbers will go up fast over the next 10 to 14 weeks.

That will mean a peak at around the end of May to mid-June, when the NHS will be under great pressure."

I'd rather more information like this was in the public domain than not; it's hardly 'speculating' or being irresponsible.

Flying high

We need to see a downward trajectory for the virus for at least a month or two before starting football again can be considered.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I don't give a feck about football if its saving lives, which is undoubtedly is.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
@Steve Bruce @Cassidy @philipos @Sandikan @RUCK4444 @Halftrack @redshaw

I’m not trolling. Religion has been disrespectful toward humanity for as long as it exists. To stand up for it and to demand or expect it or its followers to be respected, when we have the luxury of information and knowledge at our fingertips is unacceptable for me.

Again, I don’t need lecturing or advice, thanks. I’m open for a critical discussion, but I’m not going to beat around the bush. So feel free to ignore me if you feel offended for yourself or others.
What has that got to do with "act of God" being a legal term which has nothing to do with religion. You literally brought religion into it for no reason

RUCK4444

I’m not trolling. Religion has been disrespectful toward humanity for as long as it exists. To stand up for it and to demand or expect it or its followers to be respected, when we have the luxury of information and knowledge at our fingertips is unacceptable for me.

Again, I don’t need lecturing or advice, thanks. I’m open for a critical discussion, but I’m not going to beat around the bush. So feel free to ignore me if you feel offended for yourself or others.
You’ve obviously got issues.

You brought up religion, nobody else, and in your first sentence regarding religion you chose to mock people for ‘talking to imaginary friends.’

Like I said earlier, you are having an absolute mare in this thread, so far you have shown yourself to be uneducated and ignorant.

You are the one mocking and ironically pushing your own views/beliefs on others here. Show some respect to others and you might get some in return.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's less offended and more embarrassed about your ignorance and total irrelevance of comment versus the thread we're in.
You're clearly got some previous bitterness.

So instead of the whole set of people you're telling to ignore you, why don't you take your stuff elsewhere?

philipos

And atheism hasn’t been disrespectful towards humanity!!!!

Inter Yer Nan

Season should be voided. It's clearly going to be three months minimum and then two months of football so a season ending in September with a Euro's to play in June 2021? I know the footballers get paid a lot but it's unfair having them all sit around indefinitely and/or working them to the ground. Players/teams with nothing to play for are far more common than teams with something to play for.