Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

Honestly, Ronaldo has handled this really poorly and it pisses me off that this is a distraction at the start of the new manager’s first season.

However, one thing after reading through this thread is clear. There is personal hatred for Ronaldo on this forum. Most from new fans is my guess who didn’t support the club when he was unreal for us. Some of the comments just reflect so much hatred towards the player its absurd. Rooney didn’t get a quarter of the reaction he is getting and he was ready to go to City at a time when we were actually really good. I guess we have far too many messi fanboys on here which is weird to see in a United fanbase.
Rooney gave his best years to United and yet there is a thread on this very forum that's asks about his legend status. There shouldn't even be a question as he is our all time top scorer. Ronaldo left and gave his prime years to Madrid and was loved more up until a few weeks back with his apparent decision to leave.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
send him to ajax as part of a deal for Antony. He gets his CL football. We get our player. everyones a winner
1. Ajax can't afford his wages
2. Ajax wouldn't see any sense in it
3. Ronaldo in the Eredivisie? :lol:
4. Should go to PSG and try win the farmer's league while he is at it
5. I know, the Bundesliga, but Bayern aren't idiots either

We are all in a bit of a pickle here just because we didn't want him to go to City. Funny thing is, it was precisely when that got rumoured that Pep made it public he was getting bored and it was probably his last season. I.e. "you feckers get me stuck with vanity signing Ronaldo to make a statement and I'm out". Then he came to us and not another word was spoken. The one thing that demonstrated Ole was not right for us was how he let all he was doing go out of the window overnight.

Zen86

Some of these aggressive abusive type posts are really weird.
What’s weird about it? We have a player who clearly wants to leave and I’m pretty sure we’re not standing in his way. And yet he’s still here, not doing what he’s being paid to do.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Because it would be a clash of personalities. Ronaldo would want to be top dog in every way.
Do Atlético teams have "top dogs" or are they determined, hardworking and resilient units? No I in team and all that.

It's such an obvious misfit I'm surprised anyone takes it seriously.

KeanoMagicHat

Because it would be a clash of personalities. Ronaldo would want to be top dog in every way.
Simeone is also paid more than Ronaldo and if Ronaldo took a pay cut he would be paid significantly more. Don't think Ronaldo has ever been paid less than the manager of a club before, going back to maybe the early days of United and Ferguson.

Rolaholic

Going off those Sainz quotes, do Mendes and co simply want some sort of buyout?

It's become clear no one wants to pay anything for him on top of his wages so I've got no clue where they think they have the leverage to make any demands...

George The Best

It's become clear no one wants to pay anything for him on top of his wages so I've got no clue where they think they have the leverage to make any demands...
Very unlike Mendes to not have something up his sleeve.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What does that last bit mean? What do they class as Atletico values?
Kathryn Mayorga

But also, yeah, him playing 9 years for real madrid definitely matters to them. Just in this case they can use a bigger, more serious reason to justify it

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I just don't understand the obsession that Players such a Ronaldo have about salary.
Especially in the case of Ronaldo who has an estimated current worth of half a Billion dollars, what does it matter if one club offers you an additional £100k per week, its peanuts to him.

If he really is so desperate to play CL football, then go to Sporting Lisbon.
He could play into his 40's in the Portugese league, picking up a few trophies, and adding more to his CL legacy.

So what if they can't afford £500k per week, you don't need the money, just do what makes you happy, play for free, it's not going to cause you any financial hardship..!!

Red_toad

So he buys out his contract and sits and waits for a call from a 'club' who can offer his huge wages and champions league football and a big signing on fee to cover him buying out his contract. If that was going to happen we'd probably have already received a bid from mystery club to just pay United the buy out clause.
Wonder of any of the Portuguese clubs can afford to carry his wage? That's the only option I can see for him right now.

buckooo1978

hard to think of a worse match than Atletico and Ronaldo

Atletico are hard working, team focused, great without the ball, fight for everything and in the image of their tough manager

hard to imagine a stroppy selfish Ronaldo surviving there

Just a shame Ronaldo wasnt attracted by the Middle East offer.

Still think Chelsea might make a late bit if they shift their wantaway players like Werner/Ziyach

Dont think he's a Tuchel player per se but Tuchel seems a bit desperate for additions.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I just don't understand the obsession that Players such a Ronaldo have about salary.
Especially in the case of Ronaldo who has an estimated current worth of half a Billion dollars, what does it matter if one club offers you an additional £100k per week, its peanuts to him.

He could play into his 40's in the Portugese league, picking up a few trophies, and adding more to his CL legacy.

So what if they can't afford £500k per week, you don't need the money, just do what makes you happy, play for free, it's not going to cause you any financial hardship..!!
I think Ronaldo still sees himself as the best in the world and should be in a team that is challenging to win the CL.

Loony BoB

If he sees himself as the best in the world, all he needs to do is find a buyer and I'm sure we'll sell. But we're not going to pay him money to NOT play for us.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I'm not a United "Fan" but I'm not a United "Hater" either and from my perspective there is more "Unconditional Love" evident in this thread that "Personal Hatred".

From the beginning of the saga there has been excuses made left, right and center for his behaviour

"He's not leaving, it's just a ploy to put pressure on the owners to make new signings that match his ambition. If you can't see that you are an idiot",

"He's not leaving, its just the media sowing the seeds of disharmony within the United fan base. If you can't see that you are an idiot"

"Even if he did want to leave , can you really blame him? We aren't up to his standard and he deserves to play in the Champions League and improve his goal tally. If you can't see that you are an idiot"

Sure there are people who are frustrated and lashing out emotionally but it's far less coordinated than the constant defense of every little piece of criticism directed his way.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not as weird as the grown men who virtually group hug and tug each other off whilst shouting SUIIIII every time he scores
Do you celebrate when we score?
It you're going to be funny about it you could say that a grown man screaming "yes" just because some bloke he'll never met who turns out for a team he probably picked up on in the glory days / lives 100s of miles from, has kicked a ball into a net, is pretty damn odd in itself.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'm not a United "Fan" but I'm not a United "Hater" either and from my perspective there is more "Unconditional Love" evident in this thread that "Personal Hatred".

From the beginning of the saga there has been excuses made left, right and center for his behaviour

"He's not leaving, it's just a ploy to put pressure on the owners to make new signings that match his ambition. If you can't see that you are an idiot",

"He's not leaving, its just the media sowing the seeds of disharmony within the United fan base. If you can't see that you are an idiot"

"Even if he did want to leave , can you really blame him? We aren't up to his standard and he deserves to play in the Champions League and improve his goal tally. If you can't see that you are an idiot"

Sure there are people who are frustrated and lashing out emotionally but it's far less coordinated than the constant defense of every little piece of criticism directed his way.
You seem a bit obsessed with this, it's very odd.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You seem a bit obsessed with this, it's very odd.
I've posted 30 times in this thread in the past month.

I do find the conversation around Ronaldo (the cult of personality I guess) to be interesting but I'm not obsessed with it. (Just not a big fan of conspiracy theory I guess :confused:)

A poster felt there was a lot of personal hatred for Ronaldo on this thread, I didnt (vs the defence of his actions) so expressed my feelings, there isn't much more in it than that.

Last edited:

Erik the Red

Rooney gave his best years to United and yet there is a thread on this very forum that's asks about his legend status. There shouldn't even be a question as he is our all time top scorer. Ronaldo left and gave his prime years to Madrid and was loved more up until a few weeks back with his apparent decision to leave.
IMHO Ronaldo was the more talented player, but due to his nationality, he had less ties to England, and wanted to go to Madrid. Rooney is English born and bread, and grew up knowing that we are the biggest, best club around, so he had less incentive to leave. Ronaldo trained exceptionally hard, and that is why he is still performing at a high level at the age of 37. Rooney didn't look after his body as well, and is nowhere near the standard required. Last year, a large number of fans, even those who believe that Ronaldo is , would not have signed him because a 37 year old is not forward planning, but we did so to avoid him signing for city. Also, we were not a well run club, with Ed Woodward prioritising money over football rationale.

Ten Hag now has a dilemma - he doesn't have the budget, or perhaps even the right target available, to replace Ronaldo in this transfer window, but do you keep a player against his will? As I said before, we should do a 3-way switch, ship Ronaldo off to the one club that care more about shirt sales than us (PSG), let Messi go back home to broke Barca, and we get de Jong, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Reactions: Sultan

Artimities

Has Ronaldo ever won the Europa league? Just saying, if you like to collect trophies… then why not come back and help us win it… then opt in for that 3rd season and CL football.

DutchCruijff

Very unlike Mendes to not have something up his sleeve.
He tried to shift Ronaldo in summer of 2020 and no one came for him.

He tried to shift Ronaldo in summer of 2021 and only United went for him out of desperation.

He's tried to shift Ronaldo this summer and, again, no one has gone in for him.

Mendes isn't perfect.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Really, really, hope he leaves.
Thats a good quote in juxtaposition to your tagline :lol:

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

I'm assuming it's from around when Rooney wanted to go to City?

What makes you feel differently now?

MrEleson

He tried to shift Ronaldo in summer of 2020 and no one came for him.

He tried to shift Ronaldo in summer of 2021 and only United went for him out of desperation.

He's tried to shift Ronaldo this summer and, again, no one has gone in for him.

Mendes isn't perfect.
No proof he tried to shift him in 2020.
Also, by most accounts City were in for him last year.

DutchCruijff

No proof he tried to shift him in 2020.
Also, by most accounts City were in for him last year.
I remember distinctly an article, from a reliable journalist, came out last summer that Mendes was looking to move him on in the summer of 20.

And I have doubts on City. They dragged their feet heavily.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
And I have doubts on City. They dragged their feet heavily.
At the time I felt that the City deal made more sense than the United one.

I could see the benefit to City (tip of the spear and crunch goals) and less of the negatives ( They are at the very highest level and he wouldn't be the big dog there, Pep is irreproachable) than the United move.

I never looked at United in the 20/21 season and thought, you know what you need? Goals!

Its a sliding doors moment because (while I agree with you that they dragged their feet) I do believe City had interest in bringing him in but how would that have affected the Haaland deal etc

Mcsirl

Rumours in Portugal that his kids are now registered in schools in Lisbon, no idea if legit or not though, so maybe he is actually looking to go back to Sporting ?

KeanoMagicHat

Salary is always about ego, if you’re the best player in the world you think you should be paid the most. If Ronaldo in his head thinks he’s better than Neymar being paid £500k a week and he’s paid £100k, he can’t stomach the thought that he’s only paid a fifth of Neymar’s salary etc.

MrEleson

At the time I felt that the City deal made more sense than the United one.

I could see the benefit to City (tip of the spear and crunch goals) and less of the negatives ( They are at the very highest level and he wouldn't be the big dog there, Pep is irreproachable) than the United move.

I never looked at United in the 20/21 season and thought, you know what you need? Goals!

Its a sliding doors moment because (while I agree with you that they dragged their feet) I do believe City had interest in bringing him in but how would that have affected the Haaland deal etc
City were interested in bringing him as a short term solution so it wouldn’t have necessarily affected the halaand pursuit much.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Salary is always about ego, if you’re the best player in the world you think you should be paid the most. If Ronaldo in his head thinks he’s better than Neymar being paid £500k a week and he’s paid £100k, he can’t stomach the thought that he’s only paid a fifth of Neymar’s salary etc.
But then, imagine the ego trip, of being a superstar and playing for FREE.
Hero worship would go through the stratosphere... :lol:

MrEleson

Rumours in Portugal that his kids are now registered in schools in Lisbon, no idea if legit or not though, so maybe he is actually looking to go back to Sporting ?
Not necessarily.

His next club will probably be his last club wherever it is and it’ll probably just be for 2 years at most before he calls it quits and goes back to Portugal. Say in a hypothetical scenario, he moves to Munich and only spends 1 or 2 years there then heads back to his homeland, there wouldn’t be much point moving his family twice would there?

My thinking is that he wants one last shot with a top European club for a couple of years and then his intention is to finish his career playing for sporting (his mother’s wish) where his family will already be settled.

El Zoido

I wouldn’t even care if we sent him on loan to a CL team and paid his salary. We’ll be better off if he’s away from the club, even if it costs us.

Azhar88

I think there are UEFA rules that prevent this from happening. I remember when Messi was in tears at having to leave Barcelona I thought - ok, if you love them so much, yet they are in a financial mess, play for free, but somebody told me its just not permitted. Not sure why though.

I wish we'd let this rat rot in the reserves.
Oh that is never going to happen. It would reflect badly on the board (well one particular member of the board) and that just wouldn't do, it wouldn't do at all.....

Skills

Snitch
Surely on a 1 year deal he'd be a good signing for a club like Dortmund or Napoli. Clubs who aren't going to win much, but having an iconic player for a season adds a bit more spice to a boring season for them?

worldinmotion66

I think there might have been genuine interest from PSG if they could have offloaded Neymar, just because I think they'd like to make history and have Ronaldo and Messi in the same team.

Popovic

Football wise, it's a bad match for Ronaldo to go to Atleti. If Mendes is positioning that move for him, its only for 3 reasons. He remains on high wages, he plays CL football and he lives in Madrid again. I really don't think Ronaldo cares about his "Real Madrid legacy", Ronaldo is all that matters to Ronaldo. If that means scoring another 5 goals in the CL to distance himself from Messi, then he will try his hardest to make that happen. If he stays at United, he will continue to be a professional as he has been throughout his career.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

I'd honestly think it is less about salary for him - he wants CL football but also a club with a realistic chance of competing/winning it. Hence the links to clubs like Bayern, Chelsea, PSG and to a lesser extent, Atletico.

Status
Not open for further replies.