Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
So it seems that some fans have gone from:

"null and void is the only way" to

"I like this Dutch model, because that way LFC don't get the title and Utd might even still get CL, its a win-win. Yeah feck that void nonsense lets go Dutch"

It's a great day when you wake up and realise that tribalism is alive and kicking, welcome back to the dark side lads. :)

arnie_ni

Agree it's more than players and coaches, but where did you get 200 from? And why can't they all be tested?

Personally I don't care if football resumes or not, as there are pros and cons but the point is they could resume if those involved are now immune because I think it will come to light that most people have already had coronavirus and don't even realise it.
They cant even test nhs staff in hospitals treating patients why would the test staff etc attending a football game. Wise up

arnie_ni

Do people realise that the Netherlands haven't voided the league?

They have chosen classification when games have been stopped. They haven't declared a champion because two teams were level on points. If Ajax were 25 points clear they would have been declared champions.
No they wouldnt have.

arnie_ni

Have they made it null and void? How are they awarding next season's CL and EL places - are they using the 18/19 table?
They used the uefa directive they annouced a day or two ago but not other position has been awarded

Tarrou

"I like this Dutch model, because that way LFC don't get the title and Utd might even still get CL, its a win-win. Yeah feck that void nonsense lets go Dutch"

It's a great day when you wake up and realise that tribalism is alive and kicking, welcome back to the dark side lads. :)
I was never a null and void is the only way to go man, but I agree the Dutch have come up with a better solution for all involved

arnie_ni

Utrecht missed out of Europa spots because the Dutch FA froze the table as is. They're looking to sue. Where did the Dutch FA draw the line for Utrecht? -25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 1?

They drew the line where they pretty much wanted to. Same as the PL will for all clubs, including Liverpool. And they will declare the winner where they decide because they can. Will City sue them for declaring us champions? 100% no.
There wont be a winner if they follow the Dutch league thats the point. They only awarded the cl places etc because uefa ordered them to

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I was never a null and void is the only way to go man, but I agree the Dutch have come up with a better solution for all involved
Thats why I said some fans mate. It wasn't blanket support for a null and void across the board. I do think most people are realising it was never being considered as a legitimate option.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
They used the uefa directive they annouced a day or two ago but not other position has been awarded
Yep. I'lll be happy if they use sporting merit in deciding the outcome of the PL (assuming that it can't be finished which is still my preferred option).

arnie_ni

I think the Dutch model is the way to go if we can’t finish the league

the only question mark is how to work out who qualifies for Europe.

I expect Man City to appeal their ban in any case, and so finishing 5th won’t get us CL - and whilst we had the momentum, we can’t possibly say what would happen in a league that never concluded.

without the FA cup there is an extra Europe League place for the league - so that means Utd, Wolves and Sheff Utd qualify for the Europe League? That takes away issue of Sheff Utd’s game in hand.

No champions, No promotion, No relegation.

All matches are recorded as happening, and all stats are in the record books.

Liverpool, City, Leicester and Chelsea - CL based on the league table.

Utd, Wolves and Sheff Utd - EL based on league table

That’s all logical to me and looks like a very neat solution.

It’s only complicated if City are banned, and they work out who out of Utd or Sheff Utd qualify instead and based on whether they use the table as it is or PPG logic then either Arsenal or Spurs make the EL.
This. It fecks utd over but its the only fair way

arnie_ni

Yep. I'lll be happy if they use sporting merit in deciding the outcome of the PL (assuming that it can't be finished which is still my preferred option).
There wont be a champion or relegation if its used.

Fecking us and yourself over but its the only fair way

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
There wont be a champion or relegation if its used.

Fecking us and yourself over but its the only fair way
If they use sporting merit it would be an incredible decision for them to award European places which are still very tight and not the title which is 93% done.

arnie_ni

If they use sporting merit it would be an incredible decision for them to award European places which are still very tight and not the title which is 93% done.
Its exactly what happened in holland. You can't award liverpool a title and not relegate the bottom 3.

You either do it all or nothing in that regard.

They only announced those that qualified for Europe because UEFA ordered them to.

different things and you are conflating the two.

if there is European football next season, you have to determine who enters, and that should be based on league places as much as possible. Remember Liverpool get a place in Europe through this as well.

Awarding the title to a team that’s not won it, and relegation/ promotion are completely different matters.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
different things and you are conflating the two.

if there is European football next season, you have to determine who enters, and that should be based on league places as much as possible. Remember Liverpool get a place in Europe through this as well.

Awarding the title to a team that’s not won it, and relegation/ promotion are completely different matters.
But you're awarding european places to teams who haven't mathematically earned it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This whole ”awarding European spots” argument with clubs suing for missing out is going to be completely moot as there is clearly not going to be any European football next season. It’s just going to end up with qualifying spots this season and qualifying spots of the next completed domestic season arguing over who has qualified for European football when it finally returns.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
again you are confusing the two.

How would you do it?

Remember this is not Null and Void. It’s suspending the season. means we are not going back to 18/19 which would be utterly ridiculous.
If you're going to award places based on sporting merit I don't think you can justify awarding teams a place in next seasons CL & EL (should they take place of course) when there must be about 8 different teams who could still qualify and no-one knows who would be in the EL or CL and at the same time not award a title which is vastly more close to being done. I really can't see the PL making that decision - can you?

SER19

Bringing it back after weeks of isolation to play unfit teams behind closed doors is utter horseshit. May as well toss coins.

Scrap it and start a new season when it can actually happen.

If you're going to award places based on sporting merit I don't think you can justify awarding teams a place in next seasons CL & EL (should they take place of course) when there must be about 8 different teams who could still qualify and no-one knows who would be in the EL or CL and at the same time not award a title which is vastly more close to being done. I really can't see the PL making that decision - can you?
On the assumption that Europe goes ahead next year and the league can’t finish this season, then how are you going to determine who e terms form the PM.

Whether a league title is awarded or not is irrelevant.

so your argument is that if Liverpool can’t be given the title, then no one can be in Europe next year? The two things are independent decisions and not reliant upon each other, how can you not see that?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Spot on.

It's not ok to suggest a team that are first, 25 points clear of second, would finish first, but it's fine to say that a team in 4th, 3 points clear of 5th would finish 4th.

There is some very flawed logic going on here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worth pointing out that the league being incomplete wasn't the reason given for not naming Dutch champions. They specifically said it was because there were teams level on points at the top. Had Ajax been miles ahead it's quite likely that they would have been named champions.

So when people talk about the PL following "the Dutch model", they should be aware that the logic of that model doesn't preclude Liverpool being named as champions.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
On the assumption that Europe goes ahead next year and the league can’t finish this season, then how are you going to determine who e terms form the PM.

Whether a league title is awarded or not is irrelevant.

so your argument is that if Liverpool can’t be given the title, then no one can be in Europe next year? The two things are independent decisions and not reliant upon each other, how can you not see that?
I agree they're not dependant on each other - the PL could certainly do what you're suggesting. But one decision can influence the other and I can't see the PL thinking "Wolves deserved a EL spot, but Liverpool don't deserve the title".

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

How would you do it?

Remember this is not Null and Void. It’s suspending the season. means we are not going back to 18/19 which would be utterly ridiculous.
Someone should change the title wording then. Too much premature relief going on this thread. :)

What we know so far:
Belgium - null and void? No
Holland - null and void? No
Scotland - null and void? No

Belgium - announce champions? Most likely to officially on Monday
Holland - announce champions? No
Scotland - announce champions? Likely to as already raised the motion earlier

The only thing the countries are following each other on is that null and void is definitely not happening. Hope this helps. :angel:

arnie_ni

That's covered by sporting merit.
They never mentioned awarding the title on sporting merit they only talked about uefa tournaments qualification based on sporting merit.

"if terminated leagues are to submit clubs to European competition in the 2021-22 season, they do so “based on sporting merit”

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Worth pointing out that the league being incomplete wasn't the reason given for not naming Dutch champions. They specifically said it was because there were teams level on points at the top. Had Ajax been miles ahead it's quite likely that they would have been named champions.

So when people talk about the PL following "the Dutch model", they should be aware that the logic of that model doesn't preclude Liverpool being named as champions.
this.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I know right?!

These posters that come in this thread and keep going on about a solution that happens to suit their club eh :rolleyes:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

Give up man!
You want to answer each and every United fan who writes here trying to dispute everything which is not conducive to your beloved Liverpool being given the title.
Are you aware there's a pandemic going on right now?
Is Liverpool winning the title the be-all and end-all of the history of the world?!
Is it possible that you and Megamandrive (imho the worst two Liverpool posters here) have not been sent away from here till now?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

You will be thread banned soon. I can sense it. You're probably already on many people's ignore list. :p:)

fck

Supports
Bayern

How would you do it?

yeah but I find it illogical as well. I mean for promotion and relegation you go back to the 18/19 season results so why should European places be handled differently? A team that got promoted in 18/19 and would have been relegated in 19/20 is going to remain in the top flight (RKC Walwijk). So for them it's going back to last reason results, so whats the difference here? It doesn't make sense to me.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
They never mentioned awarding the title on sporting merit they only talked about uefa tournaments qualification based on sporting merit.

"if terminated leagues are to submit clubs to European competition in the 2021-22 season, they do so “based on sporting merit”
I didn't say UEFA directed it. I believe the PL will apply sporting merit when deciding things should the season not be completed.