5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeanoMagicHat

There is deterioration and then there is "finished".

He is nowhere near "finished".

His deficiency is the lack of build up play and pressing, these have been issues for many, many years now, even during at Madrid too.
You see this isn't really true and it pays a disservice to just how good he was if you compare this version of Ronaldo to the Real Madrid version. Because his deficiency is also finishing, he's missed lots of chances. His touches are sloppier. He runs less and slower. He dribbles even less. He's not doing anything to do the level of what he did.

The end of his Real Madrid spell was the beginning of end, but this is the end of the end stuff.

phelans shorts

Won nine trophies with us. Your tilted version of the true is nothing more than button smashing muppetry. Pathetic and immature!
Look at his comments when he was leaving. Lots of people don’t see him as a legend, and it’s hard to argue against them, especially with this return having such shoddy results, he’s losing people more and more by the game.

Widow

Look at his comments when he was leaving. Lots of people don’t see him as a legend, and it’s hard to argue against them, especially with this return having such shoddy results, he’s losing people more and more by the game.
I'm not defending his return. Last night shown that his age has caught upto him as he was a yard behind the play at every counter attack we did. I have zero hate for the guy but I do believe he's starting to hinder our quick play.

In his first spell he was amazing, the best player in the world and helped us to win plenty. He also never hid his love/desire to play for Madrid,it was always his dream. Dennis Law rightly has a statue outside OT despite going onto play for City. PS also played for City but was arguably our greatest ever GK. There are other examples too. Look at what Roy Keane had to say about us and Fergie when he left.

Their status as a club legend shouldn't depend on what they did after they left but what they did whilst they was here.

Ronaldo has done enough.

Edit: anyway, that debate is for another thread but to say he's nowhere near is just a ridiculous and reactive comment after a poor performance.

phelans shorts

I'm not defending his return. Last night shown that his age has caught upto him as he was a yard behind the play at every counter attack we did. I have zero hate for the guy but I do believe he's starting to hinder our quick play.

In his first spell he was amazing, the best player in the world and helped us to win plenty. He also never hid his love/desire to play for Madrid,it was always his dream. Dennis Law rightly has a statue outside OT despite going onto play for City. PS also played for City but was arguably our greatest ever GK. There are other examples too. Look at what Roy Keane had to say about us and Fergie when he left.

Their status as a club legend shouldn't depend on what they did after they left but what they did whilst they was here.

Ronaldo has done enough.
Denis Law went to City after being released, which is an entirely different scenario. He’d also been at City before us and was blatantly settled in the area with a family.

Schmeichel to many isn’t seen as a legend for his snakiness in going to City after saying he’d never play in England again, add in the cartwheels when they scored in the derby, it’s hard to argue against them.

What you seem to forget is that this fecker compared himself to a slave and a whole other myriad of bullshit to say about the club, while still wearing the shirt. What legend does that? Certainly nobody I would consider one. Even by your own post you have to acknowledge things done whilst he was here.

DutchCruijff

You see this isn't really true and it pays a disservice to just how good he was if you compare this version of Ronaldo to the Real Madrid version. Because his deficiency is also finishing, he's missed lots of chances. His touches are sloppier. He runs less and slower. He dribbles even less. He's not doing anything to do the level of what he did.

The end of his Real Madrid spell was the beginning of end, but this is the end of the end stuff.
I've watched every single season of his at Juventus and I'd say 80%+ of his matches too.

Trust me, his deficiency is not finishing.

He is lacking that touch here at United, it is far from his Juventus level last season, but like I said, the team has struggled to create and he is out of form.

Widow

Denis Law went to City after being released, which is an entirely different scenario. He’d also been at City before us and was blatantly settled in the area with a family.

Schmeichel to many isn’t seen as a legend for his snakiness in going to City after saying he’d never play in England again, add in the cartwheels when they scored in the derby, it’s hard to argue against them.

What you seem to forget is that this fecker compared himself to a slave and a whole other myriad of bullshit to say about the club, while still wearing the shirt. What legend does that? Certainly nobody I would consider one. Even by your own post you have to acknowledge things done whilst he was here.
As I've already stated, it's always going to be subjective. These discussions are pointless as neither of us will change our minds.

You're entitled your opinion as am I.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
When we signed Ronaldo and some Utd fans were celebrating like we had won the league, I said at the time, This will be the final nail in Oles coffin!
Yeah, I thought so too. This is what I posted back then: "The reported wages are fecked up. We will regret this. It fecks up our entire wage structure. For a 36-year-old who is declining. A 36-year-old who – yesterday – was willing to join our rivals. A 36-year-old who Juventus is really happy to sell."

KeanoMagicHat

I've watched every single season of his at Juventus and I'd say 80%+ of his matches too.

He is lacking that touch here at United, it is far from his Juventus level last season, but like I said, the team has struggled to create and he is out of form.
He's had lots of shots and plenty of chances. He had 10 shots against Middlesbrough, he missed a penalty and couldn't score. In the league he has 3.5 shots per game. It's the second most after Salah.

phelans shorts

As I've already stated, it's always going to be subjective. You're entitled your opinion as am I.
You’re the one who got aggressive with somebody saying he’s nowhere near to be a legend, a sentiment shared by a great many supporters, I offer you a number of reasons and you don’t actually seem to have an argument why he should be considered one. His attitude whilst still under contract is the worst we’ve ever endured, far worse than Pogba gets shit for, far worse than Lingard gets shit for.

Boycott

Some people need to calm down a little when throwing around words like him being finished. He's 37 years old now. You have to accept his limitations now even if it spoils your memories of what he used to be. For example there was a chance where he was 1v1 with a defender with a lot of space to burst into. Up until a few years ago he'd have made a stride to get beyond the defender and be 1v1 with the goalkeeper but he hasn't got that explosive burst of pace anymore. It happens to players ten years younger than him. The fact he is the age he is now and still maintaining a better than one in two ratio is testament to his natural talent and mentality to not have a sudden decline and in fact still be on course for a 20-25 goal season.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah, I thought so too. This is what I posted back then: "The reported wages are fecked up. We will regret this. It fecks up our entire wage structure. For a 36-year-old who is declining. A 36-year-old who – yesterday – was willing to join our rivals. A 36-year-old who Juventus is really happy to sell."
I think with Juve it was mainly about getting him off the wagebook and ending the Ronaldo will win us the CL obession and getting back normal Juve FC.

Gordon S

Thought for some reason that he would have an absolute field day against a mediocre championship side but no. Could barely cause them any problems over 120 minute of football.
Feels like his body is throwing in the towel in front of our eyes this season. The intentions are there but his body just can`t keep up anymore.

bakalhau

Thought for some reason that he would have an absolute field day against a mediocre championship side but no. Could barely cause them any problems over 120 minute of football.
Feels like his body is throwing in the towel in front of our eyes this season. The intentions are there but his body just can`t keep up anymore.

I thought he would too but he had one of those mares that aren't really an exclusive thing of today's Cristiano. He had these games in Madrid as well amidst 60 goal seasons. He still had a field day with the defence though, he was constantly causing problems on the back 4. They played high defensive line for most game, very disjointed, and the amount of times he ditched the defenders for through balls with timing, awareness, and acceleration and pace meant no one could reach him once he took off. This happened at least 10 times during the game and was a constant threat for the defenders once United regained possession. That's my opinion, of course. On the shooting department though, damn. Just a terrible night for him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Anyone can miss a penalty. However, C'mon Cristiano at least make the keeper save it.

It was notable how the Boro players talked after the game about how Cristiano missing the pen made them believe it might be their night.

When you get the chance to put an opponent away you gotta do it. Hit the target and see what happens. For a goalscorer like Ronaldo to hit the sideboards...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some people need to calm down a little when throwing around words like him being finished. He's 37 years old now. You have to accept his limitations now even if it spoils your memories of what he used to be. For example there was a chance where he was 1v1 with a defender with a lot of space to burst into. Up until a few years ago he'd have made a stride to get beyond the defender and be 1v1 with the goalkeeper but he hasn't got that explosive burst of pace anymore. It happens to players ten years younger than him. The fact he is the age he is now and still maintaining a better than one in two ratio is testament to his natural talent and mentality to not have a sudden decline and in fact still be on course for a 20-25 goal season.
It's more that Ronaldo doesn't accept his limitations.

I'd be ecstatic with him if he played as a 36 year old rotation player but ultimately he is a start every game main central attacking striker tactic right now.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
And who cares, really? If he's on decline and can't do what he could or majority of fit attackers at high level can, why then we keep playing him?

On course of 20-25 goals per season with all penalties taken in mind is a poor return for a main striker for a team asporing to be one of the best in the country/world with all the attacking talent around him. That alone tells only a part of the story as well. Replace him with young Danny Welbeck and he will get into those chances and doesn't feck up that many interplays with hollywood flicks or not good enough agility/speed touch anymore. With Zero pressing presence not creating chances and compact unit with his teammates, that's shitload of chances missed on only by his lack of movement.

He became the last man to pass the ball to, not an ultimate chance creating monster for himself and for others, with very poor conversion rate for a striker now on top. He's done at top level and should simply accept a minor role from the bench or at least a rotation option until he finds some sort of form again or be sharp enough for certain games rather than play all games.

DavelinaJolie

It's more that Ronaldo doesn't accept his limitations.

I'd be ecstatic with him if he played as a 36 year old rotation player but ultimately he is a start every game main central attacking striker tactic right now.
More to the point, the team is going to have to play around his limitations because he's the main forward at the club and doesn't seem to fit what Rangnick wants to do.

If he doesn't start scoring again how long until the sh*t hits the fan again because the rest of the team are tired of having to feed him the ball constantly for poor returns?

the_cliff

More to the point, the team is going to have to play around his limitations because he's the main forward at the club and doesn't seem to fit what Rangnick wants to do.

If he doesn't start scoring again how long until the sh*t hits the fan again because the rest of the team are tired of having to feed him the ball constantly for poor returns?
This is my main problem with the current Ronaldo. It's all good and well feeding prime Ronaldo, feed him all game if he's scoring 50+ goals in all comps in a season.

The problem with this version is he's no longer doing that. So sacrificing the press, team chemistry and overall linkup play is not worth the returns.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
And who cares, really? If he's on decline and can't do what he could or majority of fit attackers at high level can, why then we keep playing him?

On course of 20-25 goals per season with all penalties taken in mind is a poor return for a main striker for a team asporing to be one of the best in the country/world with all the attacking talent around him. That alone tells only a part of the story as well. Replace him with young Danny Welbeck and he will get into those chances and doesn't feck up that many interplays with hollywood flicks or not good enough agility/speed touch anymore. With Zero pressing presence not creating chances and compact unit with his teammates, that's shitload of chances missed on only by his lack of movement.

He became the last man to pass the ball to, not an ultimate chance creating monster for himself and for others, with very poor conversion rate for a striker now on top. He's done at top level and should simply accept a minor role from the bench or at least a rotation option until he finds some sort of form again or be sharp enough for certain games rather than play all games.
Well now we are in a situation with lack of options. But yeah, why make Ronaldo our main man when he's no longer good enough to be our main man?

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ralf needs to bench him for now. Cristano is out of form. We are entering that defining time of the season where every point lost could cost millions. If he finds his form, then start him. Until then, he is a super sub at best.
But the whole argument though will be that will just wear down his confidence since he's desperate for some goals.
And I who thought elite mentalists couldn’t be touched by lack of confidence and weak form.

Jokes aside; he’s hurting the team when he’s on form as well.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I would start Elanga ahead of him because we need the body. Elanga is not technically better than Ronaldo but who cares about technique when you can’t threaten any defender? We need action and Ronaldo is just a passenger.
Can't threaten any defender? Did you actually, properly watch the game last night? The defenders couldn't handle him or the rest of our attack last night. We had 30 shots and Ronaldo had 10 of those chances. The only thing preventing Ronaldo hauling last night was his own under-par finishing.

MrEleson

Not sure what game you were watching but Ronaldo even at 37 yesterday, looked like he had more in the tank late into extra time than the likes of Sancho (who even came off with injury).

I remember one attack where the ball was lofted to Mata who was at the tip of the defensive line and Ronaldo was already bursting past him on the overlap by the time Mata could control the ball and bring it down despite him starting from far behind. He’s definitely not PRIME Ronaldo anymore but he’s far from finished physically. He’s still quick enough imo. We just play really disjointed football which exacerbate some of his weaknesses. It would be hard for any forward in this team let alone an old Ronaldo.

Widow

You’re the one who got aggressive with somebody saying he’s nowhere near to be a legend, a sentiment shared by a great many supporters, I offer you a number of reasons and you don’t actually seem to have an argument why he should be considered one. His attitude whilst still under contract is the worst we’ve ever endured, far worse than Pogba gets shit for, far worse than Lingard gets shit for.
Aggressive? :lol:

You keep saying many supporters like you need to reinforce your point. Do you speak on their behalf now? In that case, there are many more that think he is a legend.

phelans shorts

Bobski

If Utd get knocked out of the CL is there any point in him starting another game for the club?

With Pogba back there should be enough there to get 4th without Ronaldo, really need to emphasize Sancho and try to get Rashford firing, see if those 2 can work together. Without the Greenwood disgrace that should been the front 3 to develop around.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'll use that favourite phrase of Ole's "small margins". Had that overhead kick gone in at 0-0, it would have been glory glory Cristiano. By the way, the only player in our team capable of attempting that in that situation. He's neither "completely finished" as people are making out, nor is he what he used to be. He's still got loads of class and ability. The main problem is this: He cannot expect to play every single game and he cannot expect not to be subbed when he's become leggy. Fix that and we're OK.

We obviously need to buy a striker in the summer but for the rest of the season, Rangnick needs to continue to take back the power and ensure that the players get used to having an actual manager who is their boss.

Cristiano may well want to move in the summer - whether or not he goes to a PSG or back to Sporting - but if he stays, he'll need to recognise that he's not a guaranteed starter and the team won't be built around him.

Happy birthday :D

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

His main deficiency is that he doesn't realize he's slower and can't beat his defender in 2 or 3 quick steps before taking a shot. With Juventus he's been shooting an absurd amount of times without understanding that most of the shots that used to be on target are now blocked.

He scored 29 goals last season taking 5.20 shots per 90mn.

Lukaku scored 24 goals with 2.78 shots per 90mn, so almost half of what Ronaldo shot.

He took 162 shots last season when Lukaku only took 89. And obviously the problem isn't that he takes the shot, the problem is that it ends the play and the outcome is a turnover most of the time.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Happy birthday to the greatest player to ever step foot on a football pitch :drool:

May we still get 4 more years of the GOAT and hopefully he ends it all back home where he belongs!

r1z3mu

Truth hurts huh? Fecked off to spend his prime years with Real and you consider him a legend? Pathetic
Deep inside I have to agree with this statement. Barcelona fans can say that Messi is Barca legend. Real fans can say that Ronaldo is Real legend. MU fans saying that Ronaldo is our legend sounds like a joke. Seriously? I just hope he has enough pride and will leave in summer cancelling his contract. Or next manager has enough toughness to keep him as super-sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.