Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
But.. we can just keep him right? It was his decision to come here. And we only have Martial and Rashford as other options right now. I get that a lot of people are done with Ronaldo right now, but I'd much prefer he stayed so we don't have to play Tony up front.

Ideal scenario would be Gnabry though if we lose Ronaldo. Even better would be some form of a trade.

IRN-BRUno

This was obviously going to happen so it's disappointing that it's taken Ronaldo until now to say this rather than at the end of last season.

Pointless trying to keep hold of him, just let him go and avoid all the distractions it'll bring if he stays. His main concern for the first few months will be keeping himself in peak condition for the World Cup, it'll be even worse if he's sulking more than usual.

Idxomer

How come Real and Ancellotti reunite not being talked about?
They have a much better striker in Benzema and in his old position a much better left forward in Vinicius. That's without taking into consideration the way he announced he's going to leave right after winning the CL in 2018 which didn't sit well with them.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d be surprised if they’d have him back. He wants to leave but I can’t see anyone who actually competes for the top honours being interested.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It would depend on the rest tbh, 15/15 for Rashford and Martial would be too low for me and in Martial's case, very optimistic
It may well be. But if he goes he will be replaced too. If Ronaldo goes we will obviously get a forward.

So its a forward plus sancho /Rashford /Bruno /Vdb / maybe Martial / maybe eriksen.

Under a manager who is very creative in his system and arguably who's best side operated a false 9.

We wont miss him as lots of players are threatening in front of goal. My concern is strengthening a rival.

CR7_United

Our transfer summer has consisted of us chasing a player who doesn't want to leave, a backup CB, a backup LB and signing a free transfer.

Jeez and we wonder why Ronaldo is not impressed and wants to leave. Better yet some people blame him for wanting to leave.:lol:

Keefy18

Why? Is it implausible that Ten Hag can find many goals from Bruno, Rashford, Sancho, VDB and maybe even Martial? Most of these players are capable of getting 15-22 goals in a season.

Were the strikerless Ajax side of 2017 lacking for goals?
Of course it is possible, I do edge on the side of unlikely though.

Bruno is most likely to be our top scorer thanks to penalty duty with Ronaldo likely going.

Rashford has hit 20+ only twice in 8 seasons now and we are dealing with a unfocused injury prone Rashford at that.

Martial is in the midst of a 3 year monster sulk. He's only scored 20+ once and managed more than 15 goals one other time (15-16, debut season).

Donny could bounce back sure, I hope he does...

Sancho I think could flourish but if Antony is coming in for the RW spot does that mean he is demoted or sharing the LW spot with Rashford?

A friend of mine suggested Sancho would be the better option for a false 9 (over Bruno), presses better and used to it from his time at Dortmund, can carry the ball better with dribbles past players and his range of passing is better also.

Honestly that's about as optimistic as I can be right now for us.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Officially they have enough players in his position. Unofficially, he is no longer good enough for them.
Not sure if Benzema would want to go back to playing second fiddle to Ronaldo. He has become the main man and Vinicius Junior has come on leaps and bounds.

G-manc

I wouldn't be that bothered for the same reasons others have stated but i do feel he could have made his feelings known earlier.

He still had some good games last season but he also had some shockers. He won't be capable of playing a press like ETH is likely to demand, sulks if he's subbed/not picked and his ego outweighs his ability nowadays.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think Ten Hag can get a lot out of Rashford and Sancho specifically. And Bruno is more than capable of big numbers. This is before we entertain the idea of Eriksen potentially choosing us or VdB operating for ETH where he did for Ajax.

And of course another forward on top.

We wont miss Ronaldos goals if he leaves, and thats because I back ten hag to maximise the potential. But we also cant strengthen a rival.
Send him to Chelsea -- I bet you Tuchel gets the sack before the end of the season. Thats eliminating one of our rivals.

PoTMS

Now the hysteria has died down, I think most reasonable people will agree that him leaving isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as we replace him with another striker. Ronaldo will do what Ronaldo does best which is look out for number one.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we have a forward who will press from the front then we'll make it difficult for the opponent to build play and it would allow us to play higher up the pitch in a compact high block. Which means the midfield and fullbacks would even become a bigger goal scoring threat.

croadyman

Now the hysteria has died down, I think most reasonable people will agree that him leaving isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as we replace him with another striker. Ronaldo will do what Ronaldo does best which is look out for number one.
Who is that striker though

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it will be harder to find a buyer for Ronaldo than to find a replacement.
Napoli and Roma seems to be the best he can attract right now, which is why he and Mendes have gone loud on this. Get it out there that the guy wants out so everyone can get involved.

croadyman

If we have a forward who will press from the front then we'll make it difficult for the opponent to build play and it would allow us to play higher up the pitch in a compact high block. Which means the midfield and fullbacks would even become a bigger goal scoring threat.
That's a very good point and suggests maybe we are going down the fluid front 3 route again

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It may well be. But if he goes he will be replaced too. If Ronaldo goes we will obviously get a forward.

So its a forward plus sancho /Rashford /Bruno /Vdb / maybe Martial / maybe eriksen.

Under a manager who is very creative in his system and arguably who's best side operated a false 9.

We wont miss him as lots of players are threatening in front of goal. My concern is strengthening a rival.
I really hope you're right tbh. I would love to be quoted and laughed at down the line when our attackers are firing on all cylinders.

Zen86

I’m guessing the new regime isn’t to his liking. I still believe he had a negative impact on the drawing room and, despite some good moments and performances, was pretty average for most of the season. Letting him move on is a good outcome for all.

fps

Ronaldo's last year at Madrid was a bit like Redgrave's 5th Olympic gold, when he'd gone from the best guy in the boat to the worst. Ronaldo wasn't the worst, of course, but if you saw him in the biggest matches it was apparent that he was striving against the limits of ageing and miles on the clock that season. There is no shame in a physical decline despite a perfect training regime and perfect dedication. But he is not at the level Madrid need any more.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I reckon if we were in champions league there wouldn’t be this issue. Of course non of us are in his head so we don’t really know..yes the club has been a shambles for a while but they are making changes as we speak. They can’t do anymore than that unless the glazers sell. Which ain’t happening.
True, but i remember that Juve were in the CL and he left too.

Dante

Average bang
I would happily sell him to Chelsea. At the moment, they're the closest rivals to City and Liverpool. If we can help Tuchel be a title challenger for a season or two whilst EtH is still finding his feet, that can only be a good thing.

I'm not sure I can see him at Bayern. But stranger things have happened.

Morpheus 7

I would happily sell him to Chelsea. At the moment, they're the closest rivals to City and Liverpool. If we can help Tuchel be a title challenger for a season or two whilst EtH is still finding his feet, that can only be a good thing.

Glad you aren't in charge then, makes absolutely no sense. Ludicrous point.

Godfather

I really hope you're right tbh. I would love to be quoted and laughed at down the line when our attackers are firing on all cylinders.
Same. But after last season and the way our forwards (apart from Ronaldo and at times Sancho) played football it's hard to imagine they will come out after the break firing from all cylinders this season.

Plus we will still have the problem, that Martial heavily struggled to stay fit at Sevilla last season, which would leave us with Rashford, Sancho and Elanga for the front three positions (if we don't want to change Bruno's position into a false 9, which I doubt). That's not enough in my opinion.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

He would weaken Chelsea massively and help us catch/potentially overtake them.

Sviken

I don't think Bayern want him. They don't like prima donnas there and they have a well run wage structure. Chelsea seem the only viable option.

Spoony

The People's President
I’m guessing the new regime isn’t to his liking. I still believe he had a negative impact on the drawing room and, despite some good moments and performances, was pretty average for most of the season. Letting him move on is a good outcome for all.
His presence is a great way to attract potential sponsors but from every other perspective we're probably better off with out him. It's a shame because there's no doubt he creates a buzz around the place, although his impact possibly has the opposite effect on the squad.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Same. But after last season and the way our forwards (apart from Ronaldo and at times Sancho) played football it's hard to imagine they will come out after the break firing from all cylinders this season.

Plus we will still have to problem, that Martial heavily struggled to stay fit at Sevilla last season, which would leave us with Rashford, Sancho and Elanga for the front three positions (if we don't want to change Bruno's position into a false 9, which I doubt). That's not enough in my opinion.
The hope is that ETH and his staff work some miracle

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Leave him go. Disrespectful to the new manager. Ronaldo’s ambitions may not align to EtH’s roadmap. No player is bigger than to club so he can do one.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Cristiano Ronaldo 'request' proves Liverpool right as Jürgen Klopp transfer warning comes true

As Liverpool pushed to work their way into the Champions League spots under Jürgen Klopp, he sent a clear warning to the likes of Mario Götze, who was being chased by the Reds at the time.

"Obviously, it’s not 100 per cent, but maybe 80 per cent we are not in the Champions League next year," Klopp said in 2016. "So if I would speak to a player now and he would tell me: ‘if you were playing in the Champions League next year I would be really interested, I would put the phone down from my side. I am not interested.

"I always tell players if when you are 35 or 36 and look back on your career and you think about the one year when you didn’t play Champions League then you are really a poor boy.

"There are so many things you can do and reach if you go together with the team. You can qualify for the Champions League, play Champions League, maybe win it or whatever. It is a much more satisfying thing than all the rest. That is what I would say. It is pushing the train, not jumping on the running train. That is what we need here."

Götze, of course, never ended up at Liverpool. But Mohamed Salah and others did, and their stock rose with Liverpool's, elevating themselves into a team that regularly qualifies — and gets to the final of — Europe's top competition.

Last edited:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
He would weaken Chelsea massively and help us catch/potentially overtake them.
Not sure about that. Unlike you guys we actually have a great midfield and excellent attacking fullbacks. Think he’d look pretty good in our side against certain opponents.

That being said, I wouldn’t want him here. Really, the only landing spot that makes sense for him is Bayern but they don’t appear to fancy him.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"There are so many things you can do and reach if you go together with the team. You can qualify for the Champions League, play Champions League, maybe win it or whatever. It is a much more satisfying thing than all the rest. That is what I would say. It is pushing the train, not jumping on the running train. That is what we need here."
That is it summed up.

Although we need to build the train first.

Status
Not open for further replies.