5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonyaCross493

Doesn't matter anymore does it.. Ronaldo will be gone in the summer anyway and people in this thread who are relentlessly going over the top criticising him and his whole season based on 1 game will get what they want and everyone can move on.. Same for the British Media like Sky, Talksport, The Sun etc they will kill the Golden Goose and lose loads of viewers and they only have themselves to blame for scapegoating.

yes you can say someone has had a bad game and move on but when you are relentlessly posting constantly bringing up stats etc to criticise a players whole season it screams agenda and going over the top.. That some people have the energy to search for these negative things about their own player to criticise them says more about them. If only football was based on stats eh? Here's a stat and fact; We wouldn't be in the Champions League if it wasn't for Ronaldo..

Like the great Brian Clough said football is a simple game and all these stats and VAR etc are actually killing the game.. I hate modern football and the new generation of football fans it's so soul-less and tribal constantly using stats etc to settle arguements that use to be settled down the pub with actual debates now they are settled and argued behind a computer keyboard using stats on Twitter drinking green tea instead of pints of beer down the pub .. and modern football is all about creating dramas and talking points with TV Pundits, Sky and Clickbaits etc

one thing I admire about Liverpool fans is the way they treat their club legends and look after them. I wish I could say the same for United fans.

that's all.

have a nice day.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I guess that's socialmedia for you in 2022. Funny though that you directly after your first sentence state four of your opinions on him as facts.....
Why is that funny? I just said people were polemic and then said my view which was very general and middle of the road.

Glorio

Doesn't matter anymore does it.. Ronaldo will be gone in the summer anyway and people in this thread who are relentlessly going over the top criticising him and his whole season based on 1 game will get what they want and everyone can move on.. Same for the British Media like Sky, Talksport, The Sun etc they will kill the Golden Goose and lose loads of viewers and they only have themselves to blame for scapegoating.

yes you can say someone has had a bad game and move on but when you are relentlessly posting constantly bringing up stats etc to criticise a players whole season it screams agenda and going over the top.. That some people have the energy to search for these negative things about their own player to criticise them says more about them. If only football was based on stats eh? Here's a stat and fact; We wouldn't be in the Champions League if it wasn't for Ronaldo..

Like the great Brian Clough said football is a simple game and all these stats and VAR etc are actually killing the game.. I hate modern football and the new generation of football fans it's so soul-less and tribal constantly using stats etc to settle arguements that use to be settled down the pub with actual debates now they are settled and argued behind a computer keyboard using stats on Twitter drinking green tea instead of pints of beer down the pub .. and modern football is all about creating dramas and talking points with TV Pundits, Sky and Clickbaits etc

one thing I admire about Liverpool fans is the way they treat their club legends and look after them. I wish I could say the same for United fans.

that's all.

have a nice day.
Will you remain on this forum if he does leave?

Strelok

FBREF stats
0 Goals
0 Assists
0.0 xA
3 Shots
0 Shots on Target
34 Touches
6 Presses
0.0 xA
26 Carries (5 Progressive)
0 Dribbles attempted

Ivan Toney, In the same game.
1 Goals
0 Assists
0.5 xA
4 Shots
2 Shots on Target
42 Touches
17 Presses
20 Carries (3 Progressive)
1 Dribble attempted (0 successful)

Bear in mind United had more possession than Brentford. So we find ourselves, not for the first time this season, with reasonable evidence that we’d have been better off with the striker from the relegation threatened opposition playing for us up front.

And now for some stats from an actual top striker (even though he’s miles below his best form). Harry Kane, against Leicester.

1 Goal
1 Assist
0.4 xA
10 Shots
2 Shots on Target
40 Touches
18 Presses
33 Carries (6 Progressive)
5 Dribbles attempted (2 successful)
The stats don't lie.

He basically had a nothing game until the chest pass. Worst thing is I actually thought he was miles better than against Wolves, Newcastle etc. watching the game. Dear me. He has become so bad now even an average, nothing performance is an achievement.

In fact, my expectation for him is now so low that I actually don't expect anything from him at all.

the_cliff

that's all.

have a nice day.
He's shit with the eye test as well.

You know Ronaldo's had a really shit season when his fanboys/fangirls don't want to use stats. :lol::lol:

Ronaldo is more of a Madrid legend than a United legend, I'm sorry to break it to you but he wouldn't be in the top 10 legends in United history. So stop the legend talk.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't really understand where all this hate is coming from I guess a lot of people here expected Ronaldo to carry the corpses on our team to a treble or something but have to realize real life is sadly not a movie and there's more to a good team than just having a great striker.
Hardly. The current schism was formed the moment it became apparent that Ronaldo coming back was a realistic possibility.

In other words, the people who are now criticizing him most actively ether didn't want him back - or were less than 100% enthusiastic about it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

that's all.

have a nice day.
:lol: bloody hell

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Don’t worry, he will score a penalty in the next game, and the “siuuu”, “carrying United”, “clutch king” quotes will be back. Cannot wait

SirMonteyne

I have no idea how you guys support the team. Thanks to Ronaldo, I've had very enjoyable UCL nights. He is currently out of form for a few games (not for the whole half-season), this is when you support your star players. He needs game time to get his confidence back in his feet, also cheers from fans. The most important matches are coming soon, before that we need him to get his form back.

I don't think you are the smartest guy in a room if you like to say "Ha, I told you so, he is so finished, he is a crybaby" whenever he fails or anything. Luckily, people who attend the stadium on match days are being better.

phelans shorts

that's all.

have a nice day.
Wait so you’re against modern football because people are being rightly critical about a player who’s playing shite? A player who’s treated the club like dirt in the past, LITERALLY referring to himself as a slave?

Hell if anything I’d say that he’s the embodiment of modern football, given that to the eye he isn’t in the same universe as Messi, but because he’s got some stats on his side people call him the GOAT, which is madness.

Oh, and I pray you’re right and he does feck off in the summer. He should never have been signed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hardly. The current schism was formed the moment it became apparent that Ronaldo coming back was a realistic possibility.

In other words, the people who are now criticizing him most actively ether didn't want him back - or were less than 100% enthusiastic about it.
Hmmm. I’d say it’s more of a mixed bag than you imply. I was giddy as anyone when he signed. Heart over head completely. The brace against Newcastle and CL goals reinforced my irrational enthusiasm. I’ve only gradually fallen out of love with the idea since then, after it became more and more apparent how little he contributes on the pitch.

lex talionis

The personal criticism of Ronaldo is ridiculous. He is human and he will go through a bad match. His career is near its end, but when we go into the CL match soon for us I’d much rather put my trust on him than on any of our other forwards to lead the line.

troylocker

I don't know why people always have to be so polemic about him. He's not a massive problem for the club and he's also not been the saviour some hoped.

We would be out of the Champions League without him though. It's clear he's better suited to that competition at the moment.
Why is that funny? I just said people were polemic and then said my view which was very general and middle of the road.
I think all four of the claims were very much up for discussion and I can't see any of your rethorics saying anywhere that this is your personal views.
In my opinion the whole socialmedia-platform makes debates polarized because so many does exactly what you just did: disguise their opinions as facts with rethorics like yours, and of course much worse. To me it doesn't matter whether the claims are controversal, right, left or center as long as they claim to be factual, and are aimed to undermine all who makes different claims.

"He's not a massive problem for the club" - Well, that's definitely up for debate.
"He's not been the saviour som hoped" - While I agree, some still think he's save our arses more than once so far.
"We would be out of the Champions League without him" - Might be and might not be in my opinion. The only thing that is 100% certain is that those 5 matches would have been 100% different without him.
" It's clear he's better suited to that competition at the moment" - While I agree to some degree, that is also up for debate. I don't think we played particularly well in the CL with him, and when tougher opponents awaits in the KOs, I'm not sure Ronaldo is the answer there either.

None of the claims backed up with arguments.

When you started your post the way you did, it made me smile.

Ixion

I would be interested to see how his stats compare to Ibrahimovic these days, he is a few years older but physically seems to still be at a good level. Ronaldo is in shape but doesn't seem strong on the ball now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think all four of the claims were very much up for discussion and I can't see any of your rethorics saying anywhere that this is your personal views.
In my opinion the whole socialmedia-platform makes debates polarized because so many does exactly what you just did: disguise their opinions as facts with rethorics like yours, and of course much worse. To me it doesn't matter whether the claims are controversal, right, left or center as long as they claim to be factual, and are aimed to undermine all who makes different claims.

"He's not a massive problem for the club" - Well, that's definitely up for debate.
"He's not been the saviour som hoped" - While I agree, some still think he's save our arses more than once so far.
"We would be out of the Champions League without him" - Might be and might not be in my opinion. The only thing that is 100% certain is that those 5 matches would have been 100% different without him.
" It's clear he's better suited to that competition at the moment" - While I agree to some degree, that is also up for debate. I don't think we played particularly well in the CL with him, and when tougher opponents awaits in the KOs, I'm not sure Ronaldo is the answer there either.

None of the claims backed up with arguments.

When you started your post the way you did, it made me smile.
I shouldn't have to preface every post by stating it's just my opinion. It goes without saying.

Also not everything has to be backed up with arguments. I'm not taking part in debate club, it's just an observation.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hmmm. I’d say it’s more of a mixed bag than you imply. I was giddy as anyone when he signed. Heart over head completely. The brace against Newcastle and CL goals reinforced my irrational enthusiasm. I’ve only gradually fallen out of love with the idea since then, after it became more and more apparent how little he contributes on the pitch.
But you presumably didn't think that he'd drag a profoundly shit team to glory on his own?

Which is what the poster I quoted implied.

I was skeptical about Ronaldo myself - but not 100% negative. However, at the time I hoped we had a pretty decent team on the whole, and that Ronaldo could - possibly, hopefully - turn out to be an icing on the cake type of addition.

MichaelRed

Some absolute freaks on here. Comes back from injury, is involved in both the goals when he was on the pitch, rarely gave the ball away, tracked back & did his defensive work but yet some on here are describing his performance as "utter shite" and "diabolical". I hope our striker can be this diabolical every game if that's the case.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Might as well bring Scholes back from retirement and drop Mctominay then. Ronaldo is not in the top 10 best players in the EPL this season, every time you criticise Ronaldo there's always at least one fanboy that mentions his previous years as a player as if that has any relationship with his current performances.

Greenwood has comfortably played better and been more of a threat in the last 6-7 games than Ronaldo has and therefore deserves to start over Ronaldo, regardless of how many goals Ronaldo has scored in his career or what he has achieved.

Just because the player is an all time great doesn't give him the right to stink out the place every week and not have his starting place under threat.

His last 7 performances have been absolutely average, shit and nowhere near the Ronaldo of old. If you can't admit that you're doing a disservice to how good Ronaldo was in his prime.
All I said was I kinda liked his reaction. People leapt down my throat because I dared disagree. Have a day off!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
His chest pass was a pre assist. If Bruno were to shoot it would have counted as a chance created.

That's beside the point. In 70+ mins all he contributed of note was a chest pass. From a player who is supposed to be our most dangerous attacking threat. The player we have built our team around, the player who is on 400k+ per week, the player we have sacrificed style of play for. The player most people claim to be carrying us this season, the player who can't be subbed off or dropped without acting like the world is ending.

All for a chest pass to Bruno.

:lol: :lol:
Unless I am mistaken, a chance created isn't an assist. So you're bolded part makes zero sense.

He created the "chance", he didn't make the assist, he created the chance for the assist to take place.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But you presumably didn't think that he'd drag a profoundly shit team to glory on his own?

Which is what the poster I quoted implied.

I was skeptical about Ronaldo myself - but not 100% negative. However, at the time I hoped we had a pretty decent team on the whole, and that Ronaldo could - possibly, hopefully - turn out to be an icing on the cake type of addition.
Oh, right. Yeah. I’m not actually sure what sort of impact I thought he’d make. I probably didn’t even want to think about that. Because as soon as you looked at the move with even a hint of rationality it started to look like a terrible idea. So much more appealing to stick my fingers in my hears and hum Viva Ronaldo.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Maybe he thought our defense (Maguire)is shit and we should keep attacking to compensate for when our defense inevitably lets a few goals in. If anyone of you had to put your fate in Ronaldo vs Maguire what would you do? We switched to a defensive style of play but you only do that when you have a dependable defensive unit. We conceded a goal after that change and Maguire was incolved and couldn't defend to save his life. If your defense is weak, you keep attacking to score more, Rashford did but not everyone expected him to based on his past few games.
He probably just wanted to be in there to at least score a goal to widen the gap. It's probably more of a play on your strengths not your weaknesses situation where he thought Ralf was trusting our defense too much.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So many on here associate Ronaldo with that late-2000s glorious period in the club's history, and were devastated when he left. When you also combine that with the insane success he had a Real Madrid whilst we were going into decline, so many saw him as the embodiment of what we once had and lost, and that added to his mythical status on here.

Now, he's back and he hasn't propelled the club immediately back into a glorious period as he was never going to, so there is this deep insecurity and almost embarrassment that we are dragging him down and aren't good enough for him. People try and offset their rather weird and insecure feelings by turning on him very quickly and being hyper-critical of him.

Sorry to go into a crackpot psychological theory but I think that's what's happening when he gets stick.

troylocker

I have no idea how you guys support the team. Thanks to Ronaldo, I've had very enjoyable UCL nights. He is currently out of form for a few games (not for the whole half-season), this is when you support your star players. He needs game time to get his confidence back in his feet, also cheers from fans. The most important matches are coming soon, before that we need him to get his form back.

I don't think you are the smartest guy in a room if you like to say "Ha, I told you so, he is so finished, he is a crybaby" whenever he fails or anything. Luckily, people who attend the stadium on match days are being better.
The problem though is that even when he was scoring at a higher rate than he has been lately, he's been a big problem for us in my opinion. I think our overall performances and way of playing football hasn't been as good as they should be with him. The data has been plastered all over this thread, and I think it's pretty obvious that we are struggling to compensate for his lacking defensive efforts (those have actually been upped the last 4-5 games, still to an extremely low level, but still slightly improved from the start of the season) and the change of game dynamics that comes with playing with a player like him.

I think playing with a striker who presses less and/or makes fewer negative runs than an average forward comes with some costs compared to playing with a player type that has this attributes:
- You do not win the ball as often in the attacking 3rd.
- You let the opponents enter our half more often.
- You gain possession when our opponents are organiced more often.
- You catch the opponent unorganized less often.
- You counterattack less often.
- You create fewer chances and you concede more chances.
- The rest of your players must cover more ground and larger areas to cover for a player like this -> Becomes more pumped and gets caught out of position more often.

It's a long time since we've seen a player with as low pressingnumbers in top football as Ronaldo's this season.
Has Ronaldo's return in form of goals, linkup play, holdup play and assists made it worth this sacrifice?

I think we play worse with him than without him in the long run whether he is having a good or a bad day on the pitch.
And yes, I enjoy every goal he scores as well.

I think we need the whole team in good form, and we need to support and build up all of them.

By the way: I didn't think bad form could touch goat-players with elite mentality. Class is permanent is what I've been told in here. Or maybe he's getting older and the decline is a fact?

Water Melon

Ralf did the correct thing by subbing Cristiano off, and was absolutely honest in his post-match interview. Ronnie will have to live with it. There is no entitlement when it comes to football. If he believes he deserves better he will push for a move come summer, and I could not care less if we sold him. He is past it, he craves for attention, and he is our highest earner. Next season he is very likely to be used as a super sub if we switch to pressing style, which he won't be happy with either. Same applies to each and every player under a fair manager. You are supposed to do it as a team. The team and results come first and foremost. Not happy with being subbed off. Show what you are worth on the pitch.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
So many on here associate Ronaldo with that late-2000s glorious period in the club's history, and were devastated when he left. When you also combine that with the insane success he had a Real Madrid whilst we were going into decline, so many saw him as the embodiment of what we once had and lost, and that added to his mythical status on here.

Now, he's back and he hasn't propelled the club immediately back into a glorious period as he was never going to, so there is this deep insecurity and almost embarrassment that we are dragging him down and aren't good enough for him. People try and offset their rather weird and insecure feelings by turning on him very quickly and being hyper-critical of him.

Sorry to go into a crackpot psychological theory but I think that's what's happening when he gets stick.
I personally could not give a flying turd about what "12 years a centre forward" did at Real Madrid, after he left the club he stoped mattering to me, I also do not have an inadequacy complex about the club I support being good enough for any player in the world.

Honestly I did not want to sign Ronaldo because I thought he did not fit the way we play, but I was hopeful things would work out, as it stands my original prognosis seems to be right.

Jireh

Supports
Utd
Shouting 'Why me?' to the technical team was just absurd. Great player but he needs to be more selfless and less petulant. We all get frustrated but to act the way he did just sets a very bad example to the young players. Other players need minutes too!

Ladron de redcafe

There is 54 players with an npxG (non penalty expected goals) of 3 goals or more so far in the PL this season.
13 of them has a lower convertionrate than Ronaldo (underperforming his npxG by 30%), putting him in the bottom 25% when it comes to quality of finishing in the PL this season.

"Give him half a chance and he'll score......"
If he's subpar at the only than he's meant to be good at, I'm not sure what use the team has for him. Some of the stats posted here make for horror reading.

FBREF stats
0 Goals
0 Assists
0.0 xA
3 Shots
0 Shots on Target
34 Touches
6 Presses
0.0 xA
26 Carries (5 Progressive)
0 Dribbles attempted

Ivan Toney, In the same game.
1 Goals
0 Assists
0.5 xA
4 Shots
2 Shots on Target
42 Touches
17 Presses
20 Carries (3 Progressive)
1 Dribble attempted (0 successful)

Bear in mind United had more possession than Brentford. So we find ourselves, not for the first time this season, with reasonable evidence that we’d have been better off with the striker from the relegation threatened opposition playing for us up front.

And now for some stats from an actual top striker (even though he’s miles below his best form). Harry Kane, against Leicester.

1 Goal
1 Assist
0.4 xA
10 Shots
2 Shots on Target
40 Touches
18 Presses
33 Carries (6 Progressive)
5 Dribbles attempted (2 successful)

Daonico

He could still be a super useful player if he accepts the player he is now is not the player he once was. He needs to be droppable and sub-able... he is not the giga player he was once to be entitled to special treatment. Many cried for a meritocracy and no favourites in the line up, that includes Ronaldo, some times his skills will be useful to the team and then he should play, and some times we will do better with other skills and he should not, it's as simple as that.

To me, his attitude when subbed just showed what many know, he is not a team player, his problem was him being subbed, not the fact that a defender came in or whatever as some say. I have no problem on him not being happy about being subbed, but there are ways of showing it if you are professional... I don't expect a smile.
He knows all the cameras would be on him, he knows this would put a lot of pressure on the manager and even the team which is already in a tough spot, he didn't care, because his only interest in the team is that the team helps him. I would laugh if I was a young player in the squad and he comes talking about teamwork

troylocker

Unless I am mistaken, a chance created isn't an assist. So you're bolded part makes zero sense.

He created the "chance", he didn't make the assist, he created the chance for the assist to take place.
The definition of creating a chance is making a pass that directly leads to a shot. The stats don't allow more than one creator of each chance.
His chest pass didn't, so this one goes to Bruno.

Nice chest pass none the less. All four players involved did well. Cred to McTom and Greenwood as well.

Luke1995

I wonder if the weak shots are down to a decline in muscular mass in his legs ? Or perhaps a decline in the speed of the shots ?

Back in the day he used to score powerful shots whether it be from long range or close range.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
People try and offset their rather weird and insecure feelings by turning on him very quickly and being hyper-critical of him.
As has been pointed out multiple times already, many on here were very skeptical about his return before he even kicked a ball.

Your theory also fails to take into account that while many United fans do indeed love Ronaldo and associate him with better times, there's a considerable set of fans who positively disliked him prior to his return (because of the way he left United in the first place).

My impression is that those who loved Ronaldo (and/or associated him with greatness) before he arrived, haven't turned on him in a big way at all - not the majority of them, at least. If anything, most of them have gone from being very bullish about Ronaldo's impact on the team to focusing on how shite we are in general (which is not Ronaldo's fault, etc.). I'm sure you can find examples of posters who have turned on him in the sense you imply - but it can't be that many.

ClassOf'99

Ronaldo is more of a Madrid legend than a United legend, I'm sorry to break it to you but he wouldn't be in the top 10 legends in United history. So stop the legend talk.
You are either really salty Ronaldo moved to Madrid or clueless, or possibly even both.

He wouldn't be in the 10 legends in United history? One of the best players ever to grace the pitch? Surely not :lol::lol:

The man is just 18 goals beind RVN who is our 11th top goal scorer and 23 goals behind knocking Scholes out of the top 10.

Your hate and agenda is clear to see after that idiotic comment. Whether you like it or not he is a United legend and one of the best to ever play here.

Smores

Some absolute freaks on here. Comes back from injury, is involved in both the goals when he was on the pitch, rarely gave the ball away, tracked back & did his defensive work but yet some on here are describing his performance as "utter shite" and "diabolical". I hope our striker can be this diabolical every game if that's the case.
There's plenty who enjoy criticising Ronaldo that much is clear. It's a bit strange.

I knew as soon as he dared look unhappy at coming off that some would be delightfully waiting to log on and criticise his ambition. A player that wants to play, how dare he not be like Martial!

Idxomer

It's actually the opposite.

I have seen United fans obsessing over him and celebrating every goal he scored for the last 12 years. They have been very defensive and protective of him while he was at other clubs. Now, we're seeing the hyper effect he has on those fans after he's back at the club they support.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It's actually the opposite.

I have seen United fans obsessing over him and celebrating every goal he scored for the last 12 years. They have been very defensive and protective of him while he was at other clubs. Now, we're seeing the hyper effect he has on those fans after he's back at the club they support.
Interesting.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Every professional wants to win, this whole ‘mentality’ thing is overblown. He just wants to be the centre of attention, only happy when he scores.
:lol: what absolute nonsense. So like of Ronaldo, Djokovic and other sportsmen who are known for having an out of the world mentality -- it's just an overblown thing?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I wonder if the weak shots are down to a decline in muscular mass in his legs ? Or perhaps a decline in the speed of the shots ?

Back in the day he used to score powerful shots whether it be from long range or close range.
From my own experience as you get older your legs lose some of their fast twitch capability so it's harder to get properly set.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.