Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Morata would be the better choice because if it doesn't work out you'll always be able to sell him back to Juventus for 30M before At Madrid buys him again for 45M 2 weeks later.

gaffs

That would be too shrewd a move for the bumbling cronies in charge of the club...

Llorente is on the verge of being world class, injury is the only thing that stopped him from building on that fantastic 20/21 season
Why would Llorente want to come to United?

People are forgetting, we are a mess right now. The laughing stock of World football.

For now, we are stuck with trying to pick up players that no one wants - see Rabiot and Icardi.

eire-red

Can we not just bin off the Rabiot deal, use that money plus Ronaldo to get Marcos Llorente? He'd be fantastic in a pressing system.
Really good player, but seems quite happy in Madrid. I don't mind the Rabiot deal if we get FDJ alongside him. Think they could complement each other.

With Ronaldo, who knows what to do. On one hand, you need trouble-makers out of the team. But on the other side, who replaces those 24 goals? Imagine Suprs sold Kane last season. Not a chance they would be in the CL now, so I think sometimes it's worth trying to keep quality players (assuming Ronaldo isn't a hugely disruptive force).

Lebo

Morata would be the better choice because if it doesn't work out you'll always be able to sell him back to Juventus for 30M before At Madrid buys him again for 45M 2 weeks later.
you must be a our DOF.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sell him and someone please email Richard not to afraid of selling Ronaldo. Remind him, commercial is last. If the manager thinks he should go then let him go.

MrEleson

The thing is, what I'm getting here from you, is that you will simply not even entertain the idea that Ronaldo could possibly affect the way a team plays in a negative way. As you've done above, the blame will always be shifted. And it's true to a certain extent because he's not going to be solely to blame for any club's problems. And that's the same with United. Ronaldo is not 100% to blame for United's problems. But he's a problem. This current incarnation of Ronaldo definitely has an impact on how a team must set up and play.

And, quite frankly, it's not worth the hassle. He needs to go. What you're getting in return (as Juve found out) is not worth it.
No that’s not what I’m saying or trying to imply at all. I’ve always maintained that things are more nuanced than the average fan would like to acknowledge. Most seem to think that Ronaldo leaving would magically solve all our problems which is obviously untrue. I do think he can definitely affect the team in a way that isn’t always ideal (him being the focal point and all balls going to him). This current United side and this version of him is definitely a bad fit which is why I’ve maintained that a departure would be best for both parties.

But I really don’t think his playstyle is a principle reason we’re like we are. I mean look at us against Brighton without him on the pitch.

I just think there’s something fundamentally wrong at the club that starts all the way from the boardroom.

A9X SJ

I’d be very surprised if we were to terminate his contract due to the revenue he generates I think we only signed him because of the City rumours obviously he can still do it at this level even in a dire squad like ours!

It probably is the correct decision to sell or terminate if he is wanting out or causing issues for ETH.

Theonas

Scout
I appreciate the long thought out post and even agree with a lot of what you said. His constant demands are definitely not conducive to a good environment in his current setting but it doesn't mean he wouldn't thrive elsewhere. I don't think he's inherently toxic or even means to be. I just feel this group of players are mentally weak and just can't tolerate/cope with a personality like Ronaldo's in the dressing room. It'll definitely better for all parties if he moved on but I still think he can still be a key player for a team at the highest level.
Fair enough! I appreciate that you see him as not inherently toxic and that there is no intention to it. I wouldn't really argue against that and understand that these players have shown a collective lack of many things, including mental strength. I do think though that we generally obsess too much with mental strength and character and all that, I see them as traits that can be dictated by the environment to a very high degree. De Bruyne is "weak" in a mentally "weak" team with Belgium. Yet he is a fighter and takes a major part in one of the most successful teams in PL history. You can say the same about your Gerrards, Lampards, Beckhams and that whole English generation. I'd go as far as say that City team has very few players that could be classified as strong characters outside of that City environment. We have players that won things you don't win if you are mentally weak.

Our problem for me is a complete lack of cohesion, a mishmash of talents and attributes that just does not fit together and a lax comfortable culture from the top with how they handle managerial and directorial roles which allows for issues to fester and add up which leads to paper over the crack solutions stream of decisions. When you have this level of incoherence and a lack of direction, you are fragile and very vulnerable so it's easier to be affected by things like a bad defeat, a bad run, or a disruptive presence like Ronaldo. You need a strong foundation to allow for a winning culture and strong mentality to develop. People like Ronaldo are not the norm, he is literally one of the greatest players in the history of the game, he is not normal, his mentality is not normal. Yet teams have been very successful and currently are without any abnormal one off mentality monsters. They build a collective mentality through working in the same direction and trusting the foundation they build. You need however very strong leadership in one way or another. City have Pep, Liverpool have Klopp, Real have their name and their president, Chelsea had Abramovic which is why it's very curious which direction they will go now. Bayern have their famous board and legends running the show. We simply have no one. No one is running this club the way every successful club had someone clearly in charge.

I can't think of any top team outside PSG and maybe maybe Real Madrid but that comes with an asterisk, that don't play with 10 runners, and I mean players who will press their heart out. Ronaldo can't do that. I honestly thought that his only possible option in the elite is these two but Perez was brutal last week and PSG have apparently stopped the gravy train this summer. I thought they wouldn't be able to resist the marketing goldmine of Messi and Ronaldo in the same team but I was wrong. In short, it's really difficult to see a top coach indulging a player to the level Ronaldo would require in today's game.

Last edited:

gaffs

Interested to know on what grounds we would terminate his contract? Ronaldo and his team would need to agree to this, otherwise United will be paying out the remainder of it. £35mil, I believe.

If he is a free agent, then what? Who is going to take him and his £500k a week salary?
He is effectively a free agent now because every club knows they could put in a measly bid for him and have a good chance of United accepting.

Personally, i think the best option for him would be to take a salary cut and go back to Sporting. He could play in the CL, im sure he would score a ton of goals in the Portuguese league and it would be a fitting way to end a great career.

He deserves better than finishing his club career with United, in the state we are in right now.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Why don’t Ronaldo and United agree to mutually terminating the contract?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
same thing happened at Juventus ... they went from 86 to 70, with him scoring the bulk of them (21). Not saying you can put all of that squarely on Ronaldo, but it's hard to completely dismiss this either. Every single one of our attacking players has regressed after we brought him back.
They also went from 77 to 53 without him, which basically defeat your whole claim here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He scored what he did because players are instructed to pass to him at every opportunity, to the detriment of the team.
He created most chances for us last game though. He also created our best chance in first game.

HayabusaUtd

He created most chances for us last game though. He also created our best chance in first game.
He's not the problem on the pitch because he still has quality. The problem is off the pitch he's been absolutely poisonous(rightly or wrongly) to the rest of that squad who can't do shit with him around the club.

If Ronaldo leaves don't be surprised if every player in that squad plays to maximum.

steffyr2

He's not the problem on the pitch because he still has quality. The problem is off the pitch he's been absolutely poisonous(rightly or wrongly) to the rest of that squad who can't do shit with him around the club.

If Ronaldo leaves don't be surprised if every player in that squad plays to maximum.
How would you know?

Honestly, last year it was Ronaldo's fault because he didn't press. I guess that excuse is even too silly this year?
What's the theory this year? That Ronaldo doesn't like to lose, and the rest of the team is fine with losing....so the plan is to get rid of Ronaldo?

I've noticed that Pogba, our former really big problem, is gone and things didn't get instantly better. Makes me think that this scapegoating of players isn't really very good at picking out problems or finding solutions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

He's not poisonous. He's a winner with winning mentality. It's only because he's grouped up with wimps he becomes the odd one.

If all of our players has his attitude we would fare much much better

I'd fume if i play with a group of fannies that's sulking and stopped running

wazz786

Totally hit the nail on the head. I don’t get this how argument of Ronaldo being the issue. He is natural born winner and trying to push the rest to become winners, but the rest are simply good enough to be at that level.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Chiellini alluded to this recently - going as far as to say Ronaldo was able to disguise a lot of the team's issues.
Thats the thing ... weak Juventus coaches who had no new ideas, simply thought that giving the ball to Ronaldo would solve their problems. Allegri's cycle at Juve was over (proven last season and I believe this season will prove it again), Sarri tried to play a style nobody at Juve could execute and Pirlo played a 1990s English style 4-4-2. When their tactics failed, they resorted to focusing only on getting the best out of Ronaldo.

Ladron de redcafe

He scored what he did because players are instructed to pass to him at every opportunity, to the detriment of the team.
Nailed it. But as expected, the team was going o suffer by going that route, and it did. Not only scored less goals overall but immediately put up the worst points total in the premier league era.

Member 101269

The thing is, what I'm getting here from you, is that you will simply not even entertain the idea that Ronaldo could possibly affect the way a team plays in a negative way. As you've done above, the blame will always be shifted. And it's true to a certain extent because he's not going to be solely to blame for any club's problems. And that's the same with United. Ronaldo is not 100% to blame for United's problems. But he's a problem. This current incarnation of Ronaldo definitely has an impact on how a team must set up and play.

And, quite frankly, it's not worth the hassle. He needs to go. What you're getting in return (as Juve found out) is not worth it.
Haaland a central striker
Nunez a central striker
Ronaldo a central striker

What exactly is the problem with settin up with a central striker?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Totally hit the nail on the head. I don’t get this how argument of Ronaldo being the issue. He is natural born winner and trying to push the rest to become winners, but the rest are simply good enough to be at that level.
In this case I agreed with the rest that Ronaldo's mentality is indeed an issue in this team. Him being in the team makes others uncomfortable. He needs to go ASAP.

TOKUGAWA-X

Ronaldo has destroyed his United legacy, he will be seeing as a mercenary from now on.

When he leaves our club many of us will be happy.

Herman Toothrot

Interested to know on what grounds we would terminate his contract? Ronaldo and his team would need to agree to this, otherwise United will be paying out the remainder of it. £35mil, I believe.

If he is a free agent, then what? Who is going to take him and his £500k a week salary?
He is effectively a free agent now because every club knows they could put in a measly bid for him and have a good chance of United accepting.

Personally, i think the best option for him would be to take a salary cut and go back to Sporting. He could play in the CL, im sure he would score a ton of goals in the Portuguese league and it would be a fitting way to end a great career.

He deserves better than finishing his club career with United, in the state we are in right now.
He deserves nothing. He's an average player quickly getting worse who is on a half a million a month of a contact he signed less than a year ago. Doesn't turn up to work and when he does he undermines the project. He's a piece of shit, I don't care how good he was 5 years ago.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Why don’t Ronaldo and United agree to mutually terminating the contract?
Because despite it all, I suspect he wants his next move lined up and ready to sign. If there really are no suitors then he would probably stay and bank the £500k a week.

Slysi17

In this case I agreed with the rest that Ronaldo's mentality is indeed an issue in this team. Him being in the team makes others uncomfortable. He needs to go ASAP.
Absolutely ridicilous. Rashford and Harry Maguire has been aybmsal. They need to go first. Ronaldo is way down the list.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
He deserves nothing. He's an average player quickly getting worse who is on a half a million a month of a contact he signed less than a year ago. Doesn't turn up to work and when he does he undermines the project. He's a piece of shit, I don't care how good he was 5 years ago.
A week, not a month.

Slysi17

People need to wake up. Cristiano Ronaldo going is not going to magically solve our issues. Cristiano Ronaldo didn't play in matches last season. We still lost and played crap. Ronaldo going is not going to magically turn Rashford into a decent winger or Maguire into a decent centre back or McTominay into a decent midfielder.

Marcelinho87

I was pretty sure of this last season and still think the same that it is one of our British core. Never thought Pogba was a leaker. So it was always one of Maguire/Shaw/Rashford/Lingard/Hendo for me. Lingard and Hendo have gone so take your guess between the other 3.
Lingard could still get his shit from Rashford to be fair

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People need to wake up. Cristiano Ronaldo going is not going to magically solve our issues. Cristiano Ronaldo didn't play in matches last season. We still lost and played crap. Ronaldo going is not going to magically turn Rashford into a decent winger or Maguire into a decent centre back or McTominay into a decent midfielder.
Everyone knows that. But we need many changs and he's just one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.