Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Pin this to the top of every page.

Ronaldo done what was is expected of a striker. It’s up to others to supply him the good.

Hopefully Ralf shows this to our so called footballers, the ones who can’t string a pass together.
I must say, there is more. This clearly shows that he made enough good off the ball runs which were good, but he was quite poor on the ball in my opinion. But at least, let's find him. The service was very poor.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
How does Cavani always end up with so many chances? Cavani could have had a hat trick in 2nd half, and he was playing with the same players.
Ronaldo ends up with many chances quite often as well, just not today. Cavani might have better positioning in the box at this stage in their careers, but most of these clips were when Newcastle's defensive line was quite high and Ronaldo made excellent runs. Exactly like RvP used to, but back then we could actually find him.

Cavani is a fox in the box, when Newcastle were defending deeper we were a bit better at finding him.

Cavani's movement is great nonetheless in all aspects, it has always been his #1 strength.

Ixion

Several of the examples in that video are passes that Pogba could make but others wouldn't try, except maybe Fernandes but its not working for him at the moment.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Making runs isn't the only thing a striker has to do, it's actually the bare minimum.
Indeed. So what else did he do?

31 passes in 90 minutes (vs Rashford, who had a very poor game, with 47)
37 touches (59 for Rashford)
20 carries (42 for Rashford)
1 attempted dribble (7 for Rashford)
0 shots on target (1 for Rashford)
0 tackles (2 for Rashford)
7 pressures (16 for Rashford)

Basically, he was shit. Contributed almost nothing. And a video showing him making approximately one run in behind every 15 minutes is supposed to convince us his completely anonymous performance was the fault of other players. Good one.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
That video does make me die a bit inside. Two first XI Manchester United central midfielders who lack the ability to pass to the striker. It's really something when the best odds of finding a centre forward are for your CMFs to pass it back to your CB - who can actually use the ball.

But, that video doesn't show all the times Ronnie was really poor too. He kep trying these little back heel touches that didn't work, missed a few short passes and didn't make himself available nearly often enough towards the ball.

If all the rumours are true this morning, his team are briefing that Racknick's methods don't suit him. While I could see that, I could also see the far more 'direct' approach requiring a striker to those runs in the video - but also requiring a midfielder to try and pass it. That must be pretty frustrating.

As people have been saying for approximately a decade, Manchester United play football in spite of its midfield.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Indeed. So what else did he do?

31 passes in 90 minutes (vs Rashford, who had a very poor game, with 47)
37 touches (59 for Rashford)
20 carries (42 for Rashford)
1 attempted dribble (7 for Rashford)
0 shots on target (1 for Rashford)
0 tackles (2 for Rashford)
7 pressures (16 for Rashford)

Basically, he was shit. Contributed almost nothing. And a video showing him making approximately one run in behind every 15 minutes is supposed to convince us his completely anonymous performance was the fault of other players. Good one.
While you do have a point, they weren't actually playing the same position.

IhabX7

How does Cavani always end up with so many chances? Cavani could have had a hat trick in 2nd half, and he was playing with the same players.
Watch his chances again. He's definitely a clever mover off the ball, but you also have to factor in that the defenders are tracking Ronaldo. We should definitely capitalize on this, and play Cavani next to Ronaldo as he's much better at this than Rashford. Greenwood will get there.

SonyaCross493

Ibra starts for potential Italian champions AC Milan at 40/41 years of age and there's talk of him getting a new contract too because the club is so pleased with him.

how come Ibra can start for AC Milan at 40 years of age (and he started for Manchester United not far off Ronaldo's agebut some people think Ronaldo can't start for top 4 contenders Manchester United at 36/37 years of age especially with the way Ronaldo looks after himself and lack of serious injuries.

I don't understand the difference. Especially when Ronaldo is a genuine GOAT and the best goal scorer statistically of all-time.

the media and pundits in England are horrible with the agendas. Sadly a lot of fans fall for it judging by the comments in this thread too :( Sad.

the media and fans didn't go on about Ibra's pressing when he played and started ALL the games for Manchester United. And he was around Ronaldo's age! It's a disgrace.

Last edited:

Rojow

Zlatan is playing in Seria A. That's a huge difference. And as others had stated, Zlatan can hold the ball at least. Ronaldo has never done this, and he is playing as our CF.

Many of us saw this problem would happen, but mucho more were just amazed by the fact CR7 was again in a United shirt when was the least we needed to rebuild the team.

SonyaCross493

Zlatan is playing in Seria A. That's a huge difference. And as others had stated, Zlatan can hold the ball at least. Ronaldo has never done this, and he is playing as our CF.

Many of us saw this problem would happen, but mucho more were just amazed by the fact CR7 was again in a United shirt when was the least we needed to rebuild the team.
Zlatan started every game for Manchester United near Ronaldo's age yet the media and fans never once mentioned his lack of pressing.. I wonder why!? Could it be agendas..
:confused:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Zlatan started every game for Manchester United near Ronaldo's age yet the media and fans never once mentioned his lack of pressing.. I wonder why!? Could it be agendas..
Because Mourinho doesn't press - he is more likely to have the team sitting back to park the bus.

Matt851

Neither haaland or lukaku are poachers. lukaku carried the ball half the length of the pitch to win the penalty the other day, not something I would expect from a poacher. Both can also comfortably play on their own upfront whereas Ronaldo needs someone with him.

I suppose you will name lewandowski next, the most complete striker in europe

Wouldn't exactly describe leicester or dortmund as the level we should aspire to either

Ixion

If it makes you feel better people on here crapped on Zlatan every week. His 28 goals were a disappointment and he should have had 40 at a minimum were said regularly.

Bebestation

Watch his chances again. He's definitely a clever mover off the ball, but you also have to factor in that the defenders are tracking Ronaldo. We should definitely capitalize on this, and play Cavani next to Ronaldo as he's much better at this than Rashford. Greenwood will get there.
Greenwood will never do the things that Benzema, Rooney and Cavani can do as support for Ronaldo.

He is more a player who is going to play off the last defender than be the one who holds it up an attempts to bring another striker in.

This is why he has played as a RW. Its also why Rashford and Ronaldo doesn't work. Rashford and Greenwood are not players able to hold the ball up and bring others in to play.

Cavani is and this is why he needs to partner Ronaldo like Ole did vs Spurs.

Rashford and Greenwood are more likely to be better in partnership due to their ability to drift wide or cut in centrally when dribbling or both is runs in behind the defenders, though they need someone like a false 9 setting them up.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
It's nothing to do with any kind of agenda.

We have just hired a manager whose primary tactical feature is pressing - this is why players who are incapable of or unwilling to press are being highlighted.

Had we hired a manager who prefers tiki-taka, people would be rightfully pointing to our players with limited ball control, first touch and passing skills.

Bebestation

a reply to the Ronaldo doesn't get a pass video.

Anustart89

It's nothing to do with any kind of agenda.

We have just hired a manager whose primary tactical feature is pressing - this is why players who are incapable of or unwilling to press are being highlighted.

Had we hired a manager who prefers tiki-taka, people would be rightfully pointing to our players with limited ball control, first touch and passing skills.
You’re making a fair point with regards to RR but the Ronaldo and pressing thing started under Ole who isn’t RR and famous for his pressing style of play.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
You’re making a fair point with regards to RR but the Ronaldo and pressing thing started under Ole who isn’t RR and famous for his pressing style of play.
Ole had no kind of tactical ideas to speak of let alone a defining system of play so I suppose pundits were given free reign to choose their own grievances with players in that period :D

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If it makes you feel better people on here crapped on Zlatan every week. His 28 goals were a disappointment and he should have had 40 at a minimum were said regularly.
Pressing was widespread in the Bundesliga at that point but not that common in the Premier League. Mourinho was practically anti-pressing. New managers in the PL, a few from Germany, made it more commonplace along with it taking a more prominent role in the CL. It just wasn’t part of the conversation then. But if Ibrahimovic was playing for us now he would also be criticised for his inability to press, and the knock-on effects that has on the team. It’s just a different time. Weird you need to find some kind of conspiracy to explain it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I had Rashford as one of the 10s, with Ronaldo and Greenwood (then Cavani) up top.
I don’t think so. Anyway, Greenwood’s stats are similarly superior to Ronaldo’s extrapolated to 90 minutes (and he also had a very poor game)

That’s the really damning thing. Both Rashford and Greenwood had stinkers but each made more or less twice the contribution Ronaldo did, by every metric.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
:lol: It's hilarious. There's more to being a striker than making these Rashford type runs off the shoulder FFS. People will big up anything he does.
Who is making the point that this is all there is to being a striker?

Are you arguing against that there were numerous runs in that clip which Ronaldo made, that could lead to dangerous situations if our players were decent at passing the ball?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol: It's hilarious. There's more to being a striker than making these Rashford type runs off the shoulder FFS. People will big up anything he does.
The main part being scoring goals and he could have had at least 2 if we were better at passing yesterday

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Does anyone actually think or believe that signing Ronaldo has made us a better team
I think we'd be worse off without him giving Cavani's injuries. If we had Mason and Martial up front for most of the season, I think we'd be in the EL and even lower in the league table.

Our football is horrible and we overperformed xG for a long while, it was bound to come down crashing.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think so. Anyway, Greenwood’s stats are similarly superior to Ronaldo’s extrapolated to 90 minutes (and he also had a very poor game)

That’s the really damning thing. Both Rashford and Greenwood had stinkers but each made more or less twice the contribution Ronaldo did, by every metric.
I'm not sure about the rest of his stats but Cavani had less touches than Greenwood but scored with 2/5 shots on target. Our only striker to really affect the game.

Pronewbie

Peep
Does anyone actually think or believe that signing Ronaldo has made us a better team
The team would have been knocked out of the Champions League if not for him. IMO because of Ronnie’s play-style, temperament and demands on his team-mates, him returning has highlighted and exacerbated the weak and selfish mentality of some of our players.

Which is good for the decision-makers to know, especially if they were previously shielded by Ole.

So yes, we are over-achieving (at least in the Champions League) and if we react correctly, will be able to build a much stronger team. Even if it means that Ronnie has to go. I see it as a positive.

Let’s just hope we fluke our way into the CL final.

troylocker

It was like this before he arrived. He's obviously not perfect but the idea that he broke this team is daft.
It wasn’t. We concede more goals, score fewer goals, win fewer points, create fewer chances, concede more chances and play less direct fotball with him than we did before he arrived. These are statistical facts. It’s also valid for the small amount of time without him on the pitch after his arrival.
He doesn’t make the players around him better, quite the contrary. When everyone one else gets 5% extra workload and we don’t win the ball when our opponents are out of balance as often, that changes the dynamics of our game completely. Ronaldo plays for himself and no one else. He‘s there to score important goals every now and then, but goes completely missing when we don’t have the ball or on cold nights in, let’s say, Newcastle when an extra shift is needed. Instead of being an inspiring leader on the pitch, he sucks the life out of you with his bodylanguage when things get tough.
He was one of the main factors for the Juve era’s end as well. Serie A went from being a one team league to a wide open one in 1,5 seasons with him at Juve.

He’s had an unbelievable career and a fantastic 10 year long peak where he took goalscoring to another level, but now his status is way bigger than the player he currently is, and that drags us down. it’s not possible to make a top team click with the current version of him in it, unless he suddenly changes his personality, attitude and workethics on the pitch, and I don’t think that’s going to happen.

troylocker

Ibra starts for potential Italian champions AC Milan at 40/41 years of age and there's talk of him getting a new contract too because the club is so pleased with him.

how come Ibra can start for AC Milan at 40 years of age (and he started for Manchester United not far off Ronaldo's agebut some people think Ronaldo can't start for top 4 contenders Manchester United at 36/37 years of age especially with the way Ronaldo looks after himself and lack of serious injuries.

I don't understand the difference. Especially when Ronaldo is a genuine GOAT and the best goal scorer statistically of all-time.

the media and pundits in England are horrible with the agendas. Sadly a lot of fans fall for it judging by the comments in this thread too :( Sad.

the media and fans didn't go on about Ibra's pressing when he played and started ALL the games for Manchester United. And he was around Ronaldo's age! It's a disgrace.
Zlatans pressing numbers was 2xRonaldo’s, and still is. Ronaldo’s goalscoring was GOAT level, it isn’t anymore. Sadly a lot of fans judge him on past achievements and levels, which is not what we are getting now.

yipthatman

I wonder what the stats are for with Ronaldo/without Ronaldo win rate. Cracking world class player but his return isn't quite working for some reason (or a combination of reasons)

Rajma

I think our board definitely has a hand in the amount of his playing time. I remember RR mentioned in one of his interviews that he had spoken about Cristiano with the board before joining us and reassured them that “he’s happy to work with him”.

Idxomer

I think our board definitely has a hand in the amount of his playing time. I remember RR mentioned in one of his interviews that he had spoken about Cristiano with the board before joining us and reassured them that “he’s happy to work with him”.
It's probably in his contract.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The main part being scoring goals and he could have had at least 2 if we were better at passing yesterday
I'd like to see people make such weak arguments for Lukaku. Or if only we had Makelele, Maguire would be the bestest.

Status
Not open for further replies.