Cristiano Ronaldo | Signs for United! Fcuk City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Except we can’t afford to pay nearly a million a week.
Well we can, it's just incredibly unfair on the rest of the team to have a 37 year old there on fantasy money when they earn 10% of what he does. I genuinely don't know if the dressing room even wants him there.

Its the same reason we technically CAN do more transfer business, but the club operates with a budgetary safety margin that accounts for another shutdown and loss of spectator income for a full season (That's what I would do, so I assume they they do as well). Essentially they'd be assuming a unbudgetd risk, and generally you never do that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Henry is considered the best again due to a combination of longevity and ability but I think most people would say for peak and ability Ronaldo is the best to have played in the league.
Henry was better than Ronaldo in the PL whether it's peak or longevity. That's why there's a consensus on him being the PL s greatest player. Otherwise it would be Giggs.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Well we can, it's just incredibly unfair on the rest of the team to have a 37 year old there on fantasy money when they earn 10% of what he does. I genuinely don't know if the dressing room even wants him there.
There is always discrepancy in pay within a dressing room. You can’t possibly think the team wouldn’t want one of the best players in the world. No bigger lift than signing Ronaldo even at his age cause he is still good.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No way we are going to pay him what he wants. He can go to City and do hissy fits there.

Silas

They are “offering” him to us? They know full well we can’t afford him. And when we “reject” him he signs for City and blames us for not signing him in the first place.
Exactly

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Why? Ronaldo didn't play his best years at United or in the PL.

In the PL, was Henry 02/03 season worse than Ronaldo's best season? On the field I don't think pick Henry was inferior to peak PL Ronaldo and statiscally Henry had a better season with 24 goals and 20 assists.
I just think having watched them both that Ronaldo was better. He did it in Europe too and yes I’m aware that doesn’t directly impact on the premier league but it does contribute to the idea that whilst here he was the best player in the world for.a season or two. He also won the abandon Dor again while in the prem. Henry was a class player though for sure.,

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There is always discrepancy in pay within a dressing room. You can’t possibly think the team wouldn’t want one of the best players in the world. No bigger lift than signing Ronaldo even at his age cause he is still good.
I mean, for me, I want Ronaldo here. Desperately.

Would the players be universally happy about it? I'd like to think so, but I'm not part of the playergroup so I wouldn't know.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Actually doing this transfer is right in the Glazer wheelhouse, it'd be comparable to the Tom Brady signing with the Buccaneers.
Yeah, true.

They must have learned something from the fiasco signings made in the Woodward era, though. Name over substance, as it were.

I'd be very, very surprised if Ole is keen on signing Ronaldo.

Charlie Foley

Bigger legends I agree. Better players not even close. As good as Giggs was he’s levels below the best of Ronaldo we saw, Cantona likewise. You are letting your affection for those players, or perhaps dislike of Ronaldo, cloud the reality. He’s the player with the most ability, who peaked the highest and who went on to achieve the most in his career, even if a lot of that was outside of Utd.

Think of it like this, if you could pick one player to put into the side, you would pick that Ronaldo from 2006-2009 over any other.
Roy Keane probably top of my list. We have a hole in midfield still.

RooneyLegend

Henry was better than Ronaldo in the PL whether it's peak or longevity. That's why there's a consensus on him being the PL s greatest player. Otherwise it would be Giggs.
Giggs is nowhere close. He was never even our best player let alone the best player ever in the league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I disagree but it’s certainly closer than Rooney was to Ronaldo.

DeGea

I am just trying to put myself in his shoes. Surely money is not short? I mean, why does he need so much?

RDCR07

I mean, for me, I want Ronaldo here. Desperately.

Would the players be universally happy about it? I'd like to think so, but I'm not part of the playergroup so I wouldn't know.
We are prolly the only team in history paying close to £500-600k on two GKs. If they are okay with that then they will be okay with anything else.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He once had said that he will only go back to United in Manchester.
If he goes to City he's a shite as he doesn't need ANY sort of oil money thrown at him.
That's just being greedy.

Chabon

Rooney and Ronaldo played together for five years, during which Ronaldo was only indisputably better for one season out of five.

It’s weird how Ronaldo’s last season with us is forgotten about. You know, the one where he scored in one away game in the league all season and look uninterested half the time.

RDCR07

I am just trying to put myself in his shoes. Surely money is not short? I mean, why does he need so much?
It is not the money. It’s about winning another league and Champions league. Only City outside of PSG can offer him that.

Vaibhav Raj

No way we are going to pay him what he wants. He can go to City and do hissy fits there.
Does anyone remember his on field tantrums the season after United refused the sell him to Real Madrid? Ronaldo literally started the campaign with "I won't celebrate a goal and look super grumpy when I know the camera is on me" shenanigan. The guy has always been a dramaqueen of the highest order.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It is not the money. It’s about winning another league and Champions league. Only City outside of PSG can offer him that.
He's 36 and in the twilight of his football career but if he signs with us we may make it too.
But wouldn't you feel a turncoat going to City ?

Red4Life_#7

If Ronaldo is desperate to leave Juve after 2 seasons, then City would not be the answer. I feel he wanted PSG as winning a title in another city or even Bayern, but knows the latter will not pay his kind of wage.

Going to City damages his United legacy completley. As he previously said, that's a money move.

Phil

Come on Paris, sell Mbappe and build the Messi Ronaldo dream team

RDCR07

He's 36 and in the twilight of his football career but if he signs with us we may make it too.
But wouldn't you feel a turncoat going to City ?
“may” is different. He is guaranteed to win the league with city or rather a much bigger chance to win the league. It adds to his legacy which is obviously what he cares about. More so than his standing with the United fans.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Does anyone remember his on field tantrums the season after United refused the sell him to Real Madrid? Ronaldo literally started the campaign with "I won't celebrate a goal and look super grumpy when I know the camera is on me" shenanigan. The guy has always been a dramaqueen of the highest order.
Do you remember he got 'injured' with a little cut or something across his stomach I think and he just walked off the pitch and down the tunnel.

Ferguson and the coaches were raging, scrambling trying to get a substitute on to the pitch

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I just think having watched them both that Ronaldo was better. He did it in Europe too and yes I’m aware that doesn’t directly impact on the premier league but it does contribute to the idea that whilst here he was the best player in the world for.a season or two. He also won the abandon Dor again while in the prem. Henry was a class player though for sure.,
So Ronaldo best PL years were better thatn Henry best PL years, despite tangible data showing that it's not really the case?

It's very difficult to argue that Henry isn't the better PL player compared to Ronaldo, even if you didn't give him the "peak" which is highly debatable, Henry was statisically better, he has longevity and consistency for him. As far as I know Henry is the consensus best PL player.

SER19

“may” is different. He is guaranteed to win the league with city or rather a much bigger chance to win the league. It adds to his legacy which is obviously what he cares about. More so than his standing with the United fans.
Winning one more of a trophy he has plenty of, with an oil club, adds very little while massively diminishing his status at a club that existed before 2009.

Pickle85

Lot of hasty revisionism in here. Rooney a better player than Ronaldo? Jesus wept...

Status
Not open for further replies.