Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for proving my point. If you care about life then you shouldn't be trying to find some workaround to finish a football season because it directly endangers people for something as insignificant as football. People's lives and football aren't even in the same category. You realise the entire country is in lockdown and people are dying and losing their jobs everyday? To add further pressure to an NHS that can't cope by putting people in even more risk potentially killing and infecting others for the sake of football is a travesty. Hence why it's not a fecking strawman argument.
:rolleyes:

The leagues can also be finished when it's safe again without endangering anything or anyone. Wanting to finish the leagues and caring for people's lives are not mutually exclusive.

And yes, people would probably try to work out more scenarios in which case the league gets completed rather than voided if Utd was currently on top.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks for proving my point. If you care about life then you shouldn't be trying to find some workaround to finish a football season because it directly endangers people for something as insignificant as football. People's lives and football aren't even in the same category. You realise the entire country is in lockdown and people are dying and losing their jobs everyday? To add further pressure to an NHS that can't cope by putting people in even more risk potentially killing and infecting others for the sake of football is a travesty. Hence why it's not a fecking strawman argument.
I haven't "proven your point atall", this narrative that anyone discussing football is some sort of reborn Fred West is deranged.

Redcy

Okay, how about the following:
- all contracts extended by one year.
- all sponsorships extended by one year.
- summer 2020 transfer window suspended.
- season 2020/2021 is cancelled.
- season 2019/2020 continues and is finished at some point either this year or early next year.
- spring/summer 2021 play the Euro's.
- resume 2021/2022 as normal.
- all international friendlies cancelled.

Would that work?
No
- all contracts extended by one year.- I doubt you will get all footballers to do that.
- all sponsorships extended by one year. - No chance when they get no exposure and won't know if the team will stay together, etc, even if they did the sponsors would not expect to pay out much for this coming year as no football is being player comparatively.
- summer 2020 transfer window suspended.- Possible, can't see players/clubs being happy though, and it won't happen across europe
- season 2020/2021 is cancelled - Absolutely no chance, clubs will go out of business all over the place, very few clubs have massive cash reserves.
- season 2019/2020 continues and is finished at some point either this year or early next year. - Possible to do this but loads of clubs, especially below PL go out of business.

So yes you could do it but lots of clubs would go out of business, as they rely on attendances to finance them, and even PL clubs might struggle without TV and sponsor money. When teams go out of business how do you resolve the league with them missing?

SirAnderson

Okay, how about the following:
- all contracts extended by one year.
- all sponsorships extended by one year.
- summer 2020 transfer window suspended.
- season 2020/2021 is cancelled.
- season 2019/2020 continues and is finished at some point either this year or early next year.

Would that work?
Players that are 25 will be 36 and close to retirement by then, do not want. :nervous:

Redcy

There's just no way to tell right now. We can only start coming up with solutions once it's perfectly clear when it's safe to resume the season again. In my opinion, once the break has cut into next season, it makes sense to finish this one first and come up with a solution for next season (just shorten it, most likely) because I think that would have the least legal (and financial?) implications.
You think keeping 25% of this season and shortening next season, presumably by half, has less financial implications? I mean even legal implications is a bit of a stretch, what if all my away games are against the top 10, my homes games against the bottom 9?

I agree we can't produce a solution though until we know when we can safely restart. The issue I have is the desire to risk lives to get this season complete, which the liverpool fans and press seem keen on, by any means. Suggesting solutions that put people at unnecessary risk.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You think keeping 25% of this season and shortening next season, presumably by half, has less financial implications? I mean even legal implications is a bit of a stretch, what if all my away games are against the top 10, my homes games against the bottom 9?

I agree we can't produce a solution though until we know when we can safely restart. The issue I have is the desire to risk lives to get this season complete, which the liverpool fans and press seem keen on, by any means. Suggesting solutions that put people at unnecessary risk.
Shouldn't happen at all, I think everyone can agree on that.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
EL and CL looking to restart again in July and August.. yet we continue to have people berate me and tell me there is NO CHANCE football returns. Listen, like I said time and time again.. THIS SEASON IS GETTING FINISHED no matter if you like it or not.

The epicenter is the USA now and the information coming out of the White House suggests a dramatic decline starting in late May to early June. If the epicenter is suggesting early June, there is NO REASON why we can't have BCD football in July.

Stop fooling yourselves. Just because you hope for something to happen doesn't mean it will.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nd-europa-league-could-be-completed-in-august

Vanrouge

:lol: Come on mate, this is a Manchester United forum. We all know why they're so keen on voiding the season despite all the strawman arguments.
Aside from how repugnant it is that you're overtly prioritizing your particular football club's fortunes over the health and lives of potentially millions of your fellow humans, this is an eminently stupid take even from a footballing perspective. United were the form team prior to the pandemic, confident of progressing in the Europa League, the FA Cup, and securing top four in the Premier League. Those United fans advocating "null and void" are not doing it for footballing reasons; we're advocating it (reluctantly and painfully) for humanitarian ones. From a football perspective, this would hurt us as much as it would hurt you. But football is small in comparison to the bigger picture. Once again, Liverpool fans are demonstrating that they will overlook anything (racism, a massive global health crisis, etc.) for on-field "success." If it does turn out that the season is somehow concluded, after all the naked lobbying by fans and former players, what a hollow victory that will be. And from a human perspective, so petty and insignificant.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Ronaldo's Mum Eh? Every sector is making indicative plans for returning to business as usual. The dates are simply rolled forward and will continue to do so until there is a clear exit plan available for fighting the virus.

I agree with you that they will attempt to conclude the season at some point.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Aside from how repugnant it is that you're overtly prioritizing your particular football club's fortunes over the health and lives of potentially millions of your fellow humans, this is an eminently stupid take even from a footballing perspective. United were the form team prior to the pandemic, confident of progressing in the Europa League, the FA Cup, and securing top four in the Premier League. Those United fans advocating "null and void" are not doing it for footballing reasons; we're advocating it (reluctantly and painfully) for humanitarian ones. From a football perspective, this would hurt us as much as it would hurt you. But football is small in comparison to the bigger picture. Once again, Liverpool fans are demonstrating that they will overlook anything (racism, a massive global health crisis, etc.) for on-field "success." If it does turn out that the season is somehow concluded, after all the naked lobbying by fans and former players, what a hollow victory that will be. And from a human perspective, so petty and insignificant.
This is such horseshit, get off your high horse please. Everyone that does not agree that the league shouldn't be resumed until it's safe to play again is just a scumbag, irrespective of club alliances. And yes, it's probably only die-hard Liverpool fans which advocate the opposite, but that doesn't represent the average fan. Advocating a "null and void" scenario has feck all to do with "humanitarian reasons", it's the second stage of the solution which could either be "finish the season" or "null and void" it. The first stage is: wait it out until it's safe to play again. You can just as easy adhere to the "finish the league" solution but understand that it should be postponed until it's safe to play again "for humanitarian reasons".

And also, it wouldn't hurt you half as much as it would "hurt" us. A top 4 finish or even an FA Cup is literally nothing compared to a first title in 30 years. I'd be delighted if the season gets finished and we get the trophy, yes, but even that would feel pretty hollow and insignificant if you consider the grand scheme of things. But don't give me that bullshit of "we want to null and void it because we care about humanity and Liverpool fans want to finish it ASAP because they're selfish people" because that's so wrong on many levels. Let me repeat it: people advocating the "finish the leagues" scenario are NOT prioritizing the football club's fortunes over the health and lives of other human beings, and if you can't see that then I rest my case.

stevoc

But by saying this bolded part, you're already taking into account a very specific scenario and timeframe where football can't resume in June/July but would be perfectly fine to start mid-August. What are the chances that happens? Imo there's a much bigger chance we can either i) resume sooner and finish the season in time, or ii) not resume in June/July but cannot resume in August either. What's most important in that case? Say the FA are given the green light to start up again at the end of September or something like that. What takes precedence, finishing the 19/20 season or starting the 20/21 season (which is also already pretty fecked by then)?

There's just no way to tell right now. We can only start coming up with solutions once it's perfectly clear when it's safe to resume the season again. In my opinion, once the break has cut into next season, it makes sense to finish this one first and come up with a solution for next season (just shorten it, most likely) because I think that would have the least legal (and financial?) implications.
I'm actually not saying that at all mate, my point is no one has a clue when we can finish this season or start the next certainly not now or probably not even in the next few months.

But all the parties involved sooner or later will want a decision on whats going to happen with the this season. As stated there are many contracts and moving parts that have to be resolved. I just don't see a scenario where we hang on for months and months until October/November/December on the off chance we might be able to finish season at some point. By then lots of players will have moved on from their current clubs and teams will have bought/sold lots of new players. As i said i personally think at some point in the next few months a line will have to be drawn under this season if it can't be completed in or around the period it usually would have been finished, which is May/June/July.

If we get to August and we can't start a new season so be it, they can then start making plans on how we could possibly start a truncated 20-21 season around December/January by losing European/Domestic cups and some internationals etc. finishing in May in time for Euro 2021.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm actually not saying that at all mate, my point is no one has a clue when we can finish this season or start the next certainly not now or probably not even in the next few months.

But all the parties involved sooner or later will want a decision on whats going to happen with the this season. As stated there are many contracts and moving parts that have to be resolved. I just don't see a scenario where we hang on for months and months until October/November/December on the off chance we might be able to finish season at some point. By then lots of players will have moved on from their current clubs and teams will have bought/sold lots of new players. As i said i personally think at some point in the next few months a line will have to be drawn under this season if it can't be completed in or around the period it usually would have been finished, which is May/June/July.

If we get to August and we can't start a new season so be it, they can then start making plans on how we could possibly start a truncated 20-21 season around December/January by losing European/Domestic cups and some internationals etc.
Well, better to at least have one season finished than none at all if we can't start next season in time, is just my reasoning. And yes of course that has to do with Liverpool being on top but I think I'd say the same if that wasn't the case - would also make qualification for (shortened) European competitions and relegation/promotion more clear.

As for the bolded bit, there's no guarantee that we'll be having a regular transfer window this summer at all imo.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Wimbledon has been cancelled.

Thats June/July rulled out for soccer too surely?

TheLord

Wimbledon scheduled for July has been cancelled. That speaks for itself.

stevoc

Bring it on. Maybe clubs would actually use their squads rather than overplay the same 14 dudes then whine about being tired.

There's going to be no solution that please everyone but a shit ton of games next year would make me happy!
We’re in an unprecedented situation where we don’t even know if there will be a season next year never mind a full one. So call me sceptical mate but I don’t see anyone involved voting for a solution that adds 20 games to an already packed domestic playing schedule.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Oh please, spare me the sanctimonious lecture & the faux outrage. Until people like you start calling out your own fans for finding laughter & enjoyment at the prospect of Liverpool not getting their hands the league title, which, as we all know, is because of thousands of people are dying on a daily basis. Then I think it's only right I confine your comments to the 'bullshit hypocrisy' file'. Don't worry though. You'll have plenty of company in there.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Wimbledon cancelled. Even if things are very much improved and people are back at work you still have to cancel these things given that there is a lot of uncertainty about when big events will be safe and given people will be preparing to travel to this event now.

Premier League is a little different as you could announce it’s resumption at a very short notice (it was cancelled literally a day before a game) and there is no international travel but still...even if things are improved by June big sporting events like football won’t be deemed 100% safe by then I don’t think. Really think there’s a possibility they will just scrap the season and aim to start next season on time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wimbledon cancelled. Even if things are very much improved and people are back at work you still have to cancel these things given that there is a lot of uncertainty about when big events will be safe and given people will be preparing to travel to this event now.

Premier League is a little different as you could announce it’s resumption at a very short notice (it was cancelled literally a day before a game) and there is no international travel but still...even if things are improved by June big sporting events like football won’t be deemed 100% safe by then I don’t think. Really think there’s a possibility they will just scrap the season and aim to start next season on time.
It started with football and mass running events and now moving across the spectrum with Olympics, euros, Wimbledon etc.
Sad times but at least we know sport will re emerge down the line.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

It's why I think that the worse this situation gets the greater the chances of the footballing authorities ending this season with current standings being final. This gives everyone time to prepare for a new season, which at this moment in time, is still 4 or 5 months away. If it's still not safe to do so, then the season doesn't start until it is safe.

prateik

The season has to be cancelled... there is no way around it.
And its nothing to do with Liverpool not getting the title either.

There is no way it restarts anytime soon.. We can ruin 2 seasons or write this one off and give the next season a proper shot..

We'll miss out on the CL again.. Arsenal will get lucky with the City suspension.. but that's the way it has to be.

Member 101269

As Sports events over the summer and across the globe are being cancelled, epl are still talking about running it.. immoral

saivet

Also, with Wimbledon I read that organisers were adamant that they wouldn't have it behind closed doors.

stevoc

Well, better to at least have one season finished than none at all if we can't start next season in time, is just my reasoning. And yes of course that has to do with Liverpool being on top but I think I'd say the same if that wasn't the case - would also make qualification for (shortened) European competitions and relegation/promotion more clear.
I get that thinking mate and my preference would be for the season to finish at some point also. Personally if it were my decision i would wait and if football can't be restarted before Xmas then we would just play out the rest of this season at the start of 2021.

But two things are certain this decision will be based around whats best for the leagues/clubs economically and not whats best for football. Also that business hates uncertainty and football is big business these days. There will be a lot of very wealthy parties with vested interests pushing the football authorities for answers in the next two months. Which is why i think they will announce a clear plan about the fate of this season before the end of June.

As for the bolded bit, there's no guarantee that we'll be having a regular transfer window this summer at all imo.
Well regardless of whats happening in the world and in football thousands of contracts are ending in June so i don't see any reason why the transfer window wouldn't open on July 1st. If this season is to be restarted then teams will have to be allowed to replace squad members who have left.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
First time since World War 2 that Wimbledon has been canceled. Remember when this was 'just the flu'?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
How come sports organisations like the Wimbledon one are so confident about societal recovery, to the point of actually naming when their events will take place (in the near future)?

doriandun

Have in mind that they are testing more people and therefore identifying more cases.
On the 22/3/20 germany went full lockdown.
In the entire two months to March 15, germany had tested in the region of 160,000 people, on 22/3/20, germany had just over 23,000 postive case and just over 90 deaths.

On March 30th, 63,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 560 deaths in germany.

So their postive case had multipled by a factor of just over 2.7% and deaths by 6.2% since March 22nd 2020, after lockdown.

The reasoning for their low fatality rates wouldn't be from testing, it would have to be something else,testing only slows the spread as does the lockdown.
It might have something to do with the pnemonia vaccination, in which they are deploying.

On March 20, Lothar Wieler, the president of the Robert Koch Institute—Germany’s main public health body—said German laboratories are now able to conduct some 160,000 tests per week.

stevoc

All CL & EL games suspended until further notice by UEFA

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52121463
I reckon that could be the latest move that points towards plans behind the scenes for this season being written off. Softening the blow in stages.

Initially the PL was only suspended until early April and before we even got to that date it was further suspended until April 30th. That will keep happening.

Utdstar01

Still unsure whether the football will be cancelled or not. I can see them giving it a go. We'll have to see how the next few weeks go.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Oh please, spare me the sanctimonious lecture & the faux outrage. Until people like you start calling out your own fans for finding laughter & enjoyment at the prospect of Liverpool not getting their hands the league title, which, as we all know, is because of thousands of people are dying on a daily basis. Then I think it's only right I confine your comments to the 'bullshit hypocrisy' file'. Don't worry though. You'll have plenty of company in there.
Doing what LFC fans have done for years, turning reality upon it's head and coming out with an extraordinarily twisted argument.

We all find it quite nice that LFC are not going to get the title, even cruel on them (Though we're not going to say that) but nonetheless quite a nice aside from the shutdown and pandemic, you know, like all the funny memes on Twitter about it, light relief!

That is nowhere near the PL, LFC media, LFC fans obsession to get this season finished.

Imagine playing all these games behind closed doors and the logistics required, whilst clubs are going to the wall, whilst people are dieing, whilst we're looking for health workers to fill vacancies, whilst all this stuff is happening the PL are holding a tournament to save financial losses?

For me it isnt even a question now, I cant be arsed with football, it can do whatever it wants but if it gets in the way of protecrting lives and health it is wrong

stevoc

It's why I think that the worse this situation gets the greater the chances of the footballing authorities ending this season with current standings being final. This gives everyone time to prepare for a new season, which at this moment in time, is still 4 or 5 months away. If it's still not safe to do so, then the season doesn't start until it is safe.
Don't think theres a snowballs chance in hell that happens personally. Thats the one route that would lead to lots of lawsuits.

TheLord

... resumption at a very short notice ....
That "short" is still about 3 weeks after normalcy restores. Players will need at least that much time for getting match fit.

The more you look at it, the more you see no other option other than "terminate" the season.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The "will only play football if it is safe. Paramount is health" part is essential and so important to keep in mind. I really hope the decision makers won't prioritize financial gains over the health of the public and the footballers.

German ZDF reported today that the Premier League teams stand to lose between 1.1 and 1.2 billion if the season doesn't get completed.

stevoc

Of course in all this talk of finishing this season at all costs, i think given that the vast majority of us are fans of PL teams we forget that teams further down the footballing pyramid rely heavily on gate receipts to stay afloat. So trying to finish this season at the cost of the next one could put a lot of clubs out of business.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Of course in all this talk of finishing this season at all costs, i think given that the vast majority of us are fans of PL teams we forget that teams further down the footballing pyramid rely heavily on gate receipts to stay afloat. So trying to finish this season at the cost of the next one could put a lot of clubs out of business.
It's a miniature reflection of the wrong-headed way society is structured (by design) - survival of the richest.

Fridge chutney

Not sure why you’re talking about the government. Its clear I’ve been referencing the general population. You made out as if you were ahead of things and were criticising people for ‘not taking seriously’ and telling me to listen to Charlie Austin when literally you yourself only took a ‘serious’ stance at the start of the month, which is completely fine btw. I just don’t really understand why you’ve taken this whole Gandalf the wise stance.
:lol: ok buddy, you keep doing you. This is a pointless conversation if this is how you've interpreted it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Honest question because I don't see the reasoning behind that logic - how would it impact them negatively? Surely this season getting finished would lead to more gate receipts? Or are you talking about finishing it without fans in attendance?