5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

I'll use that favourite phrase of Ole's "small margins". Had that overhead kick gone in at 0-0, it would have been glory glory Cristiano. By the way, the only player in our team capable of attempting that in that situation. He's neither "completely finished" as people are making out, nor is he what he used to be. He's still got loads of class and ability. The main problem is this: He cannot expect to play every single game and he cannot expect not to be subbed when he's become leggy. Fix that and we're OK.

We obviously need to buy a striker in the summer but for the rest of the season, Rangnick needs to continue to take back the power and ensure that the players get used to having an actual manager who is their boss.

Cristiano may well want to move in the summer - whether or not he goes to a PSG or back to Sporting - but if he stays, he'll need to recognise that he's not a guaranteed starter and the team won't be built around him.

Happy birthday :D
Neither can Cavani tbh. It's good to have both around, with Rashford also able to do a job. He should have scored yesterday, but I didn't see much better from Chelsea's 100m man today either.

Dudu

Dalot. Pogba. Rashford. Bruno. Sancho. Shaw. Ronaldo.

Ah. :(

goptun

Happy birthday to the greatest player to ever step foot on a football pitch :drool:

May we still get 4 more years of the GOAT and hopefully he ends it all back home where he belongs!
It's Dean Windass' birthday?

Ixion

No one really gave Ibrahimovic a free pass here because of his age, and that was the first time he played in England. Expectations were huge and he got slaughtered on here week in week out and I think he showed his age far less than Ronaldo is doing..

mu4c_20le

No one really gave Ibrahimovic a free pass here because of his age, and that was the first time he played in England. Expectations were huge and he got slaughtered on here week in week out and I think he showed his age far less than Ronaldo is doing..
Because people are stupid, he was great for us.

Sylar

Is Carrick the only one who's dropped him to the bench?

Why do we play him every minute of every game? It's nuts

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If he insists on playing every minute of every game he's a massive problem in my opinion.
Anyone who allows him that is probably even bigger problem for the club. Unfortunately the club probably agreed that with him when we've signed him.

Greck

I'm very certain he isn't part of the solution. We're attempting to move to more modern passing but our CF is always gawking between the CBs when anyone needs a passing option. This kind of separation of roles isn't used in modern football anymore. Working the ball closer to goal without the involvement of the striker is just unnecessary difficulty. On occasions when there's no space we're just supposed to create opportunities for him out of thin air, or maybe we should go back to low percentage long balls and crosses. Even his chemistry with Bruno is clumsy at best, they should be the traditional number 10-number 9 pair but it hasn't been effective for a number of reason.

We can't even sub him anymore, he's bigger than the club if the manager is more worried about accommodating him over salvaging a trophy opportunity. If it continues the club should consider doing a Sanchez and paying his wages to help him play elsewhere next season. Hate to say it but he might now be the executive chairman of the old boys club.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Because after a decent start to the season he then went on a 2 month goalless run - in that time period he played in 10 games and only scored 1 goal vs Zorya in the EL. Our stats were 1 win, 2 losses and 3 draws.
And then we had people creating threads like 'Why do goalkeepers turn into supermen when playing against us' Instead of criticising our strikers poor finishing. There was a match vs Burnley which we drew (0-0 ) Ibra missed at least 3 sitters that game and people were going apeshit about the goalkeeper being amazing against us when the shots were all aimed straight at him.

KeanoMagicHat

He was our only striker. Team played through him. He had a lot of bad performances
Yep in the same way that even if Ronaldo ended up with similar goals in all competitions, I’d still find it hard to say Ronaldo had met expectations. And it looks he could fall short of that.

Ronaldo and Zlatan are quite similar in their overbearing impact on teams, their massive egos and their strong PR teams/fanbases. For me the best striker of our big reputation ones over a 6 month spell was been Cavani last season in terms of overall performance, unfortunately it hasn’t happened like that this season.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
I've watched you 5 or 6 times this season (4 since Rangnick took over) and I'm quite shocked about Ronaldo to be honest.

His stats for Juve were obviously weaker than for Real but I thought that's manly due to the league and the team.

But no, he just isn't all that anymore, is he?
That's totally okay for a player at 37 but you probably can't live your life more professional than Ronaldo so I wouldn't have thought that the age would affect him so badly.

But what I don't really understand: To me it seems like his finishing got way, way worse. Does anyone have statistics on that? He used to be so clinical and normally attacking players many lose their speed and stamina when they get older, but their shooting boots?

Does anyone have statistics on conversion rate, shots on target etc compared to his time at Juve and Real?

Greck

I've watched you 5 or 6 times this season (4 since Rangnick took over) and I'm quite shocked about Ronaldo to be honest.

His stats for Juve were obviously weaker than for Real but I thought that's manly due to the league and the team.

But no, he just isn't all that anymore, is he?
That's totally okay for a player at 37 but you probably can't live your life more professional than Ronaldo so I wouldn't have thought that the age would affect him so badly.

But what I don't really understand: To me it seems like his finishing got way, way worse. Does anyone have statistics on that? He used to be so clinical and normally attacking players many lose their speed and stamina when they get older, but their shooting boots?

Does anyone have statistics on conversion rate, shots on target etc compared to his time at Juve and Real?
Really don't need any stats to tell you his finishing has been appalling for weeks maybe months. A poacher that can't poach is a massive detriment. You know it's bad when the fans don't even use the poor service excuse. We've actually started fixing our play and he still isn't looking much better.

Last edited:

SonyaCross493

Happy birthday Ronny! 37 and not out. GOAT!

Ronaldo has no confidence because he hasn't scored a goal in ages. Yet nobody mentions that all strikers thrive on confidence and if they haven't scored for awhile they try too hard and snatch at chances, overthink them etc it's nothing to do with age

he played a good match in my opinion with great energy and pressed a lot even setting up a few chances by forcing Boro into mistakes (the Bruno chance that hit the post and also the Bruno header from Ronny's cross). Just poor finishing but like I said that's due to lack of confidence, I'm happy we actually started to create a few chances for him. It's a good sign moving forward that he's getting into those positions and we are creating chances for him. Apart from Rashford who was greedy again when Ronaldo was in much better positions inside the box to score and just needed sliding in.

he needs a goal for his confidence and the Ketchup Bottle will burst open again he even went on a goal drought at Real Madrid but came back stronger never rule him out.. you'd think his critics would have learned by now to stop doing this as he always constantly proves them wrong throughout his career when they say he's finished, Yong and learning etc.. I'm not worried at all as I know he will put eggs on faces of certain posters on here again.. Believe in the GOAT :keano:

Atleast he puts himself forward to play the match. Unlike Cavani and Lingard. Who will escape criticism especially Cavani when we needed them most.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
His conversion rate hasn't changed much. It's slightly worse than his best seasons, but he hasn't declined dramatically in that regard.

In terms of shots-to-goals ratio he has never been super lethal. However, this fact can be easily misconstrued: for me, Ronaldo has always been exceptionally good at making runs into the box - and capitalizing on such movements. The fact that his overall ratio isn't better has to do with the - obvious - fact that he's always been shooing a lot from positions where the likelihood of scoring is relatively low. This is hardly a unique trait - something similar is true for many high scoring players (regardless of their other, particular characteristics).

The problem isn't conversion rate. It's the fact that he no longer scores enough to justify him being such a focal point.

SonyaCross493

United. United we lose together and United we win together. United through the bad times and good. :keano:

Dudu

One of many great pieces of play by us last night. It’s why I find all the negativity well over the top. We played some fantastic stuff. Bodes well.
This place is no better than Twitter when we lose.

Ixion

Because after a decent start to the season he then went on a 2 month goalless run - in that time period he played in 10 games and only scored 1 goal
You should look at the goal records of our strikers this season.

And I could pull up examples of basically every striker that's ever played for us going 2 months without a goal. It happens to all strikers.

Last edited:

He needs to do more, make more runs etc, but equally the players around him have got to start getting the ball into the box when he is there. We've already seen he doesn't need the perfect pass in order to make something happen. I get that Ragnick wants to get us doing the basics better but we need to start taking a few more risks now.

Maniron

To those of you who still think he can do a job for us, ask yourself what you would think of him as a player if you didn’t know him or anything about him, and you judged him solely on his performances alone.

Since his return he has had some great moments, but too few and too far apart. He is one of the all time greats, a footballing genius but time has caught up with him and he can no longer cut it at this level, at least with a team that is intent on winning trophies.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
As much as his performances
I think it's related. It's not a criticism of Ronaldo to say his strength and stamina are waning so you just have to manage him better to optimise his performances. He is incredibly driven and if you can harness that for the good of the team then great, if decisions are being made to the demands of the player and not for the benefit of the team then it's just obviously not good.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He looks really weak and tiny, you'd never think he was a 6ft plus specimen of muscle out there! He gets muscled off the ball far too easily, pace has obviously gone and now his finishing is letting him down.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
To those of you who still think he can do a job for us, ask yourself what you would think of him as a player if you didn’t know him or anything about him, and you judged him solely on his performances alone.

Since his return he has had some great moments, but too few and too far apart. He is one of the all time greats, a footballing genius but time has caught up with him and he can no longer cut it at this level, at least with a team that is intent on winning trophies.
This really. He's living off his reputation and stature. His wages don't match his ability and he's now kind of undroppable. However I do think he's a usefull squad option, I just don't think he wants to be one. He made that clear last time he was subbed. Ronnie will get goals for sure, especially if our team becomes properly drilled and we can start dominating teams more often, but yeah personally I think he's a real headache. However with the lack of great strikers on the market there aren't a lot of options in terms of replacements. He lives for the CL, so i'm exicted to see whether he can bag some goals against Athletico. If we go out against them, he'll be looking for a different club asap I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.