5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Name

Disagree, think he's a big reason why we are suddenly a much worse team this season than last.

Our best performance this season (and Bruno's) was the first game against Leeds. We looked like a team. Greenwood looked great upfront, Bruno scored a hattrick, the team were creating chances and scoring goals. Then Ronaldo comes in and the whole dynamics of the team changes. Like it or not but Ronaldo has had a terrible influence on the team and style of play. A terrible signing who up to now has got away with it with penalties and tap-ins.
Disagree completely. Against Leeds it wasnt anything special. In parts of that game we looked all over the place too. Yeah we scored goals but apart from that I dont remember a host of chances like you're portraying.
You say he had a terrible infleence on the stlye of play. What style is that exactly?
Lets not rewrite history.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Disagree completely. Against Leeds it wasnt anything special. In parts of that game we looked all over the place too. Yeah we scored goals but apart from that I dont remember a host of chances like you're portraying.
You say he had a terrible infleence on the stlye of play. What style is that exactly?
Maybe you can educate us on that history? In your opinion, why have we mainly been playing like utter shit in the league in every game that Ronaldo starts? (and let’s not forget that his match-winning/drawing heroics in the CL usually came at the end of similarly abject team performances)

Ladron de redcafe

We bought a "guaranteed winner"...and the result was winning 6 out of 14 league games after he arrived, two of them being Norwich and Newcastle, the bottom two teams in the league, getting a record thrashing by Liverpool, losing 4-1 to Watford. It's a disastrous signing, from the team point of view of blowing all your remaining resources on a "winner" to bring you to the next level.
Sums it up well. And isn't harsh in the least bit.

He would have been a good signing if you had already won a title and he was entering a finished article of a team/had a proper structure in place. As this isn’t the case you’ll get flashes of his brilliance but also the very petulant side of Ronaldo that is a detriment to the team. His aura is great when it’s going well but when it isn’t I think his mood ala Fernandes isn’t good for morale.
That's one of the main problems, as I see it. Leaders carry their teams when the teams are struggling (and someone of Ronaldo's stature and experience should be expected to more than turn petulent and blaming teammates when facing the slightest bit of adversity.

He was a signing that some on here claimed would help elevate United from 2nd spot to champions, especially after the additions of Sancho and Varane. This has been a disappointment, by any sense of the word.

Real Name

Maybe you can educate us on that history? In your opinion, why have we mainly been playing like utter shit in the league in every game that Ronaldo starts? (and let’s not forget that his match-winning/drawing heroics in the CL usually came at the end of similarly abject team performances)
That's not a history I'm writing about. The history I meant is before Ronaldo when we supposedly were looking like a team. I hope you are satisfied with the education.

KeanoMagicHat

Fernandes has to serve Ronaldo, rather than use his best ability - attacking movement and scoring running late from midfield. As Van Persie would say "he's in my spaces". Fernandes scored more goals against Leeds than all the games since Ronaldo arrived.

Ronaldo doesn't really get involved in general play either on the ball or off the ball, doesn't dribble and his touch is poor. Still a wonderful finisher but the team isn't good enough game to game to carry a player like that. And we already were clinical enough before he arrived. It wasn't a problem finishing chances. Greenwood is one of the best finishers in the world for his age. We were 8/10 for finishing and we boosted it to 9/10, while we were 6/10 for chance creation and we knocked it down to about 3/10.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sad to say it but Ronny is the one major difference between this season and last, he has to be looked at as one of the key factors in our performances turning to complete shit.

I don’t envy Rangnick having to deal with this situation, and the same applies for Ole before him - honestly think his re-signing was a purely commercial/PR. decision rather than a football decision.
I don’t disagree with your general point but let’s not forget there were a lot of shit performances towards the end of last season too.

I think it’s more correct to say Ronaldo has exacerbated a long term problem, rather than created one that didn’t exist before.

Idxomer

We went from average and inconsistent last season to consistently shit in this one.

Of course, Ronaldo doesn't bear the sole responsibility for this but he's one significant change from last season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
People were not seeing it before because people were thinking Ole was the problem and wanted a different manager.

Now the manager has changed; one with arguably a more footballing style than Ole ever had - people can see the problems the 37 year old striker only version of Ronaldo can have.
I love your alter ego in this thread.

Real Name

Fernandes has to serve Ronaldo, rather than use his best ability - attacking movement and scoring running late from midfield. As Van Persie would say "he's in my spaces". Fernandes scored more goals against Leeds than all the games since Ronaldo arrived.

Ronaldo doesn't really get involved in general play either on the ball or off the ball, doesn't dribble and his touch is poor. Still a wonderful finisher but the team isn't good enough game to game to carry a player like that. And we already were clinical enough before he arrived. It wasn't a problem finishing chances. Greenwood is one of the best finishers in the world for his age. We were 8/10 for finishing and we boosted it to 9/10, while we were 6/10 for chance creation and we knocked it down to about 3/10.
I'm not saying his style of play isnt a problem. But he is playing crap just as the rest of the team. What I'm not agreeing is that he ruined some kind of great style of play we had before and is responsible for our downfall. Fernandes doesnt have to serve Ronaldo, maybe it seems he does only that (not to me).

Gehrman

Ronaldo has been crap a lot. But the whole team has mostly been crap. He can be part of the problem, but he's not the main problem.

UnitedFan93

I'll take the Leeds performance over the crap that we've seen since with Ronaldo in the team.

Last season we were the second top scorers in the league, playing counter attacking football, with pace upfront, with Bruno pulling the strings. Not only do we not look like scoring, but we've lost the ability to conter-attack, with Ronaldo upfront. It's obvious.

Real Name

I'll take the Leeds performance over the crap that we've seen since with Ronaldo in the team.

Last season we were the second top scorers in the league, playing counter attacking football, with pace upfront, with Bruno pulling the strings. Not only do we not look like scoring, but we've lost the ability to conter-attack, with Ronaldo upfront. It's obvious.
All right. I guess the only problem with Ole is he bought Ronaldo and if he hasnt he'd be at the helm now.

Mickson

An incredibly boring player to watch. Also a shit human being. Didn't want him here in the first place, still don't want him. I don't care how many tap-ins he will do. Play three attackers who can move on the pitch, with technical ability and pace. Greenwood and Sancho should be two of them to build this team around.

Gehrman

We can all argue the toss about whether Ronaldo has created a new problem for the team or not.

Maybe we can all agree that he definitely hasn’t fixed any of the problems from last season, has he?

Which makes him a completely pointless signing, at best.
Pretty much. An expensive in wages. Gotta stop pretending he's a world class striker in his prime. He's a bit like our Zlatan signing.

Fluctuation0161

I still find it hard imagining him in a Pep system.... I'd like to say he'd have like 25 goals by now if he went there, but Zlatan truly struggled with it, so it's a tough one.

But still, he doesn't have 25 goals for City.... that's a win, right?
Sanchez didn't either.

Fluctuation0161

Ronaldo is the least of this teams problems, but typical Gary Neville to go in two footed on Ronny but forgets about players like Maguire who have been shite all season. It smacks of xenophobia and I think more and more fans are seeing through Gary Neville and English media agenda soundbites now it was the same with dismissing Rangnicks formation pre-match something he would never do to Ole or English manager. I don't know why he doesn't do football fans a favour and feck off to become a politician. Him and Carragher have become stale and too agenda driven. I'm cancelling my Sky subscription tomorrow because the punditry it's not fair. We seen it for years with Souness and Pogba too let's call it out for what it is.. it's xenophobia.. maybe they feel they need to cater to Brexit Britain but I'm not having it anymore they are going way too far crossing the line!

anyway Ronny will probably leave at the end of the season he's won everything in football and has nothing left to prove to anyone unlike the likes of Bruno Fernandes, Harry Maguire etc who are almost 30 years old and have won feck all because they are not winners but get put on pedestals for getting top 4 last season.. He's not happy (hence the running down the tunnel he's frustrated as much as the fans are) and I don't blame him.. he's not getting any service from his team-mates which should be the priority when you are as deadly and have a goal-scoring record as good as Ronaldo it should command respect.. Cavani got a chance created for him but why couldn't we create a chance like that for Ronaldo whole game? Sancho could've made an easy pass to Ronaldo to score when the keeper messed up but chose not to for whatever reason when it was a simple pass and goal. Many instances like that this season.. in the first half against Newcastle tonight Ronaldo was in a few times but the pass was either too underhit or overhit in terms of power.

the guy is 36, he relies on service at his age but he's still the best in the business at scoring goals if he gets the service. We knew that before signing him so we knew what we was buying. The team and club have failed Ronaldo. His goal record and stats speak for themselves he's done his job that's why every manager (yes including Rangnick who the English media was thinking/hoping would drop Ronaldo haha! Jokes) picks him (he can't select himself).

He will continue to shut mouths and prove the haters/doubters wrong in the next games that's why I'm not worried or even bothering reading the negative comments after 1 game from the same people who will be singing his praises when he scores and is the main-reason this club gets top if Ronaldo goes on a mad goal-scoring run as I have faith in Ronny to bounce back like he always does unlike some who can't wait to criticise Ronaldo when he doesn't score in 1 game everything is a polemic and made into a drama with Ronaldo when he doesn't score in a game (like Gary Neville mentioning Ronaldo going straight down the tunnel he's done that before when the team has won and he's scored but it only gets highlighted and blown up to be a drama by the media when Ronaldo doesn't score in a game and the team doesn't win and some so-called fans fall for the media agenda sadly) but the hate makes him stronger and keeps him relevant to make him too important not to rise above it so keep it up. Bye.
Some fair points. But Ronaldo was poor that game. Him, Rashford and Maguire where our worst players.

Neville gets frustrated but then only goes in on players he hasn't recently worked with.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He's been good in the CL but honestly his league performances haven't been great. He offers next to nothing, take a look at Cavani and his impact. I think Ronaldo needs to be dropped but I doubt it's going to happen.

Reactions: Sultan

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I just don't think he has the energy and strength to compete with the physicality of the premiership anymore. He still seems to be fine in Europe. Just don't think his game outside of his goals warrants a start in every game. It's time Ronaldo accepted he is not a starter and would be better suited to come on as an impact sub when our younger strikers or even Cavani tired out the defenders.

Real Name

I just don't think he has the energy and strength to compete with the physicality of the premiership anymore. He still seems to be fine in Europe. Just don't think his game outside of his goals warrants a start in every game. It's time Ronaldo accepted he is not a starter and would be better suited to come on as an impact sub when our younger strikers or even Cavani tired out the defenders.
I dont know where's the Ronaldo must start every game and he'll make a mess if he doesnt notion comes from. He didnt start what 2 or 3 games and didnt say a thing about it. Dropping him shouldnt be something disastrous to the club or something.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I love your alter ego in this thread.
:D

I've had the alter ego about this for a long time now. Whilst he is my GOAT when looking at his accomplishments through his whole career - I don't think he is playing like a GOAT right now which is understandable due to things like his age, change in position to a central striker and playing in the toughest league in the world.

Still the best ever, but for me at the age of 36-37 not good enough for us trying to compete in the hardest league possible.

KeanoMagicHat

Maybe we can all agree that he definitely hasn’t fixed any of the problems from last season, has he?

That's in a nutshell. And for it all, a massive wage bill and a place in the team instead of a younger player (Greenwood denied a run of games as striker for example). He was bought to win games, we're not winning games.

UnitedFan93

All right. I guess the only problem with Ole is he bought Ronaldo and if he hasnt he'd be at the helm now.
He probably would to be honest. Ronaldo definitely accelerated his sacking. Let's hope the trend doesn't continue with the next permanent manager; by then I hope Ronaldo is long gone.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The sad thing is that he won't. And even more damning is that Fergie had openly called out Ole for not starting him (and repeated the accusation like a week ago), and you certainly have a feeling that our board has clear intentions for Cristiano to start every game.

Sultan

He was still our most dangerous attacker on the pitch until Cavani came on.
Really? I was at the game last night and you do miss some action when the mind and eyes wander. Can you please share some examples?

Josh 76

Not getting into a conversation on his merits as a footballer. I just don’t like him. I hate the way he sulks and throws his arms around when somebody else fecks up despite the fact he cocks up himself plenty, I don’t like the diving, I don’t like the histrionics aimed at the referee and I don’t like the way he plays up to the camera. I won’t be sorry to see him go in the summer.

Contrast him to Cavani. Night and day.
Totally agree

Real Name

He probably would to be honest. Ronaldo definitely accelerated his sacking. Let's hope the trend doesn't continue with the next permanent manager; by then I hope Ronaldo is long gone.
I hope with more structure in our play he'll come good.

Gehrman

We can all argue the toss about whether Ronaldo has created a new problem for the team or not.

Defense crap(despite Varane). Midfield crap(should have bought a midfielder). Our forward line is crap even with the addition of Ronaldo. So yeah. nothing solved.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He's been good in the CL but honestly his league performances haven't been great. He offers next to nothing, take a look at Cavani and his impact. I think Ronaldo needs to be dropped but I doubt it's going to happen.
Yeah he still scores some good goals but otherwise he does not offer anything. One good lay-off for Bruno though, but with all due respect he is not what a team in our position needs.

KeanoMagicHat

The sad thing is that he won't. And even more damning is that Fergie had openly called out Ole for not starting him (and repeated the accusation like a week ago), and you certainly have a feeling that our board has clear intentions for Cristiano to start every game.
I hated this at the time. It was a start of the end for Ole. Because in that game we were actually winning before he came on and playing reasonably well in attack... then he came on and we were awful. Yet Ole still got blamed for not starting him. It was the worst thing that Fergie has done to interfere with the club since he left. I know he didn't intend to be filmed, but that was like something post-Busby everyone feared.

Bebestation

I hated this at the time. It was a start of the end for Ole. Because in that game we were actually winning before he came on and playing reasonably well in attack... then he came on and we were awful. Yet Ole still got blamed for not starting him. It was the worst thing that Fergie has done to interfere with the club since he left. I know he didn't intend to be filmed, but that was like something post-Busby everyone feared.
This. If I remember right vs Everton.

Sultan

I dont know where's the Ronaldo must start every game and he'll make a mess if he doesnt notion comes from. He didnt start what 2 or 3 games and didnt say a thing about it. Dropping him shouldnt be something disastrous to the club or something.
See @harms post above.

mu4c_20le

Really? I was at the game last night and you do miss some action when the mind and eyes wander. Can you please share some examples?
Think itwas the second half, he got the ball near the box and the Newcastle defenders shit themselves and immediately surrounded him. He dribbled the ball with his left and tried to find space for a shot, but ended up passing it back. Ok he didn't have much service all night, but he's a finisher, and the passing was non existent tonight.

Bebestation

Think itwas the second half, he got the ball near the box and the Newcastle defenders shit themselves and immediately surrounded him. He dribbled the ball with his left and tried to find space for a shot, but ended up passing it back. Ok he didn't have much service all night, but he's a finisher, and the passing was non existent tonight.
That's the thing though - we have to change our whole team in to a service mode just to get the best out of a 36 year old Ronaldo playing as a striker.

Then people start wondering why Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Goalscoring Bruno have not been producing like they did.

Sultan

Yes.

Cavani was playing really well and was subbed. You could see Cavani was visibly upset and being subbed when playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.