Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Devil may care

"£750m repayment to TV companies " and there lies the only real reason it hasn't been canned already, Wimbledon has been scrapped for this year even though it could have aimed for an August start if needed, but common sense and lack of greed prevailed, that conference call tomorrow should be broadcast for entertainment purposes, I can just imagine the shambles of proposals from the various clubs with something to gain/lose.

Brophs

The One and Only
"£750m repayment to TV companies " and there lies the only real reason it hasn't been canned already, Wimbledon has been scrapped for this year even though it could have aimed for an August start if needed, but common sense and lack of greed prevailed, that conference call tomorrow should be broadcast for entertainment purposes, I can just imagine the shambles of proposals from the various clubs with something to gain/lose.
Interestingly, Wimbledon have maintained a pandemic insurance policy (or at least a policy that covers public health issues like this) so they won’t make significantly less profit than they would in a normal year. So, I’m guessing the decision was an easier one to make than for some.

Interestingly, Wimbledon have maintained a pandemic insurance policy (or at least a policy that covers public health issues like this) so they won’t make significantly less profit than they would in a normal year. So, I’m guessing the decision was an easier one to make than for some.
I think it’s easier to cancel a competition that’s not even started yet to be honest.

however, of all this comes down to money and is played out in public, football will take a big hit. The public will turn.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Anyone else listen to Carlton Palmer on the radio yesterday? He lives in Shanghai and he reckons the UK haven't got a clue about the shit storm that is about to hit us and said we've got 7 months or so minimum of the current conditions. He's speaking from experience of someone living in a country that has dealt with this much better than we have. It was scarily fascinating listening to him speak about it, not sure he mentioned football once either! Hope he's wrong mind!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Anyone else listen to Carlton Palmer on the radio yesterday? He lives in Shanghai and he reckons the UK haven't got a clue about the shit storm that is about to hit us and said we've got 7 months or so minimum of the current conditions. He's speaking from experience of someone living in a country that has dealt with this much better than we have. It was scarily fascinating listening to him speak about it, not sure he mentioned football once either! Hope he's wrong mind!
I did hear that and obviously don't discount his analysis given he's a resident in China now, gave good information on lockdown restrictions. He was very insistant virus was around in November in China so I think we have to assume it was around in some form earlier in europe than assumed so far.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
If the finish in China rumour is being considered then I think someone needs to send the men in white coats to the PL. That is the most batshit crazy idea to date. Next up it will be games on a boat docked somewhere.

Red00012

If the finish in China rumour is being considered then I think someone needs to send the men in white coats to the PL. That is the most batshit crazy idea to date. Next up it will be games on a boat docked somewhere.
To be honest I don’t think anyone honestly believes the games would be finished in China. Imagine the shitstorm it would cause finishing the season where the virus began :lol:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I did hear that and obviously don't discount his analysis given he's a resident in China now, gave good information on lockdown restrictions. He was very insistant virus was around in November in China so I think we have to assume it was around in some form earlier in europe than assumed so far.
To be honest I don’t think anyone honestly believes the games would be finished in China. Imagine the shitstorm it would cause finishing the season where the virus began :lol:
Are Liverpool the Chinese Champions if it happens?

Devil may care

That is interesting, I wonder what made them think to get a policy like that, I mean what is happening now is extreme but I can't recall even a minor health situation of this nature stopping an event.

Yeah, not sure Corona FC will be cooperating with the Marley's.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I wouldn’t be surprised if most big clubs such as United etc have this in place for players at least.

When you consider the amount of traveling the squad does over the course of the year for clubs and internationals, it makes sense.

doriandun

It's not 750 mill, the contract was 3 billion for 3 years, thats 1 billion a year.
29 odd games have already been played by most clubs, leaving 9 games unaccounted for simple maths 1 billion per season / 38 games multipled by 29 games, which gives a total of £763 mill, that the broadcaster must pay the league, based on the 29 games.

The real figure in relation to refund this season is £237 mill give or take a few pounds. The problem is everybody has over egged themeself, in the sense they have spent money, before actaully having it.
As for the remaining two years, they can added on so instead of contract ending 2021/2022 season it ends 2022/2023 season.

There is only two options
1: void this season and start the new league campaign october/november, pre season and transfer window in september, plus also getting rid of 1 of the cup competitions.
problem - many players are out of contract june 30th and currently there are travel bans so no transfers between clubs.

2: Continue the current campaign from feb 2021, with jan 2021 being open for pre season and transfers.

For the league to restart you will need a pre season, lock down [you have to factor lockdowns in other countries] will be here for a least another 2 months minimum.So the earliest pre season could take place is June 1st with a July restart, and as mentioned above players will be out of contract, weakening alot of teams.

If the league restarted july, it would runs for two months or 6 weeks, taking us into mid or end august, once completed you could give a two weeks break and start a new campaign in september, removing 1 cup competition.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Is there a place where I could listen to it again?

TheLord

It's not 750 mill, the contract was 3 billion for 3 years, thats 1 billion a year.

The real figure in relation to refund this season is £237 mill give or take a few pounds. ..
And that is 237 ÷ 20 (clubs) = ~ 11 million per club.

Plus clubs have started furloughing staff, players will surely start accepting pay cuts.

I don't understand the paranoia of putting lives at risk over the petty issue of each club having to refund ~11 million. I know some of the club owners are akin to blood-sucking parasites, but still !

This is surely not that big an issue as the press are making it to be? Other issues may be, but refunding 237 million is probably not. The press is feeding us nonsense.

Last edited:

Greck

Season could likely be forfeit. The clubs just have to show a good legit effort to rescue it so all the other stakeholders like the media and the sponsors are at least sympathetic to their position when all options have been exhausted. Maybe then they'll drop the refund demands. (Yes we know there's more to it than not wanting to pay refunds but it is a factor)

SirAnderson

Season could likely be forfeit. The clubs just have to show a good legit effort to rescue it so all the other stakeholders like the media and the sponsors are at least sympathetic to their position when all options have been exhausted. Maybe then they'll drop the refund demands. (Yes we know there's more to it than not wanting to pay refunds but it is a factor)
Exactly. It will go right down till June if they have to.

SirAnderson

And that is 237 ÷ 20 (clubs) = ~ 11 million per club.

Plus clubs have started furloughing staff, players will surely start accepting pay cuts.

I don't understand the paranoia of putting lives at risk over the petty issue of each club having to refund ~11 million. I know some of the club owners are akin to blood-sucking parasites, but still !

Is is even that big an issue as the press are making it to be?

Other issues may be, but refunding 237 million is probably not. The press is feeding us nonsense.
I think right now the threat is more from UEFA than it is the broadcasters.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

I saw this posted somewhere a few days ago in relation to the top end of football's collective brainmelt, and didn't know what it was. Am now watching Tiger King and it's just so apt :lol: .

Member 101269

Colleagues in China aren’t back at work, friends say they’re allowed out, social distancing applies in queues, some ordinary jobs, eg office work, get masks provided by the employer...

He is right, I’m not sure even 2020/21 will start

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
Colleagues in China aren’t back at work, friends say they’re allowed out, social distancing applies in queues, some ordinary jobs, eg office work, get masks provided by the employer...

He is right, I’m not sure even 2020/21 will start
Shanghai itself is pretty well on its way back to normal from what I've seen. I've been back to work for over a month, things certainly aren't as busy as usual but its not a ghost town like it was in February. But the level of control they have here is astonishing compared to back home. There's just no way the UK could match it without bringing in martial law.

Edited for clarity.

Member 101269

Shanghai itself is pretty well on its way back to normal from what I've seen. I've been back to work for over a month, things certainly aren't as busy as usual but its not a ghost town like it was in February. But the level of control they have here is astonishing compared to back home. There's just no way the UK could match it without bringing in martial law.

Edited for clarity.
That is pretty much what I’m being told. Some I know in Shanghai are back at work, colleagues in Shanghai are still working remotely.

Another colleague has effectively a covid19 passport.

Rooney24

I hope someone Zoom Bombs it.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
That is pretty much what I’m being told. Some I know in Shanghai are back at work, colleagues in Shanghai are still working remotely.

Another colleague has effectively a covid19 passport.
Every body has that, or should. If they want to enter a public place that is. Thats kind of what I'm saying in terms of the level of control. Every time you enter your home or a public place, your temperature is taken. Every time you take a tube you scan a code so if theres an out break so they know who is exposed. Regardless of any problems they've had in reporting numbers accurately. In Shanghai at least I have no doubt they're dealing with it better than anywhere else in the world.

Alabaster Codify7

Shanghai was relatively unscathed by coronavirus which is in bizarre in itself to be honest. Same goes for Beijing. He is right though, this virus has been around for longer than we think. China only told the world about it once it became impossible to keep under wraps anymore, I'd hazard a guess that it probably was around November and was probably in Europe by Christmas too. I'm certain of it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Seems that in Italy they're trying to solve the situation by suggesting playing the remaining games every 3 days.