Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
I was gutted when he went off, the biggest games should have the best players. We didn't see him until extra time, I assumed he'd gone to hospital or something but I was so glad to see him during extra time. There can be no doubting his captaincy skills now, I was very impressed by his passion on the touch line.

Really glad he's got an international trophy, and I hope Messi comes out of retirement and wins something, because tax dodger or not he deserves it.

I knew this thread would be full of bitter people. Just stay out, tonight is not the time to be pushing your agenda.

Tiber

for someone who apparently doesn't give a crap about anything but his ego - he sure enjoyed that one

"Ronaldo-lite" Nani also had a really good tournament. Happy for them both

Classical Mechanic

Again, look against which teams he scored most of his goals, goalscoring alone isn't the main factor or Luis Suarez should be in the fight with his 59 goals and a double with Barcelona. Football is like that, I'd say this is one of Ronaldo's worst seasons in the last decade and still is his best if we look at it's silverware, but in the personal level I don't think this cements any argument in his comparison against Messi

When I say Benzema wouldn't win it this year with the same numbers I'm talking about how the world perceives some players, that's why Luis Suarez won't win it nor was in last year's podium. On the other hand if Ronaldo or Messi did what Griezmann has done this year they could easily be favourites to win it
Sorry but the CL and Euros trump domestic Spanish business. As a disclaimer, I am a big Ronaldo fan but don't think he is the GOAT or even better than Messi. I do believe that he deserves the Ballon D'Or this season however.

MounchesterUtd

People will find ways to discredit him because he didn't finish the Final but they wouldn't have made it in the first place if it weren't for his performance against Wales. It was a complete team performance, but he contributed to this title as much as everyone else on the team.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Tends to be how these awards work but you seem ti be ignoring the fact that Ronaldo has two more trophies than him season and scored around 20 more goals.

As much as you dislike him, he will win the award and will be as deserving a winner as many many previous winners.
Agree to disagree then.

FWIW, I think that Ronaldo would be more deserving than Griezmann (by far!), I just disagree with the logic that this tournament win would be what propels him above him given that he was weaker than him throughout the entire tournament. That kind of logic is just insane. As is the trophies won argument. He won two more trophies than Griezmann, one in a penalty shoot out and one in a final he didn't even play in.

RedStarUnited

He played his part in the tournament for his country. He was still underwhelming though when you look at all his performances. There wasn't even a standout Portugese player in the tournament everyone just kind of played their part.
If Messi had a single attacking partner that played close to the way Nani played this Euro, They would have won at least one of the finals in the last 3 years.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I do find it laughable that a nation, that still holds Gazza's tears in Turin as the epitome of passion, hates and mocks Ronaldo crying on the pitch to the extent it does. Especially now, weeks after whinging that their national team don't care enough.
Good points actually. :lol:

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
The 'wums will be thread banned' thing needs to be enforced.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
People will find ways to discredit him because he didn't finish the Final but they wouldn't have made it in the first place if it weren't for his performance against Wales. It was a complete team performance, but he contributed to this title as much as everyone else on the team.
I'm sure the same people weren't discrediting Paul Scholes or Roy Keane for their parts in our Champions League winning campaign either despite them not playing the final. People love a moan about Ronaldo and Messi, it's so bizarre.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Pepe has been Portugal's best player for me, actually.
Most crucial IMO given that their style of play is defensive. Without him back there they'd have been put out. Also one of the better performers tonight even though he was completely done by Gignac for that chance at the end.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Agree to disagree then.

FWIW, I think that Ronaldo would be more deserving than Griezmann (by far!), I just disagree with the logic that this tournament win would be what propels him above him given that he was weaker than him throughout the entire tournament. That kind of logic is just insane. As is the trophies won argument. He won two more trophies than Griezmann, one in a penalty shoot out and one in a final he didn't even play in.
You do realise that he scored 15 goals to get them to that penalty shoot out and had 3 goals and 3 assists helping them to the final?

Anyway, lets leave it.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Not sure why you have that in quotes, he's had the better career imo and he's proven himself in the two biggest leagues in the world. Won plenty of trophies in both of them and now Portugal.
Because that's your opinion and not an actual fact. 8-4 in leagues, 4-3 in League cups, 4-3 in UCL while still being 2 years younger, Leo has almost every record bar the UCL one that Ronaldo took from him and has a better goal per game ratio. Portugal wins a EC and that automatically turns it around for Ronaldo despite the fact that Messi has managed to play 3 international finals and won a Olympic gold medal? Suit yourself but that's not objective and I won't abide to that, just came to express an opinion

And of course, you can say that's because Messi has played in a great team (Like Utd or Real were pushovers when Ronaldo played there) but even with that, Messi has won a good part of his titles playing against Ronaldo, that can't be so easily said about international competitions.

And I won't say he doesn't deserve his titles this year as if it wasn't for him Madrid would likely fall against Wolfsburg and he played an important part this Euro, even not at his best 60 good minutes from him spared around 7 games did enough to put Portugal in the finals, I just want to defend an honest and fair "fight" against Ronaldo and Messi

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
George Best (after Portugal lost the Euros)
- "We saw that he plays with his heart too. He obviously loves the game so much and was distraught to lose in the final. Seeing him cry nearly got me going too."
That's a great quote from Best. Really sums him up for me. It's his passion that fuels his unparalleled drive, I'm pretty sure of it. Great to see hm lifting the bucket for his country.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You do realise that he scored 15 goals to get them to that penalty shoot out and had 3 goals and 3 assists helping them to the final?

Anyway, lets leave it.
11 of those goals came against just two teams (one of which was Malmo...). Bit of perspective. Like I say, impressive statistics but if you're going to use them to prove a point then we need to delve deeper into them.

I also don't think that scoring 3 goals v Hungary and Wales is enough to elevate you to being the best player in the world.

And no, it isn't because I dislike him. Like I've said in another thread, I don't think tonight cements his legacy at all. His legacy as one of the all time greats was already cemented. He wasn't that good this tournament and it says absolutely nothing about him or his ability. We knew how good he was before it.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Sorry but the CL and Euros trump domestic Spanish business. As a disclaimer, I am a big Ronaldo fan but don't think he is the GOAT or even better than Messi. I do believe that he deserves the Ballon D'Or this season however.
But I'm talking about how things "could" go if the Ballon D'Or really gifted individual performance instead of what I'm saying about merchandising and being a better known figure, Ronaldo will likely win this year's Ballon D'Or and I don't have a big quarrel against that, it can't get worse than what happened in 2010 and 2013 imo

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Ronaldo's medal collection is seriously impressive.

Must be up there with the best collections ever.
Agreed though you just know there's probably some obscure benchwarmer player whose medal collection trumps everyone else's. Pub quiz type of shit.

VanGaalEra

FFS, thread being ruined by Pink Moon and the rest as usual.

The guy has just won the Euros along with the CL this season and scored 50+ goals and people are moaning. Threadbans please.

Sigma

He's basically a slam dunk for the Ballon d'or now. Champions league and Euro 16 winning medals.

VanGaalEra

From the top of my head:

3 X PL.
1 X FA Cup
2 X League Cup
2 X World Club Cup
1 X Super Cup
1 X Copa Del Rey
1 X La Liga
3 X CL
1 X Euro with Portugal

4th Balon Dor on its way.