Supports
There's only one United!
Shane88 said:
Liverpool will go to court. They're not gonna let this slip

Ha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha and hahaha too. :D

buchansleftleg

Shane88 said:
Liverpool will go to court. They're not gonna let this slip

Your honour, we didn't win the league, we think you should ignore this and award us the league.
Null and void basically stops any legal action being possible. All contracts and contractual obligations are "frustrated" and any legal claim will be a waste of money.

The only basis of a claim would be that the decision was deliberately biased for some reason.

In the face of large numbers of body bags and police actions to control unrest it would be a very brave decision to fight it in court.

stevoc

I mentioned plenty of times afterwards that those teams that have 28 matches (City, Villa, S.United and Arsenal) can complete their one game behind closed doors at a later point so that everyone has an even number of matches.
So resume the season just to play two games?

Seems unlikely and a bit pointless but ok then in that scenario how many home games will every team have played, will all that be equal?

Have all teams in the bottom 10 played the same amount of games against the top 10?

Conversely have all the teams in the top ten played the same amount of games vs the bottom 10?

On and on the ramifications go, anyway you try to end the season early it's unfair on one team or another. The Premier League and Champions League offers teams serious amounts of money for participation. If a teams loses out on Europe or is relegated then they will sue.

If the league cannot be resumed in a reasonable time frame then the only fair route to take is to void the entire thing and revert back to the standings from the season before. The only situation comparable to this current crisis that football has faced in the past was war. And back then the season was abandoned and made null and void also.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Due to the bolded part I'm assuming that means they'd essentially be calling the league table final minus the relegation's? I.e Liverpool champions, Leicester in the CL etc?

Although I don't see why the CL places would need to be "expanded". If the season ended today you'd be in it anyway due to City being banned and you being 5th. Although I'm sure Sheffield United would have a gripe with that given they can go 5th with their game in hand. So in that sense it's unfair and the top leagues in Europe already have enough CL places as it is.
The expanded bit is just to allow all the teams vying for a spot to compete in qualifiers, so no one can say they weren't given a chance. Of course, it comes with its own complications (i.e. different playing squads from the summer window onwards) but every single version has some downside to it.

That is just solution for PL, and it doesn’t really solve the problem of CL, and EL qualifications. It just adds more games with while how this pandemic looks, you can‘t schedule for next season season anytime soon.

What about the EURO? The longer it is delayed the messier the football world look. It’s an international tournament. Some players are at the end of their careers. It’s supposed to be hosted before the new season. It’s a more pressing issue than clubs’ qualification for next year UEFA competitions. See the irony? Those same competitions can be cancelled too as we‘re seeing with this season...
Of course we don't when a new season can begin. This is all hypothetical. But you still need a plan, and probably more than a few. From the point of view that this will dampen down over the next 4-5 months it seems to make sense to postpone the Euros for a year and scrap the cups next season to create more space to catch up, whatever needs catching up.

Ludens the Red

The symptom, outbreak delayed by the characteristic of the virus may not have an immediate effect. The aftermath once the symptoms kicks in is. There is not enough resources to care for that many people with disease that has no cure. Even testing are not sufficient supplied hence national emergency status.

Ask any Italian doctors, and you would know.
Think you’ve missed my point. I’m saying in a large crowd it wouldn’t spread as a domino effect, people seem to think it will. As in I get the feeling they think if one person coughs the person next to him immediately gets it and then coughs and then it makes it’s way round this large group of people literally like a domino.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Making a run for the Polish border as it closes at midnight. People crying in the street. I’ve been separated from my friend and been put on seperate buses. Things have got scary now. Hopefully we can fly home from Berlin.
You’ve changed your tune. Hope you manage to get home.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

Seems unlikely and a bit pointless but ok then in that scenario how many home games will every team have played, will all that be equal?

Have all teams in the bottom 10 played the same amount of games against the top 10?

Conversely have all the teams in the top ten played the same amount of games vs the bottom 10?

On and on the ramifications go, anyway you try to end the season early it's unfair on one team or another. The Premier League and Champions League offers teams serious amounts of money for participation. If a teams loses out on Europe or is relegated then they will sue.

If the league cannot be resumed in a reasonable time frame then the only fair route to take is to void the entire thing and revert back to the standings from the season before. The only situation comparable to this current crisis that football has faced in the past was war. And back then the season was abandoned and made null and void also.
This.

ti vu

Think you’ve missed my point. I’m saying in a large crowd it wouldn’t spread as a domino effect, people seem to think it will. As in I get the feeling they think if one person coughs the person next to him immediately gets it and then coughs and then it makes it’s way round this large group of people literally like a domino.
I see.

Still, there is no way to gauge how many infected people would attend and spread to closeby people, who then later spread to next and next victims. Not in immediate effect, but since the symptom come late, and not everyone are allowed to be tested, the risk of community spread is there.

I believe that’s the exact same situation in Italy, and why French government threw harsh(er) word at Italy government for not taking the precaution action earlier and more serious.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Ofcourse there is no perfect solution, but I don't see how cancelling the season is any better. Completely remove everything that has been done throughout the season without any reward for the efforts of numerous teams.

Sheffield won't get to play in Europe, Leeds and West Brom won't get promoted. Highly unfair to ask them to do everything again, and essentially giving a free pass to teams like Norwich, Villa and Bouremouth to continue to get the high EPL revenue for one more season.

Regarding the WWII situation, the war broke out in September when the season was very early. I'm sure if the same pandemic happened in September there would be no question over cancelling the season because it would've been only 1 month old.

ti vu

This is war alright. On human life. Even if it‘s stopped tomorrow (nobody see the end of it), the damage is huge both lives and world economy.

I think some people don’t really understand what pandemic is, and why world leaders and organization got into a political struggle all this time. The virus takes the spotlight over everything else for a reason.

Goku23

I dont know how viable this would be but if the Europa league gets cancelled and Liverpool get the title what if all remaining participants in the Europa get a CL spot next year. Or the leading teams from the first leg get CL spot tricky with Olympiakos and Wolves though there at 1-1 just thinking how it can work out and be fair for all teams if season is cancelled.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I mentioned plenty of times afterwards that those teams that have 28 matches (City, Villa, S.United and Arsenal) can complete their one game behind closed doors at a later point so that everyone has an even number of matches.

That is not fair. Not all matches are equal, see this:

This is an absolutely shit idea. Look at the position of the teams we are yet to play:

United:

Tottenham = 8
Sheffield = 7
Norwich = 20
Brighton = 15
Bournemouth = 18
Villa = 19
Southampton = 14
Palace = 11
West Ham = 16
Leicester = 3

Average = 13.1
Top 6 left to play: 1
Rivals for CL spot: 1
Bottom 6 left to play: 6

Then Chelsea:

Villa = 19
City = 2
Leicester = 3
West Ham = 16
Watford = 17
Palace = 11
Sheffield United = 7
Norwich = 20
Liverpool = 1
Wolves = 6

Average = 10.2
Top 6 left to play: 4
Rivals for CL spot: 2
Bottom 6 left to play: 4

Leicester:

Watford = 17
Chelsea = 3
Brighton = 15
Everton = 12
Palace = 11
Arsenal = 9
Bournemouth = 18
Sheffield United = 7
Tottenham = 8
United = 5

Average = 10.3
Top 6 left to play: 2
Rivals for CL spot: 2
Bottom 6 left to play: 3

The season is null and void if it can't be finished by the start of next season.

ti vu

I don't think we should just null and void three quarters of a season though. No champion is crowned, and it might be taken out of the FA/Premier League's hands as to who qualifies for European spaces, which is the only actual obligation we have outside of our own national system.

I don't think we should relegate anyone or even crown Liverpool champions. My point was that they would be champions had they already wrapped up the league before its suspension. They haven't, so they aren't.

Why would you void a completed competition? Some of you have gone completely loony.

That's not the situation though. I don't believe anything should happen for certain unless it's already mathematically impossible for anything else to happen. My point was solely that if Liverpool had earned enough points this season to mean nobody could catch them, then they would be champions regardless of when the league was suspended. As it is, they still need 6 points so they can't be handed the title as they can still be caught.
I chose to reply to this after my post in agreement with @stevoc about this situation being similar to be at war, for it would save plenty of time to explain.

All plannings for all competitions next season are also in doubt. As thing stands if I have a say, I would suggest suspending the UEFA current club competitions next season, and host European Super League until there are normal complete league season to resume the qualification process.

Last edited:

Blake's 7

Suspend the League for 4-5 months and hopefully by then we'll be getting back to normality. The 19/20 season can then be completed in 2020!
The end of the season would be Sep/Oct 2020, have a 4 to six week break which would realign the playing season so that the break would coincide with the schedule we're going to have to adopt for the winter World Cup of 2022. A new season could commence before Christmas 2020. Keep this schedule until the 2020 World Cup has been played.
If we then wanted to revert to a traditional schedule, drop the cups for a season to reduce the number of games. If all UEFA countries adopted this schedule it would protect the integrity of both the domestic and European trophies.

Reactions: Penna

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
It transmits in various ways, however. Much like a domino. The infected person coughs, 5 in the vicinity get it. He coughs again as he leaves - more get it. The virus is on the infected's seat, clothes, hands. He touches many, many things while at the stadium. Many touch those things after him. One infected person could easily spread it to a thousand others at a stadium. And then they can pass it on to their loved ones. Anyway, I get your point.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That is not fair. Not all matches are equal, see this:

The season is null and void if it can't be finished by the start of next season.
What guarantee is there that we will perform better than the rest in those two given that we havent particularly performed great against the bottom teams?

Again, there are many more questions regarding what to do with a null and void season (the cheif of which is European football) than finishing it now with the current table.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I think how this football season ends is going to be quite insignificant in the coming weeks the way things are going. It’s really unimportant at this stage.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What guarantee is there that we will perform better than the rest in those two given that we havent particularly performed great against the bottom teams?

Again, there are many more questions regarding what to do with a null and void season (the cheif of which is European football) than finishing it now with the current table.
What’s that got to do with anything? It’s a league not a cup, in a league you all play the same fixtures. How is it fair if some teams have only played Liverpool/City once and Norwich/Villa twice and other teams the opposite?

No eye dear

My feeling is make the season null and void and cancel next year's European competitions, start fresh next season, but working as I do in the NHS, millions won't die from this in virus in the UK, most probably up to 80% of the country will get it but the vast majority will feel OK for a few days and be fine.
The talk of body bags and police keeping order is scaremongering and that's the attitude that leads to the idiotic panic buying.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think how this football season ends is going to be quite insignificant in the coming weeks the way things are going. It’s unimportant at this stage.
I think we've already reached that stage mate. That's why many feel it would be better to void this season completely, allowing the players to return home and concentrate on what's important such as family and health, rather than worrying about the season starting up again at an unknown date.

But you try telling the scousers that.

philipos

I think the season has got to be completed however long it takes. With the World Cup in 2022 being played in November/December, start the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons in December and run them through to October. That should give enough time to complete this season by September at the latest to allow for a close season and pre-season. From 2023, gradually phase back to the usual August - May seasons.

Reactions: Penna

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think the season has got to be completed however long it takes. With the World Cup in 2022 being played in November/December, start the 20/21 and 21/22 seasons in December and run them through to October. That should give enough time to complete this season by September at the latest to allow for a close season and pre-season. From 2023, gradually phase back to the usual August - May seasons.
Why does the season have to be completed?

TrustInOle

Honestly, didn't care Liverpool were gonna league before, and care even less now if they were awarded with it. Priorities.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Null and void basically stops any legal action being possible. All contracts and contractual obligations are "frustrated" and any legal claim will be a waste of money.

The only basis of a claim would be that the decision was deliberately biased for some reason.

In the face of large numbers of body bags and police actions to control unrest it would be a very brave decision to fight it in court.
I hear that excuse is all the rage and what everybody does these days. Another trend started by my beloved City (after terrible PR, horrible social media and being the first club to employ both a chef for the players and the books.)

Jericholyte2

Kind of an amalgamation of some potential scenarios here, on the assumption there is a chance to continue (would be May - July at the earliest I’d think)

- All UEFA cub competition (CL and EL) nul and void - European qualification determined by final league position only
- All domestic leagues to continue as able
- Any outstanding domestic cup games to be completed as single leg, FT then penalties ties
- 2020 European Championships delayed until summer 2021
- Transfer window to begin as of the 1st Monday following the final game of the season across Europe
- Transfer window opens for 8 weeks
- 2020/21 domestic season begins the weekend following the closure of the Transfer window
- All domestic cup competitions cancelled for 2020/21 season - allows pure concentration on completing domestic leagues for 2020/21 season
- European Championships to take place 3 weeks after the end of the final domestic season
- 2021/22 seasons arranged as normal

Now I know there are massive gaps in this but it’s the only solution I can think of that doesn’t result in prolonged legal battles and chaos.

Greck

The biggest problem with a contingency plan is not knowing when this will blow over. Starting now they will have to make a fresh backup plan for every month the PL is unable to resume when as it stands we're already scratching our heads to figure out a one month delay to no solution

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
An idea could be play the rest of the season whenever safe, if that's August that's August.

Then go into next season without the CL/EL so the season can be completed in normal time then the following season double up on CL and let anyone who qualified this season and next in, 16 groups of 4 (64 teams), the only difference would literally be two more games for each team.

Liverpool’s lead tends to skew people’s thinking, but it’s completely irrelevant how far they are ahead. For Liverpool, winning the league is clearly a big thing - you can’t crown them champions, because that therefore means you have to make assumptions about who qualifies for the CL, Europa League and who gets relegated and promoted throughout every league.

it’s fantasy to think the league will finish. Players contracts run out on Jun 30th, so what do you do with players who are out of contract. Do Utd play without Ighalo and Matic, who does Smalling and Sánchez play for? Multiply that for every team in Europe, and it’s a mammoth problem.

to finish the league, it needs to be done by 30 June.

Josh 76

Liverpool’s lead tends to skew people’s thinking, but it’s completely irrelevant how far they are ahead. For Liverpool, winning the league is clearly a big thing - you can’t crown them champions, because that therefore means you have to make assumptions about who qualifies for the CL, Europa League and who gets relegated and promoted throughout every league.

it’s fantasy to think the league will finish. Players contracts run out on Jun 30th, so what do you do with players who are out of contract. Do Utd play without Ighalo and Matic, who does Smalling and Sánchez play for? Multiply that for every team in Europe, and it’s a mammoth problem.

to finish the league, it needs to be done by 30 June.
Just heard some Scousers in the pub saying let's just play Man city behind closed doors on April 4th and get the title officially won So then they can cancel the league.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Kind of an amalgamation of some potential scenarios here, on the assumption there is a chance to continue (would be May - July at the earliest I’d think)

- All UEFA cub competition (CL and EL) nul and void - European qualification determined by final league position only
- All domestic leagues to continue as able
- Any outstanding domestic cup games to be completed as single leg, FT then penalties ties
- 2020 European Championships delayed until summer 2021
- Transfer window to begin as of the 1st Monday following the final game of the season across Europe
- Transfer window opens for 8 weeks
- 2020/21 domestic season begins the weekend following the closure of the Transfer window
- All domestic cup competitions cancelled for 2020/21 season - allows pure concentration on completing domestic leagues for 2020/21 season
- European Championships to take place 3 weeks after the end of the final domestic season
- 2021/22 seasons arranged as normal

Now I know there are massive gaps in this but it’s the only solution I can think of that doesn’t result in prolonged legal battles and chaos.

If individual country leagues are deemed ok to carry on, is there actually any greater risk from carrying on with the European cups?
Surely if there's risks from that there would still be risks with playing football in leagues.

Jericholyte2

If individual country leagues are deemed ok to carry on, is there actually any greater risk from carrying on with the European cups?
Surely if there's risks from that there would still be risks with playing football in leagues.
Originally thought for safety of travelling fans, missed an assumption that all games would be behind closed doors. Would also imagine clubs would have issues with international travel.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The biggest problem with a contingency plan is not knowing when this will blow over. Starting now they will have to make a fresh backup plan for every month the PL is unable to resume when as it stands we're already scratching our heads to figure out a one month delay to no solution
Exactly this.
People keep talking about finishing the season however late, but what if there's no football at all until say July? Teams would then need to spend a few weeks getting sharp again, and then you'd still have 3months of the season to fit in.

The FA have to have a final cut off date in mind.
The 3 weeks black out buys them time, but it's exceptionally optimistic to expect
Originally thought for safety of travelling fans, missed an assumption that all games would be behind closed doors. Would also imagine clubs would have issues with international travel.
It's moving fast. A few days ago the behind closed doors thing was seen as the way to get things done.
But then so many playing staff started falling down, that became no better an option.

So it's going to be very interesting watching this pan out.