Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

jm99

Ronaldo was shocking this World Cup to the point he had to be dropped. Plenty of other players looked better in his absence. And big difference in a World Cup match Vs playing at home.

He was the biggest blemish of this WC and became a laughing stock on top of his united exit.

he’s a solid player and many years from now people will rightfully remember him as the second best player of his generation. But him trying to hang on last his sell date and looking painful out there isn’t helping.
They looked better against Switzerland, but against Morocco they weren't any better without him on the pitch and that's where they went out, he's definitely declined but it's not as if ramos or anyone else was fantastic, ramos was so poor against Morocco they had to take him off at half time.

They looked good in one game without him and poor in one game without him, it's not a huge sample size to go off of.

GinobiliTheGOAT

They looked better against Switzerland, but against Morocco they weren't any better without him on the pitch and that's where they went out, he's definitely declined but it's not as if ramos or anyone else was fantastic, ramos was so poor against Morocco they had to take him off at half time.

They looked good in one game without him and poor in one game without him, it's not a huge sample size to go off of.
The fact that he had to be dropped spoke volumes though. In a World Cup no less.

jm99

The fact that he had to be dropped spoke volumes though. In a World Cup no less.
And his replacement had to be subbed off at half time in a World Cup no less, for him. I'm not suggesting he's still a world class striker, but he's a decent option for Portugal, particularly given they don't have to pay his enormous wages, which was clearly a stumbling block for staying in Europe. If he doesn't perform martinez should drop him but so far he's doing OK under him and I'd imagine as long as that stays the case he'll keep his place. I think his career has probably earned him the right to have a chance to prove himself under martinez

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
And his replacement had to be subbed off at half time in a World Cup no less, for him. I'm not suggesting he's still a world class striker, but he's a decent option for Portugal, particularly given they don't have to pay his enormous wages, which was clearly a stumbling block for staying in Europe. If he doesn't perform martinez should drop him but so far he's doing OK under him and I'd imagine as long as that stays the case he'll keep his place. I think his career has probably earned him the right to have a chance to prove himself under martinez
Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are hardly the measure of competitiveness, 2 semi-proffesional teams.

CR7 will be dropped as soon as they face a decent opponent

jm99

Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are hardly the measure of competitiveness, 2 semi-proffesional teams.

CR7 will be dropped as soon as they face a decent opponent
I doubt it, he'll be dropped if he doesn't perform, I can't see martinez giving him games, he keeps scoring and then just gets dropped. Didn't martinez keep playing the older players at belgium as well? I'm sure Ronaldo will get a chance anyway

Gazza

It’s actually great for Portugal’s opponents that they’re wasting time with Ronaldo that they could be spending developing the team for the next tournament. If I was one of Portugal’s opponents at the next Euros, I’d be absolutely praying that they keep playing Ronaldo as long as possible!

Eddy_JukeZ

It's actually insane that his acolytes still parrot that he's got something to offer in top level football.

Delusional.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was shite for us apparently, but still scored more than any other striker we've got the last 15 years, bar RvP
He was beyond shit the 2nd season. It's inarguable.

He was decent/good the 1st season.

And he's become a toxic person in the dressing room, so ergo, he was shit for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Really? It was only earlier today so it should still be fresh in the memory. See below

It’s nowhere near the level of Europes top 5 leagues, of course. You’re still trying to make a case for it being a good level with the bolded part, and not for the first time either.
You‘ve just proved here why I’ve said it’s a complete lie. You are purposedly taking this completely out of context. I was comparing this example to a five a side competition comment from the original poster quoted from below in a joking manner, instead of making a case of it “being good enough”. Thats basically my whole point of comparing. Heres the original post:

:lol: if we're disregarding the level of competition you can add me to that list. I've scored a fair few in my five a side recently.
Heres actually what I’ve said in reply, which you have conveniently ignored the key part to fit your own deluded agenda:

That’s quite a stretch. Those are still top division/best league in Asia, in a country regular qualifies for WC, and also manage to produce club reaching 2nd place this year in world club cup, beating the best club from South America. But true it’s nowhere near the level of Europe’s top 5 league, not even close. But it’s still much closer to that level than your five a side competition. :)
You are simply missing the whole point (in bold part), the whole comparison with five a side thing is made in a joking tone instead of “desperately talking up something“. The fact I have keep mentioning right before/after that it’s nowhere near the level of top league in Europe several times while you have conveniently ignored, would means you are simply trying to draw the whole picture completely out of context to fit your own agenda here. It’s quite a pathetic move, really, as it’s plain clear I was just comparing with five a side all the while (where the poster has scored a few) instead of making a case of it being good enough.

Last edited:

wangyu

The constant devaluation of everything that is not EPL on here is disturbing.
The best teams in the middle east most likely will hold their own in the EPL.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It's actually insane that his acolytes still parrot that he's got something to offer in top level football.

Delusional.
Well last year this time some were still convinced he was gonna be playing at top level all the way into his 40s
Football fans are fickle especially the die hard player fanboys

Son

He is definitely statpadding right now. If playing in Saudi-Arabia and playing, over young upcoming players, against Lichtenstein and Luxembourg at the age of 38 isn't statpadding, I really don't know what is.

Since he turned 30, this is Ronaldo's stats for Portugal vs. different quality of opposition:

Against nations outside top 75 on the FIFA ranking:
36 goals (8 penalties) in 18 games
2 goals/game
1,56 non penalty goals/game

vs. teams between 31-75 on the FIFA ranking:
24 goals (4 penalties)in 38 games
0,63 goals/game
0,53 non penalty goals/game

vs. teams 1-30 on the FIFA ranking:
10 goals (3 penalties) in 22 games
0,45 goals/game
0,32 non penalty goals/90

Remarkable difference in the numbers, right? He'll probably continue to stack up numbers in the Saudi League.
He's obviously had an absolutely fantastic career and is one of the most prolific goalscorers of all time. He's also almost unmatched when it comes to longevity with 5 EUROs, 5 WCs, 183 CL matches, and 1100+ official matches total. Fantastic!

That doesn't change the fact that he was a disaster for us in his 2nd stay here and is now spending the last parts of his career statpadding in Saudi-Arabia, at least a couple of levels below where he should be playing.
Nail on the head. End of the day we can all love Ronaldo for his career but this end is quite simply a bit of a farce.

Pele was too in his latter career I’m sure. It’s basically the modern day Pele. Maradona for example didn’t score nearly as many goals but probably most football fans would rate him higher than either at his peak for a reason.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Nail on the head. End of the day we can all love Ronaldo for his career but this end is quite simply a bit of a farce.

Pele was too in his latter career I’m sure. It’s basically the modern day Pele. Maradona for example didn’t score nearly as many goals but probably most football fans would rate him higher than either at his peak for a reason.
I see what you did there. First you are agreeing Ronaldo being a bit of a farce during his late career, then you are simply stating he is a modern day Pele, which somehow lead to conclusion of Maradona being better.

In short, you are just saying Maradona > Pele here.

Son

I see what you did there. First you are agreeing Ronaldo being a bit of a farce during his late career, then you are simply stating he is a modern day Pele, which somehow lead to conclusion of Maradona being better.

In short, you are just saying Maradona > Pele here.
You’ve gotta keep adding some fire to that argument sometimes on the sly. Messi is a bit like Maradona too while we are at it… :lol:

cyberman

He is definitely statpadding right now. If playing in Saudi-Arabia and playing, over young upcoming players, against Lichtenstein and Luxembourg at the age of 38 isn't statpadding, I really don't know what is.

Since he turned 30, this is Ronaldo's stats for Portugal vs. different quality of opposition:

Against nations outside top 75 on the FIFA ranking:
36 goals (8 penalties) in 18 games
2 goals/game
1,56 non penalty goals/game

vs. teams between 31-75 on the FIFA ranking:
24 goals (4 penalties)in 38 games
0,63 goals/game
0,53 non penalty goals/game

vs. teams 1-30 on the FIFA ranking:
10 goals (3 penalties) in 22 games
0,45 goals/game
0,32 non penalty goals/90

Remarkable difference in the numbers, right? He'll probably continue to stack up numbers in the Saudi League.
He's obviously had an absolutely fantastic career and is one of the most prolific goalscorers of all time. He's also almost unmatched when it comes to longevity with 5 EUROs, 5 WCs, 183 CL matches, and 1100+ official matches total. Fantastic!

That doesn't change the fact that he was a disaster for us in his 2nd stay here and is now spending the last parts of his career statpadding in Saudi-Arabia, at least a couple of levels below where he should be playing.
Who are the young Portuguese strikers he’s keeping out?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s even crazier than when Celtic and rangers fans used to say they’d finish top 6 in the PL

mctrials23

He was shite for us apparently, but still scored more than any other striker we've got the last 15 years, bar RvP
And after all, thats all there is to football. Who scores the most goals for the team. Doesn't matter if the team are crap with them in it or they cause massive problems on and off the pitch. Its all about those tasty goal numbers. I just cannot fathom why we had such a poor season with him scoring so many goals when that is all that matters :rolleyes:

troylocker

Who are the young Portuguese strikers he’s keeping out?
Ramos for instance (or even Silva), or anyone who are in the future plans for Portugal. Playing a 38 year old over future options in matches you will win comfortably no matter who you start up top, serves only one purpose: Let the old man feed his ego and break those records.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
He was dropped because of his reaction to being subbed in the South Korea game.
Do you think Santos would drop him and put Ramos (that for the NT was a "nobody" at that point) for the knockout games specifically? Against a Switzerland that was expected to be defensive the aerial threat of Ronaldo (even if motionless) would in theory be much more suited.

cyberman

Ramos for instance (or even Silva), or anyone who are in the future plans for Portugal. Playing a 38 year old over future options in matches you will win comfortably no matter who you start up top, serves only one purpose: Let the old man feed his ego and break those records.
They basically have two strikers at the minute with Ronaldo being one. Silva isn’t close to being good enough just yet.
That’s the situation they’re in. You don’t build for the future in international football because there’s so many variables that an international manager can’t control. It’s all about getting through the next qualification round and giving yourself the best chance to win the next international tournament.
The man still consistently scores goals for them. He isn’t there out of charity

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Well last year this time some were still convinced he was gonna be playing at top level all the way into his 40s
Football fans are fickle especially the die hard player fanboys
Yeah, it was crazy some actually believed Ronaldo could stay in Europe until his 40s playing CL football.

And now he is in Saudi Arabia stad-padding

Last edited:

cyberman

Unluckily for Ronaldo, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein won't qualify to the next Euro.

38 years old Ronaldo offers nothing against decent teams.
He’s been constantly scoring in qualifiers for the last few years, there’s a lot more examples of those two teams that Portugal faces in competitive games than not.
I’m sure when they’re up against the best of the best he’ll find himself on the bench again

Andersonson

He is almost 40 years old and is crushing it in a decent league in the middle east. Who gives a shit if it's stats padding or not, it's incredible he can still stat pad at that age. Over a goal a game in a professional league is insane no matter what. If he was 20 years old and came up with that numbers you all would like us to sign him up, with out ever watching him based on the stats alone

djembatheking

He’s been constantly scoring in qualifiers for the last few years, there’s a lot more examples of those two teams that Portugal faces in competitive games than not.
I’m sure when they’re up against the best of the best he’ll find himself on the bench again
There is no way Martinez will bench him, he hasn`t got the balls and it will end up getting him sacked. As others have said on here by playing him now Portugal are missing out on giving game time to younger players and a chance for them to gel, improve and learn a new system before they meet tougher opposition in the Euros. Martinez will see how difficult Ronaldo and his ego is to manage when he realises he needs to drop him and it could well be too late by then and Ronnie will probably do an interview with Piers and harp on about all his goals against Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. It is all good for Portugals future opponents though as Ronnies selfishness doesn`t help them.

cafecillos

He is almost 40 years old and is crushing it in a decent league in the middle east. Who gives a shit if it's stats padding or not, it's incredible he can still stat pad at that age. Over a goal a game in a professional league is insane no matter what. If he was 20 years old and came up with that numbers you all would like us to sign him up, with out ever watching him based on the stats alone
No.

GinobiliTheGOAT

In a league where even in depth sites like transfer market don’t even have basic photos of half the players. Plenty of players are getting nearly a goal a game on the top scoring list there and Ronaldo had 4 in a single match and has blanked in half his matches there.

He’s 40, but let’s stop pretending he’s doing something heroic over there

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think it can be argued both ways. Even without counting his 4 goals and motm contributions in the 2 qualifying games, with Ronaldo extending his all time record with Portugal, it might also lift the spirit of the whole squad, and make the whole nation pride. After all, the record breaker does represent their country, and international competitions is all about giving pride to the country.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Post of the year here
So those middle eastern teams are easily better than division one teams?

heraklion

He's pretty useless last few years with the NT, scored 13 goals in the last 20 games, 8 of which were against Luxembourg, Lichtenstein and Qatar in 4 games. Not to mention his usual ghosting in the WC which became his standard. Portugal does not need him to win against those sides.

wangyu

The reactions I got prove my point. You all believe your own hype regarding the EPL

I am 100% sure teams like Al Ahly or Al Hilal can survive the EPL. I'm not talking about top 10, I said hold their own.

Al Hilal lost 5-3 against the best team in the world, very respectable score. Last year Chelsea won just 1-0 vs Al Hilal in the CWC. The year before that Al Ahly lost just 2-0 vs Bayern.

As far as I remember none of those clubs got beaten by huge margins by the biggest clubs in the world in the only official competition where they can play each other. Why would these teams not be able to beat the likes of Southampton or Nottingham forest?

Zen

To be fair he's absolutely right..... I mean put them in the Premiership and they can attract legit players, while being the richest team in the league. So absolutely they'll hold their own.

KeanoMagicHat

The reactions I got prove my point. You all believe your own hype regarding the EPL

I am 100% sure teams like Al Ahly or Al Hilal can survive the EPL. I'm not talking about top 10, I said hold their own.

Al Hilal lost 5-3 against the best team in the world, very respectable score. Last year Chelsea won just 1-0 vs Al Hilal in the CWC. The year before that Al Ahly lost just 2-0 vs Bayern.

As far as I remember none of those clubs got beaten by huge margins by the biggest clubs in the world in the only official competition where they can play each other. Why would these teams not be able to beat the likes of Southampton or Nottingham forest?
It's really hard to tell off one-off games, you're talking about only losing 1-0 to Chelsea and then bring up Southampton and Nottingham Forest. Southampton beat Chelsea just last month, and Forest drew with Chelsea, both better results than that.

Vitro

I doubt Ronaldo has much of a net positive effect on the teams he plays for at the moment. He may be scoring goals, but he contributes almost nothing else and the goals you’d lose by replacing him would easily be made up by the rest of the team. This is quite obvious when looking how teams have performed with and without him. I’m not convinced his current sides would be faring much worse if he was replaced by a younger striker of average ability.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Can anyone who actually saw the match as well report on how he played? All this debate on here and I feel most of you didn't even see the game. I'm just curious
So no one then :(

I ask because I genuinely thought he had some good outings for us even this season as a substitute when he didn't score but sometimes he was really bad apart from his goal.

wangyu

It's really hard to tell off one-off games, you're talking about only losing 1-0 to Chelsea and then bring up Southampton and Nottingham Forest. Southampton beat Chelsea just last month, and Forest drew with Chelsea, both better results than that.
What other references do we have regarding games of EPL teams vs Middle Eastern teams? None

Saudi Arabia beat Argentina with a good performance and classy goals. These guys all play in their homecountry. It surprises me that football fans completely fail to acknowledge that in football everything is possible. If the national team can beat the world champions then there is no doubt in my mind that any top team in the Middle East is able to beat several EPL teams in one season.