Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Kag

BCD won't stop the EFL clubs sinking. PL clubs are likely to survive anyway.

The issue with BCD is the safety for the 200 staff needed per game, and the likelihood we get a single club with a breakout and someone becoming very ill, or using medical staff for problems caused at a match.
I don’t expect behind closed doors to remain as stringently imposed further down the chain; albeit I appreciate people are free to disagree. The football community cannot allow clubs to collapse en masse and I expect it to do whatever it takes to prevent that outcome - so I hope, possibly in vain, that financial packages can be implemented to save clubs where necessary.

The latter is a matter of logistics, which I think is achievable provided transmission within the community is adequately tracked and traced.

Irrespective, the return of sport will be a welcome relief to many people.

Last edited:

Kag

It goes without saying that everyone wants to return to normality.

However the idea that prioritising football right now, is tone-deaf.
There are small-business owners are going bankrupt, employees losing their jobs, domestic violence increasing daily, those in social care dying in isolation etc. in what world can a small group of athletes be given priority? I would think (hope) that more people in the country would have their morale lifted when parts of society that affects the majority of the population on a daily basis, begins to open up.

Football will return and i'll be happy when it does return, but there are more pressing issues that we need to prioritise right now.
Also a return of football ties up testing kits, medical staff & approx 200 employees being part of the chain in order to get 1 football game BCD to go ahead. How can that be justified when over 100 NHS frontline staff have died due to lack of testing and inadequate PPE? That doesn't even touch on the thousands who have died in care homes due to similar circumstances.
Since when was the prioritisation of football (or sport) part of the discussion?

The return of football behind closed doors will coincide with the gradual lifting of restrictions that are going to have to take place in the coming weeks and months. This will lift spirits and provide normality. It’s possible to express this view while being fully aware of and sympathetic to the deaths taking place as a result of the virus. We can have a grown up discussion about it.

If the government can facilitate an effective track, trace and test model within the community (I appreciate that they are as much use a chocolate teapot) then I have no issues with resources being used to support sport. Of course, it goes without saying that several industries come first.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm not sure why.

Even take away football being something we enjoy it would be one step forward in beating this thing. I don't like soaps but whenever news emerges of them recommensing filming I'll be happy for the same reason.
Step outside of the football bubble for a moment. Bringing football back would infuriate the majority of the country.

Redcy

I don’t expect behind closed doors to remain as stringently imposed further down the chain; albeit I appreciate people are free to disagree. The football community cannot allow clubs to collapse en masse and I expect it to do whatever it takes to prevent that outcome - so I hope, possibly in vain, that financial packages can be implemented to save clubs where necessary.

The latter is a matter of logistics, which I think is achievable provided transmission within the community is adequately tracked and traced.
Except whilst there is some idea floated around about this we havent seen anything concrete. I know a lab has been setup near me, supposedly for testing, and the government were going to develop software for phones to track likely problems, but I wouldn't think thats in place within the next few weeks. In fact I know some people on the project for one version of the software, and yeah lets say I won't be holding too much hope of a good working version soon. Will we get one eventually, yeah, which is how we will get back to a working status in the mid term. take a look at the chinese software and how they have done it for example that it can be done even imperfectly. That is what we will do, I just don't think we will make it happen as quickly as stated.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Since when was the prioritisation of football (or sport) part of the discussion?

The return of football behind closed doors will coincide with the gradual lifting of restrictions that are going to have to take place in the coming weeks and months. This will lift spirits and provide normality. It’s possible to express this view while being fully aware of and sympathies to the deaths taking place as a result of the virus. We can have a grown up discussion about it.

If the government can facilitate an effective track, trace and test model within the community (I appreciate that they are as much use a chocolate teapot) then I have no issues with resources being used to support sport. Of course, it goes without saying that several industries come first.
I'm not saying it's impossible to miss football and be empathetic of the situation going on.
I'm saying it's tone-deaf to suggest that it will unilaterally "raise morale" which is what Carragher was suggesting.

There's no point going into a back & forth around the logistics needed to get football to return, it's been discussed to death here.
It's nice to hope and wish for football to return or be bored of the lockdown, but it's a privileged position to be in quite frankly.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Step outside of the football bubble for a moment. Bringing football back would infuriate the majority of the country.
How many of those "majority" also get outraged over people resting on a park bench while not batting an eyelid about the fact cancer victims aren't being treated?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How many of those "majority" also get outraged over people resting on a park bench while not batting an eyelid about the fact cancer victims aren't being treated?
Sorry I don’t have a figure

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I really think the season may not be finished now. Finishing it behind closed doors should not be an option and by the time it’s safe to play again it may have fecked the schedule up for years.

I also still don’t get this null and void thing? Just abandon the season with no champion or relegation rather than void everything. All matches and goals still count the history books will just say the 19/20 season wasn’t finished. Otherwise we’d get the ludicrous situation where we’re scoring our 2000th Premier League goal all over again, Greenwood is scoring his first goal for United when we’ve seen him score loads already and we’re looking for our first win at home to City in 6 years despite having beaten them in March.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry I don’t have a figure
That the average member of the public rely on the media to think straight.

The same people who get on their high horse about football returning won't bat an eyelid when soaps recomence filming even though that will hold as much if not more risk.

Footballs an easy target because of the money stigma attached.

Kag

I'm not saying it's impossible to miss football and be empathetic of the situation going on.
I'm saying it's tone-deaf to suggest that it will unilaterally "raise morale" which is what Carragher was suggesting.

There's no point going into a back & forth around the logistics needed to get football to return, it's been discussed to death here.
It's nice to hope and wish for football to return or be bored of the lockdown, but it's a privileged position to be in quite frankly.
Carragher is being asked about football as a football pundit on a sports network. He isn’t unilaterally trying to suggest anything; he’s making a fairly simple observation that the return of football will boost morale. I’d agree with him. It would certainly give me something to look forward to. He isn’t a politician, or responsible for major decision making, so I think it’s a tad unfair to treat his views as anything more than we would our own. Granted, he has a platform, but it’s a relatively small one.

I think the premise of privilege is a rabbit hole not worth entering.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's amazing how often the two opinions go together. Apparently unconnected, but in reality you just know one follows on from the other.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Carragher is being asked about football as a football pundit on a sports network. He isn’t unilaterally trying to suggest anything; he’s making a fairly simple observation that the return of football will boost morale. I’d agree with him. It would certainly give me something to look forward to. He isn’t a politician, or responsible for major decision making, so I think it’s a tad unfair to treat his views as anything more than we would our own. Granted, he has a platform, but it’s a relatively small one.

I think the premise of privilege is a rabbit hole not worth entering.
It would raise his morale, yours and i'm sure millions of others who are in a privileged position to be bored, not worry about their health, job or loved ones.
It's still incredibly tone-deaf considering the situation at hand; there are 600 people dying every day, plus he offered no insight into how leagues below the PL would restart, he simply parroted the issue that football needs to be played and Liverpool need to be crowned champions, but how we settle CL/EL, promotion, relegation or clubs going bust? He doesn't know, let's just get footy back on the telly.

norm87cro

While it is funny that nature has found it unacceptable that the Dippers be crowned Champions the season should be finished behind closed doors without any unnecessary warm up games given the circumstances. And the same applies for the three lower tiers of professional football. Lower leagues than that should be voided. The Fa cup can be organised within two weeks given the number of teams remaining.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Playing behind closed doors only works as long as players don’t get infected. As soon as someone does they’ll have to shut it all down again.

TheReligion

Abusive
Sitting on a park bench isn't outrageous but it's not what you should be doing at the moment as the repercussions are obvious.

Kag

It would raise his morale, yours and i'm sure millions of others who are in a privileged position to be bored, not worry about their health, job or loved ones.
It's still incredibly tone-deaf considering the situation at hand; there are 600 people dying every day, plus he offered no insight into how leagues below the PL would restart, he simply parroted the issue that football needs to be played and Liverpool need to be crowned champions, but how we settle CL/EL, promotion, relegation or clubs going bust? He doesn't know, let's just get footy back on the telly.
There will be people who are out of work, using the Job Retention Scheme, suffering with the loss of family members and suffering from ill health that would also find sport a welcome return . As I said earlier, we can discuss the two issues separately. This is why the concept of privilege is not particularly relevant in this instance. Who agreed that sport would only improve the lives of those privileged to have their full time jobs and health?

Perhaps I’m wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I feel your mask may be slipping re. the Liverpool champions remark. Taking a pop at Carragher could appear to satisfy an appetite to criticise Liverpool and those associated with the club.

Ultimately, I just struggle to agree with the view that the populace will be angered by the return of football (and other sport). Fast forward another four weeks, and that will only become stronger.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There will be people who are out of work, using the Job Retention Scheme, suffering with the loss of family members and suffering from ill health that would also find sport a welcome return . As I said earlier, we can discuss the two issues separately. This is why the concept of privilege is not particularly relevant in this instance. Who agreed that sport would only improve the lives of those privileged to have their full time jobs and health?

Perhaps I’m wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I feel your mask may be slipping re. the Liverpool champions remark. Taking a pop at Carragher could appear to satisfy an appetite to criticise Liverpool and those associated with the club.

Ultimately, I just struggle to agree with the view that the populace will be angered by the return of football (and other sport). Fast forward another four weeks, and that will only become stronger.
Privilege is about being in a position which gives you an advantage over others - if your main concern in this time is when football will return, you are in a privileged position. I fail to see how you can argue otherwise. Using hypothetical anecdotes doesn't bring more credibility, because anybody can create a made-up scenario to suit their argument..

My mask isn't slipping at all, I don't care about Liverpool winning the PL.
My only point is that his words are tone-deaf, especially when he isn't actually providing any insight beyond his personal whims and wants. When it comes to the real issues, contract expirations, clubs going bust, exactly how football can be played BCD etc - he provided no insight because his only concerns are selfish ones & he's not an expert, therefore I fail to see the point in it right now.
Liverpool football legend wants football to return and lots of people will be happy when life has semblance of normality - in other news the earth continues to spin.

If we were in a situation where the daily death rate had dropped to a couple dozen and the amount of new daily cases had dropped significantly as well - yet the government were insisting on maintaining a lockdown with no plan for easement - then yes, I can see the argument for pushing for a return to normality.
We're far from that point.

My father is a doctor, he's not working with covid patients but still having to ration PPE in his ward - and hasn't been tested yet due to lack of kits. Likewise my mother is a social care worker, one of her residents has passed away from covid and 4 others have contracted it, 2 of which are on ventilators right now - her care home have no PPE and has literally had to beg and plead to be given 10 testing kits in the last 3 weeks.

If football restarts despite NHS & frontline workers are having to work in such conditions, plus the already limited supplies will be used for the benefit of professional athletes i'll be livid - as i'm sure anyone who's in the medical field or a frontline worker, or has loved ones in either job sector would be too.
There's a vast variety of perspectives on this matter that affect many people - hence why i'll say for the last time, it's an incredibly tone-deaf comment to make, right now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Imagine Bournemouth being relegated by a single goal of GD with the season incomplete?
Is it worse than a club going down because they've played one less game through virtue of reaching the league cup final? ;)

Got to be honest, I'm not actually that bothered if we go down or stay up. I think a wider problem for me is how long it's going to be BCD. Can't help it of course but it will make the whole football structure seem more soulless and artificial than usual. It really won't feel like a proper season to me although of course we can't do much about it so I don't really care whether we're in prem or championship to play infront of an empty Villa Park every week.

Seems championship and other leagues think they can get some fans back in by October which seems wildly optimistic. Not sure what the premier league thinking is on that but of course they don't need the gate money half as much as a league 2 club does.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ok just for a second can we move this convo off Liverpool and onto Utd? You have two ways to qualify for the CL no matter whether the league finishes or current placings are final.

League finishes - 4th or 5th place, win EL

Current placing final - City's ban upheld, or as someone very clever pointed out earlier if UEFA cancel this seasons CL and EL and use co-efficients Utd have the highest one in the EL.

I'll be very surprised if you're not in the CL next season one way or another. Surely these are reasons to be cheerful?
I'd say any Man. United fan on here would been more frustrated if europa league gets scrapped, that to me was a more likely route into CL than league where results remain inconsistant, particularly away from home. Had 2017 vibes for me and of course you also had a very winnable FA cup game at Norwich.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just reported on sky need they football should return in the next few weeks.
It won't come back in a few weeks.

Teams aren't even behind allowed to do seperate training session which has been the case in Germany for a few weeks. Seems Spain and Italy might have that at start of May.

Will need 2-3 weeks but ultimately it will be a shorter warm up than normal pre season as you won't have 2-3 weeks of friendlies, just straight back into normal competition.

Looks like the plan is end of this lockdown period teams will probably be allowed to start training again (mid May) and then if things don't go wrong early June will be when BCD games can start.

Whole of May also gives government the chance to roll out the mass testing to all those on the frontline who need it and should've had it a month ago. They've promised 100k from the 1st May remember so need to be held accounted for that.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Playing behind closed doors only works as long as players don’t get infected. As soon as someone does they’ll have to shut it all down again.
Germany plan is for every single person involved in BCD match to be tested before entering the stadium. If you're showing symptoms you ain't getting in to the stadium (not sure how it works if one of the refs can't be involved!). German clubs will be apparently testing the squads every day so it will be closely monitored and I assume german teams will be in quarantine in hotels/training centres in any case so minimal chance of spreading.

TheReligion

Abusive
Part of UEFA's directive aside from basing decisions on 'sporting integrity' was that it had to be done on a non-discriminatory basis. Handing Ajax the league when they are level on points with an opponent is obviously discriminatory. Awarding a side the title that's 25 points clear with just a quarter of the season to go is not discriminatory. UEFA's chairman himself even said a couple of weeks ago that he couldn't see a situation whereby Liverpool wouldn't be crowned English champions this year. The other issues such as relegation, promotion, European places etc are a lot more complex. But that doesn't take away the cut & dried situation - based on UEFA's wordings - relating to Liverpool's position.

:lol:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
:lol:

Arses are twitching...

:drool:
Calm as you like here mate. If this had happened 12 months ago when us & City were neck & neck in the league then I would have been fearful, & it would have been a wet-dream for you guys. The Premier League couldn't have awarded it to either team based on sporting merit because had they done so it would have gone against UEFA's 'non-discriminatory' stance. So not only would City have been denied a league title but we'd have probably missed out on winning The Champions League too because of the virus bring life to a standstill...…..Phew !!! I couldn't have lived with the jizzfest on here had that happened.

It's funny how when @Dumbstar brought up the Dutch, Belgian, & Scottish leagues all cancelling their respective seasons they were passed off as 2nd rate leagues who are irrelevant when it comes to how we finish our Premier League. However, the Dutch league miraculously is now the blueprint as to how others should end their respective leagues :lol: No mention of the Belgian & Scottish leagues who want to end theirs along with naming a winner. No, no, no, that's not the way to do it.

The possibility of lengthy, expensive, legal challenges have been spoken about right from the start of this thread. They are still very much a probability right across all the leagues in Europe. Who then would challenge The Premier League's decision to award the title to a side that's so far ahead you can't even see their heels for dust ? Answer is, nobody.

Prepare yourself guys. 19-6 is coming :drool: & I think deep down you all know it.

Kag

Privilege is about being in a position which gives you an advantage over others - if your main concern in this time is when football will return, you are in a privileged position. I fail to see how you can argue otherwise. Using hypothetical anecdotes doesn't bring more credibility, because anybody can create a made-up scenario to suit their argument..

My mask isn't slipping at all, I don't care about Liverpool winning the PL.
My only point is that his words are tone-deaf, especially when he isn't actually providing any insight beyond his personal whims and wants. When it comes to the real issues, contract expirations, clubs going bust, exactly how football can be played BCD etc - he provided no insight because his only concerns are selfish ones & he's not an expert, therefore I fail to see the point in it right now.
Liverpool football legend wants football to return and lots of people will be happy when life has semblance of normality - in other news the earth continues to spin.

If we were in a situation where the daily death rate had dropped to a couple dozen and the amount of new daily cases had dropped significantly as well - yet the government were insisting on maintaining a lockdown with no plan for easement - then yes, I can see the argument for pushing for a return to normality.
We're far from that point.

My father is a doctor, he's not working with covid patients but still having to ration PPE in his ward - and hasn't been tested yet due to lack of kits. Likewise my mother is a social care worker, one of her residents has passed away from covid and 4 others have contracted it, 2 of which are on ventilators right now - her care home have no PPE and has literally had to beg and plead to be given 10 testing kits in the last 3 weeks.

If football restarts despite NHS & frontline workers are having to work in such conditions, plus the already limited supplies will be used for the benefit of professional athletes i'll be livid - as i'm sure anyone who's in the medical field or a frontline worker, or has loved ones in either job sector would be too.
There's a vast variety of perspectives on this matter that affect many people - hence why i'll say for the last time, it's an incredibly tone-deaf comment to make, right now.
Once again, nobody has argued that football returning is their main concern. I’m merely pointing out that its return will boost morale and somewhat normalise the lives of people to a (small) extent. This will apply to people from all sorts of socio-economic and health-related backgrounds.

I’m fully well aware of the NHS/PPE situation. That’s a governmental issue that they are obligated to solve. But it is/was possible to ensure that PPE provision is supplied more effectively, that a track and test policy is implemented in the future and for football to be able to access the resources as and where appropriate, provided it has been prioritised for industries in greater need.

I think you’ve taken a comment that was intended to lift spirits and provide some positivity and taken it a little personally. Which I understand, of course, but there isn't too much wrong with what he has said. He isn’t suggesting the lads get their boots on next week, is he?

I’ll probably leave it there, as it’s clear we disagree.

djembatheking

Germany plan is for every single person involved in BCD match to be tested before entering the stadium. If you're showing symptoms you ain't getting in to the stadium (not sure how it works if one of the refs can't be involved!). German clubs will be apparently testing the squads every day so it will be closely monitored and I assume german teams will be in quarantine in hotels/training centres in any case so minimal chance of spreading.
Surely that can`t happen here though , you can`t test footballers , refs cameramen and the like when entering a stadium and squads daily when we don`t even test doctors, nurses and care workers .

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I thought null and void was a genuine threat at one stage, but now i'm convinced they'll try and force out some sort of BCD action In the Premier league, simply because of the money aspect.
Whereas I think they'll probably end the lower leagues pretty soon.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I really think the season may not be finished now. Finishing it behind closed doors should not be an option and by the time it’s safe to play again it may have fecked the schedule up for years.

I also still don’t get this null and void thing? Just abandon the season with no champion or relegation rather than void everything. All matches and goals still count the history books will just say the 19/20 season wasn’t finished. Otherwise we’d get the ludicrous situation where we’re scoring our 2000th Premier League goal all over again, Greenwood is scoring his first goal for United when we’ve seen him score loads already and we’re looking for our first win at home to City in 6 years despite having beaten them in March.
I think it'll go to BCD, however unwise.

But i'd probably go with your suggestion, stop the leagues - nothing awarded, but nothing voided.
Even though that would be a right arsehole to my two clubs.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Surely that can`t happen here though , you can`t test footballers , refs cameramen and the like when entering a stadium and squads daily when we don`t even test doctors, nurses and care workers .
Doesn't the test sample have to go off to a lab ? It's not an automatic positive/negative like a pregnancy test.

Edit. They may have that kind of test in other countries but iirc the UK's tests don't.

Matst1

Calm as you like here mate. If this had happened 12 months ago when us & City were neck & neck in the league then I would have been fearful, & it would have been a wet-dream for you guys. The Premier League couldn't have awarded it to either team based on sporting merit because had they done so it would have gone against UEFA's 'non-discriminatory' stance. So not only would City have been denied a league title but we'd have probably missed out on winning The Champions League too because of the virus bring life to a standstill...…..Phew !!! I couldn't have lived with the jizzfest on here had that happened.

It's funny how when @Dumbstar brought up the Dutch, Belgian, & Scottish leagues all cancelling their respective seasons they were passed off as 2nd rate leagues who are irrelevant when it comes to how we finish our Premier League. However, the Dutch league miraculously is now the blueprint as to how others should end their respective leagues :lol: No mention of the Belgian & Scottish leagues who want to end theirs along with naming a winner. No, no, no, that's not the way to do it.

The possibility of lengthy, expensive, legal challenges have been spoken about right from the start of this thread. They are still very much a probability right across all the leagues in Europe. Who then would challenge The Premier League's decision to award the title to a side that's so far ahead you can't even see their heels for dust ? Answer is, nobody.

Prepare yourself guys. 19-6 is coming :drool: & I think deep down you all know it.
So insecure 19-6. How old are you?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The legal challenge was to come from other clubs in other positions if Liverpool were awarded the top position because it would set the precedent. No one would challenge Liverpool getting the title per se, just that the other positions must also then be worked out.

Well now that Uefa and other countries have completely nullified and voided (hehe) the null and void dream, that's pretty much the i's dotted. Now for the t's to be crossed.

of course not.

and there’s more to life outside of the PL as well, so is the plan for this to happen for every club in the football league?
92 clubs (i know it’s only 91)

200 people you need to test every day for let’s just say 80 days.

thats nearly 1.5m tests.

obviously there’s some big assumptions about testing camera men every day. But then if you only did it on the day and all cameramen tested positive, are you going to get the kit man to do it?!

sounds ridiculous to me.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
of course not.

and there’s more to life outside of the PL as well, so is the plan for this to happen for every club in the football league?
92 clubs (i know it’s only 91)

200 people you need to test every day for let’s just say 80 days.

thats nearly 1.5m tests.

obviously there’s some big assumptions about testing camera men every day. But then if you only did it on the day and all cameramen tested positive, are you going to get the kit man to do it?!

sounds ridiculous to me.
Unless the PL can guarantee that:

- no test is depriving someone more important from being tested.
- there are enough tests to cover what you outlined above
- the tests are reliable

I really hope they don't go ahead. Considering the way that football in general has handled covid19 and the criticisms it's received (some justified, some perhaps not) the absolute worst thing that could happen now would be for the PL to make a mess of the return. If they're the slightest bit unsure then don't do it. If it doesn't go well in Germany then they should just forget it - and to be honest even if it does go well it's still no guarantee the UK would be able to follow suit.

doriandun

Unless the PL can guarantee that:

- no test is depriving someone more important from being tested.
- there are enough tests to cover what you outlined above
- the tests are reliable

I really hope they don't go ahead. Considering the way that football in general has handled covid19 and the criticisms it's received (some justified, some perhaps not) the absolute worst thing that could happen now would be for the PL to make a mess of the return. If they're the slightest bit unsure then don't do it. If it doesn't go well in Germany then they should just forget it - and to be honest even if it does go well it's still no guarantee the UK would be able to follow suit.
There is no way football will be restarting in the UK,in June, the Uk numbers will over take France and Spain, within two weeks.
We've been getting death rates between 700 to 900 for close to two weeks now.

Germany's method of ramping up PCR testing from 20,000 a week to 160,000 a week, from the 20th March 2020, along with the lockdown on 22nd March has helped them contain the spread, but the 5.6 million they have tested is less than 5% of their poplulation.

A few questions on my mind.

What will happen to the players kit after playing?
Who will be monitoring the chefs?
Will all bottles of water have to be sanitized and gloves worn on the touchline?
What will happen to the bench, when a substitution is made, will the surface have to be wiped down, before the substituted player can sit down?
Will the medical team have to carry multiple bags, or replace their bags, to prevent any bacteria lingering on surfaces?
How will the items used during the match be disposed of?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Someone needs to tell Carragher that the thing that would lift football fans morale the most would be null and void.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Germany feeling the weight of their hubris and some of the English thinking football's gonna happen again this season. Delusional.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd say any Man. United fan on here would been more frustrated if europa league gets scrapped, that to me was a more likely route into CL than league where results remain inconsistant, particularly away from home. Had 2017 vibes for me and of course you also had a very winnable FA cup game at Norwich.
Yes and no.
The fact there were still another 73 rounds of the Europa counts against it a bit!