Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
They spent 90m on him to win the CL. He’s scored 4 and 5 respectively, with 1/2 goals in the knock out stages, a respectable return but nowhere transformative. If Ronaldo has the same return/impact, it’ll be a lot of money down the sink even if they manage to maintain their domestic dominance.

I’ve said nothing about Higuain being bad so surprised you inferred that from my post.
10 goals in 22 games are not few. He scored 5 in the knock out stages and he served several assists in the CL, was key to get to the final last year and to the 1/4 this year. No player by himself not even Ronaldo guarantees the CL but disparaging Higuain's two seasons at Juve is absurd.

In any case as I already mentioned before the success of Ronaldo's investment will be measured on commercial success rather than simply on the number of goals scored.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Buffon (40) -> Perin (25)
Lichtsteiner (34) -> Cancelo (24)
Asamoah (29) -> Spinazzola (25)
Khedira (31) -> Emre Can (24)
And then there's also Caldara (24).

The team is getting younger and the transfer market isn't over yet.

At the moment this could be our starting 11:

Szczesny

Cancelo Benatia Chiellini Sandro

Can Pjanic Matuidi

Dybala Costa

Ronaldo

Average of 28, not really an old team.
Did Cancelo do well at Inter? That’s the most surprising transfer of the summer for me, no idea what Allegri saw in him. He’s shocking defensively, playing him in a back 4 against top opposition is suicide and you don’t really have any other rightbacks.

steferrari

Juventus Fan
Supports
Juventus
Did Cancelo do well at Inter? That’s the most surprising transfer of the summer for me, no idea what Allegri saw in him. He’s shocking defensively, playing him in a back 4 against top opposition is suicide and you don’t really have any other rightbacks.
A lot of people said that he can become one of the best in that role.
With Allegri and Juventus I'm sure that he will do very well.

stepic

To a competitive league.

It's not Juventus. It's their league. His whole season will be about the Champions League now. With that the case, he may as well have gone to PSG and won them their first ever CL

And don't pretend Serie A is competitive. I can't remember off the top of my head when anyone but Juventus won it
Saying the Serie A isn’t competitive is one thing, comparing a historic side like Juventus and the Italian league to fecking PSG and the French league is another.

Juve is a better choice than PSG all day long.

And what other competitive league is there? England? He’s done that. Germany isn’t competitive either and the Italian league is better for older players. It’s a sensible move.

RedFish

Right move for CR7. Massive club with history and tradition. He's been at United, Real, now with Juve.

I must be in a minority in that I detest La Liga, and will actually look forward to watching how he does in Serie A.

RyRy11

According to Yahoo Sport Italia, Juve sold roughly 520,000 Ronaldo shirts in the first 24 hours. Footyheadlines estimates they raked in roughly 54 million Euros on shirt sales alone (what percentage of that goes to Adidas and Juve im not clear on).

Green_Red

Best of luck Ronnie.

Becomes an United Legend and potentially our best player ever (During his time here).
Becomes an Madrid Legend and best ever player with a 1:1+ goal ration

Before he retires he'll be a Juventus legend too.
Just no.

KC91

Atalanta crushed this Everton, not this one.

Or do you think that transfermarkt puts the total market value of Serie A players in almost half the amount of the PL ones because they're just north biased?
Theres always going to be an inherent bias towards the EPL & the players there due to the exposure and the money in the league.

The top 10 of Serie A is just as competitve as the PL, its the bottom 10 where I’d give the PL the advantage, but thats mostly due to infastructure/money.

marktan

Looked a bit fat in the medical to me, hope he's kept fit over the summer.

Green_Red

He might not be United's greatest player ever, but you can definitely make a case for it. What you can't do is to simply brush it off with a arrogant "just no".
Yes I can. He is a great player whose career post United has influenced how people percieve his time here. If he had done nothing after United he wouldnt be talked as our "greatest ever"

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Now he needs to stop his shirtless shenanigans, Turin is cold.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Looked a bit fat in the medical to me, hope he's kept fit over the summer.
One thing you can never do is accuse Ronaldo of being fat or out of shape.
Ronaldo simply won't allow it.

SirAF

Ageist
Yes I can. He is a great player whose career post United has influenced how people percieve his time here. If he had done nothing after United he wouldnt be talked as our "greatest ever"
Just no.

Crimson King

According to Yahoo Sport Italia, Juve sold roughly 520,000 Ronaldo shirts in the first 24 hours. Footyheadlines estimates they raked in roughly 54 million Euros on shirt sales alone (what percentage of that goes to Adidas and Juve im not clear on).
Pretty sure it all goes to Adidas...that's how shirt deals normally work.

Gives them a good hand when renegotiating sponsorship though I guess, and his presence will no doubt increase their commercial revenue to some degree.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
He might not be the greatest ever, that's surely got to go to Bobby Charlton but as far as our best player is concerned Ronaldo definitely has a dog in the race. In the 50+ years I've been watching United George is the only one that I've seen that really would give him a run for his money.

SirAF

Ageist
Just yes. Hes a great player but a very long way off our greatest ever.
I'm not saying he is, but you can make a good case for it. He was the key player in winning three straight league titles and the elusive CL trophy - he's also one of only four United players to have won the Ballon d'Or.

Crimson King

When we were linked with him some of the more knowledgeable caftards wanted us to steer clear, apparently he hasn't progressed much since his breakthrough.

So it was indeed a surprise, especially at that price. Their system might cover some of his defensive flaws and allow his attacking game to come to the fore though, I guess.

Ixion

He might not be United's greatest player ever, but you can definitely make a case for it. What you can't do is to simply brush it off with a arrogant "just no".
I'd love to know the case for Ronaldo being United's greatest ever player over someone like Bobby Charlton. Because he scored 42 goals in a season?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's painful to see that we didn't even go in for him :annoyed:
Obviously we are focusing on getting some value in the market - we managed to get that 35 year old GK for a good price - so there is that, I suppose.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd love to know the case for Ronaldo being United's greatest ever player over someone like Bobby Charlton or Ryan Giggs. Because he scored 42 goals in a season?
See post #541.

SirAF

Ageist
We are not convinced. Bobby Charlton has all the things you mentioned plus 750 games.
You don't have to be convinced - I, myself, wouldn't argue against sir Bobby being United's GOAT - what I am arguing against is to FLAT OUT discount Ronaldo.

Green_Red

He might not be the greatest ever, that's surely got to go to Bobby Charlton but as far as our best player is concerned Ronaldo definitely has a dog in the race. In the 50+ years I've been watching United George is the only one that I've seen that really would give him a run for his money.
Top spot IMO is contested by Charlton and Best. After that I put of a group of long termers that have added to the clubs success. Robson, Keane, Scholes, Giggs.. After that I put Ronaldo in the next group.

lewwoo

We should have gone for him. Alright I know his age and it would be a hard pill to swallow paying more than we sold him for all those years ago. Plus the argument he is in decline and couldnt handle the premier league but its Ronaldo. He could give us a couple brilliant seasons and what a ride it would of been. Might of boosted the other players and gave us that edge to win our first post Fergie title and catalyst for future success.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You don't have to be convinced - I, myself, wouldn't argue against sir Bobby being United's GOAT - what I am arguing against is to FLAT OUT discount Ronaldo.
Well, everyone is flat out discounted, not just Ronaldo. It's one of the rare thing that should unit us and not create endless debates.:D

Trizy

I'm surprised PSG weren't desperate to sign him. I know they have to sell first and most likely couldn't get the funds (legally). But you'd imagine he'd grow their profile massively.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'm surprised PSG weren't desperate to sign him. I know they have to sell first and most likely couldn't get the funds (legally). But you'd imagine he'd grow their profile massively.
They’d need to sell Neymar to afford Ronaldo, it could have been an interesting option to try to win the Champions League but they simply can’t sell Neymar after one year. It would be terrible for their image and that’s the main thing they care about.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Juventus just got an extra fan. Going to be watching United + Juve games all year! Can't wait.

We are living in history seeing the GOAT embark a new adventure in another league.

Nucks

RT History Department
Top spot IMO is contested by Charlton and Best. After that I put of a group of long termers that have added to the clubs success. Robson, Keane, Scholes, Giggs.. After that I put Ronaldo in the next group.
Love how Rooney isn't in that list. Who was better than Keane, Scholes, and Giggs. Rooney however, had the audacity to question United's ambition and ask for a transfer in the modern contract game of "I'm unhappy, I want to leave, ohhhhh you want to offer me more money, well let me just sign right here then!".

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Juventus just got an extra fan. Going to be watching United + Juve games all year! Can't wait.

We are living in history seeing the GOAT embark a new adventure in another league.
This. Never bought a footy shirt other than Porto's and Maradona's Albiceleste but this time I'll get one from Juve. This move could indeed reignite the flame of Série A. Always prefere it to the boring pass and move La Liga.

Status
Not open for further replies.