Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

macheda14

I think quite a lot of people do actually. I mean, looking at this selfishly, this whole lockdown thing would be a lot easier on me if there was regular football to watch on the telly. Now the safety of those involved is a whole different matter and merits its own discussion, but if it were to happen, I'm certain loads of people would watch it, possibly more than before.
Obviously you don’t want anyone to risk their health or the health of anyone close to them. And so I do think they should cancel the season. However, I know what you mean, I have been wondering whether having football return in some capacity might be beneficial to the mental health of a lot of people. Currently there is very little to look forward to, nor is there much of a schedule. And so having something occurring regularly that people can pour their emotions into, and is something that is reminiscent of ‘normal life’, would be good.

Ludens the Red

Very well said and my point exactly.

I just feel like certain people have adopted this attitude of opposite anything that has to do with trying to restart things again at all cost. And there are also the bunch who just love and somehow feel vindicated to keep this fear mongering narrative indefinitely for some odd reasons. Obviously no plan or idea proposed right now is going to be full proof but at the same time, thinking logically and rationally the world will have to attempt to get things moving despite the virus still at large.

Then you also see some people go on these outrages about certain leagues trying to restart in the near future yet at the same time throw around timelines such as September or year end as viable dates to restart. They'll talk about not doing anything now and simply prepare for next season in August or start of next year yet they've somehow failed to account for the fact those times then and right now will likely carry similar situations with no vaccine yet, which then means people and players will still be subjected to similar level of risk then they will in the near future with the virus still being around.

Certain outrages about this whole restarting of the league in the near future from certain posters feel disingenuous to me. Feels more like it's about something else rather than them actually and genuinely fearing for the safety of players and their families.
It’s amazing, since you posted this, every one of the ‘groups’ you referenced has made a post in this thread :lol:
Its weird, there’s a lot more rational/logical discussion in the actual covid-19 thread. This thread seems full of people who’d be afraid of their own shadows.

D. Mungai

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
maintaining integrity of the competition
While risking human lives.

Bizarre yet unsurprising. We've known the PL values cash above all else for quite some time.

Alabaster Codify7

It’s amazing, since you posted this, every one of the ‘groups’ you referenced has made a post in this thread :lol:
Its weird, there’s a lot more rational/logical discussion in the actual covid-19 thread. This thread seems full of people who’d be afraid of their own shadows.

Lot of unhappy people on this planet mate. Lots of them have been unhappy and isolated for donkeys years, and are now finally feeling 'normal' because the entire world has been drawn down to their level. So of course, these people have a vested interest and desire to want this shit to continue indefinitely - they finally don't feel alone or weird, because everyone else is in the same position.

After this shit ends, which it will MUCH sooner than most realise (and by end, I mean the world keeps ticking, rather than the virus goes away), a LOT of people are going to need medication to even leave their gardens to get food. It's terrifying really, a lot of people are going to be destroyed mentally by this because right now they're being told that opening their front door means a 50/50 chance of dying and they believe it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Lot of unhappy people on this planet mate. Lots of them have been unhappy and isolated for donkeys years, and are now finally feeling 'normal' because the entire world has been drawn down to their level. So of course, these people have a vested interest and desire to want this shit to continue indefinitely - they finally don't feel alone or weird, because everyone else is in the same position.

After this shit ends, which it will MUCH sooner than most realise (and by end, I mean the world keeps ticking, rather than the virus goes away), a LOT of people are going to need medication to even leave their gardens to get food. It's terrifying really, a lot of people are going to be destroyed mentally by this because right now they're being told that opening their front door means a 50/50 chance of dying and they believe it.
Your first paragraph is so crass that I'm interested in what you're basing it on.

Secondly, who is telling people that there's a 50/50 chance of dying by opening their front door?

You could tell me your post was lifted straight from one of those alt-right FB group pages where the posters obviously know more than the experts and scientists and I wouldn't be shocked.

Flying high

Obviously you don’t want anyone to risk their health or the health of anyone close to them. And so I do think they should cancel the season. However, I know what you mean, I have been wondering whether having football return in some capacity might be beneficial to the mental health of a lot of people. Currently there is very little to look forward to, nor is there much of a schedule. And so having something occurring regularly that people can pour their emotions into, and is something that is reminiscent of ‘normal life’, would be good.
Until everyone remembers just how crap BCD football is.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Oops.
Who could have predicted such a thing!!
What difference does 3 players/staff make? They are already in isolation and the club has continued training. Regular tests will make sure that they have a track of what the situation is.

Not saying the same will happen in England though, no way the season will be completed there.
The problem is if these 3 are just the thin end of the wedge, and there start being players dropping out across the whole league.
At some point you have to realise it's a mad idea re-starting this early.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It will be so interesting to see what happens.

I was saying to my neighbour i dont think the football will be on next season. He agreed. Going to be a long year.

what a load of horse shit.

nothing wrong in adhering to the rules and regulations the country has put in place and which are being implemented across the planet.

at no point has anyone said anything that you’ve posted.

Redcy

Wow, just fecking wow. I don’t even know how to express how i feel about this post. All you need in your post is snowflake and pussy.

coming into a post with that, talking about a game football and this level of lack of empathy for anyone with mental issues.

as it happens I think we will get back to “normal” soon, once there is a way and in jobs that can be normalized.

yeah I’m still fecking wowed at those two posts.

RedDevil@84

Kidnap all players, coaches and all staff and lock them up for the 6-8 weeks window. And have private armed guards stopping them from meeting anyone in these weeks. Have them, coaching staff, ground staff, all kinds of staff tested everyday.
The show must go on.

Feck the fans

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I was already fairly confident the season wouldn't get to 38 games. Tonight I'm certain. Neutral venues is keeping the integrity of the competition how exactly? It's common knowledge that home form plays a huge part for every club in a season. It's one thing saying Norwich fans can't go to the remaining home games but they may have to play their games in London potentially at the home of a relegation rival? What utter nonsense.

RedDevil@84

Ya!! Bloody evil unhappy people. Especially those who are suffering from depression and loneliness. Those folks are laughing manically now.
Can't wait for the "real" men to stand up and free the world from the these folks.

<< Insert the freedom or die pic from US here >>

Just wow!!

mshnsh

My take on this:

The season should be voided, life is more important than football. No champions, no team relegated, Champions league places decided based on last seasons league table.

Rooney24

how can anyone honestly advocate for neutral venues and say the competition retains integrity ?
A joke

izzydiggler

The whole thing reeks of ‘we tried absolutely everything’ before it’s inevitably shut down and the fight for compensation begins. It won’t restart any time soon, I’m certain of it.

There is absolutely no way it’s safe for football to be played, even behind closed doors and even that only helps out the clubs with big TV money.

Last edited:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The whole thing reeks of ‘we tried absolutely everything’ before it’s inevitably shut down and the fight for compensation begins. It won’t restart any time soon, I’m certain of it.

There is absolutely no way it’s safe for football to be played, even behind closed doors and even that only helps out the clubs with big TV money.
Inclined to agree mate.

Whole thing is a shambles, take out the funny null and void angle and its depressing.

I was already fairly confident the season wouldn't get to 38 games. Tonight I'm certain. Neutral venues is keeping the integrity of the competition how exactly? It's common knowledge that home form plays a huge part for every club in a season. It's one thing saying Norwich fans can't go to the remaining home games but they may have to play their games in London potentially at the home of a relegation rival? What utter nonsense.
yes - can you imagine. Norwich. Aston Villa and West Ham all playing their remaining games at the Olympic stadium - what a load of BS.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Why have they to play the games in neutral stadiums? Why not just behind closed doors in whoever is at home?

RedDevil@84

"Up to 10 stadiums" would be used to resume the 2019-20 campaign.

The Premier League would also need up to 40,000 tests for players and staff if plans to play the 92 outstanding games behind closed doors are pursued.

Clubs reiterated a commitment to resuming the season "when safe and appropriate to do so".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52500593

Roboc7

It’s almost inevitable this season is done now, more a case of how it ends now, whether title is awarded and relegation etc. Top four is probably irrelevant as I doubt there will be Europa and Champions League next season.

Next season is going to be a huge challenge, huge drops in revenue and most teams will have virtually no transfer budget or desire to spend any money. Could be few bargains if teams are desperate but talk of big transfers like Sancho are total nonsense now.

NYAS

It’s pretty clear to anyone who knows anything about psychology that you’re the one feeling really down mentally and you’ve just described yourself in that first paragraph subconsciously, and have projected how you feel onto anyone who even suggests to wait a bit more before returning to normality. The type who struggles immensely with FOMO (fear of missing out).

It’ll all be over soon. Keep the faith.

Smores

The only way it will work is if all players are tested and then isolate as teams so there's minimal risk of infections. You'd need all players and staff to sign up to that though which seems a tall order.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Does anyone here, no matter who they support, genuinely think there'll be any more football played this season?

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
All players and staff kept in isolation and tested ahead of games. Why can’t that work?

All players and staff kept in isolation and tested ahead of games. Why can’t that work?
lock up everyone for how long, 6 weeks?

what about the championship, L1 and L2v

Sounds ridiculous. Are we scrapping the FA Cup as well? There’s very little interest in the league, the FA Cup Is much more interesting than playing out the PL.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
If some of the players are tested positive and They are key players, it'll make huge impact in results.

Don't do this. Nobody gives a shit about football right now. But some people do care about money. That is the only reason. Feck off.
Ever since the start of the Premier League it has only been about the money.
If you don't like the amount of money in the game you should have stopped watching decades ago.

The reality is that as the rest of the country starts to go back to work this will include football players too. Did anyone see the massive queues at B&Q at the weekend? That's more likely to spread the virus than behind closed doors football matches.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
A big part of playing at home is the home fans. Playing at neutral venues behind closed doors won't make much difference.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Your first paragraph is so crass that I'm interested in what you're basing it on.

Secondly, who is telling people that there's a 50/50 chance of dying by opening their front door?

You could tell me your post was lifted straight from one of those alt-right FB group pages where the posters obviously know more than the experts and scientists and I wouldn't be shocked.
You dont need to be an expert or a scientist to know that the virus is bad and that the best thing we can do is to lockdown.

However, the medical angle is not the sole angle to consider. Locking down until a vaccine is distributed id the best course of action in regards to stopping the sprrad of the virus but is abysmal in many other regards. It is a balancing act and not many experts will talk about all of the variables of the equation.

AlwaysRed66

Is there anything these greedy parasites wont do to get hold of that TV money. Integrity of the sport be damned.