Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's painful to see that we didn't even go in for him :annoyed:
Obviously we are focusing on getting some value in the market - we managed to get that 35 year old GK for a good price - so there is that, I suppose.
I don´t think that the price would be the same. 100m was probably the limit for Juve but you can pay much more. Anyway I think it was a right choice. You can´t be living always in the past

Hellboy

According to Yahoo Sport Italia, Juve sold roughly 520,000 Ronaldo shirts in the first 24 hours. Footyheadlines estimates they raked in roughly 54 million Euros on shirt sales alone (what percentage of that goes to Adidas and Juve im not clear on).
this nonsense again ...

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
The shirt sales myth... it never dies. Like a vampire it keeps getting back up. Someone drive a wooden stake through its heart! :lol:

Might watch a couple of Juve games to see how Ronaldo takes to life in Serie A. :)

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
To be entirely honest, on Juve online shop the 2018/19 kit is sold out until September. It can be bought now but they’ll deliver it in September because the current stock went sold out.

Is Ronaldo going to repay himself through shirt sales? No, of course.

But the amount of shirts sold has increased exponentially.

Sterling Archer

To be entirely honest, on Juve online shop the 2018/19 kit is sold out until September. It can be bought now but they’ll deliver it in September because the current stock went sold out.

Is Ronaldo going to repay himself through shirt sales? No, of course.

But the amount of shirts sold has increased exponentially.
Not a huge surprise to be honest. I'll probably get a Ronaldo Juve kit now. I'm sure there are plenty of other folks out there that will do the same simply because it's Ronaldo. I did the same when Beckham moved - one of my beloved United players giving me a reason to get another shirt

Valerio

Supports
Juventus
Juventus deal with Adidas has the 15% over world sales from Adidas shops while shirts sold via e-commerce goes fully to Juventus.
Juventus refused a 6m/year fee to manage fully the merchandise so it's not the typical "all goes to adidas"

The shirt sales myth... it never dies. Like a vampire it keeps getting back up. Someone drive a wooden stake through its heart! :lol:

Might watch a couple of Juve games to see how Ronaldo takes to life in Serie A. :)

Accordo Juventus Adidas, le modifiche al contratto originario

Con le modifiche apportate all’accordo con Adidas, la Juventus ha rinunciato invece ai 6 milioni aggiuntivi di minimo garantito, con l’obiettivo di guadagnare di più attraverso la gestione diretta di licensing e merchanding. Gestione diretta, che è bene sottolinearlo, comporta non solo un incremento potenziale dei ricavi, ma anche maggiori investimenti e maggiori costi di gestione.

La strategia della Juventus sarà dunque premiante? Ma soprattutto permetterà di avvicinare i ricavi commerciali del club bianconero a quelli dei top club europei? Per rispondere a queste domande abbiamo preso in esame sia il precedente accordo che legava la Juventus alla Nike sia il nuovo accordo con Adidas per capirne le differenze e calcolare quello che potrebbe essere il beneficio della nuova strategia sui conti della società bianconera.
Juventus Adidas agreement, changes to the original contract

With the changes made to the agreement with Adidas, Juventus has renounced the additional 6 million guaranteed minimum, with the goal of earning more through the direct management of licensing and merchandising. Direct management, which is good to underline, involves not only a potential increase in revenues, but also greater investments and higher operating costs.

So will Juventus' strategy be rewarding? But above all, will it allow us to bring the commercial revenues of the Juventus club closer to those of the top European clubs? To answer these questions we examined both the previous agreement that linked Juventus to Nike and the new agreement with Adidas to understand the differences and calculate what could be the benefit of the new strategy on the accounts of the Juventus company.

Last edited:
Reactions: harms

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Juventus deal with Adidas has the 15% over world sales from Adidas shops while shirts sold via e-commerce goes fully to Juventus.
Juventus refused a 6m/year fee to manage fully the merchandise so it's not the typical "all goes to adidas"
This.
Juve negotiated a deal with Adidas which allow Bianconeri to handle its own merchandising & licensing activities.. They buy the jerseys from Adidas and resell...

Just see the financial reports, for example:

http://www.juventus.com/media/native/investor-relations-docs/BoD approves figures for the first half of 2017-2018.pdf

2016/17 Financial year:

- Purchases of products for sale: € 8.290.140
- Revenues of sales of product and licensing:€ 19.198.979

They earned € 11 mln in the 2016/17 season from the licensing and merchandising activities when, according to SportBible, they sold 850.000 jerseys:

Peacemachine

this nonsense again ...
Yeah that's bullshit.

Here is two facts for misinformed peeps:
1) in 2016 they negotiated to have direct sales of merchandise in exchange for a lower sponsorship deal with Adidas
2) They end up paying Dybalaesque wages to CR7 as the rest is gonna get provided by FCA (details in the annual report)

In the end the Ronaldo deal will barely cost more than Higuain. It's actually sad that some people assume Juventus' cunning board would put the club at risk with 400mil luggage. They are playing some serious 4D chess in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peacemachine

They were good on the pitch but they weren't really relevant. With the jersey sale numbers above being accurate, Ronnie is making them relevant again.
oh sorry you are right, I forgot that instagram followers and shirt sales by bandwagoning fans was the benchmark for a Football Club and not pitch performance

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
1) in 2016 they negotiated to have direct sales of merchandise in exchange for a lower sponsorship deal with Adidas
2) They end up paying Dybalaesque wages to CR7 as the rest is gonna get provided by FCA (details in the annual report)

In the end the Ronaldo deal will barely cost more than Higuain. It's actually sad that some people assume Juventus' cunning board would put the club at risk with 400mil luggage. They are playing some serious 4D chess in here.
Oh wow. Well done Juventus.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
They were good on the pitch but they weren't really relevant. With the jersey sale numbers above being accurate, Ronnie is making them relevant again.
right so it is the shirt sales that make a club relevant, record serie A titles and CL finals are just marginal :D Great post mate!

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt

Well, well, well. . . Who'd have thought it. . . eh?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Sounds interesting. What does "direct sales of merchandise" mean exactly? How much will they earn per unit? Can hardly imagine that they buy in from adidas at the production costs.

The only source I could finde is this: https://www.football-italia.net/40963/juventus-announce-adidas-deal
and it says that adidas will take care of Juventus' merchandising and licensing activities from 2015 to 2021 for a payment of 6m per year. Also, the club would profit from "additional royalty payment upon exceeding a threshold of sales".

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Sounds interesting. What does "direct sales of merchandise" mean exactly? How much will they earn per unit? Can hardly imagine that they buy in from adidas at the production costs.

The only source I could finde is this: https://www.football-italia.net/40963/juventus-announce-adidas-deal
and it says that adidas will take care of Juventus' merchandising and licensing activities from 2015 to 2021 for a payment of 6m per year. Also, the club would profit from "additional royalty payment upon exceeding a threshold of sales".
They refused those 6 million. If I understand correctly from their own stores they get 100% of the money from shirt sales, although they obviously have to buy them from Adidas plus have some additional costs. From Adidas stores they just get a small percentage like other clubs. It’s complicated enough to not know how much money they’ll make from it.

If they didn’t agree to get those 6 million it should be because they’re getting more money this way though.

mancan92

It doesn't make it any more believable
Well Juventus are estimated to have 180 million fans worldwide. Most of them likely will have not seen a transfer this big in their lifetime. They are buying one of the most marketable people in the world. I don't see it as a stretch to suggest half a million of that 180 million have bought Ronaldo shirts

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
They refused those 6 million. If I understand correctly from their own stores they get 100% of the money from shirt sales, although they obviously have to buy them from Adidas plus have some additional costs. From Adidas stores they just get a small percentage like other clubs. It’s complicated enough to not know how much money they’ll make from it.

If they didn’t agree to get those 6 million it should be because they’re getting more money this way though.
That is for sure obviously. There are no official data on the earnings per shirts but looking at the raw data it can be estimated at about 100% markup minus operating costs that should not be too high considering that the majority comes from the online sales. I would assume Juve makes about 40% of the final sale price on the direct sales (Net of VAT) and 15-20% on indirect sales via other distributors

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Well Juventus are estimated to have 180 million fans worldwide. Most of them likely will have not seen a transfer this big in their lifetime. They are buying one of the most marketable people in the world. I don't see it as a stretch to suggest half a million of that 180 million have bought Ronaldo shirts
yes and those are on top of Ronaldo fans that buy his shirts regardless and are estimated as more than half a billion. The estimate they have made from what I read is around 1-2 million shirts/year for Ronaldo, with around half million that would have been sold anyway with other names and the rest net gain

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Okay, that definitely sheds some light on the topic. However, even if they'd vastly outperform these six million per year the additional profit would be far from even covering Ronaldo's wages.

Not saying that this isn't amazing or he's not the best marketed footballer in the world. I just think that there's no way that Ronaldo merchandise will even barely cover the immense money Juve has to spend on him.

That is for sure obviously. There are no official data on the earnings per shirts but looking at the raw data it can be estimated at about 100% markup minus operating costs that should not be too high considering that the majority comes from the online sales. I would assume Juve makes about 40% of the final sale price on the direct sales (Net of VAT) and 15-20% on indirect sales via other distributors
That sounds reasonable although I think your assumptions are still a little bit too optimistic. A quick research estimates that the average profit margins on sports clothing are between 30 and 36% and net profit margins sometimes in the single digit areas because of high operational costs.

yes and those are on top of Ronaldo fans that buy his shirts regardless and are estimated as more than half a billion. The estimate they have made from what I read is around 1-2 million shirts/year for Ronaldo, with around half million that would have been sold anyway with other names and the rest net gain
More than half a billion fans? 1 to 2 million shirts per year? That sounds pretty impossible to me, even for him. From 2011 to 2016, Real Madrid sold averagely 1.65 million shirts in total. Doubt that Ronaldo outperforms that. That would require a lot of Portugal shirts to be sold.

B&Wandmore

Supports
juventus
Okay, that definitely sheds some light on the topic. However, even if they'd vastly outperform these six million per year the additional profit would be far from even covering Ronaldo's wages.

Not saying that this isn't amazing or he's not the best marketed footballer in the world. I just think that there's no way that Ronaldo merchandise will even barely cover the immense money Juve has to spend on him.

That sounds reasonable although I think your assumptions are still a little bit too optimistic. A quick research estimates that the average profit margins on sports clothing are between 30 and 36% and net profit margins sometimes in the single digit areas because of high operational costs.
Not sure what data you are looking at, but if you limit the analysis to the online direct distribution which is what I was making reference to the costs are those of apparel purchase. fixed costs would be low therefore 20% of markups margin would not seem unreasonable or overly optimistic and if the markup is about 100% (therefore gross margin about 50% of sale price)to estimate the margin at 40% of sale price.

More than half a billion fans? 1 to 2 million shirts per year? That sounds pretty impossible to me, even for him. From 2011 to 2016, Real Madrid sold averagely 1.65 million shirts in total. Doubt that Ronaldo outperforms that. That would require a lot of Portugal shirts to be sold.
What sounds unreasonable? He sold over 1 million shirts per year with Real and while they have more fans, there was not any more the novelty factor. Ronaldo has over 330 million followers just on social media even accounting for duplicates it means over 200 millions that follow him on social and he is the most popular sport personality in the world if I am not wrong, estimating over half a billion seems about right to me

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
he is the most popular sport personality in the world if I am not wrong...
This is highly dubious because football is so parochial and tribal. Just because lots of people follow him on Twitter, it doesn't mean that they're going to rush out and buy a Juventus shirt. I think Messi is the best footballer that I've ever seen, but I've never bought a Barcelona shirt in my life, and never would. Equally, Twitter is a very poor barometer for popularity. Lots of people follow Piers Morgan, but I'd hardly describe him as popular. For some bizarre reason, people follow him so that they can abuse him.

Most football supporters don't like Ronaldo. It's really only Man United, Real Madrid, and Portugal fans who like him, and now Juventus. Are Real Madrid fans going to rush out and buy a Juventus Ronaldo shirt? No, they're not. Most of them will already have forgotten about him, and will be more concerned with whether or not they're going to sign Hazard. It's only really a delusional tranche of United fans who still like him, because they've bought into his quite transparently insincere public pronouncements, and believe that he might return to Manchester one day, which he obviously never had any intention of doing.

The only people who are going to be buying Ronaldo shirts are kids, Portugese people, and Juventus fans. No-one else gives two hoots about his move to Juventus.

In terms of being the most popular sportsman in the world, I would say Roger Federer is far more popular, as he's almost universally liked by everyone who has even a passing interest in tennis, whereas far more football supporters dislike Ronaldo than like him. I respect him as a player, but even when he played for United and I used to watch him in the flesh, he was never a favourite of mine, because he was quite obviously always about one thing and one thing only (in a team game)...the person who he sees in the mirror.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is highly dubious because football is so parochial and tribal. Just because lots of people follow him on Twitter, it doesn't mean that they're going to rush out and buy a Juventus shirt. I think Messi is the best footballer that I've ever seen, but I've never bought a Barcelona shirt in my life, and never would. Equally, Twitter is a very poor barometer for popularity. Lots of people follow Piers Morgan, but I'd hardly describe him as popular. For some bizarre reason, people follow him so that they can abuse him.

Most football supporters don't like Ronaldo. It's really only Man United, Real Madrid, and Portugal fans who like him, and now Juventus. Are Real Madrid fans going to rush out and buy a Juventus Ronaldo shirt? No, they're not. Most of them will already have forgotten about him, and will be more concerned with whether or not they're going to sign Hazard. It's only really a delusional tranche of United fans who still like him, because they've bought into his quite transparently insincere public pronouncements, and believe that he might return to Manchester one day, which he obviously never had any intention of doing.

The only people who are going to be buying Ronaldo shirts are kids, Portugese people, and Juventus fans. No-one else gives two hoots about his move to Juventus.

In terms of being the most popular sportsman in the world, I would say Roger Federer is far more popular, as he's almost universally liked by everyone who has even a passing interest in tennis, whereas far more football supporters dislike Ronaldo than like him. I respect him as a player, but even when he played for United and I used to watch him in the flesh, he was never a favourite of mine, because he was quite obviously always about one thing and one thing only (in a team game)...the person who he sees in the mirror.
Do you realize he has the highest no. of followers in social media, and highest earnings in endorsements? Its not just about choosing your favourite or most likeable sportsman, if you understand what I mean.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
Do you realize he has the highest no. of followers in social media, and highest earnings in endorsements? Its not just about choosing your favourite or most likeable sportsman, if you understand what I mean.
As I say, I wouldn't read too much into social media. The reason he has big endorsement contracts is that he's a highly recognisable figure. He's undoubtedly very famous. But I wouldn't say he's the most popular sportsman in the world. I could name several who are more popular. Popularity and notoriety are not the same thing. People like Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods and Roger Federer are more loved and more popular. I bet no-one pays Ronaldo $300 million to wear their clothes after he's retired, as Federer has agreed with UNIQLO.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
According to the SZ (certainly not the worst german newspaper) insiders from Adidas deem 300k sold Ronaldo shirts till the end of the year realistic.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
As I say, I wouldn't read too much into social media. The reason he has big endorsement contracts is that he's a highly recognisable figure. He's undoubtedly very famous. But I wouldn't say he's the most popular sportsman in the world. I could name several who are more popular. Popularity and notoriety are not the same thing. People like Usain Bolt, Tiger Woods and Roger Federer are more loved and more popular. I bet no-one pays Ronaldo $300 million to wear their clothes after he's retired, as Federer has agreed with UNIQLO.
I don't think Tiger Woods qualifies. Since his scandals he lost a lot of big sponsorships and he isn't really popular or loved by the masses anymore. I haven't even heard much about him in almost a decade. He is not even on this list of Top25 highest paid athletes (salary, bonus + endorsements) and it includes four golfers.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

This is one of the silliest posts I have read on here about Ronaldo. The guy is an icon, whether you like it or not. From China, to North America, to Europe to Africa he is a global name that everyone recognizes. Almost every casual football fan knows about him.

Federrer/Tennis does not have anything close to Ronaldo on a global level.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I think you if all you consume is Western media then yes, you will think Tiger Woods is as big a star but if you look beyond I an assure you there are probably 50-60 countries where Ronaldo is known and not Tiger Woods.

Main reason for that is football is much bigger than golf or tennis.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Mate, Portugal won the Euros and there were parties of thousands in the streets of random countries in Africa and Asia because of Ronaldo. He’s the biggest sports star in history.

Mainly because of globalization and football being much more popular than other sports but it’s still true.

This might be a surprise to you but not everyone shares your hatred filled view of Ronaldo. You see an egotistical twat, others see someone that came from pretty much nothing and worked his ass off to be what he is. He has a divisive character to say the least but so did Kobe and Jordan...

Your idea that to generate more money you need to be a Federer or Bolt that have less people against them is ridiculous.

Kearnkoff69

Mate, Portugal won the Euros and there were parties of thousands in the streets of random countries in Africa and Asia because of Ronaldo. He’s the biggest sports star in history.

Mainly because of globalization and football being much more popular than other sports but it’s still true.

This might be a surprise to you but not everyone shares your hatred filled view of Ronaldo. You see an egotistical twat, others see someone that came from pretty much nothing and worked his ass off to be what he is. He has a divisive character to say the least but so did Kobe and Jordan...

Your idea that to generate more money you need to be a Federer or Bolt that have less people against them is ridiculous.
Don't want to jump into a fierce debate where I have no particularly strong feelings, but this bolded statement is a stretch. I know you're Portuguese and immensely proud of having such a star from your country, but he isn't the biggest "in history" for me.

I'd still say, taking all sports into account, Jordan still owns that title. There is no way he could compare to Ronaldo in terms of jerseys sold, etc., but the impact he had not only on the court but also off of it was groundbreaking. Jordan challenged and completely upended the status quo of sportswear, got his own brand, and became an off-court mega-player in a way that was unparalleled at the time (and has yet to be replicated). I don't even like Jordan, but his impact on what athletes could achieve set the stage for the new era of sports stars.

If it weren't for Jordan, we wouldn't have Ronaldo signing sponsorships with Egyptian Steel or putting out his own underwear line. Ronaldo is certainly up there and I understand you're going to be biased, but I can't look past the OG.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Don't want to jump into a fierce debate where I have no particularly strong feelings, but this bolded statement is a stretch. I know you're Portuguese and immensely proud of having such a star from your country, but he isn't the biggest "in history" for me.

I'd still say, taking all sports into account, Jordan still owns that title. There is no way he could compare to Ronaldo in terms of jerseys sold, etc., but the impact he had not only on the court but also off of it was groundbreaking. Jordan challenged and completely upended the status quo of sportswear, got his own brand, and became an off-court mega-player in a way that was unparalleled at the time (and has yet to be replicated). I don't even like Jordan, but his impact on what athletes could achieve set the stage for the new era of sports stars.

If it weren't for Jordan, we wouldn't have Ronaldo signing sponsorships with Egyptian Steel or putting out his own underwear line. Ronaldo is certainly up there and I understand you're going to be biased, but I can't look past the OG.
I say he’s the biggest because globalization increased and football is a more popular sport. In relative terms Jordan was bigger but I bet more people know about Ronaldo world wide than they knew about Jordan, because of those 2 factors.

Same way the difference between Ronaldo and LeBron is big.

Status
Not open for further replies.