Cristiano Ronaldo: Set to leave by mutual agreement

Is Ronaldo justified to say that he “feels betrayed” by Manchester United?

• Ronaldo should be not be allowed to play for United again

Votes: 1,536 81.7%
  • He's always been a massive bellend

Votes: 884 47.0%
  • Messi has always been the better player

Votes: 574 30.5%
  • He should be begged to come back with double the salary and ten Haag should bow to his greatness

Votes: 126 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cletus7

Love Ronaldo, his stance on certain issues at Manchester United are more or less correct in themselves especially his identification of the lack of a winning mentality and desire to improve among certain younger players during much of his second spell and his defence of Ole essentially...................but he has gone too far in giving this incredibly provocative interview with Piers Morgan.

The interview was designed to publicly provoke and Ronaldo knows full well what he was doing. There is no way back for him as you can`t have players especially those with his status conducting media warfare with his employer and tearing into the present manager - done with maximum exposure. Ronaldo always has warm opinions to say about Sir Alex but this interview is an example of the kind of player power that Sir Alex never did and never would tolerate.

I`m sad Ronaldo has chosen this way to go as I think he should have chosen a more dignified way.
He’s trying to rob the club of 16m. He wanted us to pay for him to play in champs league over the summer and now provoking us to payup his contract whilst he walks away to somewhere he can be wooden without being subbed.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The Ronaldo performing good last season is extremely exaggerated and actually a bit of a myth.

He played 30 league games last season and got 18 goals and 3 assists, but his 18 goals came in 12 games, he didn't score in 18 league games, which for a player that only offered goals and not much else in his all round game is actually not great.

18 games where the team was hampered by only playing for him yet him not contributing is part of what cost us last season.

United finished on 58 points last season, and Ronaldo's 18 goals and 3 assists only gained the team 15 points. To suggest a different striker couldn't help the team gain more than 15 points is questionable.

Ronaldo scored 10 of his 18 goals in 4 games. So in the remaining 26 games he played he only scored 8 goals.

He had a period where he only scored 1 goal in 8 games. He also had a period where he only scored 2 goals in 10 games.
I made that point several time recently. And to me that's the most telling, his total record is pure stat padding.

MrEleson

I made that point several time recently. And to me that's the most telling, his total record is pure stat padding.
I don’t think you really know the meaning of the phrase “stat padding.”

Almost all of Ronaldo’s goals were game winning or game tying goals. He seldom scored when United were up comfortably (did we even have any games like this last season?).
He always either scored the opener, the goal to tie the game or the winner.

Sure, he scored in a small proportion of games but you could attribute that to how poorly functional the rest of the team was. He had to work with scraps for the majority of the season. I’m not saying he wasn’t genuinely bad himself in periods but he wasn’t helped by the team either.

It’s funny how Maguire could be excused for how diabolical he was last season (with Ronaldo hilariously shouldering the blame from some people) but as soon as someone uses the same logic for Ronaldo (who genuinely had great games unlike Maguire) all hell breaks loose.

the_cliff

I don’t think you really know the meaning of the phrase “stat padding.”

Almost all of Ronaldo’s goals were game winning or game tying goals. He seldom scored when United were up comfortably (did we even have any games like this last season?).
He always either scored the opener, the goal to tie the game or the winner.

Sure, he scored in a small proportion of games but you could attribute that to how poorly functional the rest of the team was. He had to work with scraps for the majority of the season. I’m not saying he wasn’t genuinely bad himself in periods but he wasn’t helped by the team either.

It’s funny how Maguire could be excused for how diabolical he was last season (with Ronaldo hilariously shouldering the blame from some people) but as soon as someone uses the same logic for Ronaldo (who genuinely had great games unlike Maguire) all hell breaks loose.
Except that Maguire is not being excused, Maguire has been rightfully dropped and no one is defending Maguire and asking for Maguire to start. Maguire himself is also not doing interviews about him being 'disrespected' because his name isn't on the team sheet despite his terrible performances.

Also the 'Had to work with scraps' part really doesn't hold up when you realise only Salah and Mane had a higher xG than Ronaldo last season. So other than Salah and Mane if Ronaldo was feeding of scraps, so was every other player in the league.

Revaulx

Is this a good time to say Fred was easily our best outfield player last season or not?
It’s never a good time to say anything pro-Fred on here, sadly.

I think you’re right though, and certainly most of my regular United-watching friends would agree. Which makes the majority of his performances this season all the more disappointing.

Woodzy

It doesn’t matter what he’s done. What matters is how crap he’s become.
Exactly. It seems that the only argument from anyone pro-Ronaldo is that he is a legend and should be treated differently to any other footballer. It’s utter nonsense and makes zero sense, especially for a team trying to climb back up the ladder.

Chief123

The Ronaldo performing good last season is extremely exaggerated and actually a bit of a myth.

He played 30 league games last season and got 18 goals and 3 assists, but his 18 goals came in 12 games, he didn't score in 18 league games, which for a player that only offered goals and not much else in his all round game is actually not great.

18 games where the team was hampered by only playing for him yet him not contributing is part of what cost us last season.

United finished on 58 points last season, and Ronaldo's 18 goals and 3 assists only gained the team 15 points. To suggest a different striker couldn't help the team gain more than 15 points is questionable.

Ronaldo scored 10 of his 18 goals in 4 games. So in the remaining 26 games he played he only scored 8 goals.

He had a period where he only scored 1 goal in 8 games. He also had a period where he only scored 2 goals in 10 games.
Dayum, I always knew his stats last season were extremely flattering when compared to the eye test. But when you break it down like that, it’s very flattering to say the least.

wr8_utd

:'(
Not sure what's sadder to watch. Clubs around Europe turning Ronaldo down or his fanboys on here desperately defending the indefensible.

Woodzy

He needs to take one of those big money offers tbh. Enjoy the rest of his playing days earning a shit load of cash and an easy ride in a shit league.

ryansgirl

He’s trying to rob the club of 16m. He wanted us to pay for him to play in champs league over the summer and now provoking us to payup his contract whilst he walks away to somewhere he can be wooden without being subbed.
Yes, in a nutshell. Hopefully United have a tight legal case against him and I`d be surprised if going on national tv to tear apart your manager and criticise/attack your current club is not a sackable offence in a United player`s contract.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
no, I’m really not. You are literally incapable of being objective on anything related to Cristiano Ronaldo. No tricks or traps here.
Don’t be vague, about what exactly?

My whole point is about Ronaldo being biggest name/influence on the internet, would means our club would avoiding making a big fuss out of contract situation and would seek quick agreement on contract termination without compensation, as we don’t want all the unwanted distraction from the internet which might happened if we let this thing drag too long.

Judging from several responses from others on my original post, everyone seems to understand this point except you, who is still arguing on whether Ronaldo is biggest name/influence on internet instead, and completely missed the whole point I am trying to make.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
You'd think all the oppo fans backing him after that interview would be happy to see their clubs take him off our hands. Disingenuous twats.
The oppo fans know that he's done and of course wouldn't mind him staying at Old Trafford. You've just got die hard fans of his who don't.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely. His overall play, combination with the team and contribution to cohesiveness was poor then too, barring a few exceptions.

lex talionis

I’m #CR7OUT so don’t get me wrong, but stats have to understood in context. Fine, Ronaldo scored his 18 PL goals in only 4 matches or whatever is alleged here and thus is subject to severe criticism, but how many goals did Rashford, Martial and Sancho score…combined? I’m pretty sure it was less than 18.

So instead of arguing that Ronaldo was our best outfield player last season, which some people refuse to acknowledge, can we at least agree that Ronaldo was our least shite player last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.