Could Utd be sold soon?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'd have serious problems liking the team and supporting them if we were bought by the Saudis, especially given recent events.

AaronRedDevil

I'd have serious problems liking the team and supporting them if we were bought by the Saudis, especially given recent events.
Honestly I think we'd forget about it pretty quickly if United are back to being dominant or winning the league.

stubie

Honestly I think we'd forget about it pretty quickly if United are back to being dominant or winning the league.
Same here

All I’m interested in is matters on the pitch! Joe Smith from Stockport could own the club for all I care!

SirAF

Ageist

All I’m interested in is matters on the pitch! Joe Smith from Stockport could own the club for all I care!
SA would, for obvious reasons, not be ideal but the regime is going to be what is with or without United. I’d never stop watching the club.

Not that this ownership is going to happen!

Morpheus 7

I have a serious problem with how United were bought and have been run. People talking about the ethical and Political implications of a Saudi takeover are understandable but I wonder how strict they live day to day. Example have you knowingly bought sports clothing that has been made by Nike and Adidas. If so there is a strong possibility of child labour in some dingy sweatshop in Asia. Are you strict about how your food is sourced. I hear many strong opinions but much contradiction. This is not an attack on you, I just hear many concerns about what's right. What the Glazers have taken out of Man United is disgraceful, in many ways you could argue it's stealing. I want owners who are going buy the club debt free and finance what the fans have put in to the club. People can scrutinize the takeover but what has happened to United is not far of criminal. How they bought Man United is one of the shadiest things to ever happen since the club were founded.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I have a serious problem with how United were bought and have been run. People talking about the ethical and Political implications of a Saudi takeover are understandable but I wonder how strict they live day to day. Example have you knowingly bought sports clothing that has been made by Nike and Adidas. If so there is a strong possibility of child labour in some dingy sweatshop in Asia. Are you strict about how your food is sourced. I hear many strong opinions but much contradiction. This is not an attack on you, I just hear many concerns about what's right. What the Glazers have taken out of Man United is disgraceful, in many ways you could argue it's stealing. I want owners who are going buy the club debt free and finance what the fans have put in to the club. People can scrutinize the takeover but what has happened to United is not far of criminal. How they bought Man United is one of the shadiest things to ever happen since the club were founded.
Oh there's certainly a ton of hypocrisy involved, I'm just saying that in this instance concerning this one particular thing I'd have serious problems.

They'd completely use us for self-promotion of the regime and all the horrible things it does and that is something I can't abide by. Imagine all the matches we'd end up playing all around KSA so that MbS can promote his 'change' in policy/2030 plan meanwhile they're killing journalists with impunity and murdering people in public view in the streets plus destroying Yemen which is about the worst thing in modern news at the minute.

Yes, there are other things in our lives that we probably should take the moral high ground over but this is just one I couldn't deal with.

United have already unrecognisably changed since SAF and David Gill retired/left, since Scholes, Giggs and the rest of the 92 lads left. Being owned by a murderous despot purely to promote their regime would be enough for me to reconsider what I was doing.

I'd still want us to do well but I just couldn't bring myself to care anywhere near as much if this happened.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Some here are in urgent need of a moral compass. Yeah who cares who runs United as long as the football is good :rolleyes:

Reactions: Fortitude

minoo-utd

Who cares really ha? Feck politics. All governments are corrupted somehow. I only care who will really can help us back where we belong sooner again and Saudis will bring an interesting project to go head to head with UAE and City. So it's fine and hope the glazers feck off.

Morpheus 7

Oh there's certainly a ton of hypocrisy involved, I'm just saying that in this instance concerning this one particular thing I'd have serious problems.

They'd completely use us for self-promotion of the regime and all the horrible things it does and that is something I can't abide by. Imagine all the matches we'd end up playing all around KSA so that MbS can promote his 'change' in policy/2030 plan meanwhile they're killing journalists with impunity and murdering people in public view in the streets plus destroying Yemen which is about the worst thing in modern news at the minute.

Yes, there are other things in our lives that we probably should take the moral high ground over but this is just one I couldn't deal with.

United have already unrecognisably changed since SAF and David Gill retired/left, since Scholes, Giggs and the rest of the 92 lads left. Being owned by a murderous despot purely to promote their regime would be enough for me to reconsider what I was doing.

I'd still want us to do well but I just couldn't bring myself to care anywhere near as much if this happened.
You make some excellent points and I'd respect your decision. I don't think it's something you have to worry about anytime soon. The Glazers will be around a good bit longer yet I'd say. It's a broader debate of what you would be comfortable with morally. Kind of reminds me of a discussion I've had about film and music. An example would be like there was album by a Norwegian black metal band Burzum I bought one time. The ambient elements to the music intrigued me, anyway the main person who sang and produced the record was a convicted murderer. Many people would automatically not purchase something like that, I get it. I think if any art form is good you can appreciate it for what is, removing yourself from the situation. I know some people cannot separate the medium from the individual's life, that's fine. I'm only focused on the football I see and how well the club are run.

If the Saudi takeover happened and massive improvement to infrastructure at Old Trafford, academy and most importantly on the pitch happened I would fine with it. That's just being honest, in the perfect world United would be ran by the fans with a board of ex players and senior figures who truly love the club. Unfortunately this may never happen because of the figures involved. I want to see the supporter's getting to see brilliant football again. I want to see changes to the structure at Old Trafford, safe seating and more atmosphere. I just want to see the club put in the revenue it produces properly. I didn't start supporting United because for political reasons, it was for footballing reasons. I completely understand and respect your opinion though, just see it differently.

cyberman

Guardian has it on front and back of today's on-line version but the line of reasoning used in the thread above is hilarious.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...immediate-intention-to-sell-manchester-united

A few pages ago people were all … oh, the Glazers are saying nothing so it's true.

Now it's reported that Avram has pulled out of the Saudi "Dessert in the Desert" and denied that even if there were an interest they do not want to sell … everyone is: oh, it must be true then.

The doom merchants will believe whatever they want to believe.
But you were busy preaching the whole thing wasn't even true because of some twitter deep dive nonsense?
This doesn't actually change anything, the story has always been Utd aren't for sale but if 4b is offered they'd think about it.
I guess they haven't offered the 4b as of yet.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
You make some excellent points and I'd respect your decision. I don't think it's something you have to worry about anytime soon. The Glazers will be around a good bit longer yet I'd say. It's a broader debate of what you would be comfortable with morally. Kind of reminds me of a discussion I've had about film and music. An example would be like there was album by a Norwegian black metal band Burzum I bought one time. The ambient elements to the music intrigued me, anyway the main person who sang and produced the record was a convicted murderer. Many people would automatically not purchase something like that, I get it. I think if any art form is good you can appreciate it for what is, removing yourself from the situation. I know some people cannot separate the medium from the individual's life, that's fine. I'm only focused on the football I see and how well the club are run.

If the Saudi takeover happened and massive improvement to infrastructure at Old Trafford, academy and most importantly on the pitch happened I would fine with it. That's just being honest, in the perfect world United would be ran by the fans with a board of ex players and senior figures who truly love the club. Unfortunately this may never happen because of the figures involved. I want to see the supporter's getting to see brilliant football again. I want to see changes to the structure at Old Trafford, safe seating and more atmosphere. I just want to see the club put in the revenue it produces properly. I didn't start supporting United because for political reasons, it was for footballing reasons. I completely understand and respect your opinion though, just see it differently.
Do not want a Saudi here.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Let's be clear. The Saudis recently sentenced a regime critic to be crucified. Literally crucified. As in nailed onto a cross and left to die in the sun.

And Bobby Charlton was worried that Jose would embarrass the club?

Eric's Seagull

I am not going to debate what is going on in Saudi Arabia but the point about Nike and Adidas is extremely valid.

I also strongly agree with the second point as I do not think the Glazer's should have been allowed to buy us with a loan, or I don't think that type of purchasing of a club should happen at any club.

We need owners who let the club spend its money not use to fill their pockets and pay off debt we shouldn't have accumulated in the first place.

FujiVice

Team news is out for the FA Cup 3rd round ...

De Gea
Valencia
Alderweireld
Godin
Sandro
Pogba
Kroos
Messi
Neymar
Mbappe
Ronaldo

Final score: 1-1. We're playing to deep lads. Need to get the ball to the right back a bit more.

Fridge chutney

The Mirror reporting that it could happen means it won't happen.
Exactly. This is the same paper that reported that Mourinho would definitely be sacked before the international break.

Spoiler alert: they got it wrong.

wolvored

Guardian has it on front and back of today's on-line version but the line of reasoning used in the thread above is hilarious.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...immediate-intention-to-sell-manchester-united

A few pages ago people were all … oh, the Glazers are saying nothing so it's true.

Now it's reported that Avram has pulled out of the Saudi "Dessert in the Desert" and denied that even if there were an interest they do not want to sell … everyone is: oh, it must be true then.

The doom merchants will believe whatever they want to believe.
The Guardian is as bad as the Mirror for fake stories.

FujiVice

Exactly. This is the same paper that reported that Mourinho would definitely be sacked before the international break.

Spoiler alert: they got it wrong.
Did they get it wrong? Or did the preasure from the match day supporters and a club legends rant on live TV make them do a U-turn? Probably the latter in reality.

Fridge chutney

Did they get it wrong? Or did the preasure from the match day supporters and a club legends rant on live TV make them do a U-turn? Probably the latter in reality.
Well in the end they got it wrong.

The United board has ignored Co92 enough in the past. I don't think they would backtrack on a big decision just because Gary Neville threw a wobbly. If anything the press has torn Mourinho to shreds which would make sacking him an easier external-facing decision.

stepic

Team news is out for the FA Cup 3rd round ...

De Gea
Valencia
Alderweireld
Godin
Sandro
Pogba
Kroos
Messi
Neymar
Mbappe
Ronaldo

Final score: 1-1. We're playing to deep lads. Need to get the ball to the right back a bit more.
Need a new RB

Needham

matter of time I feel before we are gone.
I said it when the Glazers bought us.
I hope that perv Edwards Jr leaves this world in agony for what he has done.
Wow you sound like you're sitting on the edge of a cliff.

Needham

the club is though.
If a regime buys the club it'll go from strength to strength while being a hollow version of itself. Apparently they are not about to so we can relax. However I disagree with anyone implying that the weak lizardly fake rich Glazers wouldn't collect a 4 billion pay day from Beelzebub himself. They were born on a bottom line.

deafepl

Will be pointing at the owner again when we went from title contenders to mid-table, fighting for top 4. Repeat and rinse

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This. The LBO of United should be outlawed within the EPL.

If the Saudis takeover and we win the league and the CL, all will be forgotten -- and we would have rationalised the buy-over like we did with the Glazers. Reality is that we have bitched about various owners as long as I can remember.

As fans, we have till control on the ownership of the club, (see the Gold & Green malarkey.) So its pointless pontificating how much the soul of the club will be stripped out by this. Besides, the soul of the club are the fans, not just the badge and the history behind it. (See Notts County)
Barca & RM have always had structural advantages from their own leagues. The Saudis would offer another advantage instead of us fighting with one arm tied behind our backs.

There are only so many sponsorships to go around before we dilute our brand, if not already. I think we have nearly maxed out the commercial revenue streams. MUTV is the next potential frontier but with United not exactly in an enviable position or football eye candy, it will be limited for now. I can see the Glazers thinking we have 'peaked' financially and the financial risk they are willing to expose themselves to compete against the oil sheiks.

How do you keep the fans happy? For United and its history; its all about winning with style/aggressive attacking football. (Will be different for other clubs like a Burnley.) Ok, I remember United playing the in 2nd Division but we at least playing stylish aggressive football back then.

So its not about the owners. We just need to get back to winning ways and the way we used to play, compete historically.

Last edited: