Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why? Is it implausible that Ten Hag can find many goals from Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, VDB and maybe even Martial? Most of these players are capable of getting 15-22 goals in a season.

Were the strikerless Ajax side of 2017 lacking for goals?
VDB ? Martial ? How exactly can they do that ?

phelans shorts

That clown was responsible for countless mistakes leading to goals last season, he captained the worst season in decades, if you trust him to navigate the club through the turmoil that it's in rather than arguably the greatest of all time then you deserve seasons like we just had.
He’s not the greatest of all time. Could very easily argue that he’s only the third best player with his name, but I digress.

That clowns total inability to use any energy that wasn’t entirely for his own gain had us carrying passengers. We were like PSG for large chunks of last season. That clown arrived on deadline day and caused a mass of turmoil by acting like an utter cock as he has done repeatedly (he sure came out of that Juve documentary on Netflix looking good, huh). That clown is doing everything he can to force his way out of his contract at Manchester United for not the first time, but the second.

If you trust him for anything you get what you deserve.

Eddy_JukeZ

I can't believe the disrespect towards Ronaldo on here... it's what I'd expect from oppposition fans. Do none of you have eyes? He ran his arse off last season, he did all he could to carry the team, he was so important. The issues last season, do not misplace the blame. If we had say Martial in his position I am 100% certain we are much worse off.

I can't beleive some of the takes in here... flagrant "bye then" as though he's as useless as Maguire.
One player doesn't make a team.

He wants to always play. Throws a fit when he's subbed off or not selected.

Didn't want to fit into Rangnick's system and undermined him by all accounts. He clashed with Maguire over something as trivial as captaincy, but displays incredible leadership by bolting off to Portugal when he was dropped for the City game at the Etihad.

We don't need him in the team.

He refuses/is incapable of pressing from the front. His hold-up play is hit and miss. He forces you to funnel all his goal-scoring through him essentially which is a detriment to the team and he no longer scores enough to compensate for it.

His ego no longer matches his ability. The club embarrassed itself by letting Ole stay after the Liverpool drubbing at Old Trafford. We shouldn't do the same by begging him to stay or whatnot.

No player is bigger than the club and if he wants to leave, let him. In fact, we should get rid of him in general. It'll speed up the process for the rebuild.

fps

Thats the thing -- if Ronaldo who I suspect must have known we were out of the CL a couple of weeks ago, had given us a heads-up then we would have been better prepared. And not having to re-shift our transfer target priorities in the middle of a few deals.
My conspiracy theory is the news got leaked now just as the signing of FdJ was meant to be confirmed so fans weren't as worried.

AaronRedDevil

If united get rid of him for anything less than 50m or more. Then they are utter morons. He basically pays for himself on merchandise alone.

Godfather

We will likely have two, maybe 3 signings in a week so its not really like Moyes, is it?
We also bought a pretty much unknown fullback under Moyes in fairness. Varela. And a CM. Fellaini, after Fabregas refused to join... Which he said numerous times during the saga which of course didn't stop us from wasting our whole transfer window chasing him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If united get rid of him for anything less than 50m or more. Then they are utter morons. He basically pays for himself on merchandise alone.
Didnt we only pay Juve 13million? They must have been utter morons then. He would have basically paid for himself on merchandise alone?

Godfather

Why? Is it implausible that Ten Hag can find many goals from Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, VDB and maybe even Martial? Most of these players are capable of getting 15-22 goals in a season.

Were the strikerless Ajax side of 2017 lacking for goals?
The overrating of our current crop from some you... Most of these players are able to get 15-22 goals? When has VdB ever done that? Martial has done it once. Rashford has done it once. Last year he scored a whopping 5 goals.

Apart from the lack of quality up front you seem to ignore the sheer lack of numbers if Ronaldo leaves too. We have 4, at a stretch 5, players for three positions with Martial out for much of the season last year at Sevilla.

We HAVE to get one or better even two forwards in. There's simply no debate here. If we don't it's a huge failure (once again) from this board.

Mainoldo

I dont think thats true at all. Ronaldo displayed some exceptional linkup play from the striker position last season, the problem is we didnt have players with confidence and ability to finish chances other than Voldemort, and he took himself out of the squad. Ronaldo could put them in but they need to finish themselves.
His first touch and hold up play was reminiscent of Lukaku. He also looked gassed out at the end of the season too.

AndySmith1990

How come they couldn't afford him if he pays for himself in merchandise alone?
Don't think they wanted him anymore tbh, or at least didn't see him as good value for money. As far as I could tell Juve and the supporters didn't care one bit about him leaving

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
VDB ? Martial ? How exactly can they do that ?
Martial is capable of 20+ goals a season. Whether he will or not depends on him but in a well coached system we have a lot of goalscorers, even without Ronaldo.

Also if Ronaldo were to leave we will get a forward on top of those names.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Honestly no idea but the bits I've seen of him he's looked decent. Still only 23 too so plenty of years ahead.
He's good, has a good leap on him. Technically not as tight as you'd want him but he's a very good player who has had some unfortunate injuries.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The overrating of our current crop from some you... Most of these players are able to get 15-22 goals? When has VdB ever done that? Martial has done it once. Rashford has done it once. Last year he scored a whopping 5 goals.

Apart from the lack of quality up front you seem to ignore the sheer lack of numbers if Ronaldo leaves too. We have 4, at a stretch 5, players for three positions with Martial out for much of the season last year at Sevilla.

We HAVE to get one or better even two forwards in. There's simply no debate here. If we don't it's a huge failure (once again) from this board.
Its not overrating. It actually happened over the course of the season.

They are quite obviously capable of scoring a lot of goals, there's no overrating there.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
50 million for a 38 year old Ronaldo ? what planet are people on. We'll get 10 million max and 500k off our weekly wage bill.

ForeverRed1

If he didn't want to be here he would have said it after last season ended.
Can't everyone see that our owners/club let him and all of us down?!

Where are the incoming transfers - close, interested, motivated ?!!

This boils down to :

Ambition
Standards

and he can see that our club has lost these a long time ago.
I reckon if we were in champions league there wouldn’t be this issue. Of course non of us are in his head so we don’t really know..yes the club has been a shambles for a while but they are making changes as we speak. They can’t do anymore than that unless the glazers sell. Which ain’t happening.

RORY65

Don't think they wanted him anymore tbh, or at least didn't see him as good value for money. As far as I could tell Juve and the supporters didn't care one bit about him leaving
I get that, I honestly think we should just move on and give Ten Hag a clean slate. Next year isn't going to be great anyway so it might as well be used to start building something and even for Ronaldo, who honestly I couldn't give a shit about, he hasn't got time to be part of something building and his timeline is much shorter than ours.

I was just reacting to a poster who claimed we'd be stupid to sell for less £50m because of what he brings in commercially yet then also claimed Juventus sold him for £13m because they didn't have the money to keep him. How does that make sense?

kouroux

Martial is capable of 20+ goals a season. Whether he will or not depends on him but in a well coached system we have a lot of goalscorers, even without Ronaldo.

Also if Ronaldo were to leave we will get a forward on top of those names.
Please, he's only done it once in his entire career, barely above 20 for all competition and that Martial was a lot better than this one.
There is only so much a "well coached system" can do for a player

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Please, he's only done it once in his entire career, barely above 20 for all competition and that Martial was a lot better than this one.
There is only so much a "well coached system" can do for a player
fecksake I hate micro analysing posts.
I said "even martial" after a list of very capable goal scorers. Even if Martial hits 14 goals its a big contribution.

We expended on ronaldo for goals because we had no system whatsoever. Under ETH the goals will be spread across very capable players.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I get that, I honestly think we should just move on and give Ten Hag a clean slate. Next year isn't going to be great anyway so it might as well be used to start building something and even for Ronaldo, who honestly I couldn't give a shit about, he hasn't got time to be part of something building and his timeline is much shorter than ours.

I was just reacting to a poster who claimed we'd be stupid to sell for less £50m because of what he brings in commercially yet then also claimed Juventus sold him for £13m because they didn't have the money to keep him. How does that make sense?
I remember the RAWKs used to claim they have the most knowledgeable fan base in the world. I used to snicker.... but nowadays I am not so sure its ain't true.

kouroux

fecksake I hate micro analysing posts.
I said "even martial" after a list of very capable goal scorers. Even if Martial hits 14 goals its a big contribution.

We expended on ronaldo for goals because we had no system whatsoever. Under ETH the goals will be spread across very capable players.
Me too, I don't like it when someone doesn't agree with me. I don't call it microanalysis though.
How about VDB ? When has he showed recently to be capable of being a good scoring contributor from midfield ? Or is that a microanalysis again ?

Godfather

Its not overrating. It actually happened over the course of the season.

They are quite obviously capable of scoring a lot of goals, there's no overrating there.
I disagree. Non of these guys apart from maybe Bruno (from a deeper position) are able to consistently provide good numbers, which has been proven over the course of their carreers. Jury is still out on Sancho of course. But we need reinforcement up front.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Me too, I don't like it when someone doesn't agree with me. I don't call it microanalysis though.
How about VDB ? When has he showed recently to be capable of being a good scoring contributor from midfield ? Or is that a microanalysis again ?
What annoys me more than micro analysing is a failure to read posts properly.

Go back, read the OP.

Idxomer

I can't believe the disrespect towards Ronaldo on here... it's what I'd expect from oppposition fans. Do none of you have eyes? He ran his arse off last season, he did all he could to carry the team, he was so important. The issues last season, do not misplace the blame. If we had say Martial in his position I am 100% certain we are much worse off.

I can't beleive some of the takes in here... flagrant "bye then" as though he's as useless as Maguire.
No, he didn't.

It's a shame there are no stats for running because I'm quite sure it would be one of the worst in the top 5 leagues just like his pressing numbers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I disagree. Non of these guys apart from maybe Bruno (from a deeper position) are able to consistently provide good numbers, which has been proven over the course of their carreers. Jury is still out on Sancho of course. But we need reinforcement up front.
I think Ten Hag can get a lot out of Rashford and Sancho specifically. And Bruno is more than capable of big numbers. This is before we entertain the idea of Eriksen potentially choosing us or VdB operating for ETH where he did for Ajax.

And of course another forward on top.

We wont miss Ronaldos goals if he leaves, and thats because I back ten hag to maximise the potential. But we also cant strengthen a rival.

kouroux

This is a fair assessment of our attacking options at the moment. It would be highly risky to rely on players who haven't been scoring consistenly in their careers except for Bruno.

The Red Thinker

If Ronnie wants to go. Let him go. Someone would have to pay £20m+ and we’d get 2 elite players worth of salary off the books.

Ten Hag wants 10 toes down with all involved. My worry is how Bruno is going to react to all this. He gave a statement recently saying how a club our size is not interested in selling Ronaldo. Granted this was on player request, but hard to imagine that he wouldn’t be affected seeing his hero want out of the project which he is meant to be a key part of.

I’ve had enough of players stropping around the pitch without the fire to want to succeed at United.

The other glaring problem when Ronnie leaves is the acute lack of strikers we have. The kids like Garnacho and Hugill are too raw and we now need to sort out that position on the fly.I imagine we didn’t bet the house on Nunez because we believed Ronnie would stay.

It’s all very fecked. We have to be humble and let him go if he wants to go. Accept that this year will be another painful one with a team in transition and identify who the key players in our squad will be for the rebuild.

kouroux

I find it funny you thought I said VDB was scoring goals last season. Or that Martial was the central theme.
"Most of these players", just to actually have Bruno as a consistent and proven scoring source makes no sense as far as I'm concerned. There are question marks on most of them

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"Most of these players", just to actually have Bruno as a consistent and proven scoring source makes no sense as far as I'm concerned. There are question marks on most of them
Most of those players are capable of scoring 15-22 goals a season.

Say Rashford scores 15, Martial scores 15, Bruno scores 20, and you have sancho and a forward signing on top.

Are we struggling for goals?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ronaldo obviously doesn't suit a pressing style, not debating that.

My point of contention was with you saying you had seen no reports of Rashfords lack of pressing. Rashfords laziness was clear for all to see.

Now if you' re point is that Rashford is a better candidate for a pressing game than Ronaldo is then I'd agree. That only reinforces that he was a lazy sod last year though.
I'm disgusted with Rashford, he let us down when we needed him most. Ronaldo worked harder than him, no question. Ability and effort are different things.
What I said was I hadn't seen any reports of Rashford flat out refusing to carry out team instructions (not verbatim). And this isn't a thread about Rashford.

For me the quicker Ronaldo is shipped off the quicker we can transition into a more effective team. He's not setting any standards but lowering them by his refusal to carry out the most basic of tasks.

kouroux

Most of those players are capable of scoring 15-22 goals a season.

Say Rashford scores 15, Martial scores 15, Bruno scores 20, and you have sancho and a forward signing on top.

Are we struggling for goals?
It would depend on the rest tbh, 15/15 for Rashford and Martial would be too low for me and in Martial's case, very optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.