Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
Seems like the other players need to step up. Till then, I'd think he considers himself to be one of the few competent players on the team.

He couldn't bring a team to Pl or CL wins 10 years ago. The other players were also excellent, the managers were great. He was just a standout between all those players.

If you think he looks out of his depth now, what do you think of every other player on the team?
He did bring teams to the CL and league wins, of course other players helped but the whole team adjusted solely to optimize his play, both at Manchester and Madrid.
Rooney and Benzema had to sacrifice a lot to make space for him and do his defensive work, hence they started to put a lot of goals after he left. However, at that time it was worth it because Ronaldo was just toooo good.
He put like 50~60 goals a year, that's like two world class strikers in one person.

You see the current Ronaldo, still world class but he bags in about 30~40 goals a year. Which is world class but is that enough to build a team around?

The truth is the 'current' Ronaldo is not good enough to make his teammates sacrifice just to fit him, he is now in a level where he needs to adjust to the team. I hate to say this but if you don't see that your understanding of the game is limited. Adjusting to the team means doing all the defensive work and work as a unit rather than just focusing on scoring. If he does not want to do that then he should accept starting from the bench and players who are willing to do that should start.

And just to say, I'm not suggesting that other players and the managers are safe from criticism. They all need to do much much better, and Ronaldo is also one of them.

Reactions: Sultan

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Maguire and Shaw's form.
But one has to ask why?

I know that a large body of people idolise Ronaldo, the fans who are in awe of one of the greatest players of all time.

But we don't have to work with him....

Maybe he is an arrogant so-and-so who has just come into the club and is strutting around the place on wages that are probably more than Shaws and Maguires added together. Now, this isn't to say they are on the breadline, but all things are relative. Perhaps they are mates of Daniel James and are pissed off he''s now gone to Leeds (because of Ronaldo). Maybe they think Utd. would be a better team if Ronaldo were used more as a super-sub (which is the role I think would be best) and Cavani or Rashford or Greenwood should start games up-front. All together, these 'emotions' have impacted on Shaw and Maguire and others too, call it loss of form if you wish, call it 'losing the dressing room', call it whatever you want - but the fact is Man Utd. may regret re-signing Ronaldo and although that is an unpopular opinion, I'm entitled to make it, if I believe it.

In sixth months time, when Utd. have won the league and/or the Champions League with the sheer competitive will-power of Ronaldo pulling the team together - people can have a good laugh at me, but I doubt that will happen...

Josh 76

I like Ronaldo but it looks like Utd have signed the next 2 seasons away for nothing.

I don't think he's necessarily a tactical headache; with enough quality instructions on the level of Klopp/Pep, he can be great without stepping on anyone else's path. But this necessary tactical 'revolution' isn't going to happen at Utd.

There's also the idea that between Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho + Cavani, you have a functioning attack that works with each other. Some of us were looking forward to Greenwood sharing the striker position with Cavani this year, with Sancho taking his RW spot full-time. It would've worked. Cavani works really well with everyone. I don't think the other guys felt obliged to feed him relentlessly, the responsibility of scoring was instead shared. This worked quite well last year.

But instead you have Ronaldo here for 2 years minimum, and at this crucial developmental juncture in Greenwood's striker career (and Sancho's general need to play to sustain levels), they've both lost a heavy amount of playing time. For 2 whole years.

What can you do? Signing Ronaldo was a question of past vs present, romance vs wisdom. Let him go to City, and you ruin your memory of him at Utd. Sign him instead, and ruin the team you have now. It was always an impossible situation.

Don't forget Diallo, Elanga and Pellistri either
I do see where you are coming from. The only thing that worries me is Ronaldo will have to be the first name on the team sheet (due to his reputation) for the next 18 months. This can’t be healthy for any team

ShinjiNinja26

RON THE WAY OUT Cristiano Ronaldo ‘could ask to LEAVE Man Utd if they do not qualify for the Champions League next season’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16690065/cristiano-ronaldo-leave-man-utd-champions-league/

that's fair enough really.. Ronny is the GOAT and isn't a Europa League Player. He doesn't want to waste his last few years of his career not competing in title races in April (which seems like we are already out of the title race this season in October!). He doesn't have time to waste that's why he left Juventus in the first place. So he can easily do the same with United in the summer if things don't improve.

Other players like Bruno Fernandes, Harry Maguire, De Gea, Rashford, Greenwood, Shaw etc might be happy with staying at a "NICE" football club like Manchester United who seems a long way off from competing for major trophies. But that sums up the problem in this team. A lack of winners in the team who have got it too cozy and comfortable just playing for Manchester United and all the money/privileges/cars/mansions/women etc that come with it despite winning sweet F all trophies in there careers for the team or individually they are put on undeserved pedestals they need to pull their fingers out ASAP. And other top clubs in the Premier League and in the Champions League are not banging the door down desperate to sign.

if the club wants to stick with loveable cozy comfortable atmosphere Ole and don't want a short-term impact manager like a big-name like Mourinho or Conte to deliver short-term success (that's what they do almost guaranteed success) They shouldn't have gone for a serial winner like Ronny who needs a manager and coaches to match his ambition to win trophies the next few years. Sadly he's stuck with the 3 stooges Ole, Carrick and McKenna... no wonder he's getting frustrated and Jorge Mendes is leaking this stuff out. I'm surprised it's took this long to be fair. The only way change happens if Ronny kicks up a fuss as he's bigger than the manager, players and club not just his profile but the trophies he's won in his career he can show his medals and trophies won in his career but the others can't... He has the power to make changes happen. That's what we need as fans as Ronny matches the fans ambitions we want the same things he does Manchester United competing for and winning trophies. He's the perfect player for us right now and embodies the spirit of where we want Manchester United to be. Hence why he should be the club captain as he won't stop challenging the players, coaches and management until the club is back where it belongs winning trophies again.

Ronny must be shocked at how low standards have slipped since he last played for the club. Standards on the floor and in the mud he's swimming in shite.. Sad times.
Don’t blame him one bit. The club might settle for mid table mediocrity and accept being humiliated at home by our fiercest rivals but the GOAT certainly will not. Such a shame our ambition no longer matches his.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I do see where you are coming from. The only thing that worries me is Ronaldo will have to be the first name on the team sheet (due to his reputation) for the next 18 months. This can’t be healthy for any team
This is absolutely spot-on.

The next manager needs to be a very strong character indeed, strong enough to stand-up to the players, even one as big as Ronaldo* from below him in the hierarchy, whilst also strong enough to tell Sir Alex Ferguson to stay out of the running the club, from above. I mean with Ole, he dare not even park in the Manager's parking spot in-case SAF is coming in (allegedly) and once Sir Alex questioned his team selection re: Everton "You have to start your best players" I knew that from that match forward, the 1st name on the teamsheet would be 'Ronaldo', even if he had a broken leg!

*and ones who think they are e.g. Paul Pogba, if he's still around.

View from a blue

Supports
Manchester City
Definitely a case there that he has upset the balance of the team but I’d love an insiders view of how he has affected the dressing room.

Amazing footballer but he’s a huge ego that’s never come across as much of a likeable character. He might not be all that popular amongst the squad.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
The only way change happens if Ronny kicks up a fuss as he's bigger than the manager, players and club not just his profile but the trophies he's won in his career he can show his medals and trophies won in his career but the others can't...
I can't believe I have read this. I think there is one thing we can all agree on: nobody is bigger than the club - we all have our lifespan 70, 80, 90 plus years (if you are lucky), but as well as death and taxes, there is one thing we can be certain of and that is Manchester United will continue long after we have shuffled off this mortal coil (sorry to be so maudlin).

To state that that Ronaldo is bigger than the Club is just ridiculous. If he asks to leave if Utd. don't qualify for Cl 2022/23 and it isn't a clause in his contract for him to do so, the club should say 'No' and if he kicks up a stink, make him train with the kids... they'd learn a thing or two! Perhaps such extreme action, might even have an impact on the other players and get them to realise that it is the team that matters so stop behaving like selfish prima donnas.

He is a 36 year old Portuguese footballer, he isn't GOD. And as regards the other things in your post namely: "He doesn't want to waste his last few years of his career not competing in title races in April (which seems like we are already out of the title race this season in October!). He doesn't have time to waste that's why he left Juventus in the first place." well if that's the case maybe when Sir Alex rang him up to get him to return he should have said, "....its OK Boss, I want to go somewhere else".

He's made his bed, now he can lie in it.

KeanoMagicHat

I can't believe I have read this. I think there is one thing we can all agree on: nobody is bigger than the club - we all have our lifespan 70, 80, 90 plus years (if you are lucky), but as well as death and taxes, there is one thing we can be certain of and that is Manchester United will continue long after we have shuffled off this mortal coil (sorry to be so maudlin).

To state that that Ronaldo is bigger than the Club is just ridiculous. If he asks to leave if Utd. don't qualify for Cl 2022/23 and it isn't a clause in his contract for him to do so, the club should say 'No' and if he kicks up a stink, make him train with the kids... they'd learn a thing or two! Perhaps such extreme action, might even have an impact on the other players and get them to realise that it is the team that matters so stop behaving like selfish prima donnas.

He is a 36 year old Portuguese footballer, he isn't GOD. And as regards the other things in your post namely: "He doesn't want to waste his last few years of his career not competing in title races in April (which seems like we are already out of the title race this season in October!). He doesn't have time to waste that's why he left Juventus in the first place." well if that's the case maybe when Sir Alex rang him up to get him to return he should have said, "....its OK Boss, I want to go somewhere else".

He's made his bed, now he can lie in it.
I agree, all the ‘I feel sorry he’s wasting his last years with us’ posts are some of the worst excuses for sympathy I think I’ve ever seen.

He is supposed to be at a club he likes, he’s really well paid, he’s nearly 37, no other top side would take him. He’s won more trophies and awards than 99.9% of footballers. A late career season where the team is built around him scoring lots of goals that might finish 4th or 5th is a ‘tragedy’, you just have to laugh at that level of fandom for an individual.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
He won’t stick around to play Europa league next season.
He will - is he going to just tear up his contract in a huff and go somewhere else? I think there are rules about that, employment laws and FIFA rules.

Like I said, he has made his bed.....

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He will - is he going to just tear up his contract in a huff and go somewhere else? I think there are rules about that, employment laws and FIFA rules.

Like I said, he has made his bed.....
I’m not advocating that he’ll tear his contract up. He’ll ask to leave and we will let him go as we won’t be able to match his ambition.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
I’m not advocating that he’ll tear his contract up. He’ll ask to leave and we will let him go as we won’t be able to match his ambition.
Yes and that would achieve what exactly? it would reinforce the view that one aged superstar is bigger than Manchester United and consequently the remaining players would continue to fanny about because they would have had it put to them indirectly, that Utd. are not a top-table club anymore.

But if the club take a stand and tell Ronaldo he signed a contract, respect it, respect it and understand it, he might get in a sulk, but the other 20 plus squad members might get a wake-up call and think 'hang-on a minute.....' Sometimes the good of the many outweighs the good of the few (or the one).

IWat

Yes and that would achieve what exactly? it would reinforce the view that one aged superstar is bigger than Manchester United and consequently the remaining players would continue to fanny about because they would have had it put to them indirectly, that Utd. are not a top-table club anymore.

But if the club take a stand and tell Ronaldo he signed a contract, respect it, respect it and understand it, he might get in a sulk, but the other 20 plus squad members might get a wake-up call and think 'hang-on a minute.....' Sometimes the good of the many outweighs the good of the few (or the one).
We aren't a top-table club at present. We haven't put up a serious title challenge in coming up to a decade and in Europe we're not even in the conversation.

FattyFooty

I think people need to focus more on what Maguire and Shaw is doing.

I never seen so much wrong in a tread before.

Ronaldo has proved hes still up for it. Now we need to play a little better as a team. Then we can get this thing going.

Skills

Snitch
In the grandscheme of football, Ronaldo is bigger and more important than Man Utd. We're one of the top 10ish clubs in European football, while Ronaldo is one of the top 3 footballers to have ever lived. His place in the history of football is more unique than ours.

If you were talking about Real Madrid and Ronaldo then it's a different story.

captaincantona

In the grandscheme of football, Ronaldo is bigger and more important than Man Utd. We're one of the top 10ish clubs in European football, while Ronaldo is one of the top 3 footballers to have ever lived. His place in the history of football is more unique than ours.

If you were talking about Real Madrid and Ronaldo then it's a different story.
Wow...this is astonishing. How you are comparing a players legacy to the history of an entire clubs is beyond me...

As players go he will be up there forever in that conversation but football is about much more than who was the best...passion, romance and a game that made kids dream...there are other great players and moments and events in footballing history that this club has been at the heart of which make it more than just a notch on the Ronaldo’s bedpost...the Busby Babes story alone grounds Man Utd in football folklore as a unifying testament to human spirit; Alex Ferguson is a life lesson in working class ethics and unadulterated triumph at the highest level; Eric will always be as mercurial and charismatic a genius as has ever played the game; George Best and the flawed brilliance that resonates with every small town “could have made it” who couldn’t over come their own addictions; the class of 92-kids...you can’t win anything with kids- has that ever been replicated in football?; ....And Solksjaer has won it!!!!!!!!!!; Bobby Chalton; Brian Robson; Roy Keane...Giggs in full flight and Rooney with an overhead kick in the top bin...so many stoppage time goals I can’t count ...magic magic magic...

don’t be so ridiculous...Ronaldo has a place in our history...not the other way round

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Why is the fact we are in the CL so important? That is one short term gain of playing with Ronaldo - he has kept us in the CL. But at what cost...we are United fans ...not Ronaldo fans (...)

We have accumulated a host of young attacking talent who will have limited opportunity in their favoured position and potentially be shoehorned in to other roles and formations to accommodate Ronny...the stats point toward the fact that this approach does not increase the general level of the team or make the team more potent...it simply makes one player the main output in terms of scoring goals as opposed to sharing that burden (a questionable tactic in itself ie. becoming over reliable on one player).

Surely, regardless of who that player is, taking a risk to build your entire team around a single player would only be worth it if it had the potential to improve the overall level of the team significantly. This does not seem to be the case with Ronaldo - in fact- we look worse with him in the team albeit his unbelievable ability to come up with the goods papers over that somewhat.

Ronaldo was and is great...but if his greatness is having no impact whatsoever...why are we celebrating it like we would be lost without it-we would be exactly where we are now as a team - CL or no CL... While a better manager and a better setup might maximise Ronaldo’s output— could the same not be said about the effect that same new manager might have on our current crop of incredibly talented forwards?Is Man Utd’s ceiling not potentially higher long term without spending the next two years feeding the GOAT?
Started with questioning why we care if we are in the champions league and not knocked out in the group stages ?

Yeah Im not reading this. Ridiculous.

captaincantona

Started with questioning why we care if we are in the champions league and not knocked out in the group stages ?

Yeah Im not reading this. Ridiculous.
In the grand scheme of things...getting excited about one guy dragging us through a very poor CL group...only to lose to the first decent team we face? when we are clearly way off being a top footballing side anymore...no I don’t care about that...I care about the team improving and developing the abundance of attacking talent we have aside from Ronaldo...so that we don’t need the big man to bail us out against Spanish/Italian cannon fodder. But you wouldn’t know that’s what I was talking about...you’re a busy guy.

croadyman

Ronny simply has to leak some stuff to the press about Ole's coaching being non existent and tell the other big names to do the same because right now it's our only hope of those yankee doodles upstairs doing something about it NOW

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ronny simply has to leak some stuff to the press about Ole's coaching being non existent and tell the other big names to do the same because right now it's our only hope of those yankee doodles upstairs doing something about it NOW
Thats a terrible thing to do and thankfully over the years Ronnie has shown to be professional enough to not do such a thing

No matter how bad or incompetent the manager is thats just shity thing to do and unprofessional

Sviken

Ronaldo isn't leaving. His post-match comments after Newcastle were that - post-match comments. He was ready to join Milan despite them playing in the EL because he wanted to win it. If Ronaldo was so concerned about trophies or what not, he would have joined City and currently be walking the league with it. Possibly the CL, too. There isn't a more easy team to guarantee trophies with at the moment. Instead he came to us. Not exactly sure how fully aware he was of how far we'd fallen, but come on - even a blind man would see and know that we aren't what we once were. He's here to help us get there. And hopefully we will once we bin Ole. It ain't so bad, this team on paper can go pound to pound with anyone, we just need the right captain to help steer the ship in the right direction.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Again the easy target. Ronaldo is used to this though. Same stuff about team cohesion was discussed back in 2008.

He is literally the only reason we are in the champions league.
I remember back then when Ronaldo was gone in 2009, some of our players (Fletcher etc) did come out and say his goals will be shared among other teammates and Man Utd will do just fine. Rooney did score more goals for 1 or 2 seasons afterwards, but our teams never reach the same height ever again since Ronaldo was gone.

redrobed

If I posted this I’d be banned

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Every team Ronaldo joins goes into a "we need to pass to Ronaldo at all times" trance. It's why Bruno scored 28 goals last season, then couldn't do anything in the Euros. Then scores 3 goals in a game before Ronaldo arrives, then scores 1 goal in 13 after he arrives. Similar to Dybala, who went from 26 goals in 2017-18 to 10 goals in 2018-19.

Not even blaming Ronaldo himself for it necessarily, it just happens in pretty much every single team he goes to. Ibrahimovic had a similar effect also.
Don’t try to blame everything, such as other players inconsistency, all on Ronaldo. Greenwood was getting worst last season and only score 7 league goals, Martial only scored 4 despite scoring 17 the season before, are you going to blame that all on Ronaldo too, before he even joined us?

Not every players are consistent season after season, and Ronaldo is not the ultimate deciding factor to affect the form of all these players. Kane was the best goalscorer in PL last season, he is like the worst now. They all have ups and downs, so don’t be ridiculous.

For Dybala case, he only scored 5 goals last season. Ronaldo’s fault isn’t it? As he scored 36. But then Morata scored 20 goals last season for Juventus too. So must be Morata fault then?

Or maybe it’s just Dybala being inconsistence, just similar to Martial or Greenwood before Ronaldo even joined us. That would explain all.

Last edited:

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
I remember back then when Ronaldo was gone in 2009, some of our players (Fletcher etc) did come out and say his goals will be shared among other teammates and Man Utd will do just fine. Rooney did score more goals for 1 or 2 seasons afterwards, but our teams never reach the same height ever again since Ronaldo was gone.
But this Ronaldo is not as good as the 2009 Ronaldo.

Just think about this, 2006~2009 Ronaldo was good enough to build a team around him and that will win United PL and the CL (which they did). Do you really think if this United build a team around current Ronaldo they would get above Liverpool, City, and Chelsea? I mean let's be real current Ronaldo is not even better than Salah and even Liverpool don't build a team around him. On top of that, a team like Manchester United should not build a team around a 37 years old, that's not planning for the future and just a short term fix, which again doesn't even guarantee any big trophies.

I really wish he transit more into a mentor type of player for Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Diallo... I know for market reasons United have to give Ronaldo the number 7, but the role of the number 7 should be given to the younger generation.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
Yes, Ronaldo was the GOAT and His fans are more than Man United, 315 millions vs 75 millions fans on Instagram.

But, no one is bigger than the clubs, I couldn't believe someone here do argue that. Ronaldo will be retired in 2-3 years time but Man United will always be there forever.

I read some posts here arguing Ronaldo is the best player in current Man united squad, they should build the squad around him, do whatever to accommodate him, he will score goals, and he already score more goals than all the strikers combine.

I think football is 11 vs 11, teamwork, tactics, individual ability, luck, mentality, preparation and etc. I am here not to talk about his ability, he was one of the best no doubt, but as a player.

Having him as many said, will bring up the confidence of the team to next level, young players will get a lot of benefit by training with him, his experience will definitely help the team and most of all, his scoring ability, everything looks great by signing him, but why Man United are playing so badly, the team who finished 2nd last season, 3rd and 4th in 2 previous season.

After signing Sacho, Varane and Ronaldo, who suppose to bring the club to next level why it suddenly collapsed. Fans keep blaming Ole, of course he is one of the blame, but fans must know that, those players who finished 4th, 3rd and 2nd wouldn't suddenly turn like a schoolboy fortnightly. Who can bring such a bad influence to the team when on paper everything looks so good?

Is the good influence for Ronaldo to show his face when he is not playing or being sub, kicking those opponents recklessly without purpose ( vs LFC Jones, vs Man City KDB ) , luckily avoid 2 red cards? He is senior in the team, he suppose to show discipline and a role model to young players.

If he is unhappy with the team or manager, please settle in the dressing room, not in the public. How Ole and Maguire will feel when both suppose to be leading the team but all have to listen to him now.

How other strikers will think about him when he doesn't want to be sub or in the bench, will other top striker still want to go to Man United with Ronaldo in here?

I wonder how is the dressing room mood for those young players now? Initially Ole want to play 3 young forwards keep running, pressing, closing down opponent, easily sub out if tiring. But now everything have to change, playing 2 strikers 1 as the Ronaldo shadow to back him up, doing all his duty except scoring. And on the bench everyone know Ronaldo won't be subbed, if I were one of them, I even do not want to prepare for the warm up.

Every young players want to play, they do not want to be a training partner to Ronaldo only. If Ronaldo can do a Teddy Sheringham or Henrik Larsson type of aging super sub strikers it might help more, but It will never happen with Ronaldo. (Do not tell me how much he cost per week to be super sub, I do not pay for it neither.)

Nothing is perfect, there are some good and some bad to have him. But I suppose, building the team around him is definitely not a good choice, he can brings you 30 goals per season but he won't bring you the EPL title. EPL is the toughest league in the world.

To have him is good, but to build the team around him is a bad choice.

shahzy

You're living in the past if you think this manchester united are anything more a marketing gimmick. Why would a player who wants to actually win things stay to play europa with a deluded board and crap coaches. There is no logic.

This version of manchester united are exactly what you think but arent saying. Not a top table club anymore. It needs a culture shift.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Definitely a case there that he has upset the balance of the team but I’d love an insiders view of how he has affected the dressing room.

Amazing footballer but he’s a huge ego that’s never come across as much of a likeable character. He might not be all that popular amongst the squad.
You really think we have a happy balance team with good structure and team style over last couple of years? I loss count on how many times Ole nearly get sacked or people loss faith in him.

Remember how dire we were in Europa league final last season? Remember when we keep losing points at home with Sunday league football type of defending against mid table teams during the first few months of last season? Remember Martial only manage to score 4 goals, and Greenwood only score 7 goals in the league throughout last season? Remember after Ole was awarded his contract the season before, we then went on several months playing horrible football until end of that season?

Do you really think we don’t have issues before Ronaldo arrive?

How about Sancho? 0 goals 0 assists in 13 games, he contributed feck all and has been taking up spaces in our line up. Don’t you think he may have at least contributed something to do with our poor run of forms, instead of someone who won us many points and scored us 9 goals in 12 games? He cost us much more money than Ronaldo too, imagine using those 75m on midfielders and full backs instead…

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
But this Ronaldo is not as good as the 2009 Ronaldo.

Just think about this, 2006~2009 Ronaldo was good enough to build a team around him and that will win United PL and the CL (which they did). Do you really think if this United build a team around current Ronaldo they would get above Liverpool, City, and Chelsea? I mean let's be real current Ronaldo is not even better than Salah and even Liverpool don't build a team around him. On top of that, a team like Manchester United should not build a team around a 37 years old, that's not planning for the future and just a short term fix, which again doesn't even guarantee any big trophies.

I really wish he transit more into a mentor type of player for Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Diallo... I know for market reasons United have to give Ronaldo the number 7, but the role of the number 7 should be given to the younger generation.
But we are not better team too, 4 years without a trophy with this team without Ronaldo anyway, and he is already the best we’ve got. Greenwood only score 7 goals last season in the league, Rashford is productive but is always inconsistence, Martial only score 4 last season and was very inconsistence, Sancho is losing pace with PL with 0 goals 0 assists in 13 games, do you want us to build a team around them instead? None of them press too, only Cavani and Bruno do the pressing anyway, if that’s what you looking for.

RedDribble

Supports
Dortmund, Barcelona
But we are not better team too, 4 years without a trophy with this team without Ronaldo anyway, and he is already the best we’ve got. Greenwood only score 7 goals last season in the league, Rashford is productive but is always inconsistence, Martial only score 4 last season and was very inconsistence, Sancho is losing pace with PL with 0 goals 0 assists in 13 games, do you want us to build a team around them instead? None of them press too, only Cavani and Bruno do the pressing anyway, if that’s what you looking for.
With all the stats you are showing, all I will say is they still landed 2nd in the PL and went to the Europa League finals. Even if Liverpool didn't have injuries and did great that would still be at least 3rd in the league, and United went through very tough teams in the Europa League.

Also, pressing is not the only way to contribute defensively, for example moving around closing passing lanes is also contribution. Still Rashford and Greenwood are not good at but they still attempt while when I see Ronaldo he just stands on the front line waiting (saving energy) for the chance.

Yes, Ronaldo was the GOAT and His fans are more than Man United, 315 millions vs 75 millions fans on Instagram.

But, no one is bigger than the clubs, I couldn't believe someone here do argue that. Ronaldo will be retired in 2-3 years time but Man United will always be there forever.

I read some posts here arguing Ronaldo is the best player in current Man united squad, they should build the squad around him, do whatever to accommodate him, he will score goals, and he already score more goals than all the strikers combine.

I think football is 11 vs 11, teamwork, tactics, individual ability, luck, mentality, preparation and etc. I am here not to talk about his ability, he was one of the best no doubt, but as a player.

Having him as many said, will bring up the confidence of the team to next level, young players will get a lot of benefit by training with him, his experience will definitely help the team and most of all, his scoring ability, everything looks great by signing him, but why Man United are playing so badly, the team who finished 2nd last season, 3rd and 4th in 2 previous season.

After signing Sacho, Varane and Ronaldo, who suppose to bring the club to next level why it suddenly collapsed. Fans keep blaming Ole, of course he is one of the blame, but fans must know that, those players who finished 4th, 3rd and 2nd wouldn't suddenly turn like a schoolboy fortnightly. Who can bring such a bad influence to the team when on paper everything looks so good?

Is the good influence for Ronaldo to show his face when he is not playing or being sub, kicking those opponents recklessly without purpose ( vs LFC Jones, vs Man City KDB ) , luckily avoid 2 red cards? He is senior in the team, he suppose to show discipline and a role model to young players.

If he is unhappy with the team or manager, please settle in the dressing room, not in the public. How Ole and Maguire will feel when both suppose to be leading the team but all have to listen to him now.

How other strikers will think about him when he doesn't want to be sub or in the bench, will other top striker still want to go to Man United with Ronaldo in here?

I wonder how is the dressing room mood for those young players now? Initially Ole want to play 3 young forwards keep running, pressing, closing down opponent, easily sub out if tiring. But now everything have to change, playing 2 strikers 1 as the Ronaldo shadow to back him up, doing all his duty except scoring. And on the bench everyone know Ronaldo won't be subbed, if I were one of them, I even do not want to prepare for the warm up.

Every young players want to play, they do not want to be a training partner to Ronaldo only. If Ronaldo can do a Teddy Sheringham or Henrik Larsson type of aging super sub strikers it might help more, but It will never happen with Ronaldo. (Do not tell me how much he cost per week to be super sub, I do not pay for it neither.)

Nothing is perfect, there are some good and some bad to have him. But I suppose, building the team around him is definitely not a good choice, he can brings you 30 goals per season but he won't bring you the EPL title. EPL is the toughest league in the world.

To have him is good, but to build the team around him is a bad choice.
Exactly, I don't know why some people don't understand this.

I will go far as to say unless Ronaldo tones down his ego, this signing was a mistake.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
https://www.teamtalk.com/manchester...y-veiled-di-solskjaer-urges-beautiful-reunion

Cavani wants to play in a central striker partnership with Ronaldo - as talked about many here even before the Tottenham match that this was the potential best line up because Ronaldo has always, always needed a striker partner in his prime as a LW (Rooney, Tevez, Benzema) and more later in his career even as a forward with Dybala.

Cavani and Ronaldo is the best partnership to get the best out of Ronaldo.

Players like Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood don't fit in such a set up unless you loose Bruno (442) who is our main creative player. Pogba can't play in a midfield 2 either,
so 352 it is with Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood on the bench.

This is why even though Ole is doing a very poor job of management - I don't accept that "oh Sancho is on the bench after scouting him for three years and should have never been signed". He is on the bench because we bought Ronaldo unplanned on deadline day and is currently an undroppable Striker (which has stopped rotation of the striker) that has ALSO led to adapting of tactics in to a double striker system like the 352.

All this had to be was Ronaldo being a bit more of a rotational player, start some games, start some games on the bench - but ultimately he is our main man and main tactic now at the age of 36; which has led to flaws both attacking and defensively but also undoubtedly positives in goalscoring too.

Him scoring goals is valuable but not a surprise, it's what we are now tactically building towards - Ronaldo scoring our goals.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Christ - this happens anywhere any player would go. The goals come from different places. For one, it's not like we're adding a 12th man to the pitch in Ronaldo, he's replacing mainly Cavani.

If Lewa was to leave Bayern, they'd probably score fewer goals, but the likes of Sane, Gnabry, Muller, Coman will probably all get more goals. Because of them 50 goals a season Robert is getting, these will come from different players. It's not like Bayern will go from 100 goals a season to 50. In essence, you're suggesting Lewa is impacting all the other forwards at Bayern by being there.

If Messi, Ronaldo and Lewa were to play in the same team, they wouldn't each score 40+ goals a season, that's just not how it works.
Yes that’s kind of my point. So you should only value a strikers goal contribution looking at the bigger picture of the goals that are NOT scored that otherwise would have been. To give an extreme, but more easy to understand, example, if Ronaldo scored 80 goals in a season and no one else scored any, then it wouldn’t be worth the transfer fee and wages if I’m his absence 4 strikers would all have scored 20 goals. The net result is the same but in one scenario you’ve needed an extra player just to achieve what you would have achieved anyway.

Oh give it a rest Bebe. We had some very good Ole spells with Martial walking around up top.
We’re shite in a 5-3-2 and shite in a 4-3-3 because the entire team don’t know what the feck to do with themselves.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
With all the stats you are showing, all I will say is they still landed 2nd in the PL and went to the Europa League finals. Even if Liverpool didn't have injuries and did great that would still be at least 3rd in the league, and United went through very tough teams in the Europa League.

Also, pressing is not the only way to contribute defensively, for example moving around closing passing lanes is also contribution. Still Rashford and Greenwood are not good at but they still attempt while when I see Ronaldo he just stands on the front line waiting (saving energy) for the chance.

Exactly, I don't know why some people don't understand this.

I will go far as to say unless Ronaldo tones down his ego, this signing was a mistake.
We are at the worst position at the start of last season as compared to this one.

Liverpool wasn’t good last season, they have had injuries to their key players, Chelsea has Lampard for half season which kind of wreck their overall standing by end of it.

The key of our last season is when Ole was at the wheel and has a lengthy run of games which push our position up, whereas many of our rivals have had their own problems. Also Pogba has been very influential for 2nd half of season who give us a real push.

We are well beaten by Villarreal in Europa league final, and we are also out of CL group games too. We were not really good.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
https://www.teamtalk.com/manchester...y-veiled-di-solskjaer-urges-beautiful-reunion

Cavani wants to play in a central striker partnership with Ronaldo - as talked about many here even before the Tottenham match that this was the potential best line up because Ronaldo has always, always needed a striker partner in his prime as a LW (Rooney, Tevez, Benzema) and more later in his career even as a forward with Dybala.

Cavani and Ronaldo is the best partnership to get the best out of Ronaldo.

Players like Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood don't fit in such a set up unless you loose Bruno (442) who is our main creative player. Pogba can't play in a midfield 2 either,
so 352 it is with Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood on the bench.

This is why even though Ole is doing a very poor job of management - I don't accept that "oh Sancho is on the bench after scouting him for three years and should have never been signed". He is on the bench because we bought Ronaldo unplanned on deadline day and is currently an undroppable Striker (which has stopped rotation of the striker) that has ALSO led to adapting of tactics in to a double striker system like the 352.

All this had to be was Ronaldo being a bit more of a rotational player, start some games, start some games on the bench - but ultimately he is our main man and main tactic now at the age of 36; which has led to flaws both attacking and defensively but also undoubtedly positives in goalscoring too.

Him scoring goals is valuable but not a surprise, it's what we are now tactically building towards - Ronaldo scoring our goals.
I think Sancho is on the bench because he is really shite for us in PL. I think he is easily the worst attacking player in our squad at the moment.

captaincantona

Yes that’s kind of my point. So you should only value a strikers goal contribution looking at the bigger picture of the goals that are NOT scored that otherwise would have been. To give an extreme, but more easy to understand, example, if Ronaldo scored 80 goals in a season and no one else scored any, then it wouldn’t be worth the transfer fee and wages if I’m his absence 4 strikers would all have scored 20 goals. The net result is the same but in one scenario you’ve needed an extra player just to achieve what you would have achieved anyway.
??? How would the net result be the same?

in one scenario you have a specific Goal scorer who needs a specific way of playing. You take talented young players and shoehorn them into a formation and positions that do not play to their strengths and thus stunt their development somewhat because they are playing to assist one goal scorer. If that goal scorer gets injured...(or retires) you’re Fuked and back at square one needing to develop another way of playing.

In a formation which is not so focused on one player, the squad comes in to play, you play the same way with the same approach regardless, for the most part, of who is available. This equals consistency if executed correctly and if the big guy gets injured the rest are perfectly positioned to deputise.

Ronaldo fans really do bend logic to support him. It’s bizarre.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Oh give it a rest Bebe. We had some very good Ole spells with Martial walking around up top.
We’re shite in a 5-3-2 and shite in a 4-3-3 because the entire team don’t know what the feck to do with themselves.
If you understand the importance of the difference in positioning vs pressing then I think you could see it but you don't see it nor understand it.

People saw the difference between Cavani and Rashford when Rashford played as a LS in a partnership with Ronaldo in a 352 vs Atalanta.

Very poor today, played as striker but he barely stayed in central position. He just stood on the left wing without making runs. Terrible game.
Rashford was leaning playing almost as a LW at times in the way he positions himself as a striker in a 352 vs Atalanta.

That's in a 352 - so atleast there's 2 forwards atleast keeping the opposition back 3 or 2 busy.

Now in a 4231, we only have one striker which is currently Ronaldo.

Ronaldo for 12 years or more has been a LW in his prime. So he doesn't position him self centrally as a striker on to the CB'S, he positions himself slight off the centre almost as a LF even though he should be playing as a pure central striker by himself.

This gives complete freedom for the opposition back line to switch lines across left to right and play directly through the middle (hence why you see Bruno pressing so far ahead and as the most central and we getting opened up).

It's got nothing to do with just pure running and pressing; positioning has alot to do with it.

Martial atleast positions him centrally which blocks off the angles of the CB'S as a CF as shown by his ability to hold on to the ball and bring others like the inverted forwards to play. How many times do you see him occupying the CB'S with his back to goal with his ball at his feet trying to bring a pass to the inverted forwards?

Cavani is the exact same - he is the most central player we have AND THEN you can add the fact that he is an energetic pressing player that can play occupying the CB'S space and attention.

Anyway, it's too scientific possibly. I've shown plenty videos, if you want one let me know (I didn't make these videos, proving it's not just me who feels this way). It's not something I've made up; it's something I see on Sports Articles, Professional Footballers talking about, Data, YouTube videos and sports news alot.

I believe it whilst You choose not to believe it and that's fine, anything that keeps you happy!

I just want to talk about what these professional footballers and sport news and articles are talking about - looking at this thread, there are some that can see it and some who are just happy when the ball gets put in the back in the net.

Stay Happy!

Last edited:

View from a blue

Supports
Manchester City
You really think we have a happy balance team with good structure and team style over last couple of years? I loss count on how many times Ole nearly get sacked or people loss faith in him.

Remember how dire we were in Europa league final last season? Remember when we keep losing points at home with Sunday league football type of defending against mid table teams during the first few months of last season? Remember Martial only manage to score 4 goals, and Greenwood only score 7 goals in the league throughout last season? Remember after Ole was awarded his contract the season before, we then went on several months playing horrible football until end of that season?

Do you really think we don’t have issues before Ronaldo arrive?

How about Sancho? 0 goals 0 assists in 13 games, he contributed feck all and has been taking up spaces in our line up. Don’t you think he may have at least contributed something to do with our poor run of forms, instead of someone who won us many points and scored us 9 goals in 12 games? He cost us much more money than Ronaldo too, imagine using those 75m on midfielders and full backs instead…
Hi Red Ronaldo, I was just agreeing with others that there may be a case he has upset the balance of the team but my post was more to do with how he has been received in the dressing room.

Get the feeling it’s been a bit of a shock to the system having him join out of nowhere and being the focal point of the team all of a sudden. He was a knee jerk signing that doesn’t fit with how Ole had been working, he was happy to play young players trying to build a team. I’m not saying Ole is the answer he certainly doesn’t seem to be able to get the team to adapt to accommodating Ronaldo but at least he was brave enough to try and bed in the likes of Rashford and Greenwood.

Now Rashford especially must be feeling it, he’s had 1 league start this season. Ronaldo's presence has also hindered the influence Bruno is able to have on the team. He hasn’t been anywhere near the level of the driving presence he was.

It also means the whole team need to be working harder off the ball as Ronaldo at 36 isn’t suddenly going to become a player that grafts for his team. The team around Ronaldo don’t look like they’re up for doing that at all.

I honestly don’t know what to say about Sancho so far, not sure what’s going on he’s had zero impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.