Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
This is like when celebrities refuse to age gracefully/act their age. Or TV shows that go on for far too long.

I don't even get the CL obsession. It's meaningless unless he's at at club that can properly compete. If he goes to Napoli or Sporting, he'll get 6 games and could end up facing us in the Europa League.
Nicholas Cage

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If he leaves and there is no replacement, i think we will massively regret it. I don't trust going into the season with only Martial and Rashford - there is no way we get top 4 with either of these lightweights leading the line.

You can have all the team spirit in the world, but if you cant score goals, it wont last long.

Crazy how people are writing him off. He was our player of the season last year.

If he doesn't leave, i predict he will be our top goal scorer again.
I'd rather play Elanga, Garnacho, Pellistri, Amad, etc and fail to make top 4 than somehow fluke it playing Ronaldo into the ground.

Chances are we would play Ronaldo, play like shit, fix nothing and end up empty handed anyway, just like in this player of the season season you refer to.

We have to stop trying to short-term fix a long-term problem.

Zero beef with him and all these shenanigans. That's Ronaldo for you, always was, even back when he was absolutely phenomenal for us and definitely worth it.

Amsterdam Devil

Just let him leave for free, no use for him at United anymore, we need to get rid of him to stop the Ronaldo circus and focus on the changes Ten Hag wants to make and needs to make.

gaffs

I'd rather play Elanga, Garnacho, Pellistri, Amad, etc and fail to make top 4 than somehow fluke it playing Ronaldo into the ground.

Chances are we would play Ronaldo, play like shit, fix nothing and end up empty handed anyway, just like in this player of the season season you refer to.

We have to stop trying to short-term fix a long-term problem.

Zero beef with him and all these shenanigans. That's Ronaldo for you, always was, even back when he was absolutely phenomenal for us and definitely worth it.
I would love to see the kids get a chance, but non of those you mention play as a striker.

Last year, we were crap from front to back. Cant pin that on Ronaldo.

I agree, Ronaldo is not a long term solution, I would get rid of him, but it doesnt look like anyone wants to take him. So we are kind of backed into a corner because we have not sought a replacement. The fact that we have not signed a striker this window is criminal.

I think the choice is quite binary. Do you start the season with Rashford/Martial upfront and trust them to play the year. Or do you use Ronaldo?

I dont rate Martial or Rashford at all. If Ten Hag goes with them, the goals will dry up. You just know Ronaldo will have some games when he comes off the bench and saves us. When that happens, it will hard to keep him out of the starting line up.

antohan

I would love to see the kids get a chance, but non of those you mention play as a striker.

Last year, we were crap from front to back. Cant pin that on Ronaldo.

I agree, Ronaldo is not a long term solution, I would get rid of him, but it doesnt look like anyone wants to take him. So we are kind of backed into a corner because we have not sought a replacement. The fact that we have not signed a striker this window is criminal.

I think the choice is quite binary. Do you start the season with Rashford/Martial upfront and trust them to play the year. Or do you use Ronaldo?

I dont rate Martial or Rashford at all. If Ten Hag goes with them, the goals will dry up. You just know Ronaldo will have some games when he comes off the bench and saves us. When that happens, it will hard to keep him out of the starting line up.
Those kids will only get a chance if Rashford/Martial/Bruno? alternate as false strikers. Pun intended.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Bit damning for anyone still on the fence
I actually found it quite funny. It's as if they think people don't have eyes.

I guess there are some teenaged FIFA legends who will swallow this s-t. However, it's remarkable (and amusing) Mendes thinks adults would be spun so easily. :lol:

Laughable attempt to make CR7 the hero of his self made tragedy.

croadyman

Agree. But with a week to go in the window, it's not going to happen.

Should have been looking for strikers months ago.
Problem is he didn't make it clear about wanting to leave early enough in this window

croatiaman

Supports
Real Madrid, Milan
“Everywhere where there is champions league football”

Has he tried Maccabi Haifa, FC København, Dinamo Zagreb & Shakhtar Donetsk?
Dinamo Zagreb established more players than MAN UTD in past 10 years and si very often in Champions leauge. Of course it’s not the same level as my second club MAN UTD but United can look at them and find some solutions how to find proper talents and make competitive team

Scholsey2004

I thought the ball deflected off their defender but it was a really strange through-ball to Rashford. I’m also convinced Bruno tries too hard to provide chances for Ronnie to the detriment of his own game.
Ive noticed this as well. Bruno's form went out the window when Ronaldo arrived because of his deference to Ronaldo. Its particularly frustrating since Bruno is a far better player when he's on form than Ronaldo is.

humdinger

It’s ridiculous he’s portraying us as the bad guy here. We’d obviously let him go if a suitable offer came in. So if no such suitable offers are arriving shouldn’t he question himself rather than us?

couldn’t stand him last time around when he wanted out for Madrid, and even less so now. Just get rid and reinvest.

lolok

Ronaldo can take a pay cut to help expedite an exit. If I really wanted out that badly, I would take a pay cut if it meant I got to go to a club that I wanted to play for. I think some teams who aren't interested in him-- would be-- if he was on reasonable wages.

C'est Moi Cantona

ETH is not going to just play him, and he's made it clear we're beneath him and that he wants CL football, yet if he stays he'll be left in the main sat on the bench at a club that was not good enough to get into the CL. it's not good for anyone, and it'll be painful to watch him been put through that, so I hope we find a way for him to go now.

Alemar

If Ronaldo wants to play CL so badly, why doesn’t he buy out his contract and offers some teams to play for free?

Wage is not even the main source of his income - he makes significantly more from advertising and business activities anyway

MiceOnMeth

If Ronaldo wants to play CL so badly, why doesn’t he buy out his contract and offers some teams to play for free?

Wage is not even the main source of his income - he makes significantly more from advertising and business activities anyway
Ego and greed.

antohan

United playing with a false 9. We are not City under Pep.

Look at us today. We play more like a long ball team.
Other than in "Bruno?" (w/?) I didn't imply that. I called them false strikers, not false 9s.

antohan

In fairness, if you have to play for free to be taken by a CL club it's likely they don't value you enough to play you in the CL games anyway.

There's of course the other side of the Frenkie saga: if he stays he gets all his wages, so it's likely Mendes is trying to get us to chip in.

Having to pay Barca's debts to get de Jong to join and having to pay Ronaldo's wages so he pisses off to play in Naples. The state of this club.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ive noticed this as well. Bruno's form went out the window when Ronaldo arrived because of his deference to Ronaldo. Its particularly frustrating since Bruno is a far better player when he's on form than Ronaldo is.
You can say this about the whole team.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ronaldo’s decline is insane. And it’s all due to his ego. He should play in Japan or China
What decline is that ? The guy scored a lot of goals last year in less games than he usually plays in a year. The lack of effectiveness this year is down to reduced training and no preseason. Some of that has to do with him staying home instead of traveling overseas with the squad. If he stays, he will almost certainly start contributing goals just as he did last year.

GinobiliTheGOAT

What decline is that ? The guy scored a lot of goals last year in less games than he usually plays in a year. The lack of effectiveness this year is down to reduced training and no preseason. Some of that has to do with him staying home instead of traveling overseas with the squad. If he stays, he will almost certainly start contributing goals just as he did last year.
25% of his goals last season were against the almighty Norwich. He’s aging, it happens. But to see his career end with nobody wanting him and refusing to lower being one of the most overpaid players in the league this season is shocking.

Ronaldo deserves some humble pie but I didn’t think he’d go out like this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
25% of his goals last season were against the almighty Norwich. He’s aging, it happens. But to see his career end with nobody wanting him and refusing to lower being one of the most overpaid players in the league this season is shocking.

Ronaldo deserves some humble pie but I didn’t think he’d go out like this.
They can’t take him because of his wages. Even if he were to lower them it would still break the wage structure of most clubs, including those in the CL. People are going to have to prepare for the likelihood that he not just stay, but also play the entire year, which will be a bit awkward after some have spent the last few weeks self-immolating about him in this thread.

frostbite

I don't even get the CL obsession. It's meaningless unless he's at at club that can properly compete. If he goes to Napoli or Sporting, he'll get 6 games and could end up facing us in the Europa League.
It is about individual records. He probably wants to stay at the top of this list forever. Every single goal counts. Six games are still six games, much better than zero games.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/378059/champions-league-goals-by-player/
Players with most goals in the UEFA Champions League from 1955 to 2022

Ronaldo 141
Messi 125
Lewandowski 86
Benzema 86

RuudVNistelrooy10

In fairness, if you have to play for free to be taken by a CL club it's likely they don't value you enough to play you in the CL games anyway.

There's of course the other side of the Frenkie saga: if he stays he gets all his wages, so it's likely Mendes is trying to get us to chip in.

Having to pay Barca's debts to get de Jong to join and having to pay Ronaldo's wages so he pisses off to play in Naples. The state of this club.
You know we aren't doing either right?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It is about individual records. He probably wants to stay at the top of this list forever. Every single goal counts. Six games are still six games, much better than zero games.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/378059/champions-league-goals-by-player/
Players with most goals in the UEFA Champions League from 1955 to 2022

Ronaldo 141
Messi 125
Lewandowski 86
Benzema 86
I doubt Messi will catch him in either case since he has a grand total of 11 CL goals in the last three seasons combined. Ronaldo probably wants to pad his lead since this next year may be his last at top level.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I doubt Messi will catch him in either case since he has a grand total of 11 CL goals in the last three seasons combined. Ronaldo probably wants to pad his lead since this next year may be his last at top level.
Need to make it as hard as possible for Mbappe and Haaland. Also 150 CL goals would be an outstanding milestone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Need to make it as hard as possible for Mbappe and Haaland. Also 150 CL goals would be an outstanding milestone.
They are both nearly 100 CL goals behind Ronaldo and would have to average 10 a year for the next decade, which is going to be nearly impossible imo.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
They are both nearly 100 CL goals behind Ronaldo and would have to average 10 a year for the next decade, which is going to be nearly impossible imo.
So you’re saying there is a chance?

Slysi17

Honestly I was originally for Ronaldo staying but his legs has gone. No club with ambitions of winning the champions league will want Ronaldo. Probably best to sell Ronaldo but we have to replace him. My worry though is Ronaldo will be sold and the Glazers won't cough up the cash to replace him. We are short of forwards as it is. Honestly think we should go for Memphis Depay as a replacement. Pretty cheap deal to do especially since we are overpaying on Antony

Isle

Yesterday missed 2 passing opportunities to widen score line but Ronaldo tried to force pass to wide so he can get a tap in after. Not a team player needs to go.

GreatDane

Come on, I've seen how much you defend the guy but even you can't believe that surely?
It's nothing to do with reduced training or lack of pre-season, he's been back long enough and still refuses to break a sweat.
Either his legs are gone or he just doesn't give a shit. Either way he needs to leave, for his and our sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.