g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cristiano Ronaldo - Performances (wums will be thread banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baanke laal

banned
Plus more Balon d Or's....

How's Ronaldo had the better career? I can take people saying Ronaldo is the better player but how the hell has he had a better career?
Has won all the possible trophies in two countries. Has been the best player in the two topmost leagues in the world. Has won a major international trophy with his country. Multiple ballon dor winner with another one on it's way. It's safe to say he has had the better career.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Has won all the possible trophies in two continents. Has been the best player in the two topmost leagues in the world. Has won a major international trophy with his country. Multiple ballon dor winner with another one on it's way. It's safe to say he has had the better career.
We're not out of Europe yet!

baanke laal

banned
He's actually been effective as a leader.. never thought I'd be saying that about Ronnie but even his cheerleading down the touchline was quality and more entertaining than his football.
Remember even SAF thought Beckham could never be a good leader and captain? :D
We all make mistakes.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I can't stop laughing at the sight of him stood on the sideline in full Sir Alex mode pointing at his watch :lol:

sammyvine

Has won all the possible trophies in two countries. Has been the best player in the two topmost leagues in the world. Has won a major international trophy with his country. Multiple ballon dor winner with another one on it's way. It's safe to say he has had the better career.
No he hasn't had a better career. He wasn't the difference int eh final since he went off injured.

Playing in different countries doesn't mean anything. Its not something that should be used as an advantage imo.
Messi has more Balon d ors, more league titles and more champions league trophies than Ronaldo.

Miscemayl

No he hasn't had a better career. He wasn't the difference int eh final since he went off injured.

Playing in different countries doesn't mean anything. Its not something that should be used as an advantage imo.
Messi has more Balon d ors, more league titles and more champions league trophies than Ronaldo.
If getting injured in the final, after dragging the team through to the finals, don't merit a mention, then fairly sure one of Messi's CL don't count either (the first one as a squad player).

thejtrain

Then playing for better team shouldn't be either? What did he actually do to win the CL in 2006 and the league titles around that time? If you don't want to count the trophies, just don't - including only the ones that fit your argument while leaving out others is simply not fair.

Flytan

Portugal winning it after him going off injured makes it all the better imo. His teammates fought hard and were inspired by him and despite the heartbreak he didn't sulk and went out there and cheered for them. Messi on the other hand misses a penalty in a final and quits on his teammates.

Ronaldo is a diva on the pitch but his personality as a winner and a person are top notch.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
There's not way Suarez a better player than Ronaldo. It's not even a funny joke.
I'm not saying he's better. I'm saying that he's played better than him this season (and Messi, imo).

That comment was tongue in cheek anyway because the implication is that having won an international tournament Ronaldo is now the best player in the world but Suarez had won an international tournament long before Ronaldo.

nick2004

Portugal winning it after him going off injured makes it all the better imo. His teammates fought hard and were inspired by him and despite the heartbreak he didn't sulk and went out there and cheered for them. Messi on the other hand misses a penalty in a final and quits on his teammates.

Ronaldo is a diva on the pitch but his personality as a winner and a person are top notch.
Great post!

I was also surprised to see him cheer his teammates with such enthusiasm. Great display from Ronaldo!

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
If getting injured in the final, after dragging the team through to the finals, don't merit a mention, then fairly sure one of Messi's CL don't count either (the first one as a squad player).
In what universe did Ronaldo "drag" his team through. Whether you're a Ronaldo fan or not it's not only completely inaccurate but it's also highly disrespectful to the likes of Pepe, Nani, Rui Patricio, Renato Sanches and Quaresma who all played as big a part. This is why I didn't want Portugal to win this. The lunacy is already evident and narratives are being falsely set.

Ronaldo apparently dragged his team through yet Nani scored the same amount of goals in the tournament and his teams best performer throughout the tournament was probably Pepe. It's just ridiculous how shit like this grows legs and runs at an alarming rate.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Great post!

I was also surprised to see him cheer his teammates with such enthusiasm. Great display from Ronaldo!
You were surprised to see the Portuguese captain enthusiastically cheer on his teammates in an international final? Really?

Hard to tell who's being sarcastic and who's being genuine in here.

Miscemayl

In what universe did Ronaldo "drag" his team through. Whether you're a Ronaldo fan or not it's not only completely inaccurate but it's also highly disrespectful to the likes of Pepe, Nani, Rui Patricio, Renato Sanches and Quaresma who all played as big a part. This is why I didn't want Portugal to win this. The lunacy is already evident and narratives are being falsely set.

Ronaldo apparently dragged his team through yet Nani scored the same amount of goals in the tournament and his teams best performer throughout the tournament was probably Pepe. It's just ridiculous how shit like this grows legs and runs at an alarming rate.
Fine, not singlehandedly drag but made significant contributions to enable them to make the final.

Better?

thejtrain

You were surprised to see the Portuguese captain enthusiastically cheer on his teammates in an international final? Really?

You really need to take a break, lad! You seem to have a problem with pretty much everything Ronaldo gets credit for. Yes, it was really nice to see him back in the dugout despite being injured and coming off to the disappointment of many!

Did he do it because it could be about him more than about the team? I think not, but a lot of his detractors have a certain opinion about him, so maybe. Has this happened before? Not to my knowledge. So, yes it was great to see.

It's really bizarre because it's not like you're Portuguese that wants to give it to his teammates either, so it really looks like this win has hurt you so much. :D

nick2004

Yes, really! Great players tend to be somewhat selfish. He could be sad and disappointed in this situation, and just sit there brooding. On the contrary, he was jumping up and down with genuine enthusiasm. I liked that!

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You really need to take a break, lad! You seem to have a problem with pretty much everything Ronaldo gets credit for. Yes, it was really nice to see him back in the dugout despite being injured and coming off to the disappointment of many!

Did he do it because it could be about him more than about the team? I think not, but a lot of his detractors have a certain opinion about it, so maybe. Has this happened before? Not to my knowledge.

So, yes it was great to see. It's really bizarre because it's not like you're Portuguese that wants to give it to his teammates either, so it really looks like this win has hurt you so much. :D
You're right, I have a problem with giving credit to the captain of a national team cheering on his teammates in an international final... FFS it's brown nosing of the highest order and just completely over the top. Like I say, I don't even know if he was being genuine, I actually think he was being sarcastic but you can never tell online.

The win hasn't hurt me at all. If I hated Ronaldo that much I'd actually be taking great delight in them winning it without him, no? And seeing as how you're an expert in my posts, I'm surprised you never seen where I earlier said during the game that I was gutted for him to come off injured. Of course that doesn't fit the agenda :rolleyes:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Some of y'all need to step away from the keyboard immediately, take a shot of your fav liquor, wank off to your Messi or Ronaldo poster, get a good 6-8 hours of sleep, and come back refreshed.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Yes, really! Great players tend to be somewhat selfish. He could be sad and disappointed in this situation, and just sit there brooding. On the contrary, he was jumping up and down with genuine enthusiasm. I liked that!
No problem with that. I was just amused that you claimed you were "surprised" to see him cheer his teammates on. Selfish or not nobody is going to sit and sulk when their country is in the final of a major tournament much less the captain of that country.

ricky-romeo

After all those 2004 final and semifinals loses over the years ronaldo deserved this one.

He was not even close to his best for sure, but he did play his part.

thejtrain

You're right, I have a problem with giving credit to the captain of a national team cheering on his teammates in an international final... FFS it's brown nosing of the highest order and just completely over the top. Like I say, I don't even know if he was being genuine, I actually think he was being sarcastic but you can never tell online.

The win hasn't hurt me at all. If I hated Ronaldo that much I'd actually be taking great delight in them winning it without him, no? And seeing as how you're an expert in my posts, I'm surprised you never seen where I earlier said during the game that I was gutted for him to come off injured. Of course that doesn't fit the agenda :rolleyes:
Nor can I, but like I said this has never happened before to my knowledge so it was great to see at least for me. Do I have to rethink if it should feel great because you seem to have a problem with it too?

I honestly have no agenda - it just looks so from the outside. Why would a simple opinion that naturally occurs to a lot of viewers not necessarily Ronaldo fans bother someone as much? I couldn't care less about what Messi or any superstar does that their fans feel great about - if I dislike them or have a problem with it, I would simply stay off it. Not that I'm wanting you to stay off of this thread - I'm just saying it makes you look obsessed about him.

Anyway, like I said, I couldn't care less about if you or anyone has a problem with it - a trophy in the bag, baby! :D

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So will he win Ballon D'or this year? Looks like he would though, either him or Suarez.

gingerless

I think he is noticeably on the downslope, tbh. From quite high up, obvs. And I don't think he has been as good as Messi, though not far behind either. 2-3 fantastic goals at this tournament, the flick & the headers, 2nd header out of this world. And the assist from an 80 yard sprint to get that winning/saving goal vs. I forget who...

So, the idea he hasn't tumed up is a bit silly, is it not? Not world best standards but as I say, I think he's passed his very best.

Portugal very jammy winners, do you think they would have done it without him?
This is the only sensible post in this thread. TBH I don't mind Portugal winning it and if it weren't for Ronaldo fanboys and some of his idiotic/cnutish antics I could fully appreciate him as a player, but that's life.

Absolutely right that he played a role, he did his job satisfactorily as an attacker he didn't need to have a stunning performance every game, just needed to bang a few in to get to the next round, and he did. But the fanboys can't just leave it at that and have to start hyping him up and compare him to players like Maradona, Pele, etc. When you look at it from that perspective, it does seem quite ridiculous to claim he's had a great tournament, carried his team etc.

Everyone needs to just calm down and call it what it is, no exaggeration needed. That goes for both his fans and the haters.

As for your question, I actually think they would have done just as well. Ronaldo did his bit but you can't say he was vital for them, replace him and someone else could be netting in a few goals here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.