Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I can’t believe you lot think this Atletico game will be so easy. It’s a toss of a coin for me

IF Ronaldo suddenly comes good for those two games it will be superb and happy to see all the “ I told you so’s”
And what If he reverts to type after it ?

Hes clearly over the hill

owlo

It’s made me appreciate Giggs a lot more that’s for sure. He was putting in brilliant performances at an older age.
Also makes you realise what an absolute freak Zlatan is.

Devil81

Watching his decline week in week out has been a sorry sight.

I'd hope it ends at the end of the season personally.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Really hoping he will have one more upturn in form just to shut people up. I believe he has it in him. But this is his last year at the top for me. Looked his age yesterday.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
You are understimating how bad is current Ronaldo, he couldn't do shit against serbian defense in the last match of the WC UEFA qualifiers, 100% controlled the whole match.
And serbian defenders aren't world beaters.

You don't need top defenders to contain current Ronaldo, I'm not even sure he will score against Turkey in the playoffs for WC.

He looks physically weak now, i noticed he looks also a bit skinnier.His neck looks kinda thin.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do anything against Atlético
Well lets just say I did not even rate him more than just a super elite goal poacher since his last 2 years in Madrid, and I had always knew that as a footballer, he was not all that good besides being able to deliver goals for at least the last 5 years. Hence I chuckled when I saw United fans getting so pumped up at the beginning of this thread. It is as though they had not watched him regularly in the last few years.

However, as bad as Ronaldo is, Oblak (and Suarez) are far worse in terms of performance. I still maintain that United will more likely than not destroy Atletico, despite your issues with Ronaldo and the rest of the team.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
To be fair Zlatan is a very weird and unique striker. He is strong like a ox and therefore great at holding the ball up and he also has good technique and balance. He still declined obviously and slows Milan's game down a lot, but he has still skills to offer at this age. Same goes for Giggs, who changed from fast winger to a more central playmaker.
Players like Pirlo, Iniesta or maybe Messi in the future can play in deeper roles protected by hardworking players to play through passes all day and help their team out with their vision.
Ronaldo doesn't really have any of those skills. Since his time at Real he is all about movement and finishing, nothing really more. So he was always a player who will fell off a cliff once his main strenghts decline because you can't really put him anywhere else and his overall game has been declining for a while.

Also it's fair to point out that Serie A is by far the best top league for aging strikers.
People talk about Ronaldo and what he is doing at his age, but so did Di Natale, Luca Toni, Quagliarella (outscored Ronaldo in his first season) and of course Zlatan at retirement age. Serie A isn't a bad league, but it's the slowest and least physical top league out of the top 4 and you see that type of poacher striker excelling in a way you don't at other leagues. Someone like Immobile is ripping the league up for years, but flopped in Germany and Spain and also wouldn't be suited to the PL imo. Like Ronaldo he is all about his movement in the final third but is neither super fast or strong nor a very technical striker.
The league really helped to hide Ronaldo's decline and when people pointed it out Ronaldo fans dismissed it because of stats.
In reality Ronaldo didn't all of a sudden fell of a cliff, he already declined at Juve. I don't think he was a world class player last year or the year before, but rather just still a class goal scorer. Now he is a year older and the faster and physically more demanding PL exposed his decline even harder.
We managed him poorly too and played him every game so unfortunately I don't expect this to be a confidence thing but rather think his body is gone. I obviously hope I am wrong.

Josh 76

Really hoping he will have one more upturn in form just to shut people up. I believe he has it in him. But this is his last year at the top for me. Looked his age yesterday.
If he scores the wining goal in the tie, it wouldn’t change my mind about him. He’s finished as a starter. Squad player at best!

Mr PG

Ronaldo is doing my head in ATM. Can't outpace defenders anymore and offers nothing off the ball. He throws tantrums when subbed as well.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Altetico’s defense is hot garbage now. Even hot garbage Barca and getafe can put 7 goals past them. Even this shat Ronaldo will be able to score against them.
Then you will see the cr7 brigate trying to convince people here that he is United’s best player (which is actually de gea), and everyone but them are wrong. Sonya will be back as well, hyped to the high heavens
Newbies are still limited to 10 post per day, correct? That should soften our collective blow.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Rumours of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

Still a few good seasons to come out of him. Bad bit of form but he's been proving people who write him off prematurely wrong for years :D.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

Still a few good seasons to come out of him. Bad bit of form but he's been proving people who write him off prematurely wrong for years :D.
Maybe in Europe but not in the Premier League.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Maybe in Europe but not in the Premier League.
I have faith !! :D

Maybe he is past it, but I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt at this stage! Shooting, passing, awareness don't decline massively with age and he is still extremely physically fit, runs and presses late on into the game, and still able to handle the game physically. As long as he has these traits I think he'll come back....hopefully for us ! :D

He is 2nd lowest in the entire league for successful presses. That’s ok if he’s banging in a goal every game or he’s just an impact sub. Unfortunately, neither are the case and he is bringing down our whole team.

Longshanks

He has definitely lost his physical edge and his flaws that have always been there are showing themselves more.

He will still score goals despite his current lean spell but don't expect much more from him, which is kind of the problem really. When he isnt scoring he offers very little to the team.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I have faith !! :D

Maybe he is past it, but I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt at this stage! Shooting, passing, awareness don't decline massively with age and he is still extremely physically fit, runs and presses late on into the game, and still able to handle the game physically. As long as he has these traits I think he'll come back....hopefully for us ! :D
He was this underwhelming the past season, but Serie A has decreased in quality, so he got away with being this slow and sloppy in Italy, and still scored many.
Big reminder that Immobile and Quagliarella outscored Ronaldo in Italy.

He has looked very weak in PL, being bullied by average CBs.Just because he has a six pack and defined pecs doesn't mean that he is still strong.
You might be the ones who think that everyone who is muscular knows how to fight.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He was this underwhelming the past season, but Serie A has decreased in quality, so he got away with being this slow and sloppy in Italy, and still scored many.
Big reminder that Immobile and Quagliarella outscored Ronaldo in Italy.

He has looked very weak in PL, being bullied by average CBs.Just because he has a six pack and defined pecs doesn't mean that he is still strong.
You might be the ones who think that everyone who is muscular knows how to fight.
That's uncalled for. He is just being faithful.;)

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
That's uncalled for. He is just being faithful.;)
Sorry, but many are assuming that he is still physically fine to compete at top level because of how muscular he is.

If that was the case then Adama Traore would be unbeatable as he is even more muscular than Ronaldo.

Thing is Ronaldo has looked very weal in PL, despite looking physically fit

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
There's a few needless moments in this where he just flashes in a shot from stupid area's out of pure frustration.
The guy's ego is taking areal battering.
It looks stupid now but it used to not be stupid for him. :( As a Ronaldo fan its so sad to watch this compilation. Knowing what he once was capable of.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he's leading our frontline next season then it's a top 6 challenge not a title challenge. He's been a fabulous player, one of the best of all time, but father time has caught up with him.

Eddy_JukeZ

He looked much better physically earlier in the season.

The game against West Ham when he should have won 2 penalties, he looked fairly spry.

He looks devoid of anything physically lately.

clarkydaz

The game against West Ham when he should have won 2 penalties, he looked fairly spry.

The state of the club, team mates and events of the season may have taken toll on him mentally. He has never played in a shit team before

Womp

idiot
Should be sold at the end of the season imo, doubt he will be though, didn't his son just sign for our youth squads? He'll stick around.

Womp

idiot
Its a reality whether people think he is still quality or past it. He has never been in dysfunctional teams, hence the reply to a question why does he seem less enthusiastic than start of the season
Could also be because he's been shite for an extended period now? He's not exactly the most selfless player.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The state of the club, team mates and events of the season may have taken toll on him mentally. He has never played in a shit team before
The dude can't even control a ball. Just call spade a spade. He is my favorite United player but he has been pants last few weeks. Let's hope he is back to form soon.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Bit of a barren spell at present but I still think he has got another year in him. If we create chances, he will score. He's not going to be running from the halfway line and beating 4 players anymore.
:lol:

Literally no one expects him to run from the halfway line, beat 4 defenders and score all by himself. He’s not done that (almost) since he left us the first time. And he has been getting chances. Plenty of them.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Agreed and Zlatan is another who takes care of himself physically etc. but a side point, the things (physical attributes) which made Zlatan great, are easier to navigate with age than the same things which made Ronaldo great (acceleration, elevation when jumping, leaner and fitter/faster than the opponent etc). Zlatan was a little more technique, brute strength (his size), hold up play, etc.

Giggs transitioned from the one (flying winger) to a completely different footballer (center mid) by the time he retired. At an extremely high level.

EtH

Agreed and Zlatan is another who takes care of himself physically etc. but a side point, the things (physical attributes) which made Zlatan great, are easier to navigate with age than the same things which made Ronaldo great (acceleration, elevation when jumping, leaner and fitter/faster than the opponent etc). Zlatan was a little more technique, brute strength (his size), hold up play, etc.

Giggs transitioned from the one (flying winger) to a completely different footballer (center mid) by the time he retired. At an extremely high level.
Giggs was a shite CM. We only got away with it due to the quality in the side and SAF being SAF.

EtH

Literally doesn't change the fact that he operated at an extremely high level. Not world class by any means, but good enough to sustain a place at the club.
He was merely a moments player. Piss at pretty much every aspect of the position aside from the occasional killer pass or slide tackle. We operated with half a midfield at best in SAF’s latter years. The fact that it was a constant complaint back then means Giggs was not operating at a high level. Not even remotely.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He was merely a moments player. Piss at pretty much every aspect of the position aside from the occasional killer pass or slide tackle. We operated with half a midfield at best in SAF’s latter years. The fact that it was a constant complaint back then means Giggs was not operating at a high level. Not even remotely.
Agree to disagree then, bud. Think our definition of operating at a high level is miles apart. Don't want to derail this thread.

marktan

He's 37 and needs rotating, but he barely gets a rest. Even at Juve last season, he played pretty much every minute because they kept loosing when they tested him.

The sad reality is that he's put a lot of mileage into those legs over the last 20 years and it's caught up to him.

EtH

Agree to disagree then, bud. Think our definition of operating at a high level is miles apart. Don't want to derail this thread.
Fair enough. Although I think it’s the same dynamic which duped us into bringing Ronaldo back. There is a tendency to trust a name well beyond its sell on date. It’s just irrational sentimentality. But even SAF was and still is not immune to it apparently.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Fair enough. Although I think it’s the same dynamic which duped us into bringing Ronaldo back. There is a tendency to trust a name well beyond its sell on date. It’s just irrational sentimentality. But even SAF was and still is not immune to it apparently.
That last bit is too true, 100% :lol: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.