g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Someone needs to explain to me why we're still paying him. He's clearly not doing his actual job, in an attempt to go do it somewhere else. F*ck him. Stop his weekly half million quid payments and see how quickly this situation resolves itself.

I 100% trust EtH to tell the marketing wizards to get f*cked.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Come and get me plea for UCL clubs who might be willing to accept Ronaldo on a short term (one-season loan) basis.

Evidently, no UCL club has any interest in taking Ronaldo long term.
Hardly surprising when they just have to see a pre-Ronaldo United and a Ronaldo-led United difference.

A commercial bump-up but a hara-kiri act for any manager. Or maybe Simeone wants to leave Atletico but wants to get paid up fully through sacking. ;)

Reyoji-Utd

I still maintain that itd be best for both to part ways. If CR still with us then i doubt wed be better than last season because of the way we play would have to center around him to acommodate him and well see again that hell get his goals but the bad results will inevitably be ours. And if ETH decide to bench him more then we will see all the circus happend like last seaaon.

city-puma

I’ve seen enough of Martial for the past 7 years he’s nowhere near good enough. He’s got 5 league goals in the past 2 seasons, if we’re relying on Martial this coming season then we’re in trouble.

I understand what you’re saying Martial is a dynamic player……when he wants to be. That’s his problem he must be one of the most hot/cold players I’ve ever seen.
As I remember, you have said this several times here. Everyone gets your opinion.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I still maintain that itd be best for both to part ways. If CR still with us then i doubt wed be better than last season because of the way we play would have to center around him to acommodate him and well see again that hell get his goals but the bad results will inevitably be ours. And if ETH decide to bench him more then we will see all the circus happend like last seaaon.
Technically not really. A good manager can make CR7 works. Whether he bought his methods are another discussion.

There are ways to play football. Might not the ideal but I'm sure if this is the case ETH can compromise.

It's not like we're chargin on all front. Year 1 we have to iron out so many things it's not the end of the world having CR7 as stopgap for another year until we sort our midfield

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
EtH has gone up in my estimation ... the moment United came up against a decent side deep into its pre-season, they looked lacklustre. All the world's pressing is useless unless you have someone who can consistently put the ball in the back of the net. It's why the most expensive defenders are half the price of the most expensive strikers.
How many strikers scored more goals than Ronaldo in the top-5 leagues and how many of them will realistically come to United?
Immobile, Terrier, Dembele (Lyon), Schick, Modeste and Nkunku are the only players under the age of 30 who you could realistically target now to score goals.

Reyoji-Utd

Technically not really. A good manager can make CR7 works. Whether he bought his methods are another discussion.

There are ways to play football. Might not the ideal but I'm sure if this is the case ETH can compromise.

It's not like we're chargin on all front. Year 1 we have to iron out so many things it's not the end of the world having CR7 as stopgap for another year until we sort our midfield
I just wants a clean slate from now on and that could start with Ronaldo esp with him doesnt want to be here. Why risk our season just to compromise even more for him since we already have to compromise with our Mid and RB already.
With the showing of our play this preseason, its hard to see Ronaldo will fit in with the team. If he stay, hell get his goals and then hell get the applauds becasue his fans will argue that he does his work with all the goals but itd be detrimental to the team as we saw last season. Lets be honest, hell demand all the play to cater to him so he can get the goals he want for his own accolades abd when we dont then well see the dramas happen.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
You’ll hardly hear of him outside the game within about 5 years of him retiring. He isn’t Beckham-esque level of celebrity and he certainly won’t be close to the likes of Michael Jordan who you’re putting him at the level of with comments like that.
5 years after he’s retired. He’ll be totally forgotten outside of the game.
I don’t see him keeping up with Beckham (who he’s undoubtedly bigger than now) once he’s not in the news every week.
This is absolutely incorrect in the US … Ronaldo is more popular than Beckham, especially in people younger than 30. Beckham with his blonde hair, blue eyes and clean 'approachable white guy' image worked well with a 70% White population that is now less than 60% and is rapidly ageing. Hispanics (who've mainly grown up following La Liga/Serie A teams and will grow to 40% of America's population in 18 years) identify with Ronaldo/Chicarito/Suarez/Mourinho more than a Beckham/Rooney/Vidic/SAF.
Also - how much of the US White population is passionate about football versus Hispanics i.e. soccer is their no.1 game?
Ronaldo will have plenty of takers after football - modeling, sponsorship, hotels, restaurants and possibly movies.

Last edited:

chb23

The club gave him time off. He's not in breach of contract by having agreed leave ffs!
can you imagine the media attention if they don't give him the "time off" ?

Man Utd is in a hard place at the moment with public perception around this. Yes he's not in breach of his contract officially.

Gazza

Can you imagine United's Twitter account, Ronaldo returning from a loan to play for United again in 23/24?

"Welcome home, Cristiano"

Idxomer

If there's any truth to this loan rumor, we should really all give up.

nainaisson

EtH has gone up in my estimation ... the moment United came up against a decent side deep into its pre-season, they looked lacklustre. All the world's pressing is useless unless you have someone who can consistently put the ball in the back of the net. It's why the most expensive defenders are half the price of the most expensive strikers.
How many strikers scored more goals than Ronaldo in the top-5 leagues and how many of them will realistically come to United?
Immobile, Terrier, Dembele (Lyon), Schick, Modeste and Nkunku are the only players under the age of 30 who you could realistically target now to score goals.
If you're trying to sell a player, that last thing you want is for the manager to call him a washed-up MLS retirement home player in denial.

We don't know what Ten Hag actually thinks of him. It's the manager's job to lie for the sake of the club.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
If you're trying to sell a player, that last thing you want is for the manager to call him a washed-up MLS retirement home player in denial.
We don't know what Ten Hag actually thinks of him. It's the manager's job to lie for the sake of the club.
Ronaldo is one of the most watched sportsmen on the planet ... Every manager/team would have a good idea about his strengths and weaknesses.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Did you not notice the conditions? And the fact that United changed 10 player in second half. Talk about overreaction. Villa barely played in first half

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
For what it’s worth Portuguese media saying that his children have signed up for school…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……………….IN LISBON

I refuse to allow my mind to even consider this….

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, that explains why City is dominating PL without proper strikers :lol:

as if United that had 3 top 3 finishes in the PL & an FA Cup final & SF in 4 years prior to Ronaldo's arrival was struggling to score. Let's all forget Bruno scored the same number of goals despite playing as a playmaker a season before where United finished PL 2nd.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Sounds like Utd are bending over backwards to keep a player nobody really wants.
Tbh, it looks very weird, he is getting rejected left and right in an embarrassing fashion for weeks now.

Any other top team or any team with some self-respect would come out and say that they only want players who would honor their shirt and be proud of wearing it and they will try to make it easy for those who want to leave, that simple. The way he treats United, the way he is treated in the market, and the way United treats him puts United at the bottom of the totem pole unfortunately (I said unfortunately because United is not any random team, it is one of the all time great clubs), that's how it looks from outside to most non-United fans tbh.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
As I remember, you have said this several times here. Everyone gets your opinion.
Dude is sounding like a broken record.

Did you not notice the conditions? And the fact that United changed 10 player in second half. Talk about overreaction. Villa barely played in first half
These Ronaldo fanboys want to make it seems like we're hopeless without him so they grasp at anything.

What's funny is that the 2 years prior to Ronaldo, with Ole in charge we managed to score more goals and finished higher but somehow we're supposed to believe a 38 year old who doesn't work hard is going to change our fortune. Let him go and pad his stats elsewhere.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
With Chelsea getting turned over by Arsenal and their attack looking stale, will Tuchel be desperate enough to buy Ronaldo? Fingers crossed.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
For what it’s worth Portuguese media saying that his children have signed up for school…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..……………….IN LISBON

I refuse to allow my mind to even consider this….
To be fair … a flight from Lisbon to Madrid is 1hrs 25 minutes. Could it be Atletico ?

LARulz

With Chelsea getting turned over by Arsenal and their attack looking stale, will Tuchel be desperate enough to buy Ronaldo? Fingers crossed.
Why would we want to give our direct top 4 rival the goal scorer they need? His lack of hard work is always an issue but they can get 9 other work horses, they are literally just missing a goal scorer. Only worth consideration if they pay us an absolute fortune for him as they may be desperate

You can go on loan because you don’t want to be here but you’ve to stay the season after :lol: who even makes up this shit
Agreed, and also the contract usually lets us unilaterally trigger these one-year extensions, no player agreement needed (not sure why we would choose to trigger it at this time).

Seems like paper talk, or the story has some information missing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Atletico could be realistic because Mendes holds a lot of sway over them. Whether they actually see Cristiano as a good deal or a favour to Mendes, they'll let him try

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Its really about CL football. He sees Europa league football as beneath him and literally wants no part in it. Ronaldo would actually be embarrassed to play in it and not the CL. Would hurt his image which he needs to carefully protect given he is almost 38, the minute he starts playing in the Europa league he will fret about the perception that he is yesterdays news.

Other great players have had no issue playing Europa league. But Ronaldo has always obsessed about his legacy & this is part of it. He cant be playing in the Europa League while Messi is still part of a team that can win the CL and equal his 5 titles. 5 Champions League titles to Messi's 4 is one of the things Ronaldo has over Messi. Ronaldo will not win another Ballon Dor let alone two to match Messi's seven. Its important for Ronaldo to keep playing in the CL. Chelsea, Atlentico Madrid, any team with a worthwhile chance of winning the competition he would consider

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How do you think the Atletico fans will react to him considering his affiliations with Real and how he taunted them previously?
They will boo him lustily. Their fans absolutely don't want him. This is a very risky move from a legacy standpoint for him.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
When it comes to the away trips to remote parts of Europe with stadium capacity of 5000 to 10,000 people he wont want to go. There is the prestige blow of losing Ronaldo, but honestly you need to rip the band aid off and allow him to leave. He is going to want to pick his matches to play and this will undermine ETG. Alternately ETG tries to stamp his authority and picks him for the away group match in Siberia and Ronaldo doesn't board the plane. This is when an unmovable object meets an unstoppable force resulting in an explosion

Arteta went nuclear freezing out PEA and allow him to leave on a free transfer, advise....dont let it come to that. Sell him now while you can

LARulz

They will boo him lustily. Their fans absolutely don't want him. This is a very risky move from a legacy standpoint for him.
People are fickle. But on top of that, in 15/20 years all people will remember is Ronaldo is a football legend and that's it. There are a lot of big players who left on sour notes at clubs but over time people just shrug and say what a great player. Time heals, so as much as a lot of United fans (including me) are pissed, I know there is a high chance in a few years I'll remember him more fondly

IhabX7

I’m hoping he stays for the good of the team, but the fact that he hasn’t even had a talk with the manager is not a respectable position. Ten Hag needs to know if he could rely on him as soon as possible. It will all be resolved this week though I’m guessing.

Giggsyking

Absolutely. Mike has an incredible shoe brand which means he will live on forever but basketball is a America’s based sport and a much smaller sport then futebol.

Ronaldo has a FAR bigger reach and is arguably the most popular futebol player ever especially with the social media era. You say it’s bots but having double the next person on Instagram tells me that’s bs.

Post retirement he will eclipse Beckham even more so then he does now. Who has not achieved not even 1/3 of what Ronaldo has in the Sport and is not as known.
Maybe in futebol, but not in football.

Savlehest

I really don’t believe he will move. This is just about “selling” tweets. Why would he ever move to ATL or sporting or anything in that range, right now.
I think he is out because maybe he aren’t fully vaccinated and therefore can’t enter Australia

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
To be fair Ronaldo going to Atletico would be such a kick in the balls to his Real legacy, as well as his MUFC legacy. He can alienate two fanbases in one go while getting knocked out in the CL quarter finals.
I get the impression RM don’t do sentimentality like we do and have already moved on (to winning the Champions League again).

tombombadil

EtH has already thrown the gauntlet at Ronaldo. He's talking up triggering the contract extension for another year. That'll be a nightmare for Ronaldo. If someone comes in and meets the selling price before the season starts, that's great for both sides. If not, he will have to come back in and play ball and be a good quiet boy until Jan. That is the logical path for both parties at this point.

AndySmith1990

To be fair Ronaldo going to Atletico would be such a kick in the balls to his Real legacy, as well as his MUFC legacy. He can alienate two fanbases in one go while getting knocked out in the CL quarter finals.

Genius move on the twilight of your GOAT career.

I dont especially care how Ronaldo feels about the team currently. I do care about respecting the contract you signed, and moreover not leaving the moment things get hard.

Instead he chills out in his fancy fortress at home and gets to decide what his employer does. Selfish.
Real Madrid aren't stuck in the past like we are. They just want to get on with winning stuff. You won't see them crying because an over the hill Ronaldo is threatening to join a rival

UnitedFan93

I’ve seen enough of Martial for the past 7 years he’s nowhere near good enough. He’s got 5 league goals in the past 2 seasons, if we’re relying on Martial this coming season then we’re in trouble.

I understand what you’re saying Martial is a dynamic player……when he wants to be. That’s his problem he must be one of the most hot/cold players I’ve ever seen.
If Martial brings out the best of Rashford, Sancho, and Bruno, we wouldn't just be relying on Martial for goals. That's the thing, it's all about how the front four performs together in terms of forming relationships and patterns of play. Last season, with Ronaldo upfront there was no chemistry in attack, hence the reason why Rashford, Sancho, and Bruno had terrible seasons, and why we became so reliant on Ronaldo, who was seen as a saviour despite us finishing in a Europa League spot. Balance is key.

That being said, we will definitely need another option upfront, to rotate with Martial. Someone young and hungry, someone who's a goal threat and willing to press, hence the reason why I wrote earlier that it's crucial that we replace Ronaldo, so that we have another option.

pascell

If he’s being given compassionate leave then you’d be asking him initially
Exactly, he's still ruling the roost over us and when he returns.

I'm sure I read a tweet that said the family matter has been resolved, so why's he not at Carrington training? It's ridiculous, he's treating us with a lot of disrespect.

Status
Not open for further replies.