Cristiano Ronaldo - Man Utd Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Still rambling, but you’re yet to post what separates Keane or Terry from Ronaldo and Messi? And please answer the question, none of these “there are leaders and then there are leaders/leaders of men” non-answers that pop up as headers for £4.99 webinars on leadership
Still incapable of basic comprehension. Please tell me how Messi and Ronaldo are as good leaders as those two. And hopefully your answer isn't so woeful it also qualifies Hugo fecking Lloris as one of the best leaders in the game given he won a bigger prize as captain than those two did.

Real Name

I think people are mixing leaders and captains. Leader can be someone how leads by example, by giving his percent on the pitch and who other players look up to. Leader on the pitch in that sense doesnt necessarily need to be a captain nor is always a captain material. Ronaldo is defenitely leader on the pitch and his sole aura will lift the whole team, especially young players who they grew up having him as their idol. No reason to take an armband of Harry cause, as someone said here already, he really lived up to being a captain.
Ronaldo is Portugal captain cause he's their best players and that happens often. Same as Messi and nobody can say Messi is exactly a captain material.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Still incapable of basic comprehension. Please tell me how Messi and Ronaldo are as good leaders as those two. And hopefully your answer isn't so woeful it also qualifies Hugo fecking Lloris as one of the best leaders in the game given he won a bigger prize as captain than those two did.
Flipping the question round on you, what evidence do you have that Keane and Terry were better leaders than Messi and Ronaldo?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Flipping the question round on you, what evidence do you have that Keane and Terry were better leaders than Messi and Ronaldo?
Bit late to the party given I already flipped it around once.

This thread is actually funny. As if people can't wrap their heads around the big 2 not being the absolute best captains/leaders. They have to be the best at everything for their fans. With Keane, he is pretty much regarded as one of the greatest captains our club has ever seen. Same with Terry for his club. By all accounts they organised the teams, they drove everyone, they were the voice /embodiment of their managers on the pitch. Messi and Ronaldo weren't even captains of their club teams for majority of their careers FFS, as there was always someone more influential in this regard around. Also, evidence on this topic will always be weak, as we are going by team mates bigging up their colleagues which everyone does. But with Keane and Terry I think does go beyond that and it's generally acknowledged by the footballing word (or at least word). Except redcafe it seems.

Real Name

This thread is actually funny. As if people can't wrap their heads around the big 2 not being the absolute best captains/leaders. They have to be the best at everything for their fans. With Keane, he is pretty much regarded as one of the greatest captains our club has ever seen. Same with Terry for his club. By all accounts they organised the teams, they drove everyone, they were the voice /embodiment of their managers on the pitch. Messi and Ronaldo weren't even captains of their club teams for majority of their careers FFS, as there was always someone more influential in this regard around. Also, evidence on this topic will always be weak, as we are going by team mates bigging up their colleagues which everyone does. But with Keane and Terry I think does go beyond that and it's generally acknowledged by the footballing word (or at least word). Except redcafe it seems.
I'm with you on this one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I couldn‘t be arsed to follow the whole thread so sorry if I missed your earlier messages. I just think it’s a pointless argument anyway as you allude to when you say we don’t really have any evidence of anything when it comes to how a player leads other than tidbits here and there.

One thing to throw into the argument though is that you’re working on the assumption that natural leadership is the only type of leadership. Ronaldo and Messi without their talent might not be captain material but with their talent and the authority it grants them and how the grew during their careers could have developed into more effective leaders than the likes of Keane and Terry.

kps88

I couldn‘t be arsed to follow the whole thread so sorry if I missed your earlier messages. I just think it’s a pointless argument anyway as you allude to when you say we don’t really have any evidence of anything when it comes to how a player leads other than tidbits here and there.

One thing to throw into the argument though is that you’re working on the assumption that natural leadership is the only type of leadership. Ronaldo and Messi without their talent might not be captain material but with their talent and the authority it grants them and how the grew during their careers could have developed into more effective leaders than the likes of Keane and Terry.
I agree you can't really tell in general, but Keane is an exception. Praise for his leadership has been so extreme that it often ends up overshadowing what a great player he was. Any mention of Keane from an ex United player is usually followed up with them mentioning how good a leader he was. Most of them saying he was the best captain/leader they ever played with. I think Neville referred to him as being SAF on the pitch. So I think it's pretty safe to say Keane was a great leader.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Should Ronaldo be our captain? I don’t know, it’d be unfair to Maguire who has done a great job in setting up a chatgroup or something. But let’s face it, Ronaldo has done more for United than any of our current players (won 3 PL titles here plus 1 CL etc), and he is great captain for Portugal. But I don’t see why Maguire shouldn’t retain his captaincy for us, unless he is asking Ronaldo to take it (unlikely)

Hectic

Supports
30fps

Ole: ...And I reckon that's how you jerk off a dinosaur
Ronaldo: ...

MrEleson

Should Ronaldo be our captain? I don’t know, it’d be unfair to Maguire who has done a great job in setting up a chatgroup or something. But let’s face it, Ronaldo has done more for United than any of our current players (won 3 PL titles here plus 1 CL etc), and he is great captain for Portugal. But I don’t see why Maguire shouldn’t retain his captaincy for us, unless he is asking Ronaldo to take it (unlikely)
He doesn’t need the captain’s armband. He stamps his authority either way. He’d probably get vice-captaincy though.

TsuWave

You are the one that qualified Keane and Terry as better leaders. As “leaders of men”. The onus is on you to explain and justify why they differ from Ronaldo, Messi or Llloris and why they are better leaders. Talk about comprehension. Yours is awful. From arbitrary arguments, non-answers and nonsensical remarks with no added value. You don’t know what you’re talking about. You made a bunch of unfounded and baseless projections and now you’re here ducking an answer with every post and pivoting to personal attacks. Can’t take you seriously. No more rambling. Answer the question.

TsuWave

There’s no flipping needed to be done. That has literally been the question, and they’re yet to answer. Look at the exchange:

Ronaldo will undoubtedly be seen as the/a leader, not only due to his seniority in age, but the respect he commands due to his achievements and stature in the game. Ronaldo now is light years ahead of the Ronaldo that was here last time around in terms of experience. He’s the captain for his national team etc.
None of these players are true leaders of men like Keane, Terry and co anyway.
Bruv. Ronaldo led his country to their first major international trophy. What are you rambling about? “Leaders of men” feck sake :lol:
Hugo Lloris and Lionel Messi captained France and Argentina to a WC and Copa respectively. What are you talking about? I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to give them captaincy just for the sake of it. If you're fanboying let me know so we can discontinue this.
Your whole argument is arbitrary. Like, pure projections of what you consider to be leadership, and perhaps masculine traits. Ronaldo is a leader. He has led his teams to success. So has Messi, yes. What separates Keane or Terry from Ronaldo and Messi?
There's nothing arbitrary but if you see "masculinity" as the only difference between Terry and Keane vs Messi and Ronaldo, as far as leadership goes, then you are beyond help on this topic. There are leaders and then there are leaders. A team doesn't need a Keane/Terry type figure to be successful but it's evident that they were comfortably more influential leader of men than the two best players of this generation.
Still rambling, but you’re yet to post what separates Keane or Terry from Ronaldo and Messi? And please answer the question, none of these “there are leaders and then there are leaders/leaders of men” non-answers that pop up as headers for £4.99 webinars on leadership
Still no answer. Just more rambling and personal attacks now. They can't justify their statements.

JPB

There’s no flipping needed to be done. That has literally been the question, and they’re yet to answer. Look at the exchange:

Still no answer. Just more rambling and personal attacks now. They can't justify their statements.
If you need someone to tell you why Roy Keane was an amazing captain, then that person is probably wasting their breath on you.

TsuWave

If you need someone to tell you why Roy Keane was an amazing captain, then that person is probably wasting their breath on you.
This is not the argument, and at no point was it ever stated Keane was not a capable leader.

RizzyMUFC

Comparing Keane to anyone in regards to leadership qualities is stupid. So I don't understand why people are bringing him into it when it comes to Ronaldos leadership qualities as there aren't many who can match up with Keane.

However, lumping Ronaldo in with Messi because they are both considered the best 2 in the world is also silly. There are different types of Leadership. Is Cantona a better leader than Keane? No.. obviously not. Did we witness him lead a team with his arrogance. His desire to win. YES. Have we witnessed a 30+ Ronaldo lead teams. Of course we have. Not being captain or the biggest leader in the dressing room doesn't mean you aren't a leader. 3 b2b champions league runs where he has showed up in moments when his team have needed him. A guy literally known for his off field work ethic. His hunger to improve and demanding the best of himself and those around him. An individual who has won it all and has chose to come to a team putting his legacy on the line. And literally giving his word that trophies will come. To think he can't inspire and lead a team by example the way Cantona, Henry, Shearer, Vardy, Drogba, Suarez have done in this league because they don't compare to "Leader of Men" like Keane and Terry and dare I say Gerrard is eye roll worthy.

Having said that. No need to take captaincy off Maguire.

Last edited:

Manny

Grammar Police
Are we actually comparing Keane and Messi and Ronaldo as leaders and captains?
Fanboys and its only going to get worse. I check join dates now because some of stuff I've been reading recently is a bit bonkers.

Suggesting Maguire should hand over the captaincy out of respect was bad enough but comparing Ronaldo to Keane...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Are we actually comparing Keane and Messi and Ronaldo as leaders and captains?
Clearly, as show in these FM screenshots, Keane was the better leader. And we know that FM is never wrong. Why is there even an argument about this? Next people would be telling us that Freddy Adu and Lionel Morgan weren't proper world class players who went on to bigger things.

TsuWave

Fanboys and its only going to get worse. I check join dates now because some of stuff I've been reading recently is a bit bonkers.

Suggesting Maguire should hand over the captaincy out of respect was bad enough but comparing Ronaldo to Keane...
This is taking a weird turn, and it's being framed in a way that's totally opposite of what actually happened. I mean, the posts are there to be read.

For clarification, I did not compare Ronaldo to Keane. I said that Ronaldo will be seen as a leader due to his seniority, experience and achievements. This would also not be a new role to him as he's the captain for his national team. Someone replied stating that "Ronaldo is not a true leader of men a la Keane and Terry" (this was in fact the first mention of Keane in the exchange, and it wasn't made by me), to which I replied Ronaldo is a successful captain. The person then went on a downward spiral about Ronaldo and Messi supposedly not being leaders of men like Keane and Terry. All I've asked since is what separates ABC from XYZ seeing as XYZ have been in leadership positions and have been successful, much like ABC were.

Leadership isn't a rigid, easily quantifiable concept with a set model. Dismissing Ronaldo and Messi, even Lloris, as leaders "because Keane and Terry" is weird. More so, when Ronaldo, Messi and Lloris have proven themselves successful. It isn't "fanboyism". I assume a substantial of posters on Redcafe are over the age of 30, to even use words like "fanboys" is a bit weird to me.

Chairman Steve

Captain status is somewhat over exaggerated these days. Teams mostly just have leader figures and the more who fit that personality, the better.

Ronaldo will undoubtedly be a leader in that team, along with Bruno and Maguire.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Next someone will suggest to rename the club Ronaldo FC …

This is taking a weird turn, and it's being framed in a way that's totally opposite of what actually happened. I mean, the posts are there to be read.
Don't take it personally, it's just how people try hard on forums. Make up their own arguments and then win them.

Like this one, wandering into the middle of the discussion to launch a wise-crack that just shows the entire conversation flew completely over their head

JPB

Don't take it personally, it's just how people try hard on forums. Make up their own arguments and then win them.

Like this one, wandering into the middle of the discussion to launch a wise-crack that just shows the entire conversation flew completely over their head
He literally asked 2 or 3 times what separates Keane from Ronaldo and Messi as a captain. He was continuously asking for an answer. All he has to do is familiarise himself with Keane's career or read up a bit about him. If this guy doesn't know why Roy Keane is better captain material, he must not be familiar with Roy Keane. Keane is one of the top captains of all time. :)

Dve

Maguire will obviously continue as the captain, I don´t even think that´s a discussion to have. And Fernandes should keep on taking penalties; he´s just better at it. Ronaldo can have the free kicks outside the box, though, we don´t score much on those.

ChaddyP

Maguire will obviously continue as the captain, I don´t even think that´s a discussion to have. And Fernandes should keep on taking penalties; he´s just better at it. Ronaldo can have the free kicks outside the box, though, we don´t score much on those.
been scoring a few recently thanks to bruno :lol:

Dve

been scoring a few recently thanks to bruno :lol:
Have we? One in a friendly during preseason. When was the last counting one?

Edit: Actually, I think he´s only scored one goal from direct free kick in his whole United career. I remember two goals from Rashford the last few seasons, and one from Pogba which was reflected into the top corner. We really don´t score much on free kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.